• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Combat in Devil May Cry 5 feels very outdated

TGO

Hype Train conductor. Works harder than it steams.
No, some artist can truly evolve and make relevant contributions to their craft.
Look at God of War 2018.

Many musical artist can evolve and be relevant for their time.

But when you become stuck in the same ole same ole, then the only fans you're going to have are niche ones.
I don't know, most artists that try and be current and upto date by coping new artist kinda flop
The successful keep to their own unique sound and while not the exactly the same, the music and sound is unique to them like it was years ago..so not sure I agree with ya there.

Helios

Coming from someone that never played the new GoW, what do you think GoW does better than DMC?
You also compare it with Bloodborne and Nioh which have a different style of gameplay.

From the short demo you can tell there's gonna be a fantastic and varied moveset for SKILLED players. This is not button mashing or easy evade spamming to get you out of trouble.

There is also a strategic touch to it, in managing your weapons and what style you want to adopt. So many people nowadays don't even want to learn the controls in an action game.

There is life beyond Platinum games and Capcom knows their shit better than anyone in that department.

Shifty

Not only did the combat feel uneventful, the camera needs a lot of work.
How many times did you run through it? Enough to figure out the moves for each devil breaker and buy the core tools from the shop that open up extensive aerial combat options?

outdated for 2019.
Ah, I see. A vague feeling accompanied by lack of critical thought coalescing into a current-year argument. This happens a lot.

the camera angles and the combos etc feel like something that we experienced 2 gaming gens ago with near no meaningful combat innovation.
Well for one, this is the first time the core series has had an entirely free analog camera. It's a significant improvement over the digital one in 4 that mixed in fixed camera tracks.

So, innovation.
No, some artist can truly evolve and make relevant contributions to their craft.
Look at God of War 2018.

But when you become stuck in the same ole same ole, then the only fans you're going to have are niche ones.
Remember that time the Devil May Cry series had a reboot, and how well-received it was?

And how it buried the series for six years?

Yeah. Sometimes iteration is a better path to innovation than revolution.

Its like hearing an artist you've listed to in the 90s come out with something in 2019, trying to be current, but cannot help but sound exactly the same as decades ago.
You know those artists. Their music eventually becomes niche.
The real question is whether you can articulate your argument without using a loose analogy that doesn't actually hold up under scrutiny, as outlined by H Hobbesian

I don't want to play a PS2/PS3 version of Devil May Cry with a fresh coat of paint.
I have a gaming PC and can already replay those games any time I want to.
Bayonetta 3 won't feel like an outdated Bayonetta 1.
These arguments only hold up if accompanied by proof that DMCV is "a PS2/PS3 version with a fresh coat of paint" or "feels like an outdated DMC 1 / 3 / 4". You've made a lot of statements but not presented much reasoning.

We'll see how well this sells...
giphy.gif

Listen, why not take a mulligan on this thread, think about your case for why DMCV feels outdated, maybe make some notes, and come back with an opening post that has more than two lines of critique in it?
We could have an actual discussion that doesn't involve getting dunked on for your thread premise and argumentation. It'd be great!

Next episode on NeoGAF, user talk how lame is Sonic to use just one button. "Felt too much in the early 90's, and even then we have more than one button to use". Stay tunned.
Darling, I'm going to need someone to organize separate long hop and short hop buttons for Sonic. Tapping versus holding is so last year, you know?

giphy.gif

Devil May Cry has felt outdated ever since Ninja Gaiden
Pizza has felt outdated ever since Pork Buns.

SxprH.gif

Last edited:
Low-tier thread with a low-tier opinion from OP (no offense). These kind of threads remind me of my days lurking QQers and their shitpost threads. Outdated is a lazy complaint. Either you don't understand the philosophy behind the controls of hack and slash or you just haven't played enough hack and slash. Either way, you are entitled to your opinion and I'm entitled to mine.

What’s wrong with RE2R?

its not a proper reboot or remake of the franchise. if they want to remake games like that. then remake the games from the first. don't start at the second. make sure they all have the same exact things that make them what they are

why did we get an HD RE and then RE2R.

I tried out the demo today on PS4 and it bored the hell out of me.

You are entitled to your own opinion, but outdated or uneventful compared to what exactly? I played the demo on the Xbox one X actually and I can’t think of too many, if any action games (maybe Bayonetta 2?)from this generation that have a better or deeper combat engine than DMC5 and I played a lot of action games.

Last edited:

Dr. Claus

Vincit qui se vincit
its not a proper reboot or remake of the franchise. if they want to remake games like that. then remake the games from the first. don't start at the second. make sure they all have the same exact things that make them what they are

You do realize that they did completely remake the first Resident Evil right? It was on Gamecube and recently was ported to modern consoles alongside RE0. Ever since that day people wanted a remake of Resident Evil 2 and now they released one. They never started at the second.

Naked Lunch

In a world where shallow as shit combat exists in pretty much all current action games ala Assassin's Creed, God of War, Darksiders, Batman, etc - we are now bashing the one game that actually has depth, requires practice, allows creative improvisation, and takes flat out skill to master. If anything, DMC is coming back to show these other games how actual gameplay is done.

I see what you are saying, but RE1 already received 2 remakes. One on GameCube and an enhanced version of that Remake on PS4 and Xbox One. I don’t think RE1 needs yet another remake. Also, wasn’t RE Remake changed around somewhat from the original as well? Maybe not to the extent of RE2 Remake, but there were differences if I remember correctly.

You do realize that they did completely remake the first Resident Evil right? It was on Gamecube and recently was ported to modern consoles alongside RE0. Ever since that day people wanted a remake of Resident Evil 2 and now they released one. They never started at the second.

its not the same as the RE2R tho. they didn't modernize he gameplay for a triple A style these days

Last edited:

Dr. Claus

Vincit qui se vincit
its not the same as the RE2R tho. they didn't modernize he gameplay for a triple A style these days

Resident Evil (GameCube) and Resident Evil Zero released in 2002/2003. Resident Evil 4 (the "modern" game) didn't release until two years later in 2005. The game, for its time, was still the "modern" Resident Evil gameplay.

Ten_Fold

I wanted ps2 style dmc an that’s what I got, the game plays how I assumed it would. I wasn’t a god of war fan so I wasn’t a fan of the huge change but I respect it. I feel not all series need big changes also dmc has been gone a while, if or when we get a dmc 6 then I could expect change but I want that dragon’s dogma 2.

Viliger

Its like hearing an artist you've listed to in the 90s come out with something in 2019, trying to be current, but cannot help but sound exactly the same as decades ago.
I wish this was the case, most of the time bands that try to sound "hip and recent" became absolute shit. I listen to them because of their original music, not because of what currently "in".
In general, I feel like you have no actual criticism of the game, so you just throw you thoughts into this thread, that's why you actually don't reply to anyone. with anything concrete. In any case, if you think that DMC combat is outdated, provide us with the examples of games that are not outdated. Hint: people might laugh at you.
Look at God of War 2018.
Oh, you are just trolling. Okay, moving on.

Last edited:

Kamina

Golden Boy
Look at God of War 2018.

I comepletetely understand where you are coming from. DMC didnt evolve like many other games did. But look at it from this perspective: DmC was an experiment that disappointed many DMC fans, who never wanted such change, and in that Sense DMC5 delivers. So while you and some might wish for an evolution many others wish for it to be what we didn't get since DMC4 11 years ago.

Dacon

Banned
We've had more interesting combat from games like Bloodborne and I'm near 100% certain that Sekiro would be miles better in terms of gameplay.
But DMC5 feels very outdated to me.

Dude Bloodborne's combat is literally the same old souls formula that's been used since 2009 and you complain about DMC's combat being dated? This argument doesnt seem very credible.

Boss Mog

I get what OP is saying but I think it's mostly due to the fact that you don't have many moves in the demo. You have to unlock moves with the red orbs.

But still, even with lots of moves unlocked I do always feel combat in DMC is below that of Bayonetta or Nier Automata. I guess I really like the dodging mechanic in those games.

scalman

yh it looks outdated , like DMC 3 just with good graphics and effects. but gameplay , same old. jump slash shoot repeat. and graphics only look good in narrow streets, when you can look at more wider area it looks so bad rly
2019 graphics?
DyzE6dGW0AATQaE.jpg

Lanrutcon

I don't think DMC5 is going to sell well. I don't think this is a reflection on the game's quality or an indication of outdated mechanics.

Maguro

After people saying Resident Evil 1/2/3 fixed cameras angles feel "outdated" i couldn't care less about peoples opinion to be honest. Some people like old mechanics. If people say DMC combat system feels outdated that's a sign that i will enjoy it. Weird, huh

Maguro

God of War contributed to the craft of walking simulators.

But I'd rather play games instead.
Good, seems like i'm not the only one liking old GoW games more than the new now. Wouldn't call it a walking simulator but it's way overhyped.

Barnabot

Isn't too soon for hot takes on a game which wasn't even released yet... Just a demo? Remember that old saying: "If it ain't broke, don't fix it"?

Bamco learned that lesson with Ace Combat.

EDMIX

"its not a proper reboot or remake of the franchise. if they want to remake games like that. then remake the games from the first. don't start at the second." Huh? What does that actually have to do with the remake of 2 though? OH for it to be a real remake, it must start with 1?

Stand back folks, looks like this dude makes all the rules! lol

Airbus Jr

Banned
Reading some of the comments make me realize that I need to take a break from gaming website

It's getting too depressing around here

Last edited:
I also didn't like the demo that much and has killed my hype a little for DMCV but to be fair I always preferred Ninja Gaiden/Bayonetta combat way more.

Barnabot

After people saying Resident Evil 1/2/3 fixed cameras angles feel "outdated" i couldn't care less about peoples opinion to be honest. Some people like old mechanics. If people say DMC combat system feels outdated that's a sign that i will enjoy it. Weird, huh

Guess some people didn't learn some lessons from:

Megaman X7: by Capcom
Ace Combat Assault Horizon: by Bamco
Bomberman Act Zero: by Hudson

People already have their expectations with such already established games. So is not wise to touch the core elements of these established games just because some people "need to be impressed by something else". Maybe the game is not for you (anymore).

tkscz

We've had more interesting combat from games like Bloodborne and I'm near 100% certain that Sekiro would be miles better in terms of gameplay.
But DMC5 feels very outdated to me.

I thought you were comparing the combat to something like blood born. But that's like comparing Gran Turismo to Need for Speed, you're playing for two different styles. Games like DMC and Beyonetta are fast pace hack 'n' slash games whose combat focus on style over skill (but it does take skill to master). It's a cool factor, being more about spectacle and fun over being deep and intricate. It's not outdated, just not what you're looking for.

Mr Branding

Ok.
So you want RPG-lite mechanics and seamless exploration in DMC or what? Don't get me wrong, Gow was a great game but not everything needs to be the same. I've been waiting for a game like DMC V all gen long. Go play something else if this is not for you but stop being petty about it on the internet. It makes you look bad.

Hudo

Outdated compared to what? I haven't played the demo, so I have no opinion, but "outdated" is about the emptiest complaint someone can level against a game, right up there with "uninspired" and "problematic".
It's like whenever Gordon Ramsay critiques some food as being "bland". It's the most generic criticism there is.

As someone who didn't play the demo (there's no demo on PC...) isn't the combat basically an evolution of DMC4's? It looked like it from the footage I've seen so far. And that's not a bad thing in my mind. I am particularly interested in how V will feel to play, seeing that he is this "summoner" archetype.

I tried out the demo today on PS4 and it bored the hell out of me.

Also, I'm somewhat disappointed that PC didn't get a demo as well.
I wanted Dragon's Dogma 2. It's a waste of talent to focus on this old series.

Make a new action game. It's really old. It's a great game, but move on.

Graciaus

I'm replaying Bayonetta right now and all it's making me want to so is play dmc instead. Your complaints sound like what I want. No demo on pc but I can wait.

Airbus Jr

Banned
I wanted Dragon's Dogma 2. It's a waste of talent to focus on this old series.

Make a new action game. It's really old. It's a great game, but move on.

Nice try but Devil May Cry is still Capcom second most recognizable and best selling Ip after Resident Evil

weak attempt at trolling mate try harder next time:messenger_tongue:

Last edited:
DMC was also a niche repetitive beat up series that got a fad boost on the PS2 so it sold more than most others. The while point of these games is repetitious combat but some gamers like that style.

But Even then you use vague terms to describe the demo. Can you explain what you mean by uneventful? If this isn't your type of game I can see the dislike for it but your OP has zero detail.

Nice try but Devil May Cry is still Capcom second most recognizable and best selling Ip after Resident Evil

weak attempt at trolling mate try harder next time:messenger_tongue:

I can't tell if this post is a troll, but just in case DMC is actually below Mega Man so it's pretty low on the Capcom totem.

Hotspurr

Banned
In a time where we have games like nier automata, nioh, bloodborne, Bayonetta 2 and even God of War, what I experienced with the DMC5 demo left me wanting more innovation and evolution.

Nier Automata has a cool world and story structure. The combat is about as trivial and button mashy as it gets.

NiOh has nice combat, but it's repetitive as hell and the combat strategy for each enemy is very similar. Ninja gaiden craps all over this game same devs).

Bloodborne is a faster souls. Again, it's not much of a character action game, but a good game nonetheless.

Bayonetta 2 is a carbon copy of 1. In fact I probably liked 1 more due to the novelty effect.

God of War is an embarrassment to anyone who played the GoW series for the combat. To me this was clearly evident when you get the blades, they just made the game go from a walking simulator to an action game.

Now as to your point. DMC5 is indeed an evolution of the genre rather than a revolution. The emphasis is on new weapons, mechanics, and playstyles. They wanted to keep the core the same and build on it. Dante looks nearly identical, but with crazier weapons. Nero has the breaker system, which is very innovative, lots of risk/reward and planning required. And V, this is completely new and innovative, where you control different beasts. Each character offers a vastly different playstyle. So for most people, there is plenty of novelty and innovation.

As for the demo, it was extremely limited. Maybe it's not that DMC5 is bad, maybe it's just a bad demo. It seems to me many people want their games more cinematic, and as a result, games like GoW with the stupid camera placement butchered the combat system. The majority of DMC games who appreciate the game for the combat system, want to keep it very similar. Why try to break a successful formula?

My suggestion is wait to see high level play before you (personally) get the game. If you care more about cinema or walking simulators, this may not be your cup of tea.

Last edited:

Airbus Jr

Banned
I can't tell if this post is a troll, but just in case DMC is actually below Mega Man so it's pretty low on the Capcom totem.

pretty low on Capcom totem? haha seriously how old are you ?

Megaman havent been relevant for ages, when is the last time you play a brand new megaman game made by Capcom?

Cant people just celebrate DMC here? Since this is the game people asking for years ?

Last edited:

Ogbert

It's just another DMC game, no more, no less.

Camera is pretty crappy though. Bayonetta does a far better job with that.

Top Bottom