• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Combat in Devil May Cry 5 feels very outdated

Enjay

Banned
I'm not saying I want this game to fail but some fans have made me understand why someone would want it to.

Kamina

Golden Boy
Been playing for a few hours now. Combat feels as good as ever. V brings some fresh wind into the formula. Cant wait to try Dante.

Iorv3th

Dmc fans will love it. But i was dmc fan back in dmc3 times. Time pass and we get only better graphics thats cheap for my taste. We could have open world dmc with new mechanics which could involve physics weight to weapons and bodies. But then maybe they new engine can only handle narrow streets and coridors of re2. Shame

Yeah maybe they could do a battle royal open world DMC game and get with the times, where is the innovation. Cmon Capcom.

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
Dmc fans will love it. But i was dmc fan back in dmc3 times. Time pass and we get only better graphics thats cheap for my taste. We could have open world dmc with new mechanics which could involve physics weight to weapons and bodies. But then maybe they new engine can only handle narrow streets and coridors of re2. Shame
For fuck sake, do we need open world in every fucking game!!? Don't we have enough open world already? No thank you, I can enjoy open world but I personally prefer more focus level designs in my games.

Last edited:
For fuck sake, do we need open world in every fucking game!!? Don't we have enough open world already? No thank you, I can enjoy open world but I personally prefer more focus level designs in my games.

I just prefer good games. Linear level design does not guarantee quality, nor does open world design guarantee boredom/uninspired finish.

Just my opinion

Danjin44

I just prefer good games. Linear level design does not guarantee quality, nor does open world design guarantee boredom/uninspired finish.

Just my opinion
Both open world and linear games has it own advantages and disadvantages and some series are just not suited for open world and DMC in one of those games.

Shifty

Both open world and linear games has it own advantages and disadvantages and some series are just not suited for open world and DMC in one of those games.
Pretty much. NieR proves you can do character actiony combat in an open world / ocarina of time kind of context, but it's not DMC.

If anything, people should be calling for some new IP that takes the idea of tightly-balanced character action (without RPG elements and the like) and executes on it with an open world. I'd be down to see that, but I don't want a formula that's already good to be sacrificed for the sake of it.

Last edited:

Spukc

always chasing the next thrill
word.
why not fucking force a battle royale mode in it when we are at it ?

Tiamat2san

It hasn't evolved in any meaningful way to continue to hold my interest in 2019.
feels like an old game with a fresh coat of paint on it and though some may love that formula, God of War has shown that taking chances and evolving your series can be extremely rewarding.
I don’t understand the comparison with god of war.
DMC is very technical game from the gameplay side.
You need to learn and practice a lot to master it.
It’s like a fighting game, you can play it casually and do cool stuff , eventually you’ll get bored.
OR you can practice a lot and learn how the combo system works and it’s another game.
You’ll improve and become a SSSuper SSSkilled combo master.

Pretty much. NieR proves you can do character actiony combat in an open world / ocarina of time kind of context, but it's not DMC.

If anything, people should be calling for some new IP that takes the idea of tightly-balanced character action (without RPG elements and the like) and executes on it with an open world. I'd be down to see that, but I don't want a formula that's already good to be sacrificed for the sake of it.

I think any franchise can be done in any style, if developed properly.

Handcuffing things to some stigma with “linear design” or “open world” tabs is shortsighted, in my opinion.

Don’t dogpile me now. You’re a gamer, Danjin is a gamer, I’m a gamer too, it just so happens that I disagree with you.

First rhyme is free.

No need to weaponize likes, meow

Last edited:
Even the haters can't help but get in on the pre-launch hype. Why else would they resurrect this legendary thread?

The jump button is the dodge button, always has been. It has iframes on it.

Though they've done some work on the side rolls this time around.

your post looks like ass

Aah. Thought I was missing something! Thanks for the heads up. Just tried the boss again and had a much easier time!

Probably going to get this now.

Shifty

I think any franchise can be done in any style, if developed properly.

Handcuffing things to some stigma with “linear design” or “open world” tabs is shortsighted, in my opinion.
If we take God of War as an example then sure, a series can take on a new direction and execute on it to a degree where it actually exceeds its progenitors.
I'd say there's an argument to be made for that series' older mechanics having run their course after having been refined through 1-3, whereas DMC has struggled with having a 'definitive' version of its existing core since 3SE came out back in '05.
(I guess that also opens up the counterpoint of 'well maybe that's where they should have pivoted' as well, but then we never would have gotten style switching.)

I guess my issue with the notion of rebooting something to be substantially different is the blurring or loss of its identity.
In a lot of cases it's a marketing tactic to get an existing captive market to play the new thing because of trust in an established brand rather than an actual need to replace the old thing.
There are of course other valid reasons to do so, but more often than not I'm of the mind that launching a new IP is better than fiddling with an existing one in order to be risk-averse.

Don’t dogpile me now. You’re a gamer, Danjin is a gamer, I’m a gamer too, it just so happens that I disagree with you.
Disagreeing is fine, it's the seeds of a discussion. Not being at eachothers' throats despite that is the key :messenger_relieved:

First rhyme is free.

No need to weaponize likes, meow
daffy-duck-sees-terry-bogard-while-playing-space-jam-are-6491672.png

Aah. Thought I was missing something! Thanks for the heads up. Just tried the boss again and had a much easier time!

Probably going to get this now.
No worries. For whatever reason it's not a mechanic the series has ever explained to the player, which has probably led a fair few people to bounce off of it based on first impressions.

Last edited:

manfestival

just played the demo and the combat really does feel dated. I am pretty concerned about the final product. I know people defend it tooth and nail but... not like this...

slade

Got the preload up on Steam and started DMC4 in anticipation. Also have Sekiro ordered but I hope it is more of a proper action game then yet another From Software, 'poke... dash,' clone. I've had about all I can stand of that genre with Nioh.

Kamina

Golden Boy
just played the demo and the combat really does feel dated. I am pretty concerned about the final product. I know people defend it tooth and nail but... not like this...
Automatic Mode is turned on by default.
Also, what is “dated”?

Got the preload up on Steam and started DMC4 in anticipation. Also have Sekiro ordered but I hope it is more of a proper action game then yet another From Software, 'poke... dash,' clone. I've had about all I can stand of that genre with Nioh.

No weapon variety and no level up stat changes apparently.

Anasta

Neo Member
Outdated?! On the contrary, the game feels as fresh as the new Dante's looks! There are new mechanics, like the entire V's playstyle, and there are the good ol' Dante's manoeuvers from DMC3! And then there's a mix between the past and now that Nero resembles. I've played through the Demo and I've had the pleasure to witness a bit more... Once the game is out, your words will melt into a blob. Cheers!

If any1's interested, I'm a blogger and I've recently written a short on what to expect from the upcoming DMC5. It's tomorrow! <3

The Bloggity Blog

Last edited:

Lanrutcon

IS dmc5 is consider outdated, what IS consider indated?

I think people want a more modern approach, taking staples from recent games and incorporating them. iFrame dodge rolls, full camera lock on, blocks, parries, finishers, whatever. I'm guessing these are the same people that wanted RE2:R to have a dodge button.

Viliger

People who bring Automata into DMC discussion can't see the depth behind the flash.

Last edited:

Shifty

People who bring Automata into DMC discussion can't see the depth behind the flash.
That comparison is always baffling. As much as I like NieR, the fact that you can level up to the point of oneshotting the local trash mobs makes the flashy Platinum combat feel redundant after a point.

Danjin44

That comparison is always baffling. As much as I like NieR, the fact that you can level up to the point of oneshotting the local trash mobs makes the flashy Platinum combat feel redundant after a point.
NieR Automata is an action RPG just like original NIER and even original Drakengard. Platinum added their own twist to it but Automata’s core combat is upgrade version of original NIER and Drakengard 3 combat system. You can’t really compare Automata ARPG combat to combat in actual hack&slash games like DMC and Bayonetta.

NXGamer

Been playing for a few hours now. Combat feels as good as ever. V brings some fresh wind into the formula. Cant wait to try Dante.
Dante is da bomb, once you get to him it feels familiar and new all at once. I love how different they all are and you need to play very differently. I am loving the game and I am already on another run through it, superb and could be the pinnacle of the series. It feels so Japanese in design, style, costumes and crazyness an unmistakable DMC game.
My hope for DMC5 is that we can feel one different combat system for each pg.
Your hope is truth I can confirm.

Last edited:
I think people want a more modern approach, taking staples from recent games and incorporating them. iFrame dodge rolls, full camera lock on, blocks, parries, finishers, whatever. I'm guessing these are the same people that wanted RE2:R to have a dodge button.
You meant something like Bayonetta?

Shifty

NieR Automata is an action RPG just like original NIER and even original Drakengard. Platinum added their own twist to it but Automata’s core combat is upgrade version of original NIER and Drakengard 3 combat system.
Insofar as the magic and focus on bullet hell, yeah, but the melee stuff is notably Platinum down to having chips for witch time and bayonetta parries. NieR 1's sword swinging stuff was a lot more stilted and stiff, though I can't speak for the combat in Drakengard 3.

You can’t really compare Automata ARPG combat to combat in actual hack&slash games like DMC and Bayonetta.
I dunno, I think the fundamentals are similar enough that you could theoretically build a character action title out of the NieR moveset. The notable difference, for me at least, is the RPG stats / leveling / customization side of things.

There's more juggle tech to be had with stuff like the wire ability too. I suppose the game not forcing you to dig in for that is another staple of its ARPG-ness.

But DMC has all of these things already :messenger_confused:

Last edited:

Enjay

Banned
NieR Automata is an action RPG just like original NIER and even original Drakengard. Platinum added their own twist to it but Automata’s core combat is upgrade version of original NIER and Drakengard 3 combat system. You can’t really compare Automata ARPG combat to combat in actual hack&slash games like DMC and Bayonetta.
Bayonetta and Nier are practically the same game. Same controls same combat engine.

Danjin44

Bayonetta and Nier are practically the same game. Same controls same combat engine.
I would say they have lot of similarities but Automata has pods that act as magic system similar to grimoire weiss in original NIER. In Drakengard 3 you can also switch between weapons in middle of the combat but its much, much slower than Automata.

#Phonepunk#

Banned
Is this good? Just watched Tim Rogers review and tempted to get it for PC.

Tbh it looked kinda like Bayonetta, which I love. Only ever played a bit of old DMC not sure which one but the intro was the funniest thing. Are the cutscenes still overboard and ridiculous? I hope so.

Top Bottom