• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Comic Book Day! - 02/16/11. The Next Dimension; Big Bad Momma; Ice Cream and Chips.

Status
Not open for further replies.
cbd_02162011.jpg

cbd_header02-1.png

Here is this week's Diamond Comics Shipping List for: Wednesday, February 16th 2011:

cbd_header03.png

Shipping This Week: DC Comics / Vertigo Comics / Wildstorm Comics

Spotlight On:
DEC100296 FABLES #102 (MR) $2.99

Pa3vg.jpg

This issue begins a 5-part story called "Super Group!" Now why, oh why, in this crazy mixed-up world would we saddle an important funny-book series that has, in 100 issues so far, never had anything to do with Super Heroes with a title like that? And why has snotty little Pinocchio suddenly got it into his head that he needs to design tight-fitting costumes for a carefully selected small team of Fables? In fact, why was the little brat caught looking over his own comic book collection, mumbling things like, "We can call him Werewolf Man, and he can be the Golden Knight, and she can be called The Green Witch?"

To quote master Fables illustrator Mark Buckingham: "What the bloody [censored] is going on here?" By Willingham, Buckingham, Leialoha and Ruas.

037Ey.jpg

wL46Z.jpg

DEC100196 BATMAN #707 $2.99
DEC100230 BOOSTER GOLD #41 $2.99
DEC100170 BRIGHTEST DAY #20 $2.99
DEC100167 DC UNIVERSE ONLINE LEGENDS #2 $2.99
DEC100231 DOOM PATROL #19 $2.99
NOV100188 GREEN LANTERN #62 (BRIGHTEST DAY) $2.99
DEC100176 GREEN LANTERN CORPS #57 (BRIGHTEST DAY) $2.99
DEC100221 JUSTICE LEAGUE OF AMERICA #54 $2.99
DEC100229 LEGION OF SUPER HEROES #10 $2.99
DEC100214 SUPERGIRL #61 $2.99

cbd_header04.png

Shipping This Week: Marvel Comics

Spotlight On:
DEC100598 SHIELD #6 $2.99

mCCqx.jpg

THE FINALE TO THE FIRST VOLUME OF S.H.I.E.L.D.!

This chapter comes to a close in a fashion that will have your jaw on the floor. It is Da Vinci vs. Newton with the fate of the world in the balance. Who is the Night Machine on the side of? What role will the Celestial Child play? The most talked about book of 2010 closes its first volume with a bang. But don’t worry, the same team will be back soon with volume 2! By Hickman, Weaver, Strain and Parel.

MUxTQ.jpg

08r02.jpg

DEC100573 AMAZING SPIDER-MAN #654.1 $2.99
DEC100549 AVENGERS ACADEMY #9 $2.99
DEC100590 DAREDEVIL REBORN #2 (OF 4) $3.99
DEC100593 HAWKEYE: BLIND SPOT #1 (OF 4) $2.99
DEC100628 MARVEL GIRL #1 $2.99
DEC100604 SILVER SURFER #1 (OF 5) $2.99
DEC100601 THUNDERBOLTS #153 $2.99
DEC100621 UNCANNY X-FORCE #5 $3.99
DEC100613 WOLVERINE #6 $3.99
DEC100614 WOLVERINE & JUBILEE #2 (OF 4) $2.99

cbd_header05.png

Shipping This Week: Image Comics / Top Cow Productions

Spotlight On:
DEC100438 CAPTAIN WONDER 3D ONE-SHOT $4.99

uvz6q.jpg

Captain Wonder is the superhero of this world—he’s saved millions during his twenty-four year career. But now everything is going to Hell in a hand basket. You see, Captain Wonder has been missing for the last two months, and things don’t look so good. Now meet Billy Gordon, ten years old and it seems someone is stalking him. What’s going on? Featuring the creative duo of Brian (Witchblade, Spawn, Aria) Haberlin and Philip (Green Lantern, X-Men, Spawn) Tan.

THE MOST ADVANCED 3D EVER IN PRINT - INCLUDES SPECIAL 3D GLASSES!

VKLLb.jpg

SEP100535 MAGDALENA (ONGOING) #5 $3.99
DEC100482 MARINEMAN #3 $3.99
DEC100483 MEMOIR #2 (OF 6) $3.50
DEC100488 PROOF ENDANGERED #3 $3.99
DEC100526 TWILIGHT GUARDIAN #2 (OF 4) $3.99

cbd_header06.png

Shipping This Week: Dark Horse Comics

Spotlight On:
DEC100066 MIGHTY SAMSON #2 $3.50

08Jwu.jpg

Five hundred years after the end of the world, mutated monsters prowl the desolate wilds, and savage marauders from the wastelands of Jerz scourge the helpless N'Yark tribe.

Samson, the strongest man on Earth, defender of the N'Yark, singlehandedly invades the forbidding fortress of Terra, Queen of the Jerz. Ten thousand hardened Jerz warriors swarm to her defense. The odds for survival look grim. If only the Jerz had more warriors!

Mighty Samson returns to comics, reimagined by legendary writer Jim Shooter and illustrated by Patrick Olliffe (Untold Tales of Spider--Man, Spider--Girl, 52).

SJ5Qo.jpg

DEC100063 LET ME IN CROSSROADS #3 (OF 4) $3.99
AUG100022 MAGNUS ROBOT FIGHTER #3 (OF 4) $3.50
DEC100073 MASS EFFECT EVOLUTION #2 (OF 4) $3.50
DEC100069 STAR WARS KNIGHT ERRANT #5 (OF 5) AFLAME $2.99

cbd_header07-1.png

Shipping This Week: IDW Publishing

Spotlight On:
DEC100389 DUNGEONS AND DRAGONS #4 $3.99

QJMiq.jpg

The penultimate chapter of Shadowplague! The danger grows as Fell’s Five descend deeper and deeper into the dwarven ruins. Join us as John Rogers and Andrea Di Vito forge ahead with their thrilling adventures of swords and sorcery.

lm8tg.jpg

DEC100380 ANGEL #42 $3.99
DEC100400 EDGE OF DOOM #4 $3.99
NOV100387 SILENT HILL PAST LIFE #4 (OF 4) $3.99
DEC100412 THE SUICIDE FOREST #3 (OF 4) $3.99
DEC100340 TRANSFORMERS INFESTATION #2 (OF 2) $3.99

cbd_header08-1.png

Shipping This Week: Antarctic Press / Aspen Comics / Avatar Press / Boom! Studios / Dynamite Entertainment / Fantagraphics / Oni Press / Radical Publishing / UDON Entertainment / Zenescope

Spotlight On:
DEC100864 GARTH ENNIS JENNIFER BLOOD #1 (MR) $3.99

CLKta.jpg

Jennifer Blood is a suburban wife and mom by day, and a ruthless vigilante by night! Every day she makes breakfast, takes the kids to school, cleans the house, naps for an hour or two, makes dinner, puts the kids to bed, and kisses her husband goodnight. This suburban “punisher” is ready to be unleashed in a story that can only be told by the legendary Garth Ennis and artist Adriano Batista in this amazing 40 page first issue!

First issue will include additional bonus material, sketches, and interview with Garth Ennis!

BaIep.jpg

lsmqx.jpg

OCT100837 10TH MUSE VS LEGEND OF ISIS #1 (OF 2) $3.99
DEC100804 28 DAYS LATER #20 $3.99
DEC100869 BOYS #51 (MR) $3.99
DEC100715 CAVEWOMAN HUNT #2 (MR) PI
DEC100734 CYCLOPS #4 (MR) $3.95
MAR100721 FATHOM BLUE DESCENT #2 $2.99
SEP100943 GREEN HORNET YEAR ONE #8 $3.99
SEP101212 GRIMM FAIRY TALES #55 $2.99
DEC100824 STAN LEE SOLDIER ZERO #5 $3.99
NOV100855 VAMPIRELLA #3 $3.99

cbd_header09.png

Shipping This Week: Dark Horse / Bandai / Del Rey / Digital Manga Publishing / Tokyopop / Viz / Yen Press

Spotlight On:
NOV101100 LAON GN VOL 04 $11.99

Plb4x.jpg

Laon is a nine-tailed fox who's been a bit too mischievous in heaven. The consequence for his behavior? His ears and tails - which hold the key to his supernatural abilities - are removed, and he's banished to Earth! Now with the help of a reporter, Laon is on a mission to track down his missing appendages. But judging by his behavior, he may not have reformed his mischievous ways!

G3hLk.jpg

DEC100983 SEEKERS KALLIKS ADVENTURE GN VOL 01 $6.99
NOV101068 SHONEN JUMP MARCH 2011 $4.99

cbd_header10-1.png

Shipping This Week: Archie Comics / DC Kids / Marvel Kids / Bongo Comics / Boom! Studios / Kids' Comics / Electric Milk

Spotlight On:
DEC100274 TINY TITANS #37 $2.99

386ON.jpg

It's a Shazam Family super special! Mary Batson makes her way to the tree house for a Pet Club meeting with her adorable talking tiger! That's right! A big, talking tiger named Tawky Tawny who wears a suit and tie and a pair of glasses! Guest-starring Freddie, Hoppy and Billy, too! By Baltazar and Franco.

HuVaa.jpg

YB4cc.jpg

DEC100285 RATCHET AND CLANK #6 (OF 6) $2.99
DEC100270 YOUNG JUSTICE #1 $2.99
DEC100739 ARCHIE & FRIENDS #152 $2.99
NOV100730 ARCHIE NEW LOOK SERIES TP VOL 05 GOODBYE FOREVER $10.95
DEC100742 BETTY & VERONICA DOUBLE DIGEST #188 $3.99
DEC100832 DARKWING DUCK #9 $3.99
DEC100834 DONALD DUCK #363 $3.99
DEC100836 INCREDIBLES TP VOL 05 TRUTH & CONSEQUENCES $9.99
DEC100841 MICKEY MOUSE #305 $3.99
DEC100750 SONIC UNIVERSE #25 $2.99

cbd_header11.png

Spotlight On:
OCT100041 FINDER GN VOL 01 VOICE $19.99

dmqJ5.jpg

What you find isn't nearly as important as what finds you . . .

Since 1996, Finder has set the bar for science-fiction storytelling, with a lush, intricate world and compelling characters. Now, Carla Speed McNeil's Eisner Award-winning series comes to Dark Horse with the original graphic novel Voice.

In a society defined by its intricate network of clans, Rachel Grosvenor has grown up an outcast, straddling worlds. Now, her quest for admission to a highly exclusive clan sends Rachel spiraling into the dark underbelly of Anvard and a paradox that holds the key to her future: How do you find a Finder?

* Rising star Carla Speed McNeil has been nominated for seventeen industry awards, winning five times, since 1998!

* Voice won the 2009 Eisner Award for Best Webcomic.

"Completely fascinating." --Warren Ellis

"Finder is, bar none, the best SF comic being published today." --Strange Horizons

8D11p.jpg

R7OKF.jpg

NOV100272 DMZ TP VOL 09 MIA (MR) $14.99
OCT100305 GEARS OF WAR HC BOOK 02 (MR) $24.99
OCT100316 NOCHE ROJA HC (MR) $19.99
SEP100687 CAPTAIN AMERICA BY JACK KIRBY OMNIBUS HC $74.99
DEC100675 DEADPOOL MERC WITH A MOUTH TP VOL 01 HEAD TRIP $34.99
DEC100669 INVINCIBLE IRON MAN PREM HC VOL 06 STARK RESILIENT BOOK 2 $19.99
AUG100692 X-FORCE PREM HC FORCE TO BE RECKONED WITH $29.99
DEC100663 X-MEN CURSE OF MUTANTS PREM HC $24.99
DEC100470 MORNING GLORIES VOL 01 FOR A BETTER FUTURE TP $9.99
DEC100417 PLANE STORY TP $19.99

cbd_header12-1.png

Spotlight On:
MARVEL VS CAPCOM 3 (PS3, X360) $59.99 ($69.99 for limited Special Edition)

a4kTC.jpg

After a decade of waiting, iconic Marvel and Capcom characters join forces again in a re-envisioned team fighting game for a new generation. Fill the shoes of legendary characters from the most beloved franchises in entertainment as you battle in a living comic book brought to life in a VS. fighting game for the first time by Capcom's MT Framework. Get set for the ultimate faceoff when Marvel vs. Capcom 3 hits Xbox 360 and PlayStation 3 in Spring 2011.

* Innovative graphics and gameplay bring the Marvel and Capcom Universes to life: Powered by an advanced version of MT Framework, the engine used in Resident Evil 5 and Lost Planet 2, now comes to Marvel vs. Capcom 3, bringing beautiful backgrounds and character animations to the forefront.
* Evolved VS. Fighting System: Wild over-the-top gameplay complete with signature aerial combos, hyper combos and other original systems. The evolved battle system takes the exciting mind-reading game to a whole new level!
* 3-on-3 Tag Team Fighting: Players build their own perfect team and use Assist Attacks and each character's special moves to create their own unique fighting style.
* Living Comic Book Art Style: See the most adored characters from the Capcom and Marvel universes brought to life in a "moving comic" style, blurring the boundaries between 2D and 3D graphics.

TgkoB.jpg

ptUxt.jpg

JUL100282 ALL STAR SUPERMAN COLLECTORS SET $45.00
FEB100291 DC CHRONICLES WONDER WOMAN STATUE $99.99
APR100305 GOTHAM CITY STORIES STATUE PART 4 HARLEY VS ROBIN $99.99
MAR100328 MICHAEL KEATON AS BATMAN STATUE $195.00
SEP101560 DANGER ROOM SESSIONS PSYLOCKE FINE ART STATUE $169.99
DEC100698 WOLVERINE BY MARKO DJURDJEVIC OVERSIZED POSTER $34.99

cbd_header01.png

Online Retailers of Comic Books & Graphic Novels:

Online Subscription Services for Monthly Comics:

Get Comics Books on Your iPod, iPad & iPhone:

Comic Shop Locator:

cbd_header13.png

Comic Book Resources: DC Comics Solicitations for May 2011 *NEW*
Newsarama: DC Comics Solicitations for May 2011 *NEW*

Comic Book Resources: Marvel Comics Solicitations for May 2011 *NEW*
Newsarama: Marvel Comics Solicitations for May 2011 *NEW*

Comic Book Resources: Image Comics Solicitations for March 2011
Newsarama: Image Comics Solicitations for March 2011

Comic Book Resources: Dark Horse Comics Solicitations for May 2011 *NEW*
Newsarama: Dark Horse Comics Solicitations for May 2011 *NEW*

Newsarama: Dynamite Entertainment Solicitations for April 2011

Newsarama: IDW Publishing Solicitations for March 2011

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Want previews? Then here ya go, courtesy of Comic Book Resources and Newsarama . Enjoy! :D

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

For me this week it's Brightest Day, Green Lantern, Supergirl, Avengers Academy, Thunderbolts, Uncanny X-Force, Wolverine (maybe), and Tiny Titans.

And now a bit of sad news for some... DC's solicitations released today revealed more series cancellations... in addition to Batman: Streets of Gotham, Azrael and Batman Confidential announced in March, the following series have all been given the axe: Batman and the Outsiders, Doom Patrol, Freedom Fighters, R.E.B.E.L.S., and JSA All-Stars. Their final issues will ship in May.

Happy reading! :D

Mistouze

user-friendly man-cashews
Sucks to see Doom Patrol getting the axe. But at least I'll get to finally read Dark Knight, Dark City. I hope there will be a Giffen book on the stands in June.

BATMAN #707
BRIGHTEST DAY #20
DOOM PATROL #19
GREEN LANTERN #62
GREEN LANTERN CORPS #57
LEGION OF SUPER HEROES #10
SHIELD #6

Dan

No longer boycotting the Wolfenstein franchise
Never heard of Finder, but I'm now super intrigued. Going to look into it and the collections Dark Horse is putting out. Thanks for the heads up on that one.

Marvel 2011 solicts are up: http://www.newsarama.com/comics/marvel-may-2011-solicitations-110215.html

FEAR ITSELF #2 (of 7):

The Mighty Thor--imprisoned by his own father! As Odin and the Asgardians leave the Earth to fend for itself against the God of Fear, the Avengers and the world's remaining heroes battle the unstoppable tide of terror! And then-- the Serpent’s Hammers fall! Who are the Worthy? Who shall rise up and join the Serpent as living avatars of his evil? And how can the Avengers respond...to fear itself?

FEAR ITSELF: THE HOME FRONT #2 (of 7):

As the effects of The Serpent spread among the populace, Speedball is in the most hostile territory imaginable...Stamford, Connecticut, whose people blame him for six hundred deaths. And it's about to get worse, as he must go up against one of the Serpent's elite vanguard alone! Jimmy Woo’s journey to uncover an international conspiracy takes him and the Agents of Atlas to Europe and a descent into universal intrigue where if the voyage doesn’t kill them, what they find there will! More explosive and heart-wrenching tales from across the globe as the entire Marvel Universe quakes from Fear Itself!

JOURNEY INTO MYSTERY #623:
Loki, the great betrayer, the great destroyer has returned! But in all the nine realms there is no one who trusts him. Sadly, when he's the first to discover the dread secret behind FEAR ITSELF and issues forth a call to arms, none will heed his call. Thrill to the latest JIM installment as the younthened Trickster God makes his devious move for power and control!

FEAR ITSELF: SPIDER-MAN #1 (of 3)
Manhattan is gripped in violent panic. Peter Parker has not slept in days. Abandoning his friends and family, Spider-Man cannot...WILL not... stop if there are people to be saved. But as the opening salvos of Fear Itself take their violent toll, will Spidey have what it takes to fight his own doubts?

Amazing Spiderman 626 cover:

asm660cov_02.jpg

Lombaszko

Glad I dropped Batman: Streets of Gotham a while ago. I didn't think it would last long with Dini doing other projects, but the early issues were good.
This week:
Batman #707: I'm so back and forth on this title. I like Tony Daniel's art but some of the character's he's focusing on (Peacock, I-Ching, Enigma and Catgurl) aren't doing it for me. This is the last issue of the four-issue arc so I might drop the book after this.

Brightest Day #20: I expect this issue to be action packed, Aquawar Part II right? Should be anyway. Only a few weeks left, and I have no idea where the story is going to end up, but I am enjoying it.

Green Lantern #62: Last month was great, but they revealed
Krona
two months ago and kept me waiting.

Looks like a good week!

Tucah

you speak so well
Brightest Day, GL, GLC this week.

But they only thing that really matters: MARVEL VS. CAPCOM 3

Awesome Alpha Flight news is awesome. Looking at issues of Eaglesham's JSA run, if he brings that level to this book it should be amazing.

I'll be getting:

SHIELD #6
Legion of Superheroes #10 - always love the crumbling logo trick.
Loki #3 - really dug the first two issues of this. Mythological Asgard stuff is the best.
Daredevil Reborn - the DD out in the sticks thing reminds me of Nocenti's run.
Thunderbolts #154

Might check out Silver Surfer as well.

Madds

Can someone explain the Marvel .1 numbering to me? Is this issue of Amazing Spiderman just a recap issue that regular readers can skip, or are they starting a new story arc?

Dead

well not really...yet
Madds said:
Can someone explain the Marvel .1 numbering to me? Is this issue of Amazing Spiderman just a recap issue that regular readers can skip, or are they starting a new story arc?
They're supposed to be jump on points for new readers I think

Madds said:
Jumping on points but not necessarily recaps. The Iron Man #500.1 issue (which I had to pick up, Benjamin's enthusiasm was too much) was an incredibly insightful "Tony Stark, this is your life" narrated by Tony Stark, but the Wolverine #5.1 was just a "Logan misses his own birthday party, new girlfriend meets Logan's friends" story.

The preview for ASM pegs it as an introduction to the new Venom.

tim1138

So after reading GL, the "wrap up" to the New Guardians arc left me pretty disappointed. Yeah it brought
Krona
back and revealed the origins of the
entities (side note: interesting to see the Guardians with White Lantern logos on their robes in the flashbacks)
, but in the end I really felt like it had no conclusion--just jumps straight to War of the Green Lanterns. I was happy to see them finally acknowledge that Hal has been going nonstop without a break since what, Final Crisis? Probably reading too much into it, but based on that and the WotGL preview at the end of the issue, might we see be seeing Hal slowly
go crazy and lose it
?

I loved the wrap up of the arc in GLC on Qward. Nice little twist at the end with
the Weaponer joining the Sinestro Corp
. I also enjoyed Sinestro's parting remarks to Soranik, just a nice little reminder of his power and that he cares.

This week's Brightest Day ended as I figured it would, with
Aquaman, Mera, and Aqualad beating up on Manta and his crew only to have Arthur vaporized by the White Ring at the end

I still have like seven other books to read so more impressions will come later.

Fables 102
Batman 707
Spider-Man 654.1
Brightest Day 20

Only read Fables so far but it was great.
Seeing Mr. Dark right at the Haven boundary was really well done. Brings the tension right away. Hearkens back to the days of the pre-War awhile back. Pinnochio was funny but it almost felt a little too Jack of Fables for me being self aware.

Still behind on Brightest Day and Spider-Man so I won't be reading those quite yet. Batman I've just been a little iffy on. Nothings really been that great ever since Bruce returned. Wish they were doing a big overall story still instead of these side stories that don't really seem important at all across all the Batman books (except Inc).

And I bought Brightest Day 1-18 off of eBay last week so I'm going through those now.

Any ideas what issues I should start buying with Green Lantern? I recently finished Blackest Night: Green Lantern and I figure the next TPB should be out soon so I'd rather skip a few issues and start back collecting now. Don't want to buy anything in floppies that I'll have in a book soon.

tim1138

VGChampion said:
Fables 102
Batman 707
Spider-Man 654.1
Brightest Day 20

Only read Fables so far but it was great.
Seeing Mr. Dark right at the Haven boundary was really well done. Brings the tension right away. Hearkens back to the days of the pre-War awhile back. Pinnochio was funny but it almost felt a little too Jack of Fables for me being self aware.

Still behind on Brightest Day and Spider-Man so I won't be reading those quite yet. Batman I've just been a little iffy on. Nothings really been that great ever since Bruce returned. Wish they were doing a big overall story still instead of these side stories that don't really seem important at all across all the Batman books (except Inc).

And I bought Brightest Day 1-18 off of eBay last week so I'm going through those now.

Any ideas what issues I should start buying with Green Lantern? I recently finished Blackest Night: Green Lantern and I figure the next TPB should be out soon so I'd rather skip a few issues and start back collecting now. Don't want to buy anything in floppies that I'll have in a book soon.

You'll be waiting a few months for the next GL collection. The first post Blackest Night arc just ended this month and the hardback isn't due out until June.

Dan

Lombaszko said:
Glad I dropped Batman: Streets of Gotham a while ago. I didn't think it would last long with Dini doing other projects, but the early issues were good.
Yeah, but the series is ending with Dini's House of Hush.

Lombaszko

Dan said:
Yeah, but the series is ending with Dini's House of Hush.
That is true and he did write many issues. I guess at the time I just felt like between Streets of Gotham, Gotham City Sirens and Zatanna the effort wasn't there. Actually it was the month I was expecting Heart of Hush Pt.II and DC shipped a whole issue of the Two-Face co-feature. I probably overreacted!

FnordChan

Dan said:
Never heard of Finder, but I'm now super intrigued. Going to look into it and the collections Dark Horse is putting out. Thanks for the heads up on that one.

I was a huge fan of Finder for ages, but I managed to fall off the bandwagon when McNeil begin publishing it as a webcomic, figuring I'd get back on when new collections were published. Well, it looks like Voice is the new collection and I'm incredibly stoked to be getting back into Finder again after far too long. Finder is a bit difficult to describe and definitely not easy to pigeon-hole - McNeil describes it as "aboriginal science fiction", which helps convey some of the tone if nothing else - so if you're curious about the series you'll want to check out the preview pages for both Voice and the forthcoming collection The Finder Library Vol. 1. I can't recommend it highly enough.

FnordChan

Dan

FnordChan said:
I was a huge fan of Finder for ages, but I managed to fall off the bandwagon when McNeil begin publishing it as a webcomic, figuring I'd get back on when new collections were published. Well, it looks like Voice is the new collection and I'm incredibly stoked to be getting back into Finder again after far too long. Finder is a bit difficult to describe and definitely not easy to pigeon-hole - McNeil describes it as "aboriginal science fiction", which helps convey some of the tone if nothing else - so if you're curious about the series you'll want to check out the preview pages for both Voice and the forthcoming collection The Finder Library Vol. 1. I can't recommend it highly enough.

FnordChan
Sweet, thanks. I'm definitely interested. The Finder Library Vol. 1 is now officially on my Amazon comics wishlist now, so I'll pick it up when it's released.

Is this something where reading it in original publishing order is important? I'm a little unclear on the nature of its serialization.

FnordChan

Dan said:
Is this something where reading it in original publishing order is important? I'm a little unclear on the nature of its serialization.

While I'm generally a fan of publication order, in Finder's case I don't think it's as important, as each storyline I've read has been fairly self-contained. You may be wondering about some of the recurring characters - not that there are terribly many - but otherwise, you'll be good to go. The only thing you really need to know is that the main character Jaeger is, in the words of the author, "is a Finder (an aboriginal detective) and a sin-eater (a ritual scapegoat)". If you're not desperate for something new to read and you're already planning on picking up the The Finder Library Vol. 1, you may as well hold out to read that before diving into Voices.

FnordChan

tim1138 said:
You'll be waiting a few months for the next GL collection. The first post Blackest Night arc just ended this month and the hardback isn't due out until June.

Hmm... maybe I'll just buy some back issues. Don't really want to wait until June to read more Green Lantern.

Darkman M

Speaking of comics, is anyone having trouble getting their Marvel VS Capcom 3 Marvel Unlimited promo thing to work? The code shows up as working and subtracts $9.99, but when i hit start subscription it just reloads.

Dan

FnordChan said:
While I'm generally a fan of publication order, in Finder's case I don't think it's as important, as each storyline I've read has been fairly self-contained. You may be wondering about some of the recurring characters - not that there are terribly many - but otherwise, you'll be good to go. The only thing you really need to know is that the main character Jaeger is, in the words of the author, "is a Finder (an aboriginal detective) and a sin-eater (a ritual scapegoat)". If you're not desperate for something new to read and you're already planning on picking up the The Finder Library Vol. 1, you may as well hold out to read that before diving into Voices.

FnordChan
I have a backlog as is (and it'll be getting bigger when my birthday rolls around in a couple weeks), so I'm not in a rush. It's more a question of whether would I move on to Voices after that or wait for a presumed Library Vol. 2 to fill in the gap between them. But you basically answered that anyhow. Thanks. I'll at least start with Library Vol. 1.

Blader

Wow, Green Lantern #62 was an extremely lame conclusion to the New Guardians story. And I use "conclusion" very loosely.

SHIELD, on the other hand, was cool as always, though it made me realize that Hickman is way more interested in the mythology he's creating than in Leonid -- which is kind of a problem here.

Blader5489 said:
Wow, Green Lantern #62 was an extremely lame conclusion to the New Guardians story. And I use "conclusion" very loosely.

SHIELD, on the other hand, was cool as always, though it made me realize that Hickman is way more interested in the mythology he's creating than in Leonid -- which is kind of a problem here.

This is why Uncanny X-Force exists. It doesn't have "problems".

I told myself I wasn't going to buy Marvel vs Capcom 3 at release. I reminded myself, I suck at fighting games now; my reflexes are terrible, I can't perform long combos, I get my ass kicked online all the time. I reminded myself about my out of control gaming backlog, games I bought over the last year (okay, two years) that I haven't even broken the shinkwrap on.

I reminded myself...

Yet here I sit with a copy, currently installing on my PS3. I'm weak. :(

On actual comics-related news, fans of "Cyclops you @$$hole" should check out the new issue of Wolverine. Can't say that I blame him, but still a dick move.

tim1138

Spike Spiegel said:
I told myself I wasn't going to buy Marvel vs Capcom 3 at release. I reminded myself, I suck at fighting games now; my reflexes are terrible, I can't perform long combos, I get my ass kicked online all the time. I reminded myself about my out of control gaming backlog, games I bought over the last year (okay, two years) that I haven't even broken the shinkwrap on.

I reminded myself...

Yet here I sit with a copy, currently installing on my PS3. I'm weak. :(

On actual comics-related news, fans of "Cyclops you @$$hole" should check out the new issue of Wolverine. Can't say that I blame him, but still a dick move.

But it's so fun! My wife and I played it for like 2 hours last night, just mashing buttons and marveling at the ridiculous results we could produce. What a glorious game.

ok i know this is prob old news, but i've been out of the country and was wondering what happened to my back up stories (specifically the francesco francavilla, jim gordon backup in detective) now that dc has dropped all titles to $2.99?

WascallyWabbit said:
ok i know this is prob old news, but i've been out of the country and was wondering what happened to my back up stories (specifically the francesco francavilla, jim gordon backup in detective) now that dc has dropped all titles to $2.99?
I don't know about the others, but the Jimmy Olsen backup turned into an oversized one-shot. Maybe the rest will too?

gerg

Are those Legion of Superheroes characters?

As for ToyFair, I don't think that there was a thread for it. MvC 3 Minimates were announced, though.

tim1138

So what did everyone think of Legion this month?
It's tied with ASM #654.1 as my book of the week, and I fully expect Dawnstar to act as the
Blue Lantern
of the 31st century.

-Mikey-

Blader5489 said:

The gap between issues is so long I don't even remember he is a character until I read the quick synopsis a the beginning of each issue.

Thankfully I'm more into the universe he is creating than Leonid.

tim1138 said:
It's tied with ASM #654.1 as my book of the week, and I fully expect Dawnstar to act as the
Blue Lantern
of the 31st century.

I agree with the books of the week (Legion/ASM). I would add to that the wonderful and touching Taskmaster scene from Avengers Academy.

Sheild would most likely be there too, but I'm tradewaiting it as it's so dense and I know it will be worth it.

Dead

well not really...yet
Man, ASM was awesome this week. I can't wait for the first issue of Venom to come out.

tim1138

I cannot wait for the Venom monthly. I loved when he
lost his legs and flipped out, reverting to the classic hulking Venom of old

tim1138 said:
I cannot wait for the Venom monthly. I loved when he
lost his legs and flipped out, reverting to the classic hulking Venom of old

I cannot believe how much I want this series. I'm not a big Venom fan at all, but something about this works for me.

tim1138 said:
Blue Lantern
of the 31st century.

Uncanny X-Force is book of the week every time it comes out, but it's kind of not fair.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom