• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Color depth on the XSX

• Thread starter Deleted member 801069
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 801069

Unconfirmed Member
I was just messing around with the video settings and I noticed that the default color depth on my xsx is 24 bits per pixel (8-bit)

I have the option to change it to 30 bits per pixel (10-bit) or 36 bits per pixel (12-bit).

is there any reason why I wouldn't change it to 12-bit? maybe I'm missing something?

I have an incredibly basic understanding of video fidelity and the likes, so any feedback is appreciated.

thanks!

D

Deleted member 801069

Unconfirmed Member
Thats for HDR afaik, I dont think you'll get a benefit from turning it on for SDR.
if I leave it at 8-bit, would it auto scale higher when using HDR? when should I be adjusting these settings?

Kuranghi

if I leave it at 8-bit, would it auto scale higher when using HDR? when should I be adjusting these settings?

It should auto go to 10-bit when HDR is turned on in a game. The 12-bit is just future facing I think, there aren't any 12-bit consumer TVs/displays worth buying yet. I think there was one announced this year but its Hisense, so even if that part of the TV is good, many other parts will be lacking compared to the big brands. The red might be 12-bit but its still lipstick on a pig, or an attractive dog at the most.

What TV do you have?

Last edited:

M1chl

Currently Gif and Meme Champion
There is a HDR guide in Apps, you may want to run it first and then it will system change settings to suit your needs.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 801069

Unconfirmed Member
It should auto go to 10-bit when HDR is turned on in a game. The 12-bit is just future facing I think, there aren't any 12-bit consumer TVs/displays worth buying yet. I think there was one announced this year but its Hisense, so even if that part of the TV is good, many other parts will be lacking compared to the big brands.

What TV do you have?
it's a Samsung Frame 65 inch

UN65LS03NAF

I know it's kinda old but I have no reason to upgrade quite yet :(

D

Deleted member 801069

Unconfirmed Member
There is a HDR guide in Apps, you may want to run it first and then it will system change settings to suit your needs.
I think I did this back when I first got the xsx, I'll just leave the settings as they are then.

Kuranghi

it's a Samsung Frame 65 inch

UN65LS03NAF

I know it's kinda old but I have no reason to upgrade quite yet :(

PM when you're gonna and I'll give you advice, two years isn't old! Next time you buy I'll get you something you can keep for 5 years and not worry about upgrading. I can't promise you a TV that blends in like that though, did you buy that TV for the WAF? Or was it what you wanted?

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 801069

Unconfirmed Member
PM when you're gonna and I'll give you advice, two years isn't old! Next time you buy I'll get you something you can keep for 5 years and not worry about upgrading. I can't promise you a TV that blends in like that though, did you buy that TV for the WAF? Or was it what you wanted?
WAF?

D

Deleted member 801069

Unconfirmed Member
Wife Acceptance Factor.
Lol yeah, that was major a part of it

I wasn’t gaming at the time, so I really only planned on using it for the occasional movie and art mode. And yes, it made the wife happy

Reizo Ryuu

Gold Member

Mine doesn't, not correctly at least, it forces netflix into HDR modes even though I have the standard sub and thus no access to HDR netflix, making the colours look like shit.
Likewise it doesn't properly switch between SDR/HDR10/Dolby in amazon prime and disney+, it just forces the apps to be entirely in HDR10 or Dolby, screwing up the colours again.

It properly switches for games, but HDR10 game mode looks like shit on my tv. I don't want the added input lag for the standard mode.

Last edited:

Kuranghi

Lol yeah, that was major a part of it

I wasn’t gaming at the time, so I really only planned on using it for the occasional movie and art mode. And yes, it made the wife happy

It has the highest WAF of any TV I've seen. Maybe the LG R9 rollable OLED would beat it but its like 60 grand lol:

Anyway, hit me up when its time to unleash the wallet on a new TV. For a bit more than what you paid for the 65" The Frame you could get the best TV that year. Like an OLED, even a top end one.

Sony makes an OLED where the speaker is the screen, it vibrates the glass to create sound waves, so the sound moves across the screen from left to right as the sound in the film does. Just don't let her sit on it too often or she'll get addicted.

Thats a TV with a high enough WAF to counter The Frame I'd say.

Last edited:

Kuranghi

Mine doesn't, not correctly at least, it forces netflix into HDR modes even though I have the standard sub and thus no access to HDR netflix, making the colours look like shit.
Likewise it doesn't properly switch between SDR/HDR10/Dolby in amazon prime and disney+, it just forces the apps to be entirely in HDR10 or Dolby, screwing up the colours again.

It properly switches for games, but HDR10 game mode looks like shit on my tv. I don't want the added input lag for the standard mode.

Thats weird, and if you go into the TV settings and manually turn off HDR does everything look correct? Is the XSX going through any devices or just straight into the TV?

Reizo Ryuu

Gold Member
Thats weird, and if you go into the TV settings and manually turn off HDR does everything look correct? Is the XSX going through any devices or just straight into the TV?
Dunno, ahven't tried, but I don't think so, it forces the apps to boot in HDR modes, even though the app itself should manage that.
So the netflix UI looks perfect, but the actual video streams look like shit, don't think turning it off through the tv would stop the app itself requesting the HDR stream.
Also turning it off throught the tv is not an option for dolby vision, only HDR10

Kuranghi

Dunno, ahven't tried, but I don't think so, it forces the apps to boot in HDR modes, even though the app itself should manage that.
So the netflix UI looks perfect, but the actual video streams look like shit, don't think turning it off through the tv would stop the app itself requesting the HDR stream.
Also turning it off throught the tv is not an option for dolby vision, only HDR10

I'm not sure how its handled on console apps, just the in-TV app, although I believe the PS5 is just HDR everywhere now, even SDR games are tonemapped to HDR or at least put in an HDR container when HDR is turned on in the settings. On my TV at least Netflix has SDR menus and when you start the show it switches to HDR10 or Dolby Vision depending on the content. I would usually assume the app itself is the thing controlling what it outputs, as is on 4K BD players' apps, android boxes and streaming sticks, but since the PS5 does this then maybe the XSX does as well, is the home screen in HDR? I googled but couldn't find out.

Rikkori

Keep it 8bit and disable HDR at the system level, because you're not going to get actual HDR with that TV. That way you can have more control over the image through the TV's settings. On the plus side it does seem to have 1080p (and 1440p?) 120hz support that should work with Xbox though, as well as VRR.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 801069

Unconfirmed Member
Keep it 8bit and disable HDR at the system level, because you're not going to get actual HDR with that TV. That way you can have more control over the image through the TV's settings. On the plus side it does seem to have 1080p (and 1440p?) 120hz support that should work with Xbox though, as well as VRR.
The Xbox recommended leaving HDR on when I ran the setup

edit: added a pic in the post right below

Last edited by a moderator:
D

Deleted member 801069

Unconfirmed Member
RTragv1.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

Irken Skoodge

Neo Member
I read this thread from the developer of Scourgebringer on Twitter regarding color depth and hdr, good info click to read the rest of the thread.

Rikkori

I know, what that means it will send you HDR signal but the problem is what that will do when it's played back on the TV is the TV will get max bright and then black levels will get blown up and you'll have a greyer picture. So my recommendation to you for best picture quality is to never use HDR on this TV.

D

Deleted member 801069

Unconfirmed Member
I know, what that means it will send you HDR signal but the problem is what that will do when it's played back on the TV is the TV will get max bright and then black levels will get blown up and you'll have a greyer picture. So my recommendation to you for best picture quality is to never use HDR on this TV.
Hmm I’ll mess around with it, thanks for the heads up

is it due to the age of the tv or something?

Rikkori

Hmm I’ll mess around with it, thanks for the heads up

is it due to the age of the tv or something?
No, it's just that the TV itself has no local dimming & doesn't get very bright, colour volume is low etc. My TV is from 2018 as well but it does fine in HDR because of those reasons. Essentially with The Frame TVs you're paying for TV design rather than hardware capabilities. I mean heck, the best LCD TV is still by many accounts the Sony ZD9 which came out in 2016. So it just comes down to the actual hardware of the TV.

D

Deleted member 801069

Unconfirmed Member
No, it's just that the TV itself has no local dimming & doesn't get very bright, colour volume is low etc. My TV is from 2018 as well but it does fine in HDR because of those reasons. Essentially with The Frame TVs you're paying for TV design rather than hardware capabilities. I mean heck, the best LCD TV is still by many accounts the Sony ZD9 which came out in 2016. So it just comes down to the actual hardware of the TV.
Got it, thanks!

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius

12 bit HDR, 4K, 60-120 Hz would bring it above the bandwidth available to XSX HDMI output thus forcing the system to drop from RGB full chroma to 4:2:0 YUV lowering quality.

Top Bottom