• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

College Football 2012 Offseason Thread: All Longhorn Network, All The Time*

Status
Not open for further replies.
Any PAC-12 people with knowledge of Todd Stansbury, the sitting Oregon St. Associate AD? He was just announced as UCF's new AD a couple of days ago. Hearing some good things and on paper it looks like a good hire, but I wanted to see if anyone else knew of anything.

andycapps

Todd Gurley is making his announcement today. Supposed to be between UGA and Clemson. If he comes, I'd expect at least one of our backs to transfer, as Richt clearly does not have trust in any of them to carry the load. Wouldn't be surprised if somebody transfers anyway. Our backup QB this year, Hutson Mason may transfer as he may never start if he does stick around. Looks like CB Branden Smith is probably going to try to go pro based on some of his tweets. Don't think it's a good move for him as I think he'll be undrafted and could use another year.

Desperado

Thread title made me roll my eyes at whatever Longhorn with pretensions of relevancy won the pick em.

Asterisk made me laugh.

I chose the title with a tongue-in-cheek mentality. I think LHN will be a success eventually, but I know the current situation is worth laughing at. Oh, and Texas is always relevant
$$$

Lonestar

I joined for Erin Brockovich discussion
I don't know how I feel about this. On a side note I am sure Lance Thompson is just trilled.

Alabama North
or Alabama JV

Which would you prefer to be called from now on?

Washington Post has an interview with JoePa coming out tomorrow at 4 EST

Cyan

Banned
Would you rather talk about pedos or secret stripper abortions?

Or all-SEC all the time, or CUSA 2.0/Big East-West, or defense-less BCS games, or the return of the Pirate, or the first 6-8 team in history, or the imminent implosion of the BCS, or...

What have you SEC goat-fuckers done. YOU SHOULD HAVE TAKEN CARE OF TEBOW WHEN YOU HAD THE CHANCE!

Now there is his shit all over the forum and media.

andycapps

Best guess is, no matter what, Sal's getting 2.4 million dollars

Big money and step up for him. Tennessee's admin is so clueless. I don't see any way they end up with more than 6 or 7 wins next year. And people will be calling for Dooley's head, and with that, everyone else will probably get canned too.

GoldenEye 007 said:
What have you SEC goat-fuckers done. YOU SHOULD HAVE TAKEN CARE OF TEBOW WHEN YOU HAD THE CHANCE!

We leave that to WVU and the rest of the Big 12. We're okay with step-sisters and/or 2nd cousins. Tennessee fans have been known to spend some time in the hog pen, though.

Lonestar

I'd rather talk about signing day, spring practice, who is this Texas A&M fellow, and hopefully some felonies committed by some Auburn Players.

Or at least the return of Will Hill.

Well, we at least made him cry his last SEC game. Best we could do.

andycapps

Richt and McGarity holding a press conference right now to talk about the offseason and the juniors that are leaving. Looks like only Charles is leaving, everyone else is back. That includes Branden Smith, Abry Jones, Sanders Commings, and Cornelius Washington. Our defense is going to be lights out next year.

AjEKAdiCMAAwoXR.jpg

Mark Richt > Dabo Swinney.

So between last year and this year, UGA has gotten the #1, #1, and #6 RB's in the country. This should provide some major motivation for Crowell. Harder to be motivated when everyone behind you is only average.
How many RB's does UGA need? I have to tip my hat to Mark Richt though if he can convince a kid to come in and be probably 4th or 5th in line for the job.

andycapps

How many RB's does UGA need? I have to tip my hat to Mark Richt though if he can convince a kid to come in and be probably 4th or 5th in line for the job.

Well, what we had returning before Keith Marshall and Todd Gurley signed was (in probable order) Isaiah Crowell, Carlton Thomas, Ken Malcome, and Richard Samuel IV. Thomas is more of a scat-back, or change of pace guy. Samuel has a great heart, but he just doesn't have break away speed or ability to break tackles. Tends to fall down as soon as he gets hit. Some people thinking they may move him to fullback to provide more depth there. Malcome did okay, but he's not the game changer to be an every down back. Crowell was fantastic when he was 100%, but that wasn't the case at any point after the UK game. Lot of fans think he's a pussy and can't take the hits. I'm not sure if that's the case, he may have had a nagging injury that never fully healed.

Point of all the above is that Richt was clearly not confident in his returning RB's if he went after two top guys and during their recruitment he stressed that he was looking for hardworking guys with integrity. Both of which we have been short on at that position for a few years since Moreno left. We've had a bunch of divas that didn't want to put in the hard work, or keep their nose clean.

Also, Marshall is really what fans are wanting in a back there. He's smart, articulate, and seems to be a future star running back. I've said before that I think Crowell still could be the back we thought he was. He needs motivation. Gurley and Marshall should give that to him.

Louisville getting some early preseason hype/love from ESPN...25 on the way-too-early top 25, 10th on the schedule winners of 2012, and 25th on the recruiting rankings.

would have liked to have seen a RB in the recruiting, we'll see how that goes this year.

Lonestar

Well, what we had returning before Keith Marshall and Todd Gurley signed was (in probable order) Isaiah Crowell, Carlton Thomas, Ken Malcome, and Richard Samuel IV. Thomas is more of a scat-back, or change of pace guy. Samuel has a great heart, but he just doesn't have break away speed or ability to break tackles. Tends to fall down as soon as he gets hit. Some people thinking they may move him to fullback to provide more depth there. Malcome did okay, but he's not the game changer to be an every down back. Crowell was fantastic when he was 100%, but that wasn't the case at any point after the UK game. Lot of fans think he's a pussy and can't take the hits. I'm not sure if that's the case, he may have had a nagging injury that never fully healed.

Point of all the above is that Richt was clearly not confident in his returning RB's if he went after two top guys and during their recruitment he stressed that he was looking for hardworking guys with integrity. Both of which we have been short on at that position for a few years since Moreno left. We've had a bunch of divas that didn't want to put in the hard work, or keep their nose clean.

Samuel's career has been similar to Chris Jordan @ Alabama. In his career, he's had to have moved positions 4 or 5 times (RB to LB to TE to LB, from memory, with a possible look back at RB mixed in there) Having Depth at alot of those positions, caused him to never get much playing time.

cdyhybrid

Hearing that Saban's also interviewing Washington's OC, Doug Nussmeier, to become Alabama's OC.

Washington Fan: He any good?

He's been regarded as a key developer of our QBs, but as an OC overall, hard to say because Sark calls all the plays. Put simply, I would like to keep him, but 1) I couldn't blame him for leaving for the SEC, especially if he got to call plays (and will likely get a raise), and 2) Sark kinda shared all his duties with him and called the plays, so the offense probably won't miss a beat.

Only thing that worries me is losing some recruits over it.

andycapps

Samuel's career has been similar to Chris Jordan @ Alabama. In his career, he's had to have moved positions 4 or 5 times (RB to LB to TE to LB, from memory, with a possible look back at RB mixed in there) Having Depth at alot of those positions, caused him to never get much playing time.

Yeah, sounds similar. That's why I say I respect Samuel a lot and he clearly will do anything for the team. He went from RB to LB to RB, and now potentially will be buried on depth chart at RB or move to FB.

Desperado said:
I'm sorry, but there's something about A&M you need to know...

I refuse to acknowledge them as part of our conference, at this time. It will be inevitable at some point.

bluemax

Banned

Ha! I remember when people said this same thing about USC and Pete Carroll. I believe it was back after we got CJ Gable, Stafon Johnson, Allen Bradford, Broderick Green, Emmanuel Moody all in like a 2 year span.

bluemax

Banned
Pete's RB recruiting by year was crazy:

Herschel Dennis 4* (Injured his whole career)
Brandon Hancock 4* (he played mostly FB)

Reggie Bush 5*
Whitney Lewis 5* (he was a WR/RB, also had issues with academics/injury/weight)
Chauncey Washington 4*
LenDale White 4*

None

None

Kenny Ashley 4*
CJ Gable 5* (As an athlete)
Allen Bradford 5* (As a LBer)
Stanley Havili 4*
Stafon Johnson 5*
Emmanuel Moody 4*

Broderick Green 4*
Joe McKnight 5*
Marc Tyler 5*

Brian Baucham 3*
Curtis McNeal 3*
D.J. Shoemate 4* (As an athlete)

Simione Vehikite 2* (He's a FB)

Man, I forgot McNeal was only a 3 star.

Aesius

I don't know how I feel about this. On a side note I am sure Lance Thompson is just trilled.

I know how hard it is for you to ever be positive about UT, but I promise you this is a great hire. Our recruiting should actually upgrade substantially over Wilcox/Sirmon.

And honestly, I'm starting to think that unless Dave Hart has something up his sleeve that will keep the current staff intact without Dooley at the helm (Kirby Smart as HC), he's going to keep Dooley around at least through 2013. Barring a disaster of a season, of course.

Lonestar

I know how hard it is for you to ever be positive about UT, but I promise you this is a great hire. Our recruiting should actually upgrade substantially over Wilcox/Sirmon.

And honestly, I'm starting to think that unless Dave Hart has something up his sleeve that will keep the current staff intact without Dooley at the helm (Kirby Smart as HC), he's going to keep Dooley around at least through 2013. Barring a disaster of a season, of course.

Alabama North Confirmed

While I do believe Smart is a better choice at HC than Dooley, you have to admit, Saban's Coaching Tree has taken a sharp decline with Dooley (through 2 seasons), Muschamp (bad 1st season), and Jimbo (bad season after having alot of pre-season hype).

So, question is, will Smart be that different?

I remember talk of Alabama's recruiting taking a dive after losing Lance Thompson, and then again after losing Kevin Steele.

But hey, maybe Tennessee will finally hit "Middle of the Pack" status again, sometime soon.

W7DB4_medium.jpg

KNOXVILLE (AP)-- Derek Dooley needed a defensive coordinator with experience, and he believes he has found just the man for the job.

The University of Tennessee announced the hiring of an old pair of Nick Saban's riding pants as defensive coordinator on Friday. The replacement for the departed Justin Wilcox will make something in the $500,000 range annually under a three-year contract, and will dive immediately into recruiting the Vols' 2012 class.

"We saw a lot of assets in Riding Pants. He's durable. He's spent a lot of time under Nick Saban, and he's good for the long ride. Most importantly, he once belonged to Nick Saban, and that's the most important prerequisite for employment here."

Coach Riding pants had no comment during a brief press conference on Friday. He lay on the back of a chair, appearing freshly pressed and ready for service.

Prior to his arrival at Tennessee, Coach Riding Pants served as the riding pants of Nick Saban at Alabama. He is most well known for his work with Saban in his successful rides of Oatmeal Pie, Saban's prize miniature horse and assistant strength and conditioning coach.

The hire of Coach Riding Pants is just one hire Dooley expects to make in the coming days to replace numerous losses on the coaching staff at Tennessee. Dooley had no comment on future hires, but candidates include other former possessions of Nick Saban including Coach AM/FM Weather Clock, Coach "Rhythm of the 90s, Vol. 1" , Coach High-Power Vibrating Abs Belt, and Coach Twenty Tommy Bahama Shirts Twisted and Taped Together To Look Like A Human Body.

http://www.everydayshouldbesaturday.com/2012/1/13/2704912/derek-dooley-hires-nick-sabans-riding-pants-as-assistant
:lol

cdyhybrid

UCF with only 8 recruits? are they preparing themselves for the impending NCAA sanctions?

seems like a pretty large reduction
Don't need many recruits after you get the death penalty.

Also a word of warning to you Bama fans in case you guys hire our OC - he occasionally likes to use plays that involve a technique us West Coasters like to call the "forward pass" - don't be alarmed though, it is indeed allowed by NCAA rules.

UCF with only 8 recruits? are they preparing themselves for the impending NCAA sanctions?

seems like a pretty large reduction
We'll be fine. We have a couple big recruiting weekends coming up and according to GOL, we are being mum on some other recruits - 10 to be exact that have committed but have not been stated. We'll see how that works out. Quite a few people are lined up to visit over the next couple weeks regardless. I think about 14-15 just over the next day or two (some already committed out of that).

This all without having a DC (lost him after a month to Penn St.) I hear he did a similar thing to Louisville - Ted Roof. Also we lost another coach to Illinios - our special teams coach.

Lonestar

Don't need many recruits after you get the death penalty.

Also a word of warning to you Bama fans in case you guys hire our OC - he occasionally likes to use plays that involve a technique us West Coasters like to call the "forward pass" - don't be alarmed though, it is indeed allowed by NCAA rules.

We did 15 or so of those against LSU. They worked out better than expected.

Cyan

Banned

Saban'll knock that nonsense out of him.

Hearing that Saban's also interviewing Washington's OC, Doug Nussmeier, to become Alabama's OC.

Washington Fan: He any good?

Nuss creates the offensive gameplan, teaches and runs the offense in practice. Sark calls all of the plays, so it's hard to say how he will do in that area but if you want an idea of the type of offense he could potentially build, watch the Alamo Bowl on ESPN3.

He has the reputation as a great developer of QB's and the development of Jake Locker and Keith Price would seem to back that up. He was the QB coach for the St. Louis Rams when Bulger made the pro bowl. I think Sark is the best QB college in college football so he's worked under and been part of some great qb teaching.

There probably aren't many OC jobs that he would leave UW for so I think at the end of the day you should be pretty happy if he gets the job. If he does get it, I would take that as a sign that Saban might be willing to pass the ball more since QB play is his expertise and UW's offense does a great job at spreading the ball around while still giving the feature back a ton of work.

D

Deleted member 8095

Unconfirmed Member
232 days until Cougar football! CANNOT WAIT! This year is going to be great and we are going to a god damn bowl game. I'm also going to 4 games in a 5 week span and cannot wait!

9/15 against UNLV in Vegas
9/29 against Oregon in Seattle
10/6 at Oregon State
10/13 against Cal in Pullman

Might also be going to the Apple Cup. COME ON SEPTEMBER!!!

cdyhybrid

232 days until Cougar football! CANNOT WAIT! This year is going to be great and we are going to a god damn bowl game. I'm also going to 4 games in a 5 week span and cannot wait!

9/15 against UNLV in Vegas
9/29 against Oregon in Seattle
10/6 at Oregon State
10/13 against Cal in Pullman

Might also be going to the Apple Cup. COME ON SEPTEMBER!!!
You mean you aren't going to be at the mall for 16 hours straight on Black Friday?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom