• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Colin Was Right: Xbox's E3 Gambit (Feb 23)

I suspect a halo teaser, a new Banjo in development, Crackdown gameplay, new fighter, and some new initiatives for Scorpio. And wouldn't be surprised if they say f'it and make exclusives for it under the "VR compatible" label.

But otherwise I don't buy it totally that stuff will change in an eyes blink, cause even the predictions I mentioned probably won't be enough to change it for em.

Why buy a scorpio when the next xbox will be out in 2 years

I just bought an XB1S and PS4 Pro... traded in my launch PS4 to gamestop for $175 (thx GS promo!), gave my wife my Darth Vader PS4, and now I'm riding in style.

I won't buy any more consoles until PS5. *Maybe* a Scorpio for myself to give my wife the XB1S.

I completely disagree on the Xbox games on PC point. They're, by and large, different markets - if anything, the Xbox Anywhere approach strengthened my case for picking up an XB1, although I've only picked up one compatible title so far.

MS have been definitely stepping in the right direction with both that and BC, among other things, when it comes to offering services. What E3 needs to prove, as everyone has pointed out, is what they have up their sleeves in terms of games - we really know nothing about the post-2017 line-up provided Crackdown is a 2017 title.

I expect them to lower another couch from the ceiling while the audience wears space ponchos. They will then bring out Usher once again to promote Just Dance Scorpio Edition. Then they will bring out Roger Goodell to speak at length about the all new improved NFL App for Scorpio. Next up is Mark Z. to talk extensively about the all new life changing Facebook app on Scorpio. Finally they will close out the show with an awkward Occulus demo.

Edit: But wait!!!

Mattrick returns to take the stage brandishing an all new Kinect 3 tattoo. Mic drop...
If this happens I will buy a Scorpio. Make it two, one for the rec room and one for the solarium.

Nicely edited video, although most of the points are obvious to those of us that follow this type of stuff. MS could charter 5 new studios to make AAA exclusives right now, and they'd still have work to do to catch up to Sony. The Scorpio has to knock its conference + branding + marketing out of the park to make a bigger dent in the market than the One has.

I completely disagree on the Xbox games on PC point. They're, by and large, different markets - if anything, the Xbox Anywhere approach strengthened my case for picking up an XB1, although I've only picked up one compatible title so far.

MS have been definitely stepping in the right direction with both that and BC, among other things, when it comes to offering services. What E3 needs to prove, as everyone has pointed out, is what they have up their sleeves in terms of games - we really know nothing about the post-2017 line-up provided Crackdown is a 2017 title.

What do you mean we don't know what the post-2017 lineup is? Halo 6 will be a post-2017 title. Gears 5 will be a post-2017 title. Forza Horizon 4 will be a post-2017 title. The Ori follow-up will also, most likely, wind up being a post-2017 title. They'll announce Halo 6 & the Ori follow-up at this year's E3. We'll also get a few VR games announced for it too. But outside of that, MS just doesn't have enough producers in their 1st party pipeline to have that many more titles in production.

What annoys me is folks aren't interested in discussion on this topic. They keep regurgitating their stance without acknowledging counterpoints.

I think you didnt watch the video.

The only logic Colin has that justifies this viewpoint is that Scorpio is potentially a backdoor console generation upgrade onto itself. Not only is Scorpio not that, but MS has continually insisted it isn't, and Colin and many others refuse to believe it.

It's an iterative console; Colin has previously completely bashed iterative consoles/PS4 Pro, but has continually given the Scorpio a pass on this even though its the exact same thing.

What do you mean we don't know what the post-2017 lineup is? Halo 6 will be a post-2017 title. Gears 5 will be a post-2017 title. Forza Horizon 4 will be a post-2017 title. The Ori follow-up will also, most likely, wind up being a post-2017 title. They'll announce Halo 6 & the Ori follow-up at this year's E3. We'll also get a few VR games announced for it too. But outside of that, MS just doesn't have enough producers in their 1st party pipeline to have that many more titles in production.

So Halo, Forza and Ori for 2018, that's it? You going to double down on it or maybe wait to see if they have partnerships already in place with two/three/four second party developers that we know nothing about yet?

Regardless of whether it is accurate to call the Scorpion a new generation or not, generation shifts are pretty much the only times where Microsoft actually puts an effort into their lineup beyond Halo/Forza/Gears. So if MS truly intends to treat the Scorpio as a new generation in terms of first-party games, this would be a relatively good year to be an xbox fan

Pretty much. At some point he and Greg need to admit they were wrong.

Especially with the most recent firmware update.
The list of games where I had a much better experience (technical, performance) with due to the Pro is growing rapidly. And I don't even play on a 4K screen.

I'm definitely extremely interested in Scorpio, unlike the XB1.

Shrennin

Didn't get the memo regarding the 14th Amendment
It isn't a new generation, just an iterated Xbox One. The fact that Colin is insisting on trying to sell this fantasy is very frustrating.

That's not confirmed either way. It's been called a generational leap from those who would be in the know. We just won't know until it's officially revealed. Anything is game at this point given there's so little information about it.

My hopes are that it is a new leap, and on that leap we see new Xbox exclusives that are not the trilogy.

There is no excitement from me if its an Xbox Pro, with no new games to present.

So Halo, Forza and Ori for 2018, that's it? You going to double down on it or maybe wait to see if they have partnerships already in place with two/three/four second party developers that we know nothing about yet?

Let's go through who they may have partnerships with then:

Big 3rd party publishers - not gonna happen. PS4 has too big a lead, MS has already said they are not interested in doing this (although its more they can't really afford to buy this sort of contract more than anything), and 3rd parties are making so much of their ROI on PS4 that cutting it out would be suicide.

Independent Developers - the few indie devs that are floating around that have had a previous relationship with MS, and many of them aren't doing anything with them any longer. Obsidian, Insomniac, Platinum, and Remedy are the most immediate ones that come to mind that we know are not going to be working with MS going forward. Armature could be doing a Recore 2, but going by how well I know the Xbox team & its 3rd party managers, I doubt they'd continue to pursue a franchise that sold as poorly as Recore 1 did with the developer who produced it. We already know the other project the Forza Horizon devs are producing is being published by a 3rd party, so thats not on their slate either. That leaves a few shops to potentially do a game with, including Gearbox (who are all-in on Borderlands 3), The Workshop (who have been silent for awhile now), or a smaller UK shop.

I'm not saying a small, non-publisher studio can't be working with MS. I'm saying, of the studios that fall into this criteria, who could still be working with MS? It's not like there are a ton of options out there right now. The most I could see is MS scooping up & funding some VR projects.

prwxv3

The only logic Colin has that justifies this viewpoint is that Scorpio is potentially a backdoor console generation upgrade onto itself. Not only is Scorpio not that, but MS has continually insisted it isn't, and Colin and many others refuse to believe it.

It's an iterative console; Colin has previously completely bashed iterative consoles/PS4 Pro, but has continually given the Scorpio a pass on this even though its the exact same thing.

to be fair a ton of people are refusing to believe it. The crushing disappointment (for what people expect) is going to be glorious. Anyone having expectations of the Scorpio being like the PSpro are going to be very happy I think.

That's not confirmed either way. It's been called a generational leap from those who would be in the know. We just won't know until it's officially revealed. Anything is game at this point given there's so little information about it.

Yes, it is confirmed - PHIL SPENCER HAS SAID ITS AN ITERATIVE CONSOLE (just not in those exact words, just in terms of function). Like, MS has gone on record & talked about what the Scorpio is & isn't. We haven't gotten specs, and we don't know what VR solution they'll be pursuing (surprise, its Oculus) but thinking the door is wide open on what it can be is foolish, given MS has insisted multiple times on what it is going to be already. Its the fans who refuse to believe that its all it can be.

Microsoft's own words say there will be no games on Scorpio that aren't on Xbox 1. That is confirmation that it's not a new generation, regardless of the power leap.

As for the power issue, the X1 is not losing to PS4 because it's weak. Power has never been a significant factor in which systems sell the most in a generation. It's about 3rd party deals, gimmicks, marketing, games, and word of mouth. Sony has aggressively courted core gamers who in turn got their friends to buy PS4s and it snowballed. A more powerful system alone is not going to turn the tide back in Microsoft's favour, especially if the pricetag is high.

Zukkoyaki

Big 3rd party publishers - not gonna happen. PS4 has too big a lead, MS has already said they are not interested in doing this (although its more they can't really afford to buy this sort of contract more than anything), and 3rd parties are making so much of their ROI on PS4 that cutting it out would be suicide.

Independent Developers - the few indie devs that are floating around that have had a previous relationship with MS, and many of them aren't doing anything with them any longer. Obsidian, Insomniac, Platinum, and Remedy are the most immediate ones that come to mind that we know are not going to be working with MS going forward. Armature could be doing a Recore 2, but going by how well I know the Xbox team & its 3rd party managers, I doubt they'd continue to pursue a franchise that sold as poorly as Recore 1 did with the developer who produced it. We already know the other project the Forza Horizon devs are producing is being published by a 3rd party, so thats not on their slate either. That leaves a few shops to potentially do a game with, including Gearbox (who are all-in on Borderlands 3), The Workshop (who have been silent for awhile now), or a smaller UK shop.

I'm not saying a small, non-publisher studio can't be working with MS. I'm saying, of the studios that fall into this criteria, who could still be working with MS? It's not like there are a ton of options out there right now. The most I could see is MS scooping up & funding some VR projects.

Iron Galaxy is possible I suppose.

Any other potential partner would have to be kind of out of the blue or a first-time partnership. Someone like Digital Extremes (Warframe, who are actually hiring a lot right now) Yager or Avalanche.

Crayon

It would take so long for enough scorpios to get out there to start targeting as a new generation. The the next Xbox would end up hampered by the Scorpio. It just doesn't make sense. It's an Xbox one pro. That's just the only way it makes sense.

I don't know if I will write a thread on this but I believe that Xbox has been slowly growing their platform services and are going to highlight those more than anything while on Scorpio. Their marketing has an easier time more than ever to deliver Scorpio.

Look at how they could possibly market Madden '18.
"Best graphics on the most powerful console"
"Participate in tournaments with Xbox Arena"
"Watch tournaments on Beam (iOS, Android, PC, Web)"
"Broadcast your game on Beam"
"<team> discussion in Groups"
"Own the game on Xbox and PC" (obviously that's a stretch cuz EA but that's besides the point)
"Early Access with EA Access"
"Powered by best online gaming service Xbox Live (insert that random group that said that)"
"Keep up with your NFL scores with the new NFL App"

Now you take those features and apply them to all the other games for 3rd party (for the features it supports obviously) and you have a compelling case for a consumer to buy a third party game on Xbox platform. Each game highlighting those platform features. Scorpio basically is the icing on the cake for team Xbox (it really is just a more powerful Xbox, that's also more powerful than PS4P). The meat of their strengths has always been platform features, they just didn't have the console to highlight that without being in the shadow of a more powerful, popular system in the PS4. All of those features I named will be unique to Xbox platform (besides most powerful as that is only for Scorpio) and can differentiate itself from PlayStation.

We shall see what happens.

Definitely feels like that will be their approach. I don't think the dreams of them unleashing a bunch of new AAA exclusive projects outside of what is expected are realistic.

prwxv3

Yes, it is confirmed - PHIL SPENCER HAS SAID ITS AN ITERATIVE CONSOLE (just not in those exact words, just in terms of function). Like, MS has gone on record & talked about what the Scorpio is & isn't. We haven't gotten specs, and we don't know what VR solution they'll be pursuing (surprise, its Oculus) but thinking the door is wide open on what it can be is foolish, given MS has insisted multiple times on what it is going to be already. Its the fans who refuse to believe that its all it can be.

I dont know why anyone is doing this to themselves. Especially after the pro launched where people had unrealistic expectations for it. It will most likely be a fantastic upgrade but its not going to be anything more then that.

Iron Galaxy is possible I suppose.

Any other potential partner would have to be kind of out of the blue or a first-time partnership. Someone like Digital Extremes (Warframe, who are actually hiring a lot right now) Yager or Avalanche.

Those are 3 very good examples of people who could be working on a title. The DE guys do a lot of hiring because Warframe continues to bring in tons of money from its userbase - its no surprise to me. Yager hasn't been heard of since Dead Island 2 got taken from them. Avalanche hasn't been heard of since Just Cause 3/Mad Max shipped. Yager could do a 3rd person Halo. Avalance could help on Crackdown 3. DE could be making a service-model game in one of the MS-owned franchises.

Iron Galaxy is still working on KI, and it seems there has been a big budget cut for that team in recent times, so i'm not sure what is going to happen there.

amardilo

I really don't think I agree with a few things he said.

I really like iterative consoles as it means someone like myself who wants the extra power can have it but can still play games with my friends and family who don't care about that (for example I have a PS4 Pro and can still play BF1 with my friends who aren't massive gamers and just have a standard PS4).

Also the Play Anywhere program is great! I love buying a game once and being able to play it on my PC or Xbox and having my saves and achievements carry over. I can see it not being the best from a business point (as people might not buy the console) but I think it's very consumer friendly and I'm buying more games because of that feature.

Shannon Loftis said this last year -

“I head first party game publishing for Xbox One or Windows 10 or any of our platforms. ‘We right now have, i think, 14 games in development. We talked about four of those this morning – Killer Instinct, Scalebound, State of Decay 2, and ReCore. We also have Crackdown 3, which we announced has now been moved into 2017, and there are a few other ones that aren’t quite ready to be talked about yet.”

http://attackofthefanboy.com/news/microsoft-unannounced-xbox-onewindows-10-exclusive-games-way/

I don't think that necessarily means AAA stuff but I think they have more stuff like Recore in the pipeline.

Hasney

Why buy a scorpio when the next xbox will be out in 2 years

But with the PC focus, it'll be likely be that Scorpio will be supported still and XB1 original will be axed. Keep it to the two most recent models.

Easiest way is clearly just to keep upgrading a PC... or it would be if the Windows Store wasn;t utter shit.

krae_man

It isn't a new generation, just an iterated Xbox One. The fact that Colin is insisting on trying to sell this fantasy is very frustrating.

I agree that Scorpio is only a slightly larger 1/2 step and not a console generation leap in terms of specs, especially since we don't know what the actual specs are yet.

However if Microsoft abandons support of the Xbox one, allows devs to spec as Scorpio only, and devs do that in significant numbers, Scorpio will be a next gen system regardless of it's specs.

DenogginizerOS

BenjaminBirdie's Thomas Jefferson
I predict Microsoft is going to try and replicate what Sony did when they announced PS4. If developers are insisting Scorpio have a certain feature like they insisted the PS4 have 8GB of DDR5, I bet Microsoft wants to deliver. I am beginning to think Scorpio is morphing into more of a next-gen console than a 4K upgrade. It really is the only way to try and convince people who have never bought or have given up on Xbox One to choose it over a PS4 Pro (or PC).

djnewwest

Banned

Please tell me how you know this as fact?

imo only way Scorpio is truly a backdoor console generation upgrade is if it has the Zen cpu.

Zukkoyaki

http://attackofthefanboy.com/news/microsoft-unannounced-xbox-onewindows-10-exclusive-games-way/

I don't think that necessarily means AAA stuff but I think they have more stuff like Recore in the pipeline.

Sea of Thieves, Gears 4, Halo Wars 2, Halo 6, Forza Horizon 3 and Forza 7 are another six that would have been included in that number last summer, so that works out to 11 of 14 (assuming that number is accurate). Thinking about what the others could be, probably Ori 2 and then two mystery games.

So you don't know of any partnerships that they may currently be working on then? I'd rather wait until E3 to see if the future is barren or full of surprises, than proclaiming one or the other.

Clear

CliffyB's Cock Holster

It doesn't matter how powerful it is if its just playing the same software, because ultimately price-point is always king when it comes to mass-markets sales.

Imagine if the PS4Pro cost $50-100 more than it does but was twice as powerful... Does anyone honestly think that it'd sell substantially more if that were the case?

Even more starkly, is it even remotely plausible that a model like that would outsell the stock PS4 unit?

Of course not. Yet bizarrely this miracle is apparently what Scorpio is going to do! Even in spite of the fact that MS need to convert many prospective buyers deep into both Sony and Nintendo's ecosystems by the time it launches.

I agree that Scorpio is only a slightly larger 1/2 step and not a console generation leap in terms of specs, especially since we don't know what the actual specs are yet.

However if Microsoft abandons support of the Xbox one, allows devs to spec as Scorpio only, and devs do that in significant numbers, Scorpio will be a next gen system regardless of it's specs.

Except there is no universe where that happens. The big indicator as to how publishers, and the key here in determining what is a 'generation' is really seeing how publishers target platforms, are going to treat the Pro & Scorpio. And with every colleague spread across multiple devs & publishers that I have, I know everyone is treating the two as just iterative steps, and focusing their efforts on the PS4 & X1 versions. If you need a reason as to why developers are doing this, just look at how much PS4 software alone was moved in the last 3 months of last year - PS4 & X1 are sustaining the industry in terms of volume of software moved.

To put this into development perspective, I want you to consider this - every time a new 'generation' has been introduced, a spike in production costs for developers went right along side it. 2013 was no different and a big reason for that is graphical fidelity isn't a free endeavor that is based on the power of the machine - you need ever-growing art production teams to be able to create & animate the high-quality art assets that justify the horsepower in these machines. To put it quite simply, the industry is not prepared for another spike in development costs due to an increase in fidelity demands from the audience.

So the Pro & Scorpio can render that many more pixels on screen - who is going to be footing the bill for that increase in production costs? Why should developers focus on the Scorpio, when even if its sales ratio is best-case-scenario identical to what the PS4 to PS4 Pro sales ratio was for this last holiday season, barely puts the Scorpio past 1 million units in its first 2-3 months on the WW market. So we need to focus & take the utmost advantage of this console whose base is going to be such a tiny subset of the platform generation its actually a part of (PS4/X1) its not worth catering to in any significant way outside of lowest-hanging fruit it has as a support feature, which will be downsampling & native 4K.

Archtreyz

I could see Xbox coming out and saying that anyone that has EA Access gets all EA games a month early. They've been seemingly partnering with EA for a while now and an announcement like that would be a huge boon. Sure, it might not matter to us enthusiasts, but people go crazy over FIFA and Madden. Plus, we forget that the mainstream audience is very impressionable and winning them over is really what matters.

At that point, Scalebound was still in production, as well as Halo 6, 2 new forza games, ori follow-up, Gears follow-up, phantom dust hd are all a part of those games as well. Technically speaking, Cuphead and Below are also a part of those endeavors. And if they are counting KI support as a game, then you can count the on-going support for Gears 4, Halo 5, and any Forza title (most recently Horizon 3) as a part of that lineup.

Gamerman1

Unless Scorpio has games that really show it off I don't see it as a huge deal. I bet first party stuff will patch older games and make it work well on future titles. I don't see older third party games being patched that have been played out as it is more work for developers and many of those will have had the PRO treatment anyway.

Now if it has a boost mode I can see that working nice. Get those frame rates rock solid and maybe do a resolution boost on some so its not 900p or variable.

Now if Crackdown 3 uses it fully and blows my socks off then I will buy lol. Heck throw in Crackdown 1 and 2 with the release as backwards compatible and I will bite.

Consoles have actually done this many times - everything from Atari's 2600/5200/7800....
I feel like I'm taking crazy pills, because you're the second person I've seen recently who used these machines as examples of iterative power bumps.

They just weren't. The 5200 couldn't play 2600 games, nor could the 2600 play 5200 games. The 7800 couldn't play 5200 games, nor could the 5200 play 7800 games.

These were standard generational divides.

Boke1879

It is an iterative console. Phil Spencer literally said at E3 all games would be playable on Scorpio, One S and the base Xbox.

People refuse to believe all the evidence of that and want to believe it's more than what it is.

m23

Playground Games are going third party? Was this known?

Let me rephrase as they are indie.

Do we know they're partnering with a 3rd party for their other project?

Zedox

Definitely feels like that will be their approach. I don't think the dreams of them unleashing a bunch of new AAA exclusive projects outside of what is expected are realistic.

That's the only thing I can think is realistic for them to approach it. You have to play to your strengths. Strong platform play and now that you have the most powerful console...you can work on the games and people can have a better reason to want to get your game.

People wants more exclusive games but the type of games they want can't just come out of thin air and fast, they take a while. To me (key phrase) PS4 is just getting the ball rolling on their exclusives this year. It's going to be a while before MS has a slew of games each year that are new IP. So until then, you have to play to your strengths so that when you do have the games to backup everything else, you are at a good place to compete.

newjeruse

Scorpio is fine but the pro was a mistake.. Colin please.

The problem with the quest for relevance vis-à-vis punditry is that it forces a person, in this case Colin, to put himself out on a limb when it's not even called for.

There was nothing about the Pro that should have inspired passionate "hot takes." Either you liked the idea of a mid-generation upgrade for a marginal cost, or you were uninterested. Sony didn't shove it down their consumers' throats; it was barely even marketed.

Despite that, Colin screamed "UNFORCED ERROR" from the rooftops over and over again. I get that he was positioning himself as videogames' response to Skip Bayless, but as the PS4Pro skips along without 'disrupting' the ecosystem, his disproportionate histrionics looks even sillier in hindsight.

blakep267

Playground Games are going third party? Was this known?

Let me rephrase as they are indie.

Do we know they're partnering with a 3rd party for their other project?
I don't remember seeing anything about them having a third party publisher. All that was posted was a new IP. Unless sneakers has some inside info

bitbydeath

Sea of Thieves, Gears 4, Halo Wars 2, Halo 6, Forza Horizon 3 and Forza 7 are another six that would have been included in that number last summer, so that works out to 11 of 14 (assuming that number is accurate). Thinking about what the others could be, probably Ori 2 and then two mystery games.

Cuphead

Archtreyz

The problem with the quest for relevance vis-à-vis punditry is that it forces a person, in this case Colin, to put himself out on a limb when it's not even called for.

There was nothing about the Pro that should have inspired passionate "hot takes." Either you liked the idea of a mid-generation upgrade for a marginal cost, or you were uninterested. Sony didn't shove it down their consumers' throats; it was barely even marketed.

Despite that, Colin screamed "UNFORCED ERROR" from the rooftops over and over again. I get that he was positioning himself as videogames' response to Skip Bayless, but as the PS4Pro skips along without 'disrupting' the ecosystem, his disproportionate histrionics looks even sillier in hindsight.
It was an unforced error though. Sure it's selling fine, but there was no need for it. They released it way too early. Now what they have is a mid-cycle refresh that's gonna be underpowered a year later. If they would have taken their time, they could have released a more powerful unit this year or next and remained the superior console. I know the system will continue to sell fine, but they missed an oppurtunity by playing their hand too early.

Top Bottom