• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Color Out of Space Trailer (Nicolas Cage, Dir: Richard Stanley)

MV5BMzhhMDhmODYtODFhYS00MzZlLWEyOWEtODY0ZDBjYjA2OTUzXkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyMDU0NjA0Ng@@._V1_SX782_CR0,0,782,999_AL_.jpg

Synopsis: After a meteorite lands in the front yard of their farm, Nathan Gardner (Nicolas Cage) and his family find themselves battling a mutant extraterrestrial organism as it infects their minds and bodies, transforming their quiet rural life into a living nightmare. Based on the classic H.P. Lovecraft short story, Color Out of Space is "gorgeous, vibrant and terrifying" (Jonathan Barkan, Dread Central). Director: Richard Stanley (Hardware, Dust Devil)

Last edited:

Doom85

Looks cool. but seriously WTF with these trailers that basically just give away the entire plot of a movie. How about just teasing shit marketing people.

It's a HP Lovecraft story. 9 times out of 10, pretty much everybody significant either dies or goes mad. Also, they're short stories, and yeah The Color Out of Space is pretty much "meteorite unlike any other lands near a farm, drives family sick and insane". I mean, it's kind of hard of for the trailer not to spoil the whole story because that pretty much is the entire story.

Oh fuck yeah. If Cosmatos can only make a movie every decade, at least the production company behind him is free to do more shit.
I am all over this when it releases.

Even a decent adaptation of Lovecraft's work is enough to have me excited. The only one I've loved so far is The Resurrected, and there's a lot of bias involved in that.

nah, i'm out.

the color out of space is supposed to be creepy as fuck, not jump scare laden cheese

also, doesn't it turn everything grey?

Exclusive: Lovecraft Trilogy in the Works at SpectreVision!
ComingSoon.net had the opportunity to speak with SpectreVision’s Elijah Wood and Daniel Noah about their upcoming movie Color Out of Space, starring Nicolas Cage, as well as their love of H.P. Lovecraft, confirming that they are attempting to “build out a Lovecraft universe” with Color Out of Space’s director and co-writer Richard Stanley.

Noah and Wood revealed that they are in the very early stages of developing The Dunwich Horror, saying that they hope there’s “enough of an appetite for these things, and we can keep them going and make at least three of them” as they feel Lovecraft is “such an important voice in horror.”

More at the link

TindalosPup

When I read the short story myself I thought it'd make a great film (all of Lovecraft's work would make fine films IMO)

I'm torn, though

It's not a direct adaptation, it's significantly modernized, and modern horror is iffy

But Nic Cage AND Tommy Chong

I'll just have to watch it

GV82

okay this im interested in.

Not that we should give a shit about the tomatoes and make up our own mind but it’s been doing the rounds since September and the rotten tomatoes meter is at 85% from 39 critic reviews, so thats not a bad start.

Clear

CliffyB's Cock Holster
The story has been adapted a few times already, so what happens in it shouldn't be entirely surprising even if you've not read Lovecraft. I read an advance festival review (maybe on Screen Anarchy?) , which was somewhat positive, mainly about how good the movie looks, but critical of the character work.

That being said, I find reviews of modern horror to be almost entirely irrelevant to me. But then when most of the product is so toothless and poorly written, there's little that I consider worthwhile to go around...

Horror lives on the edge of acceptability. And I'm not just talking about gore, I'm talking about offering a real sense that events might go too far. Most recent releases are too safe and politically correct to even get close to threatening that.
But then, when a recent review on Bloody Disgusting suggested that a horror movie might deserve a trigger warning... I think the genre is pretty much fucked right now.

dan76

From the trailer it looks generic as fuck.
Anyone seen Banshee Chapter? I thought that was an ok attempt at Lovecraft.

I haven't seen it but wasn't Mandy meant to be good?
If I could sum up Mandy as succinctly as possible, its like Hellraiser meets Jacob's Ladder meets I Saw the Devil. It's a horror/revenge movie about possibly supernatural entities and a cult that controls them with acid and makes you feel like you're on just as much drugs as they are. If anything, the production of Mandy is beyond amazing.

I personally thought Mandy was really good but, for my tastes, Panos Cosmatos first film is the real masterpiece.

blackrainbowbg.jpg

Check it out. Very Space Odyssey on....MORE drugs lol. For those interested, it's also packed full of gnostic imagery.

Last edited:

Clear

CliffyB's Cock Holster
If I could sum up Mandy as succinctly as possible, its like Hellraiser meets Jacob's Ladder meets I Saw the Devil. It's a horror/revenge movie about possibly supernatural entities and a cult that controls them with acid and makes you feel like you're on just as much drugs as they are. If anything, the production of Mandy is beyond amazing.

I personally thought Mandy was really good but, for my tastes, Panos Cosmatos first film is the real masterpiece.

blackrainbowbg.jpg

Check it out. Very Space Odyssey on....MORE drugs lol. For those interested, it's also packed full of gnostic imagery.

Great poster. Damn.

I haven't seen it but wasn't Mandy meant to be good?

It's good, the character scenes are really, really well done that will leave an imprint in your memory. One of the most memorable scenes of the movie is with only Cage's character and I don't want to ruin it but it's a very classic Nic Cage, Raising Arizona moment.

Just got back from watching this and thought it was an excellent modern adaptation of Lovecraft's story. Nic Cage has been killing it recently between this and Mandy. Great cast all around, really. Even Tommy Chong was perfect for his role.

Also, I read that the director is working on more Lovecraft films, with Dunwich Horror already being worked on. After this adaptation, I'm really looking forward to it!

Richard Stanley? The ousted original director of 1996's The Island of Dr. Moreau? That's...very interesting.

After watching the documentary "Lost Soul: The Doomed Journey of Richard Stanley’s Island of Dr. Moreau", I'm curious what kind of movie an oddball character such as himself can muster.

Last edited:

Melon Husk

It came out a year early to feature a work at home family with internet issues. It would be that much more relatable now.

It’s rare that a movie needs more runtime but this one needed breathing room. Too much talking, no one shuts up.

Good monsters. Almost Carpenter’s The Thing tier.

Cage’s performance was surprisingly the weakest. One odd take after another.

Top Bottom