• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

College Football 2012 Offseason Thread: All Longhorn Network, All The Time*

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kevtones

This isn't racist, but anecdotal. I've had at least three people in this state tell me Oregon is either in Montana or bordering Canada.

Rumors goin around that UW is going to hire Cal's WR coach for the same job. Our current WR coach is being promoted to OC.

twitter rumor

Twitter is from a HS seniors' parents.

I just looked up whether Paul Allen or someone was fronting the money for this until the TV money rolled in, but he went to Washington State instead.

In other words, I think Paul Allen is going to build a canal from the sea to Pullman just so Mike Leach can ride a pirate ship.

And that's it for Gunner Kiel, he just enrolled at Notre Dame.

I want an exhaustive report on how tiger droppings is handling this. Give me a summary of how they reacted when they heard, how long it took them to accept it, and how many gallons of tears were collected.

And that's it for Gunner Kiel, he just enrolled at Notre Dame.

I want an exhaustive report on how tiger droppings is handling this. Give me a summary of how they reacted when they heard, how long it took them to accept it, and how many gallons of tears were collected.
Sorry, they use the metric system.

Lonestar

I joined for Erin Brockovich discussion
They're trying to hold it together.

By not posting. It's pretty quiet over there, simply because they've already started drinking.

KingGondo

Banned
I don't understand why any QB would want to play for Brian Kelly, especially over Les Miles.

Kid is obviously not too bright anyways, anyone who initially commits to Indiana is a few wafers short of communion.

I don't understand why any QB would want to play for Brian Kelly, especially over Les Miles.

Kid is obviously not too bright anyways, anyone who initially commits to Indiana is a few wafers short of communion.

I have no idea.

4uHZb.jpg

CNBzW.jpg

Lonestar

Why a QB would want to play at either, is the correct answer. LSU's had issues for years about their QB's. Most of the time, it's because they have issues with multiple QB's playing (Jamarcus Russell/Marcus Randell, Matt Flynn/Ryan Perriloux, Josh Booty/Rohan Davey, Jarrett Lee/George Jefferson)

Throw in 8 year player Matt Mauck, and they could never make up their mind. Also, how many of those players became successes in the NFL? Matt Flynn???

Is it Matt Flynn versus Jimmy Clausen and Brady Quinn, on the NFL QB Success chart?

Why a QB would want to play at either, is the correct answer. LSU's had issues for years about their QB's. Most of the time, it's because they have issues with multiple QB's playing (Jamarcus Russell/Marcus Randell, Matt Flynn/Ryan Perriloux, Josh Booty/Rohan Davey, Jarrett Lee/George Jefferson)

Throw in 8 year player Matt Mauck, and they could never make up their mind. Also, how many of those players became successes in the NFL? Matt Flynn???

Is it Matt Flynn versus Jimmy Clausen and Brady Quinn, on the NFL QB Success chart?

To be fair, The Matt Flynn and Ryan Perriloux debacle figured itself out.

Lonestar

To be fair, The Matt Flynn and Ryan Perriloux debacle figured itself out.

Took way too much time to!

"Maybe he'll stop at counterfeiting!"

Jokingly, someone posted the top 10 Pro Style QB's of the last 5 years, I guess as some way of saying "Look how many turned out to be shit, LOL Gunner Keil"

::::::::::: CLASS OF 2006 :::::::::::
#1 Matthew Stafford 5 stars @ Georgia
#2 Mitch Mustain 5 stars @ Arkansas
#3 Isiah Williams 4 stars @ Illinois
#4 Josh Freeman 4 stars @ Kansas St.
#5 Pat Devlin 4 stars @ Penn St.
#6 Kevin Riley 4 stars @ California
#7 Neil Caudle 4 stars @ Auburn
#8 Chris Smelley 4 stars @ South Carolina
#9 Zach Frazer 4 stars @ Notre Dame
#10 Tyler Lyon 3 stars @ Arizona

::::::::::: CLASS OF 2007 :::::::::::
#1 Jimmy Clausen 5 stars Notre Dame
#2 Ryan Mallett 5 stars @ Michigan
#3 John Brantley 4 stars @ Florida
#4 Mike Paulus 4 stars @ North Carolina
#5 Peter Lalich 4 stars @ Virginia
#6 Pat Bostick 4 stars @ Pittsburgh
#7 Jarrett Lee 4 stars @ LSU
#8 Robert Marve 4 stars @ Miami (FL)
#9 Steven Threet 4 stars @ Georgia Tech
#10 BJ Coleman 4 stars @ Tennessee

::::::::::: CLASS OF 2008 :::::::::::
#1 Blaine Gabbert 5 stars Missouri
#2 Dayne Crist 5 stars @ Notre Dame
#3 Mike Glennon 4 stars @ N.C. State
#4 Andrew Luck 4 stars @ Stanford
#5 Star Jackson 4 stars @ Alabama
#6 Landry Jones 4 stars @ Oklahoma
#7 Jacory Harris 4 stars @ Miami (FL)
#8 Jordan Jefferson 4 stars @ LSU
#9 Tyler Wilson 4 stars @ Arkansas
#10 Kyle Parker 4 stars @ Clemson

::::::::::: CLASS OF 2009 :::::::::::
#1 Matt Barkley 5 stars @ USC
#2 Garrett Gilbert 5 stars @ Texas
#3 Aaron Murray 4 stars @ Georgia
#4 Tajh Boyd 4 stars @ Clemson
#5 Bryn Renner 4 stars @ North Carolina
#6 Richard Brehaut 4 stars @ UCLA
#7 AJ McCarron 4 stars @ Alabama
#8 Tom Savage 4 stars @ Rutgers
#9 Andrew Maxwell 4 stars @ Michigan St.
#10 Allan Bridgford 4 stars @ California
#11 Zach Mettenberger 4 stars @ Georgia (@ LSU)

::::::::::: CLASS OF 2010 :::::::::::
#1 Jake Heaps 4 stars @ BYU
#2 Phillip Sims 4 stars @ Alabama
#3 Connor Wood 4 stars Texas
#4 Brett Nottingham 4 stars @ Stanford
#5 Jesse Scroggins 4 stars @ USC
#6 Blake Bell 4 stars @ Oklahoma
#7 Tyler Bray 4 stars @ Tennessee
#8 Paul Jones 4 stars @ Penn St.
#9 Zach Lee 4 stars @ LSU
#10 Scotty Young 4 stars @ Texas Tech

LOL at adding a #11 for Mettenberger.

Casty Eyes at McCarron the only QB on this list to win a BCS Championship.

Lonestar

They're trying to avoid burning the site to the ground.

Half of the website keeps bringing up JJ and the BCS game.
Losing the Miller Kid to Auburn because of Keil, losing Keil, seeing J. Lee perform well in a NCAA Senior Bowl game...their nerves are shot.

bluemax

Banned
Took way too much time to!

"Maybe he'll stop at counterfeiting!"

Jokingly, someone posted the top 10 Pro Style QB's of the last 5 years, I guess as some way of saying "Look how many turned out to be shit, LOL Gunner Keil"

LOL at adding a #11 for Mettenberger.

Casty Eyes at McCarron the only QB on this list to win a BCS Championship.

So far only 3 of those guys have been first rounders, although Barkley and Luck will bring it up to at least 5. Clausen was considered a first rounder at one point and then dropped to the second.

That's a pretty low hit rate over all though.

Lonestar

So far only 3 of those guys have been first rounders, although Barkley and Luck will bring it up to at least 5. Clausen was considered a first rounder at one point and then dropped to the second.

That's a pretty low hit rate over all though.

Just look at the 5 star's listed. It's either "NFL Bound QB" (Stafford, Clausen, Mallett, Gabbert, Barkley) or Super College Dud (Mustain, Gilbert). Not sure on what to think of Crist, except he's on his way to being a dud.

bluemax

Banned
#1 Matthew Stafford: 3-0 in bowl games, 6-3 in rivalry games, 0 BCS games, 1st round draft pick.

#2 Mitch Mustain: Transferred to USC after a year at Arkansas, got busted for selling prescription drugs, washed out of the CFL

#3 Isiah Williams 2nd in team history in TD passes, benched his senior season, undrafted.

#4 Josh Freeman: School record for total yardage, 1 of 2 QBs in school history to score 60 career TDs, currently trying to eat his way out of the NFL.

#5 Pat Devlin: Spent 3 years at Penn St before transferring to Pennsylvania, set school record there for passing yards. Signed with Miami as UDFA.

#6 Kevin Riley: On again off again starter for 4 years. Failed to latch on with the 49ers and wasn't able to get into the CFL. Now out of football.

#7 Neil Caudle: Made the All SEC Academic team 3 times. Mostly played mop up duty.

#8 Chris Smelley: Ranks in the top 10 in USCe history for completions, attempts and TDs. Transferred to Alabama to play baseball and possibly football.

#9 Zach Frazer: Redshirted as a freshman, then transferred to UCONN after being told he wouldn't compete for starting job at ND. played 3 years at UCONN before going undrafted.

#10 Tyler Lyon: Got bumped to 6th on the depth chart after getting busted with booze as a minor. Never played in a game for Arizona and is now pursuing a Law Degree.

Wow, out of that list only 4 of them really got significant playing time at their original school (Stafford, Williams, Riley, Smelley). The rest either never played or transferred.

Just look at the 5 star's listed. It's either "NFL Bound QB" (Stafford, Clausen, Mallett, Gabbert, Barkley) or Super College Dud (Mustain, Gilbert). Not sure on what to think of Crist, except he's on his way to being a dud.

I think Crist got boned by being at Notre Dame during a coaching change. But yeah I don't see him being NFL bound.

Lonestar

Chris Smelley never played football at Alabama. His brother did, Brad Smelley, TE, and caught 7 passes in the BCS championship game. The Smelley's are from Tuscaloosa.

Seeing him in top 10 USCe records, Isiah Williams in Illinois' records....there's alot of antiquated recordbooks out there!

Alabama still hasn't had a QB pass for 3,000 yards in a season. Greg McElroy had 2987 yards in 2010.

bluemax

Banned
Chris Smelley never played football at Alabama. His brother did, Brad Smelley, TE, and caught 7 passes in the BCS championship game. The Smelley's are from Tuscaloosa.

I was just going from his out of date Wikipedia entry. I figured he never played because I couldn't remember him.

Lonestar

Is Mettenberger even going to play at LSU or just ride the bench forever? The kid was supposed to have a great arm.

I was wondering, was he eligible to play this last season? I've seen someone say he could have played. Not beating out J Lee or JJ, though...

But according to them, the SEC QB's next year will look like this:

1. Mett
2. Tyler Wilson
3. Aaron Murray
4. Tyler Bray
5. Ok, we'll throw AJ a bone and put him above that Conner guy at South Carolina.

andycapps

I was wondering, was he eligible to play this last season? I've seen someone say he could have played. Not beating out J Lee or JJ, though...

1. Mett
2. Tyler Wilson
3. Aaron Murray
4. Tyler Bray
5. Ok, we'll throw AJ a bone and put him above that Conner guy at South Carolina.

Well, he got kicked off Georgia's team for pulling a Big Ben move, then he transferred to LSU. I would guess he had to sit out last year due to the transfer unless the NCAA granted an exception, and I doubt they would given what he did.

I wouldn't put Mettenberger above anybody in the SEC until he actually plays a down. He was supposed to be a good pro-style QB when he came out of high school, but that's been a few years.

bluemax said:
#1 Matthew Stafford: 3-0 in bowl games, 6-3 in rivalry games, 0 BCS games, 1st round draft pick.

Stafford beat Hawaii in the Sugar Bowl in 2008.

bluemax

Banned

1. Mett
2. Tyler Wilson
3. Aaron Murray
4. Tyler Bray

If I had to preemptively rate the Pac 12 QBs for next season:

1. Barkley
2. Price
3. Whoever WSU rolls with because they will throw for 5000 yards
4. Bennett
5. Maynerd
6. Scott
7. Mannion
8. Hays
9. Hundley
10. Stanford
11. ASU
12. Colorado

This made me realize how many starting QBs the Pac 12 lost this off season.

Lonestar

Brantley won a BCS championship /troll

In that case, AJ's won 2!

Yeah, the record I'm seeing from this Tosh guy, it really does seem like Cal's losing their "Nick Saban", their premiere recruiter.

Every school has their "recruiting guru" but there are only a handful that "have it" and can take it wherever they go.

Wouldn't really make sense as a hire except to fuck with our recruiting class more. Didn't you guys just hire a WR coach?

We've only hired defensive coaches so far, OC going to Bama opens up a spot on the offensive staff.

Latest rumor is that he's being hired as OC, not WR coach.

KingGondo

Banned
From 2010 to now, we've had 28 4 or 5 star commitments. 18 of those were recruited by Tosh.

Really can't be overstated how much this hurts our program. Losing him should be considered a fireable offense.

Also a fireable offense: how little Tedford has done with that kind of talent.

I know, I know--they're young.

Lonestar

Though, I wouldn't credit him with Keenan Allen. Whoever talked Maynerd into coming, that's who "got" Allen. :p

From 2010 to now, we've had 28 4 or 5 star commitments. 18 of those were recruited by Tosh.

Really can't be overstated how much this hurts our program. Losing him should be considered a fireable offense.

How is Cal so poor that they can't afford to pay guys like him more? I just saw Ted Miller say you guys are running a deficit of $11 million a year on average. Gahdamn.

Cyan

Banned
How is Cal so poor that they can't afford to pay guys like him more? I just saw Ted Miller say you guys are running a deficit of $11 million a year on average. Gahdamn.

A shitload of non-revenue sports. Thus the attempted cuts last year.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom