• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

College Football 2017 Week 6 |OT| It Just Means More (TM)

Lonestar

I joined for Erin Brockovich discussion
If the situation comes that Eason bolts because he lost the job because of injury, on top of picking up another 5 star QB, I fully expect Alabama, and every other team, to negative recruit the shit out of Georgia, over losing a starting spot due to injury.

I fully expect to negative recruit Georgia if Fromm transfers because of losing a spot to Eason, when Fromm has carried the team so far. ;P

Karl2177

Fromm won't leave. It's his dream school and he's a home state guy. Eason doesn't have those same loyalties. Still, if someone leaves then having 2 scholarship QBs is never great. If not for depth, just the sheer amount of passing that has to take place in practices can wear their arms out.

I wouldn't be shocked if they go after a transfer QB if Eason leaves.
Iowa State will take him. He'd have to sit out a year because of transfer rules, which would end up being Jacob Park's senior year. I'm fairly content taking Georgia's backup QBs.

andycapps

Iowa State will take him. He'd have to sit out a year because of transfer rules, which would end up being Jacob Park's senior year. I'm fairly content taking Georgia's backup QBs.
I mean his name is Jacob so it makes sense to keep that tradition going.

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook
Eason going to UGA was always wierd to me considering where he was from.

As Andy said Fields is a UGA kid from birth. He's a home grown lock. The kind every major program hopes for.

Fromm won't leave. It's his dream school and he's a home state guy. Eason doesn't have those same loyalties. Still, if someone leaves then having 2 scholarship QBs is never great. If not for depth, just the sheer amount of passing that has to take place in practices can wear their arms out.

I wouldn't be shocked if they go after a transfer QB if Eason leaves.

I assume Fromm also wants to play football. Maybe he stays, but if a dude younger than him shows up and wins the job, wouldn't be surprised if his loyalty doesn't go that far.

Things getting crazy on Rocky Top.

We have video footage.

SeroNCb.gif

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook
Plot twist: He transfers to USC.

I assume he didn't go to the Pac cause he wanted to get away from the West Coast. That being said it's an obvious landing spot IMO.

He's gotta be careful though. No point in transferring and then getting stuck in a QB competition.

Vandy really shouldn't compete. There's always a chance in the "so you're saying there's a chance" but I don't expect it to be much of a game. Their strengths and weaknesses don't line up well. They're not good at stopping the run. They're not good at running. They're not really great at passing either.

Fields going to UGA, just announced.
Saw this earlier. I will never understand a kid that highly rated going somewhere where he likely won't play much for 2-3 seasons. Kudos to Kirby for getting him though.

Saw this earlier. I will never understand a kid that highly rated going somewhere where he likely won't play much for 2-3 seasons. Kudos to Kirby for getting him though.

I mean, why not?

You guys act like QBs getting immediate playing time is something that's always been a part of college football. There's no harm in going to a program you feel most comfortable and taking time to learn the system before getting on the field. And maybe Fields is confident he can show up and win the job.

Damnit Lionpride not again! Looks like he said something directed at Evilore which is what got bluemax and Gondo perma'd. RIP :(

God dammit.

andycapps

They all think they can beat out whoever is in front of them. New philosophy at UGA. Kirby is telling these kids he wants them and his goal is bring in better kids the year after. It's all about competition. Totally different philosophy than Richt had.

Also, in state degree means a lot for future job offers, as does being close to home and where his sister will be playing softball too.

I mean, why not?

You guys act like QBs getting immediate playing time is something that's always been a part of college football. There's no harm in going to a program you feel most comfortable and taking time to learn the system before getting on the field. And maybe Fields is confident he can show up and win the job.
There is a very legitimate chance barring injury that UGA's current starting QB starts all 4 years that he is there. I doubt most highly ranked guys want to wait until their Senior year to take a meaningful snap. Honestly, the best case scenario for Fields is that Eason wins the job back, lights it up next year, goes pro and Fields takes over as a Sophomore while Fromm transfers somewhere else.

There is a very legitimate chance barring injury that UGA's current starting QB starts all 4 years that he is there. I doubt most highly ranked guys want to wait until their Senior year to take a meaningful snap. Honestly, the best case scenario for Fields is that Eason wins the job back, lights it up next year, goes pro and Fields takes over as a Sophomore while Fromm transfers somewhere else.

The best case for Fields in terms of early playing time is that he wins the job next year. What the fuck are you talking about? Lmao. Even if he doesn't, there are levels between "started as a true freshman" and "waited till he was a senior to play". Maybe he sees the writing on the wall after two years and dips. Maybe not. Georgia was where he wanted to be. Maybe he thinks he'll be good enough to start as a true or redshirt frosh. Maybe he doesn't and doesn't care, because he thinks UGA will best prepare him for the league, even if he has to wait in the wings for two years.

Onlookers thinking recruits are thinking "start instantly or bust" and refusing to acknowledge there's more at play for them is weird. There's more paths to the league than that. I'd wager most NFL QBs didn't start as soon as they got on campus. Best QB of all time sure as hell didn't.

The best case for Fields in terms of early playing time is that he wins the job next year. What the fuck are you talking about? Lmao. Even if he doesn't, there are levels between "started as a true freshman" and "waited till he was a senior to play". Maybe he sees the writing on the wall after two years and dips. Maybe not. Georgia was where he wanted to be. Maybe he thinks he'll be good enough to start as a true or redshirt frosh. Maybe he doesn't and doesn't care, because he thinks UGA will best prepare him for the league, even if he has to wait in the wings for two years.

Onlookers thinking recruits are thinking "start instantly or bust" and refusing to acknowledge there's more at play for them is weird. There's more paths to the league than that. I'd wager most NFL QBs didn't start as soon as they got on campus. Best QB of all time sure as hell didn't.
I agree that there is more in play for him, which is obviously why he chose UGA. I am just surprised that the potential lack of playing time didn't deter him more. Its not realistic that he beats out two other former 5 star QBs who now have plenty of experience in big games and who are likely to lead UGA to a major bowl game this year. You don't replace successful returning QBs with true freshmen. If he doesn't win the job as a freshman, it will be pretty difficult to win it at all until the other two guys are gone unless their level of play drops considerably.

By division

Tyrod Taylor 4 year starter
Tom Brady 2 year starter, (5 pass attempts as freshman)
Josh McCown 3 year starter (left after junior year)
Jay Cutler 4 year starter
Ben Roofiesburger 3 year starter (left after junior year)
Joe Flacco 6 pass attempts as freshman, transferred
Andy Dalton 4 year starter
DeShone Kizer 2 year starter (did not play as freshman)
DeShaun Watson 2.5 year starter (left after junior year, only started 8 games as freshman)
Marcus Mariota 3 year starter (left after junior year)
Blake Bortles 3 year starter (left after junior year)
Jacoby Brisset played 8 games as Freshman, 5 as sophomore, transferred to NC State where he started for 2 years
Alex Smith 2 year starter (only 2 games as Freshman)
Trevor Siemian 3 year starter (played in 8 games as Freshman, 26 attempts)
Derek Carr 3 year starter (14 attempts as freshman)
Phillip Rivers 4 year starter

That's just the AFC, but it seems like most starting NFL QBs started for 3+ years with a few exceptions.

DMVfan123

Banned
Damnit Lionpride not again! Looks like he said something directed at Evilore which is what got bluemax and Gondo perma'd. RIP :(

I actually think he is on a self-imposed ban, since he said something to the tune of "I don't think I'll post on here anymore" in the Black Culture Thread

andycapps

What's up everyone. I watched some of the games last night but was in some kind of stupor and remember waking up at 3 and the game was finally off. So I went back to sleep.

Did I miss anything?

Weather and kickoff time couldn't be more perfect down in Texas today, Jesus.

"Don't let this sign distract you from the fact that Baylor is 0-5."

Ha.

"The alphabet has more W's than Baylor does." Shiiiiiiiiiiit

By division

Tyrod Taylor 4 year starter
Tom Brady 2 year starter, (5 pass attempts as freshman)
Josh McCown 3 year starter (left after junior year)
Jay Cutler 4 year starter
Ben Roofiesburger 3 year starter (left after junior year)
Joe Flacco 6 pass attempts as freshman, transferred
Andy Dalton 4 year starter
DeShone Kizer 2 year starter (did not play as freshman)
DeShaun Watson 2.5 year starter (left after junior year, only started 8 games as freshman)
Marcus Mariota 3 year starter (left after junior year)
Blake Bortles 3 year starter (left after junior year)
Jacoby Brisset played 8 games as Freshman, 5 as sophomore, transferred to NC State where he started for 2 years
Alex Smith 2 year starter (only 2 games as Freshman)
Trevor Siemian 3 year starter (played in 8 games as Freshman, 26 attempts)
Derek Carr 3 year starter (14 attempts as freshman)
Phillip Rivers 4 year starter

That's just the AFC, but it seems like most starting NFL QBs started for 3+ years with a few exceptions.

Well, I'll be damned.

I stand by what I said about it not mattering all that much where you end up. If the end result is the league, get where you're most comfortable and where you're confident you're gonna get the work and development. If you're the best, you'll get on the field. The league will find your relevant tape, whether it's 4 years worth or just 1. Look at the first QB taken this year.

Rocketz

And Toledo’s leading receiver just went down with a injury on the first drive.

Taking him off on the cart with a cast already on his leg.

Top Bottom