• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

College Football Playoff + New Year's Six |OT|

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bunta

Fujiwara Tofu Shop
Henry needs to fire whoever did that to his hair.

VXdhuMv.jpg

jfkgoblue

I'm not even going to bother to be honest. I wanted to go but the game isn't going to be that exciting in my eyes.

Michigan lost its entire defense and Florida lost most of it.

We still have Rashan Gary and Mike McCray! (And TBD on if Jeremy Clark will be back)

ugh

I still think that it will be a good game, while both teams lose a lot, both will still be talented.

shandy706

Another neat fact about this Clemson Championship team:

5 of Clemson's players are the sons of players that were on the 1981 Championship team.

FyreWulff

Alabama and Clemson are simultaneously the first teams to both win and lose the final round of the CFP

Alabama is the first team to lose in both the semifinal and final

No team that has won the CFP is lossless in the CFP

I just want some sameness int eh secondary! Weve had 6 people from the secondary declare early last 2 seasons.

Which should tell you that we recruit great secondary players and probably don't have to worry about that part of the team. The defense might slip a bit, but I don't see it being enough to make a difference. The things that will make a difference for us are all offensive. O-line needs to gel.....WR's need to learn seperation.

I just want some sameness int eh secondary! Weve had 6 people from the secondary declare early last 2 seasons.
Which is why we have all these wonderful players coming to play secondary.

Which should tell you that we recruit great secondary players and probably don't have to worry about that part of the team. The defense might slip a bit, but I don't see it being enough to make a difference. The things that will make a difference for us are all offensive. O-line needs to gel.....WR's need to learn seperation.
Wyatt Davis should step in for a job and Pridgeon will be healthy, next year Myers (he needs to work on his technique before they start him) and then Carmen step in..

Stud will have pieces to work with and find some cohesion.. breathe

We will have Grimes, Victor, Harris (presumably), and KJ still.

Get to work Zack

How do you feel about the triple option Cyan?

@FootballScoop 8m8 minutes ago
Sources tell FootballScoop Cal considers Navy head coach Ken Niumatalolo a strong candidate for their job

Cyan

Banned
How do you feel about the triple option Cyan?

@FootballScoop 8m8 minutes ago
Sources tell FootballScoop Cal considers Navy head coach Ken Niumatalolo a strong candidate for their job

Hoo boy.

I actually get a kick out of watching teams use it, but mostly because it's unusual. If I had to watch it every week...

Also it doesn't seem to be very effective once other teams get the hang of it.

shandy706

So who do we (Clemson) go with at Quarterback in 2017-18...

4* Hunter Johnson - Freshman (Pro-Style)
4* Chase Brice - Freshman (Pro-Style)
4* Zerrick Cooper - Sophomore (Dual Threat)
3* Kelley Bryant - Junior (Dual Threat)
3* Tucker Israel - Sophomore (Dual Threat)

Believe that's right.

I'm guessing it's between Kelley Bryant or Zerrick Cooper...should be an interesting off season. I don't envy Dabo on making this decision.

cdyhybrid

So who do we (Clemson) go with at Quarterback in 2017-18...

4* Hunter Johnson - Freshman (Pro-Style)
4* Chase Brice - Freshman (Pro-Style)
4* Zerrick Cooper - Sophomore (Dual Threat)
3* Kelley Bryant - Junior (Dual Threat)
3* Tucker Israel - Sophomore (Dual Threat)

Believe that's right.

I'm guessing it's between Kelley Bryant or Zerrick Cooper...should be an interesting off season. I don't envy Dabo on making this decision.
Meh. He can let it play out and just pick whoever separates themselves. No one is expecting them to repeat anyway.

Hoo boy.

I actually get a kick out of watching teams use it, but mostly because it's unusual. If I had to watch it every week...

Paul Johnson has won 60% of his games and 58% of his conference games. Yes he's not competing for national titles but he's won his division 4 out of 9 years and that would be a pretty vast improvement for Cal over their current status.

I mean Stanford runs one of the more bog simple power run schemes in the nation and we've seen what they've done the past several years.

Also Navy has won their division both years they've been in the AAC and only lost 1 conference game each year.

andycapps

Hoo boy.

Next thing you'll be yelling about the difference between a cut block and a chop block.

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
Man, I'm still sad to see this defense go. It was one for the ages, even for Nick.

I feel like the worst part is how they went out. People only see that they gave up 35 points and lost the game for Bama by giving up TDs on Clemson's last two drives. When really, they played really damn well considering they defended 99 plays and 17 drives, and only gave up 21 in the first 15 drives to an elite offense and maybe the best QB in CFB.

They are going to lose a lot of respect because of that, undeservedly so.

On the other hand Bama's offense is handedly better than anything OSU put out there.

This, I'm not sure about though. Alabama's offense was shit this year and leaned extremely hard on the defense. It's easy for the offense to look good when the opponent can't move the ball or score and the offense gets lots of time to wear down the opposing defense and lots of attempts to score, often with decent to good field position.

I feel like the worst part is how they went out. People only see that they gave up 35 points and lost the game for Bama by giving up TDs on Clemson's last two drives. When really, they played really damn well considering they defended 99 plays and 17 drives, and only gave up 21 in the first 15 drives to an elite offense and maybe the best QB in CFB.

They are going to lose a lot of respect because of that, undeservedly so.

They absolutely proved Saban is more than on the right track with adapting to the game. Even just two more first downs from the offense (those fucking drops) and we win. Worried about the 2017 pass rush, but we're trending upward everywhere else. We'll be back.

The offense wasn't shit. It just…regressed. Sark called a mostly fine game, but he definitely panicked when Bo got hurt, for no good reason. Damien and Josh were gashing them. Given Lane stopped game planning about halfway through the season, I'm mostly fine with how they performed. Sark should work wonders with Jalen, who actually played a decent game.

This, I'm not sure about though. Alabama's offense was shit this year and leaned extremely hard on the defense. It's easy for the offense to look good when the opponent can't move the ball or score and the offense gets lots of time to wear down the opposing defense and lots of attempts to score, often with decent to good field position.

Nah bruh you gotta look at the common opponents.

Denali

What were the final play totals for each team? 99 for Clemson and how many for Bama?

I remember 2012 Clemson vs LSU: I think Clemson hit 100 there versus LSU at <60 I want to say. Still was a 1 point game (granted I think we fumbled on the 5 yard line twice or something).

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
What were the final play totals for each team? 99 for Clemson and how many for Bama?

I remember 2012 Clemson vs LSU: I think Clemson hit 100 there versus LSU at <60 I want to say. Still was a 1 point game (granted I think we fumbled on the 5 yard line twice or something).

Bama had 66. They were trying to run a lot of plays but it didn't do them any good because they weren't converting, so they were just coughing the ball up faster and giving Clemson more opportunities. Only 2/16 Bama drives had more than 5 plays and lasted more than 2 minutes. Awful.

It's a small wonder the offense managed 31.

I still have a weird feeling we get one of them...not sure which one though. I am probably wrong but I have a Vonn Bell type of vibe about it.
We will have to watch Jerron Cage's visit to Notre Dame closely..

If one of them does indeed decide to join.. them we will definitely see Cage flip to ND. Between Marvin/Tufele, Landers, Sprinkle, and Taron Vincent next year..

He might get buried.

andycapps

Oh wow, A&M hired Mark Hocke as strength and conditioning coach. He was ours last year and it was a disaster. Does not know what he's doing as far as coaching weightlifting form, or really any of it. The best thing he ever did was be an assistant under Cochran at Bama. But he relies on trying to hype players up and isn't concerned with progression or coaching, seemingly.

Was not retained by Smart and ended up at FSU as an assistant.

Good luck with that.

Lonestar

I joined for Erin Brockovich discussion
Bama had 66. They were trying to run a lot of plays but it didn't do them any good because they weren't converting, so they were just coughing the ball up faster and giving Clemson more opportunities. Only 2/16 Bama drives had more than 5 plays and lasted more than 2 minutes. Awful.

It's a small wonder the offense managed 31.

Both games of the playoffs, Alabama's offense on 3rd down went: 6/29 for 20.6%.

giphy.gif

Oh wow, A&M hired Mark Hocke as strength and conditioning coach. He was ours last year and it was a disaster. Does not know what he's doing as far as coaching weightlifting form, or really any of it. The best thing he ever did was be an assistant under Cochran at Bama. But he relies on trying to hype players up and isn't concerned with progression or coaching, seemingly.

Was not retained by Smart and ended up at FSU as an assistant.

Good luck with that.

Good motivator but terrible at coaching proper form? I bet he owns and operates a Crossfit gym.

Definitely feel like Minnesota is building Schiano West out there with the Robb Smith hire.

Very pleased that Slo is going to experience Schiano ball.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom