• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

College Football 2012 Offseason Thread: All Longhorn Network, All The Time*

Status
Not open for further replies.

bluemax

Banned
*Not available in most major media markets.

Congrats to Desperado on winning the 2011/2012 NeoGaf Bowl Pick Em!

Associated Press said:
NEW ORLEANS, La. -- The defenses lived up to the billing in the latest Game of the Century. For most of the game neither No. 1 LSU nor No. 2 Alabama could reach the end zone.

The Crimson aren't complaining.

They now have won 2 of the last 3 BCS title games.

"It didn't go by the script," LSU coach Les Miles said. "The key is to keep fighting, to find a way."

Find a way, these Tigers did not.

Of course, for the thousands who tuned in across the nation to watch a game billed as "The de Facto National Championship" the end result was, anything but appealing.

"Okie state should played in this game. Teams that provide actual entertainment should be rewarded. I would drop LSU and Alabama out of the top ten on principle. Get that garbage football off my TV," said one fan after the game.

"I can't say I know too much about teams outside our conference right now, but I know that team over there is a damn fine one," responded LSU coach Les Miles.

The latest AP poll seem to agree with coach Miles as the Crimson Tide of Alabama received 55 of the 60 first place votes in the final poll, something that once again doesn't seem to please the masses: "I find it a [expletive] joke to society that [Ala]bama got to play in this game," one college football fan was quoted as saying Monday evening.

Coach Nick Saban of Alabama was not quite ready to agree, "When you get blown out, you've got lots of issues and problems," Alabama coach Nick Saban said. "I don't think anybody could watch that game and say LSU doesn't have a really good team and didn't play a really good game. They just didn't win."

"Whoever the folks are who make those decisions will make those decisions based on the full body of work of every team in the country and choose which teams are the best," Saban said. "I really can't speculate on a hypothetical situation and it's really not our focus right now, anyway."

Final Rankings:

AP said:
1 Alabama (55) 12-1 1495
2 LSU (1) 13-1 1425
3 Oklahoma State (4) 12-1 1399
4 Oregon 12-2 1250
5 Arkansas 11-2 1198
6 USC 10-2 1181
7 Stanford 11-2 1167
8 Boise State 12-1 1127
9 South Carolina 11-2 1013
10 Wisconsin 11-3 905
11 Michigan State 11-3 873
12 Michigan 11-2 839
13 Baylor 10-3 780
14 TCU 11-2 653
15 Kansas State 10-3 621
16 Oklahoma 10-3 572
17 West Virginia 10-3 547
18 Houston 13-1 518
19 Georgia 10-4 439
20 Southern Miss 12-2 411
21 Virginia Tech 11-3 329
22 Clemson 10-4 188
23 Florida State 9-4 154
24 Nebraska 9-4 143
25 Cincinnati 10-3 103

Sport's Information Directors said:
1 Alabama (59) 12-1 1475
2 LSU 13-1 1404
3 Oklahoma State 12-1 1367
4 Oregon 12-2 1290
5 Arkansas 11-2 1188
6 Boise State 12-1 1162
7 Stanford 11-2 1106
8 South Carolina 11-2 1084
9 Michigan 11-2 925
10 Michigan State 11-3 912
11 Wisconsin 11-3 911
12 Baylor 10-3 775
13 TCU 11-2 710
14 Houston 13-1 673
15 Oklahoma 10-3 610
16 Kansas State 10-3 602
17 Virginia Tech 11-3 574
18 West Virginia 10-3 554
19 Southern Miss 12-2 429
20 Georgia 10-4 345
21 Cincinnati 10-3 248
22 Clemson 10-4 237
23 Florida State 9-4 205
24 Nebraska 9-4 144
25 Brigham Young 10-3 79

Code:
Bowl Standings
Conference USA		5	4–1	0.800
MAC	       	        5	4–1	0.800
Big 12	      	        8	6–2	0.750
SEC	        	9	6–3	0.667
Big East	        5	3–2	0.600
Independents	        2	1–1	0.500
Big Ten	        	10	4–6	0.400
Mountain West	        5	2–3	0.400
Sun Belt	        3	1–2	0.333
Pac-12	        	7	2–5	0.286
ACC	        	8	2–6	0.250
WAC	        	3	0–3	0.000

Congrats to Alabama your 2012 BCS MNChampions!
(I was gonna troll with a picture from November game but I can't find any worth using)

Fulmer Cup Standings said:
Check back!

Off season prediction question: Which program will be the subject of an NCAA scandal/investigation this summer? BYU? Florida? Ohio State round 2? Oregon? UCF?

Cast your votes!

Also please make your submissions now for animated gif of the year! Voting begins sometime in the undisclosed future!

Tron 2.0

I can't believe BYU is ranked in the SID poll.

Potential additional prediction question: What changes, if any, will the BCS enact over the next six months? Anyone placing bets on a +1 finally happening?

GIF of the year-

For pure pants-shitting terror:

XnwQp.gif

cdyhybrid

Think we'll have an offseason as "exciting" as the last one?

If this rumbling about playoffs takes off, yes. Plus who knows what'll happen with more realignment.

I vote for The Worst Shovel Pass Ever as the GIF of the year. Sums up the whole season perfectly.

JCX

I don't think the offseason from two years ago (Nebraska and Colorado leaving Big 12) will be topped anytime soon. Some mid-majors might move around, and possible playoff news is exciting, but not as big as the realignment.

ChiTownBuffalo

Either I made up lies about the Boston Bomber or I fell for someone else's crap. Either way, I have absolutely no credibility and you should never pay any attention to anything I say, no matter what the context. Perm me if I claim to be an insider
I don't think the offseason from two years ago (Nebraska and Colorado leaving Big 12) will be topped anytime soon. Some mid-majors might move around, and possible playoff news is exciting, but not as big as the realignment.

Aggie and Mizzou are not amused.

andycapps

Thanks for the new thread, bluemax. Wouldn't hurt to have a link in there to the spreadsheet/list of team affiliation for the members here.

Some place named Coaching Search is saying that the Falcons have reached out to Todd Grantham of UGA to replace Brian Van Gorder as defensive coordinator. UGA has been working on extending his contract to 3 years and that was to be announced any day. I'd expect to see him get a significant raise and buyout option.

ChiTownBuffalo

Either I made up lies about the Boston Bomber or I fell for someone else's crap. Either way, I have absolutely no credibility and you should never pay any attention to anything I say, no matter what the context. Perm me if I claim to be an insider
Thanks for the new thread, bluemax. Wouldn't hurt to have a link in there to the spreadsheet/list of team affiliation for the members here.

Some place named Coaching Search is saying that the Falcons have reached out to Todd Grantham of UGA to replace Brian Van Gorder as defensive coordinator. UGA has been working on extending his contract to 3 years and that was to be announced any day. I'd expect to see him get a significant raise and buyout option.

OMFG.gif

Man. never have I posted a joke gif that was so dead on topical.

There are also the parallel lawsuits (one in WV and the other in RI) between the Big East and WVU to watch. Should be interesting to see where those things end up.

Lonestar

I joined for Erin Brockovich discussion
May I be the first to say.. Fuck you, A&M and Mizzou.

Totally sounds like a double switch by the SEC Commish. When we voted these 2 in, one of the requirements for "Yes" Votes were supposed to be "keep Permanent Rivals" in some way. Now, after the fact, we'll end up with no permanent rivals.

andycapps

Totally sounds like a double switch by the SEC Commish. When we voted these 2 in, one of the requirements for "Yes" Votes were supposed to be "keep Permanent Rivals" in some way. Now, after the fact, we'll end up with no permanent rivals.

Very true. I've been pretty happy with Slive, overall, but if everyone loses their permanent rivals I hope they vote him out. You can't just do away with rivalries that have been around for over 100 years in some cases.

ChiTownBuffalo

Very true. I've been pretty happy with Slive, overall, but if everyone loses their permanent rivals I hope they vote him out. You can't just do away with rivalries that have been around for over 100 years in some cases.
Wouldn't the schools be able to vote for their own schedules and override the conference office?

KingGondo

Banned
I'm actually pretty pumped to play WVU and TCU, should be fun. There's a pretty good chance we'll get both at home next year, too.

Although WVU is trying to poach our associate head coach/special teams coach Joe DeForest to be their DC. Seems like a lateral move at best to me.

truly101

I got grudge sucked!
I'ma go out on a limb and say we will beat our playoff subdivision opponent this coming season.........

.........probably

andycapps

Wouldn't the schools be able to vote for their own schedules and override the conference office?

I'm sure they vote on scheduling or try to work together to resolve everyone's interests (maintaining those annual rivalries) but I'm not sure what would happen if the conference laid down the law and the AD's didn't agree.

ConfusingJazz said:
Speaking of A&M ruining things and then claiming its our fault, when does the SEC renegotiate its media contracts?

I think they can work on a renegotiation whenever they want. I would expect something to happen on that this offseason.

Lonestar

I imagine they'll work out the rivalry part, but as best I can tell, the SEC is who sets up the conference schedule, with not much wiggle room. You can attempt to ask for changes (Alabama and the Bye Week Problem a couple years ago) but the usual response is "..."

If this comes to fruition, the Rival Games could be set up as OOC games, as I think the PAC did this year (wasn't a Utah Game against a PAC team not counted as a Conference game?)

andycapps

I imagine they'll work out the rivalry part, but as best I can tell, the SEC is who sets up the conference schedule, with not much wiggle room. You can attempt to ask for changes (Alabama and the Bye Week Problem a couple years ago) but the usual response is "..."

If this comes to fruition, the Rival Games could be set up as OOC games, as I think the PAC did this year (wasn't a Utah Game against a PAC team not counted as a Conference game?)

That's going to be a hard sell to teams like UGA, USCe, and UF that already have permanent OOC opponents in GA Tech, Clemson, and FSU respectively. You'd be adding another permanent game onto your schedule leaving you only 2 OOC games. You better believe those would be cupcakes for everyone involved, if this happened. Which is likely the case anyway, this would just guarantee it.

Lonestar

That's going to be a hard sell to teams like UGA, USCe, and UF that already have permanent OOC opponents in GA Tech, Clemson, and FSU respectively. You'd be adding another permanent game onto your schedule leaving you only 2 OOC games. You better believe those would be cupcakes for everyone involved, if this happened. Which is likely the case anyway, this would just guarantee it.

Hey, shouldn't have buddied up with SEC East foes to keep those schools from entering the SEC! But Nooooo, we have to settle for A&M and Illinois.

bluemax

Banned

I don't think I know where this list/spread sheet is otherwise I would add it.

ChiTownBuffalo

pxleyes

Banned
Yay! It's the most wonderful time of the year.

I hope Pease will bring some of the Boise offense to Florida. Anything is better than Weis. ANYTHING.

Lonestar

Yay! It's the most wonderful time of the year.

I hope Pease will bring some of the Boise offense to Florida. Anything is better than Weis. ANYTHING.

Is Matt Jones Florida's first full sized RB since...

I can't remember. Easy answer was Tebow, but yeah, can't remember. 6'3" 225 lbs

Code:
Bowl Standings
SEC	        	9	6–3	0.667
ACC	        	8	2–6	0.250
WAC	        	3	0–3	0.000

Dat MAC power, baby.

chuckddd

Fear of a GAF Planet
Code:
Bowl Standings
SEC	        	9	6–3	0.667
ACC	        	8	2–6	0.250
WAC	        	3	0–3	0.000

Dat MAC power, baby.

DANCING-OHIO-LADIES.gif

bob page

Why the hell is Wisconsin ranked higher than MSU in the AP poll?

MSU beat them in the regular season and also won their bowl game, which Wisconsin did not.

bluemax

Banned

MSU beat them in the regular season and also won their bowl game, which Wisconsin did not.

Why do people still ask these kinds of questions when something like this happens once per season?

The answer? No one cares about anything in the final AP ballot outside of the top 5. What does it matter? You worried you won't be invited to the super secret playoffs of the top 10 teams that occur every Spring in North Dakota?

The answer? No one cares about anything in the final AP ballot outside of the top 5. What does it matter? You worried you won't be invited to the super secret playoffs of the top 10 teams that occur every Spring in North Dakota?

Being able to say you finished in the top 10 is kind of a big deal for the program

Code:
Bowl Standings
SEC	        	9	6–3	0.667