• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Columbia University Marching Band decides it was founded on racism, cultural oppression, and misogyny, dissolves itself

TDiddyLive

Feb 22, 2018
This was an empty gesture to score some virtue points. It’s not like you could have a marching band in the time of Covid restrictions.

Now just wait for restrictions to drop and they come back together in solidarity to show racism can’t win.

diffusionx

Feb 25, 2006
I wonder how these kids are going to feel in 10-20 years, when they realize they threw away something they put an amazing amount of work and effort in, something that they found joy and community with, on the basis of some made up bullshit propaganda fed to them by their loser professors and the social media they are addicted to.

Last edited:
Jul 13, 2020
We can't continue to do something we enjoy because people we had no relation or affiliation with, many years ago, ALLEGEDLY held certain viewpoints that could POSSIBLY offend people NOW.

Why even get out of bed in the morning with this logic? Why even sleep in a bed? Your mattress was probably made by the genetic amalgam of people who disrespected people of color and hated women. Don't you know about the wage gap between male and female mattress makers? Hell, I bet your headboard was whittled from African trees without the consent of indigenous peoples. Best go kill yourself, but make sure to check the type of bullets you use. Suicide by way of bullets commonly used in law enforcement could be construed as you dying for the police. ACAB, MIRITE

For fucks sake. If I do wrong, hold me accountable. If my neighbor/father/Burger King employee/alumni does wrong, the only apology you'll get from me is "sorry you're so sensitive,"

dionysus

Yaldog
May 12, 2007
Texaa
I bet they are just going to rename themselves but take virtue signalling points for standing up to oppression.

Also, unanimous votes used to be considered a sign of totalitarian oppression. You can't get 100 people to agree that the earth is a globe unless they feel threatened somehow.

DunDunDunpachi

Patient MembeR
Apr 18, 2018
USA
dunpachi.com
Gooooood. Let these schools gradually close themselves down to make room for people who actually care about education. These ideologues will be horrified when they realize their righteous protest ended up being nothing more than stepping out of the way for the "deplorables" to take their place.

Can't wait for the purple-haired academics to grab tiki-torches and chant "you will not replace us" while private universities rise to prominence. They already shame and screech at anyone who doesn't believe in the Holy Church of Public School.

#Phonepunk#

Sep 4, 2018
Got to admit that turning you not having a job into a brave stance is pretty funny. Like these losers would just be sitting at home anyways this year only now they are sitting home as some grand moral display. Practically, they don’t have to lift a finger. They are “making a stand” in the absolutely laziest way possible.

Last edited:
  • Thoughtful
Reactions: off duty ninja

DunDunDunpachi

Patient MembeR
Apr 18, 2018
USA
dunpachi.com
I wonder how these kids are going to feel in 10-20 years, when they realize they threw away something they put an amazing amount of work and effort in, something that they found joy and community with, on the basis of some made up bullshit propaganda fed to them by their loser professors and the social media they are addicted to.
If history is any indication, they will become the frustrated True Believers of the next collectivist cult. They were promised something grand, they were within its reach, but The Other stole it away from us. The Other. The Other. If only we could get rid of The Other then all of this would've been a success.

Do you see any evidence that they take responsibility for themselves now? Why would they come to the realization later that it was their fault? Some will, but most won't.

You can see similar True Believers spring up between the reforms of the Tsar to the Bolshevik revolution, between the defeat of Germany in WW1 and the rise of Hitler prior to WW2. The bitterness of defeat of the radical ideology fueled an even worse cult later.

If this is so, we have a tough road ahead. "The worst is yet to come" with this ideology, in other words. Right now they are "playing nice" which sounds hilarious when buildings are burning, but the people who don't wake up now but instead harbor bitterness over their defeat, these are liable to become the school shooters and terrorists and arsonists and political guerillas of the 2030s and 2040s.

Boss Mog

Dec 12, 2013
Maybe BLM and Antifa could also choose to dissolve themselves in a vat of acid? 🤷‍♂️

diffusionx

Feb 25, 2006
If history is any indication, they will become the frustrated True Believers of the next collectivist cult. They were promised something grand, they were within its reach, but The Other stole it away from us. The Other. The Other. If only we could get rid of The Other then all of this would've been a success.

Do you see any evidence that they take responsibility for themselves now? Why would they come to the realization later that it was their fault? Some will, but most won't.

You can see similar True Believers spring up between the reforms of the Tsar to the Bolshevik revolution, between the defeat of Germany in WW1 and the rise of Hitler prior to WW2. The bitterness of defeat of the radical ideology fueled an even worse cult later.

If this is so, we have a tough road ahead. "The worst is yet to come" with this ideology, in other words. Right now they are "playing nice" which sounds hilarious when buildings are burning, but the people who don't wake up now but instead harbor bitterness over their defeat, these are liable to become the school shooters and terrorists and arsonists and political guerillas of the 2030s and 2040s.
Eh, let's be honest here, a lot of people in this, a lot of people in general, are future normies or even future right wing scum. Now, this may be an outdated take and we are in store for much worse, but even in revolutions, most get along to get along. They're not true believers. Look at Portland and Seattle, based on what we have seen, it's a small handful of anarchists out every night (to the point where the same people are arrested constantly) and a lot of people that just keep their head down and pray for peace in private.

I highly doubt a bunch of band nerds are the vanguard of the revolution. They dropped a lifelong passion in a struggle session, chances are soon enough they will feel some indiscriminate and undefined anger and frustration about it, and it will only become more obvious as they get older, realize the indoctrination they received at school, and come to understand that they gave up something they loved for No Good Reason.

Last edited:

DunDunDunpachi

Patient MembeR
Apr 18, 2018
USA
dunpachi.com
Eh, let's be honest here, a lot of people in this, a lot of people in general, are future normies or even future right wing scum. Now, this may be an outdated take and we are in store for much worse, but even in revolutions, most get along to get along. They're not true believers. Look at Portland and Seattle, based on what we have seen, it's a small handful of anarchists and a lot of people that just keep their head down and plead for peace.

I highly doubt a bunch of band nerds are the vanguard of the revolution. They dropped a lifelong passion in a struggle session, chances are soon enough they will feel some indiscriminate and undefined anger and frustration about it, and it will only become more obvious as they get older, realize the indoctrination they received at school, and come to understand that they gave up something they loved for No Good Reason.
Sure, these band nerds might end up being frustrated nothings. I'm just highlighting that the people who are making grand gestures for the movement now as it begins to collapse will be the most disappointed / frustrated when the revolt fails. And they will be the recruits for the next collectivist cult because instead of concluding "maybe collectivism is bad" they will conclude "it could have succeeded if only Trumphf / Deplorables / White people / etc didn't mess it up". I expect a large-enough group will fall into the latter category to make it worthy of keeping an eye on.

Portland and Seattle kinda make my point: the vanguard of the current revolution ain't exactly muscle-bound biker gangs and ex-cons, either. They are shrimpy uni / welfare rejects or obese hamlords. Don't dismiss these band nerds. Give them 10 more years of therapy and conversion hormones and they'll be desperate enough to burn anything down.

• Thoughtful
Reactions: haxan7

Rentahamster

Rodent Whores
Jun 26, 2007
Best Coast
With that logic, they're potentially on the path to decide to dissolve the entire school.

What these students don't realize is that the people in power don't give a shit because most of the things the students do don't accomplish anything meaningful to threaten the people in power. Nobody in power loses any money if the marching band stupidly decides to alt+f4 itself.

The minute these students threaten the tuition money or especially their endowment, however, is when you might see shit go down.

• Thoughtful
Reactions: haxan7

jason10mm

Feb 3, 2009
Was this some sort of extracurricular group at the school or was it part of the music department? Did they play at games and whatnot?

What sort of bad things do band geeks do anyway?

dcll

Apr 28, 2017
So when the college was setup they just focused all the bad things like racism on the band department? What about the rest of the school??

Derekloffin

Jun 17, 2013
So, I expect they will not be voting Democrat either with that logic. Nah, asking them to actually do something meaningful and consistent is probably too much.

cryptoadam

... and he cannot lie
Feb 21, 2018
Not to be racist but aren't a lot of blacks usually in these marching bands?

Rock And Roll

Sep 28, 2014
I went into the music business as a career because it was a field where we all cracked dumb jokes, said stupid shit and generally have a lot of fun doing what we love for a living. I obviously don't make as much money as my relatives who work for the government, or as a lawyer/doctor/business etc... But that really didn't matter to me. Enjoying my job and all the freedoms associated with it was better than loathing my job and having to adhere to a corporate sense of professionalism. I am grossed out seeing these children trying to infiltrate my field of work. Luckily it takes grind and hustle which are traits none of these spineless crybabies have, but it still worries me they are knocking at the door trying to bring their PC nonsense into a profession that is largely devoid of it.

Music/arts have always been full of liberals (I used to consider myself one) but the extremists weren't around. Now they seem to be popping up everywhere. If this is the future I'll just go back to school and work a high paying job, because there's no point in doing this if the outrage mob is going to take over this profession.

• Empathy
Reactions: DunDunDunpachi

Paracelsus

Jun 24, 2007
So what happens if a bunch of mentally stable, emotionally balanced people decide to fund another one?

Apr 18, 2014
The Bored members of the Columbia University Marching Band pledge to support community
members who choose to disclose instances of sexual assault, or any forms of harassment,
discrimination, or violence. We will not prejudge members who disclose, and they will not be
blamed for what occurred. Our job as the Bored of the CUMB is to ensure that we create a safe
and supportive environment for all bandies, not to adjudicate in any way. In pursuit of this end,
we will prioritize the comfort of the survivor or victim, however they choose to identify.
Bored of the CUMB.

Bored of the CUMB?

I guess this probably was the best solution to deal with their CUMB problem.

Woo-Fu

incest on the subway
Jan 2, 2007
Does the marching band have a history of doing weird shit? What are the odds that this is a prank?
Being in a marching band itself is doing weird shit.

Thanks to the pandemic they weren't doing anything anyhow. So now they decided to make it a choice by saying, "I meant to do that." OK, precious.

Last edited:

Cunth

Fingerlickin' Good!
May 22, 2018
it will be great when wokies discover that education is built on white supremacy and all universities are closed down

• LOL
Reactions: DeepEnigma