• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Colorless Tsukuru Tazaki and His Years of Pilgrimage - Murakami

Status
Not open for further replies.
0810-bks-Smith-sub-COVER-master675-v2.jpg

Tsukuru Tazaki had four best friends at school. By chance all of their names contained a colour. The two boys were called Akamatsu, meaning 'red pine', and Oumi, 'blue sea', while the girls' names were Shirane, 'white root', and Kurono, 'black field'. Tazaki was the only last name with no colour in it.

One day Tsukuru Tazaki's friends announced that they didn't want to see him, or talk to him, ever again.

Since that day Tsukuru has been floating through life, unable to form intimate connections with anyone. But then he meets Sara, who tells him that the time has come to find out what happened all those years ago.

Amazon UK
Amazon US
Releases Tuesday :)

So, who will be reading? Anybody already read it?

CheesecakeRecipe

Stormy Grey
I still have to finish Wind-Up Bird Chronicles! Maybe I'll pick it up just to push myself towards spending more time reading like I promised myself.

Empty

i'm attracted by it being more of a straight story, ala norwegian wood or after dark, i'm not sure if i trust his surreal side anymore after 1Q84 which to me was a total disaster

also there's a cool minimalist poster advert for this near where i live which is just murakami in all caps above a blue circle on a white background. nothing else. i was pretty jazzed to see it, even if it makes him sound like he's releasing a downtempo ambient lp. though when people see the cover itself they should make the connection :)

This sounds fairly interesting, as I'm certainly partial to Murakami's more level-headed stories.

Side note: the explosion in popularity around him in the states is astounding. When did this happen? I'd rarely hear his name mentioned until the lead-up to 1Q84, after which he seemed to be everywhere.

Looking forward to it, enjoyed IQ84 but the translation seemed a bit off in comparison to his other novels. And as I'm sure everyone does, I prefer the UK cover. Is this more of a slice of life like Norwegian Wood or Sputnick Sweetheart? Hard to tell if there's supposed to be a fantastical element in the summary.

Edit: Or maybe not, didn't see the first paragraph for some reason.

I don't have it preordered. I'm not sure if I should even buy it until it comes out in paperback; I have way too many novels I haven't finished as it is.

It sounds pretty interesting, though, based on the handful of reviews I've read. It would make sense to do a smaller, more realistic novel after 1Q84 (especially since some prominent critics didn't like it).

LProtag

Preordered, coming on Tuesday from Amazon.

Can't wait, even if I have to deal with the US cover.

1Q84 wasn't my favorite, but I still enjoyed it.

Now I liked Hard Boiled Wonderland and the End of the World but that's the only one of his books I've read. If this is in the same vein I might get it.

Instro

I've read a fair chunk of his work, 1q84 was pretty so-so for but I'll definitely pick this up sometime this year.

R.I.P

Got into Murakami earlier this summer by reading Norwegian Wood and Kafka On The Shore so I'm pretty excited about this one. It's not coming out here in Finland until September, so I might end up getting either A Wild Sheep Chase or 1q84 before that as I want something new to read.

demon

I don't mean to alarm you but you have dogs on your face
About to finish up Wind-Up Bird. Have also read South of the Border and Norwegian Wood. There are other Murakami books I really want to read but maybe I'll make this my next one, just for the sake of jumping on a new-Murakami-book bandwagon for the first time.

AwesomeSauce

MagsMoonshine
I still have to finish Wind-Up Bird Chronicles! Maybe I'll pick it up just to push myself towards spending more time reading like I promised myself.

I'm on the same boat. I was enjoying the book a lot before I got distracted with school. I've been meaning to get back and finish it :/

Looking forward to it, enjoyed IQ84 but the translation seemed a bit off in comparison to his other novels. And as I'm sure everyone does, I prefer the UK cover. Is this more of a slice of life like Norwegian Wood or Sputnick Sweetheart? Hard to tell if there's supposed to be a fantastical element in the summary.

Edit: Or maybe not, didn't see the first paragraph for some reason.

Yep, reviews say it's very close to these in style, with some magical realism mixed in (I think I read about dream sequences).

CheesecakeRecipe

Stormy Grey
You know, doesn't Amazon.co.uk ship to the US anyways? Fans were getting the Twin Peaks Blu Ray box set shipped to them from there since the set was region free and was $50 cheaper or so. This might end up being slightly more expensive, but that cover would be worth it.

I'm on the same boat. I was enjoying the book a lot before I got distracted with school. I've been meaning to get back and finish it :/

We can do it! Maybe I'll push aside a few things after dinner tonight and get back to it.

Iksenpets

Banned
Got into Murakami earlier this summer by reading Norwegian Wood and Kafka On The Shore so I'm pretty excited about this one. It's not coming out here in Finland until September, so I might end up getting either A Wild Sheep Chase or 1q84 before that as I want something new to read.

Do they have Wind Up Bird Chronicle in Finland? I think that's still his best, especially if you liked the general tone of Kafka.

I'm still working my way through 1Q84 right now. It's ok, but definitely not his best. Colorless will probably end up being my first non-surreal Murakami whenever I get to it.

Osahi

Read it (Dutch translation came out in january. Since 1Q84 we are usually first. Big fanbase in holland and belgium)

I think it is one of his lesser works. Took me a while to finish and never really gotten into. Not that its bad. Not at all. The melancholy Murakami provokes is second to none imo. But i don't know, I didn't care that much for the main character and the reason why he got isolated seeled tame.

Read all his works btw, except his first two untranslated novels. Wins up bird and south of the border are his bests. And his shorts.

Osahi

Yep, reviews say it's very close to these in style, with some magical realism mixed in (I think I read about dream sequences).
It reminded me a lot of Norwegian Wood. There is hardly any surrealusm, except for some dreams idd and a
weird "state of near death" the character lives trough for a while

sounds interesting - if i've never read Murakami, what's his best work to start with?

Most people would recommend The Wind-Up Bird Chronicle, though I'd say it's quite a dense book. Hard-Boiled Wonderland And The End Of The World and Kafka on the Shore are also widely celebrated - all of them have quite a degree of magical realism/surreal elements and can give you a good idea about Murakami's style.
There's also some books like Norwegian Wood, After Dark and Sputnik Sweetheart which focus more on realistic character drama. So really it depends on your taste, you can probably jump in to any of his books and get a good idea what he's about as a writer. I personally started with Kafka and then quickly consumed lots of his other novels soon after. Only one I'd recommend not starting with is 1Q84, simply because of the sheer bloat of it. Maybe Colourless Tsukuru would be a good place to start, while the rest of us are reading :)

War Peaceman

You're a big guy.
sounds interesting - if i've never read Murakami, what's his best work to start with?

Sputnik Sweetheart is short and sweet. Pretty reflective of his general style. Norwegian Wood or The Wind Up Bird are also great ways in.

Got this preordered and cannot wait. I've read everything else he's done. Even 1Q84, which I disliked at first but came back to in a big way.

demon

I don't mean to alarm you but you have dogs on your face
Why does the US always get screwed over with ugly cover art, be it books, movies, games.... sigh.

Osahi

Opinions are divided it seems. But his output is quite great so it is hard to pick a bad novel to start with. People just have different favourites it seems.

I'd recommend South of the Border. It's a short book, and very good. His masterpiece in my opinion is Wind-up bird. But that's is a very long one (allthough I'm not sure the English translation is updated allready. Dutch translation is of the revised version which got another third part added to it). Or, mayby better; Start with his short collections. You'll easily get an idea of his style, and read many different kinds of stories, from full blown surrealism, to realistic ones in one book. (The elephent vanishes is great, After the Quake too)

But once you read one of his books, you'll probably want to read them all. His works divide themselves in groups.

You have the realisticy stuff like norwegian wood, Colorless, Sputnik Sweetheart, ... who have some magic realistic elements.

You have his more magic realistic works like Wind-up Bird, Kafka on the Shore, ...

You have the ones that are more surrealistic and high concept like, like Hard-Boiled Wonderland and arguably 1Q84

You have his shorts

You have his non-fiction ones (What I talk about... and Underground). Underground is his only book I disliked (it is so thorough in it's investigation of the gas attacks, it gets one-note. Halfway trough you're like: okay, i got this allready)

Porcile

FYI Murakami is doing a book signing at the massive Waterstones in Piccadilly on August 30th. Not sure I have the energy to get up to London at 7:30 just to get a place in the queue. It's just a limited book signing as well, no talk or Q&A. Anyway, thought UK GAF would like to know.

Kikujiro

Wow I can't believe we (Italy) got the book before the English release.
I'm reading it, I'm liking it way more than 1Q84, my favourites are Wind-up bird and Dance Dance Dance, this feels similar to them.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom