• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Combat in Devil May Cry 5 feels very outdated

Quezacolt

DmC came out in 2013. Itsuno worked on it also. He also loves the game. He also modeled all the current characters and art style after that game.

It's a real DMC game. Jesus Christ.
Sorry, but to me, that thing is a spin-off, one that i never want to see again. For each thing they did right, they did 10 wrong. I'ts an ok action game, with some stupid limitations with the combat, but everything else about it is inferior to the previous games (not counting DMC2)

v1oz

We've had more interesting combat from games like Bloodborne and I'm near 100% certain that Sekiro would be miles better in terms of gameplay.
But DMC5 feels very outdated to me.
Not tried the demo yet. But DMC is a different type of action game compared to GOW, Bloodborne or any of the games you compared it to. It’s an action game in the style of Bayonetta and Ninja Gaiden. Maybe it’s just the genre you don’t like.

decisions

This is certainly my most anticipated game of the year, possibly the entire generation.

The demo felt great to me and it was wonderful to experience the joy of character action once again after so long a drought. I played the demo a few times to unlock all the abilities and then went online to find my playstyle was nowhere near as comprehensive of the demo toolset as I thought. I can't wait to jump back in and experiment with some more stuff I've seen (involving Punchline especially) once I have the time.

And these aren't even all of Nero's breakers. Man I'm so excited for the game.

KINDERFELD

Banned
Apologies guys.
For some strange and stupid reason auto assist was on the entire time.

Now with it off it feels more like what I expected.

Again, I humbly apologize.

I was thinking the entire time, "wtf is up with this dial a combo game?"

Pretty funny way to end the thread arguement after all that build up. Especially after 'the controls' had nothing to do with like 50% of the arguements going on.

Last edited:

Hobbesian

Banned
Pretty funny way to end the thread arguement after all that build up. Especially after 'the controls' had nothing to do with like 50% of the arguements going on.
All that matters is that he's willing to give the game another chance. It's just the type of game that doesn't make a great impression beyond its graphics on one play through of a kind of bad demo. Even I didn't enjoy my first play through that much.

MDSLKTR

Haters:
590.jpg

Neolombax

Cmon man, dont give in. Argue moar!

Seriously though, I just take it that you don't feel the game is exciting. Opinions man.

I can't play Devil May Cry because the enemies are so boring and the environments are usually quite dull with slow movement speed. At least now they have a sprint option, but it's the same punching bag enemies.

It's like Resident Evil 6 syndrome? There were those saying RE6 was the best in the series at one time, usually people playing the mercenaries mode with all the flashy moves you can do. The problem is those flashy options provide nothing for the gameplay when underneath it's all rubbish. Now I know things will change as you progress, there'll be tough humanoid boss fights and enemies, but goddamn they need something that is stimulating right from the start.

The thing about Bayonetta is it had the bullet time gimmick that makes it "fair" for enemies to attack you and Ninja Gaiden is well, Ninja Gaiden. Personally never played through all of NG because I want to play it on my PC, but I'm pretty sure it's an interesting game.

Things aren't looking good. I should be interested in this title.

scalman

Dmc fans will love it. But i was dmc fan back in dmc3 times. Time pass and we get only better graphics thats cheap for my taste. We could have open world dmc with new mechanics which could involve physics weight to weapons and bodies. But then maybe they new engine can only handle narrow streets and coridors of re2. Shame

Razzorn34

Dmc fans will love it. But i was dmc fan back in dmc3 times. Time pass and we get only better graphics thats cheap for my taste. We could have open world dmc with new mechanics which could involve physics weight to weapons and bodies. But then maybe they new engine can only handle narrow streets and coridors of re2. Shame

Oh god. Once again, every game doesn't need to be bastardized by open world or realism. Pretty sure that is the last thing I would want for this series.

scalman

Well as i see it time defines games then was that time and now we can have all whats best from dmc but made it into new shell, new form. Ok no open world but more open city more physics more damage as per weight and such. We can have all thats fun from dmc but in new next gen style. But if just graphics makes money then why even bother i guess.

scalman

In ps2 times it was wow factor all that was in game was wow. Now it looks cheap for this gen capabilitys. I played demo and i just smashed 2 -3 buttons all time until boss. Nothing fun was there just dull and boring. But then im old allready hehe.
Then again im original dmc fan back from days and this is meh now. Went to play division 2 beta.

Last edited:

kevin_trinh

I can't play Devil May Cry because the enemies are so boring and the environments are usually quite dull with slow movement speed. At least now they have a sprint option, but it's the same punching bag enemies.

It's like Resident Evil 6 syndrome? There were those saying RE6 was the best in the series at one time, usually people playing the mercenaries mode with all the flashy moves you can do. The problem is those flashy options provide nothing for the gameplay when underneath it's all rubbish. Now I know things will change as you progress, there'll be tough humanoid boss fights and enemies, but goddamn they need something that is stimulating right from the start.

The thing about Bayonetta is it had the bullet time gimmick that makes it "fair" for enemies to attack you and Ninja Gaiden is well, Ninja Gaiden. Personally never played through all of NG because I want to play it on my PC, but I'm pretty sure it's an interesting game.

Things aren't looking good. I should be interested in this title.
Ennemy AI in NG is on a different level, they also have variety of option to attack player from any distance. While on DMC, most of the enemy just staying on the ground and smile at you while you are doing air combo

Airbus Jr

Banned
Turn DMC into open world game? What the heck?

Moment like this makes me glad developers don't always listened to fans request

scalman

Open world could still mean you runing in street. So same thing same look just you have more streets and in diff streets diff enemies. So its still streets but you have many them dont need to load next street to see it.
So from view it could look same ad play same but be open world or open city if you like. It could still feel same but be better like with fights inside houses too. Its not like you make it into witcher.

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius
In ps2 times it was wow factor all that was in game was wow. Now it looks cheap for this gen capabilitys. I played demo and i just smashed 2 -3 buttons all time until boss. Nothing fun was there just dull and boring. But then im old allready hehe.
Then again im original dmc fan back from days and this is meh now. Went to play division 2 beta.

To be fair, it is like saying “I can reach a track’s finishing line in Forza by barely touching one trigger button and a stick... crappy gameplay”. The point is also how you reach the goal in some games.

Same thing in DMC, you can have fun with the flashy stuff and campy story and great spectacle... then you can try to get an S rank or better to show your skills off and I bet you will not be able to do that by just mashing buttons unless you are a super humble SMC playing god...

Last edited:

Viliger

DmC came out in 2013. Itsuno worked on it also. He also loves the game. He also modeled all the current characters and art style after that game.

It's a real DMC game. Jesus Christ.
It's called being polite AND being a part of a corporation. There is no way he is going or even allowed to shit on the game that he helped made (more like tried to fix what Ninja Theory has done).
So you went from "2-3 button game" to 1 button game. Amazing.

yurinka

I think the demo is too short and start with very little amount of movements and attacks to give you a proper idea about the combat in the game.

But even being that limited I noticed potential there, and saw some awesome combo videos made with it.

Wonko_C

Who is saying this game won't have seamless levels? As RE7 and RE2 show, the engine is capable of it. The demo just wanted to show parts of different areas so it just cuts and loads the next one. Even DmC did away with loading "doors" last gen.

Last edited:

Mr Branding

Who is saying this game won't have seamless levels? As RE7 and RE2 show, the engine is capable of it. The demo just wanted to show parts of different areas so it just cuts and loads the next one. Even DmC did away with loading "doors" last gen.

Game is confirmed to be level based. That's a good thing in my opinion since everything is "seamless" nowadays.

Wonko_C

Game is confirmed to be level based. That's a good thing in my opinion since everything is "seamless" nowadays.

What I meant is that the levels aren't going to be cut into small "rooms" that have black screens to load the next room like in the old DMC games. It wouldn't be a DMC game if there weren't those stage clear screens where you get ranked depending on your performance. (and those screens must be transitioned into like a window being shattered by multiple shots when the level ends. That never gets old).

Last edited:
Hey guys, for once in a long time I'm considering pre-ordering the deluxe edition so I have one question: do we have infos or rumours on wether addition cut-content, micro-transaction, DLC and such bullshit is planned for DMC5?

I might just get the normal version and upgrade later, but I want to know if the price is worth it knowing it'll be incomplete.

Helios

Hey guys, for once in a long time I'm considering pre-ordering the deluxe edition so I have one question: do we have infos or rumours on wether addition cut-content, micro-transaction, DLC and such bullshit is planned for DMC5?

I might just get the normal version and upgrade later, but I want to know if the price is worth it knowing it'll be incomplete.
They stated on twitter that the only planned DLC is the Bloody Palace which will release later but it's completely free. As for micro-transactions I think you can pay to get red orbs.

boutrosinit

Street Fighter IV World Champion
Brother - seems like you're just over the DMC style of combat. There's many who want it. Good thing there's more variety in the hack n slash genre now to keep you appeased. Sounds like DMC5 won't be a place for you to play.

Belmonte

It is kind of silly but anyone knows if I can not download the extra orbs you get when you buy the deluxe edition on pre order?

They stated on twitter that the only planned DLC is the Bloody Palace which will release later but it's completely free. As for micro-transactions I think you can pay to get red orbs.

Source? Also the red orbs micro-transactions make me think that the game is artificially grindy or will indeed have a unlockables updates with lots of red orbs to get...so not sure.

Helios

Last edited:

Sygma

We've had more interesting combat from games like Bloodborne and I'm near 100% certain that Sekiro would be miles better in terms of gameplay.
But DMC5 feels very outdated to me.

just drop it, Bloodborne isnt nearly as mechanically demanding on any front as any DMC game to begin with, especially when you play them at the highest difficulty / have to juggle with so many different elements to maintain SSS ranking. Even Bayonetta 1 is miles ahead of any from software game

Last edited:

Arachnid

Imagine if someone said this about God of War. A hack and slash becoming a sandbox has precedence so it's not necessarily a bad idea.

Anyway, idk yet. I loved DMC 1-4, but hated DmC so I'm not a fan of this one taking cues from it. It'll be in the "wait and see" category for me

Spukc

always chasing the next thrill
Imagine if someone said this about God of War. A hack and slash becoming a sandbox has precedence so it's not necessarily a bad idea.

Anyway, idk yet. I loved DMC 1-4, but hated DmC so I'm not a fan of this one taking cues from it. It'll be in the "wait and see" category for me
god of war is NOT an open world game.
if you need to refresh your memory what an open world is play zelda botw

Arachnid

god of war is NOT an open world game.
if you need to refresh your memory what an open world is play zelda botw
It IS a sandboxie kind of game though, complete with backtracking and collectables around open areas (similar to Dark Souls and Bloodborne games). I'm 90% sure that's exactly what's being referred by whoever you were replying to when they say "open world". We both know they aren't referring to a GTA or Witcher style DMC game.

And I just finished 100% everything with BoTW other than the korok seeds. My god, what a phenomenal game.

Spukc

always chasing the next thrill
It IS a sandboxie kind of game though, complete with backtracking and collectables around open areas (similar to Dark Souls and Bloodborne games). I'm 90% sure that's exactly what's being referred by whoever you were replying to when they say "open world". We both know they aren't referring to a GTA or Witcher style DMC game.

And I just finished 100% everything with BoTW other than the korok seeds. My god, what a phenomenal game.
it is as an open world as metroid prime.
mind you that i am not hating on gow i am just correcting.

Meted

People seem to forget that Dragons dogma and more recently nier automata were the closest thing to an open world dmc and they are both great games. I would like to see a true dmc game made for open world, so long as it didnt sacrifice anything that makes DMC combat what it is

GOW is a semi-open world (if that term exists) like Tomb Raider or Nier Automata. You have a main quest, some side quests and you can move freely across the map. In DMC or Bayonetta you are restricted to an area and you get grades after each mission. Those are completely different formulas. In fact, DMC specially is designed so that players repeat missions in order to get more orbs and fully maximize the character. It is impossible to get all the upgrades in a single run (far from it). This is pretty obvious in DMD difficulty.

Anyway, 4 days to go.

Ka-Kui

You can't turn DMC open world. Part of the formula is you're supposed to be trapped in close quarters combat at times.

I mean, that's a huge lesson learnt from DMC2's mistakes... have we just regressed?

Arachnid

Not sure I have the same definition of a sandbox game.
Maybe not sandbox since that entails more freedom in activities but people have argued about this exact topic in regards to Dark Souls and Bloodborne a thousand times too. I'll go with semi-open world like Megalodon. Arguing semantics and genre definitions misses actual debate, which is over the idea of DMC becoming a game similar to those with complex branching paths and level design. IMO that would be pretty great. The linear and boring level design they've always followed is outdated IMO

I just played the demo. Game looks great and I love the setting but why oh why is dodging such a ball ache?!

Surely a proper dodge button is required...seems like Action Fighting Game 101.

Shifty

Even the haters can't help but get in on the pre-launch hype. Why else would they resurrect this legendary thread?

I just played the demo. Game looks great and I love the setting but why oh why is dodging such a ball ache?!

Surely a proper dodge button is required...seems like Action Fighting Game 101.
The jump button is the dodge button, always has been. It has iframes on it.

Though they've done some work on the side rolls this time around.

dmcv looks like ass
your post looks like ass

Last edited:
Top Bottom