• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Comic-Con 2017 |OT| Now remaining in San Diego until 2021! (July 19-23)

D

Diggeh

Unconfirmed Member

Comic-Con 2013 Thread of Exclusives, Panels, and Lines Galore (July 17-21)
Comic-Con 2014 |OT| nothing because they are dumb and I don't like them (July 23-27)
Comic-Con 2015 |OT| Even Marvel couldn't get tickets this year (July 8-12)
Comic-Con 2016 |OT| Go Beyond the Convention Center (July 20-24)

Welcome to the Comic-Con 2017 thread! The festivities kick off with Preview Night on Wednesday, July 19, and run through Sunday, July 23.
Clicking on the blue banners takes you to the corresponding topic on the official Comic-Con website.

Got a ticket? That means you've somehow survived the bloodshed and tears of the Comic-Con ticket battlefield. I welcome you, brave soldier.

Getting a ticket to Comic-Con is a trial by fire. Not only do you need an account on the website, but you must also have your badge code from the previous year.
If you want to buy your friends and family tickets, then they also need an account with their badge code.
Fortunately the process has become smoothed out since the horrific TicketLeap FailFrog madness of 2011. You can visit the official website to find out how to prepare for next year.

Don't have a ticket? You can still enjoy the festivities in Downtown San Diego. Almost all the locals have special promotions and fun exhibits to visit outside of the Convention Center!

LKC2XxZ.png

Every year, Nintendo sets up the Nintendo Gaming Lounge (more recently changed to the Play Nintendo Family Lounge) at the Marriott hotel adjacent to the Convention Center.
There are many stations set up for game demos with giveaways, freebies, live chatting with Mario, costumed friends, and more! Entry is free, so bring your gaming systems and prepare for fun!

6dWr9Cm.png

VwbuQNd.png

DO:
+ Bring a portable battery charger! Your phone and other important devices will thank you.
+ Have plenty of cash on hand.
+ Have good hygiene. You'll basically be in a zoo with a bunch of smelly gross people. A shower and deodorant will save your life.
+ Bring a backpack full of snacks, a hat, and hand sanitizer. You also need room for those freebies!
+ HAVE A PLAN! It can get disorienting being in the huge exhibit hall. Every year I print out the list of exclusives I want and draw a path on the exhibit hall map.
+ Attend the panel before the one you want so you can get good seats! (And it might actually be something you're interested in!)
+ Attend the Masquerade. It's a fun event with a lot of amazing cosplayers.
+ Take some time to explore San Diego! It's beautiful down here.
+ KEEP YOUR BADGE AFTER THE SHOW! You must have a valid Comic-Con badge to register for next year. Don't toss it!
+ Bring your Nintendo 3DS for StreetPasses galore!
DON'T:
- Don't park downtown. Take the trolley!
- Don't spend all your money the first day.
- Don't overexert yourself. Pick your panels and signings wisely.
- Don't settle for convention hall junk. Pay a bit more for some real food.
- Don't tackle Hall H unprepared!

First time since maybe 2002 that I'm not going. Had a friend who could've got me a comp pass, but I had passes to McElroy liveshows those nights and Hall H lines last year were probably my tipping point.

Getting in line Thursday morning at 6 AM to get into Hall H Friday at 10 AM was a bit much!

So I want to get a wristband for Hall H on Saturday but I have tickets to see the Zelda symphony Friday night, which starts at 8PM...what are my chances of still getting one and not skipping the concert?

So I want to get a wristband for Hall H on Saturday but I have tickets to see the Zelda symphony Friday night, which starts at 8PM...what are my chances of still getting one and not skipping the concert?

I doubt you can by the time you get out. People are lined up on Thursday for Saturday panels. Besides, they start passing out wristbands at 8:30pm that same night.

I hope everyone has a great con! I am taking another year off, but I might try to go again next year. I have been going since the 90's and it gets crazier each year. Funny thing, I am flying in to San Diego for a business trip on Tuesday and back home Thursday but I might drop by downtown on Wednesday night just to check things out.

Got a hotel at the Hilton Bayfront next door, signed up for a line group for Hall H on Saturday, and already preordered my SDCC Batgirl T-shirt. I'm hoping to be able to waltz into Hall H on Friday afternoon for Twin Peaks since it's after GoT and Walking Dead.

I finally give up on Conan. Tickets are damn near impossible to get for his shows.

It's been an amazing time, but I'm 80% sure this is going to be my last SDCC. With a kid on the way, I can't justify spending so much money on hotels, restaurants, and passes anymore.

Got a hotel at the Hilton Bayfront next door, signed up for a line group for Hall H on Saturday, and already preordered my SDCC Batgirl T-shirt. I'm hoping to be able to waltz into Hall H on Friday afternoon for Twin Peaks since it's after GoT and Walking Dead.

I finally give up on Conan. Tickets are damn near impossible to get for his shows.

It's been an amazing time, but I'm 80% sure this is going to be my last SDCC. With a kid on the way, I can't justify spending so much money on hotels, restaurants, and passes anymore.

We shall raise a glass to a fallen warrior.

Tips from a local:

Park at Qualcomm stadium and take the trolley from there. Not only is here plenty of space, it's early on the rout so you'll actually have a chance at a seat. Any farther down the rout and you'll be standing in thick crowd for half an hour, or stuck not even getting on cause they get overloaded if you try to hop on just a few stops away from the center.

Go to the Spaghetti Factory for lunch/dinner. It's right across the street from the center, right past the second trolley stop. Not only do they have great food, but more importantly they have a bar and lounge on the top floor that most people don't know about, you can go relax up there and drink while you wait for a table while the riff raff stand out on the street.

I'll edit this post if I think of anything else worth mentioning.

ReAxion

effin' Faulconer....

definitely get into/around the Gaslamp for better food. if it's crowded, walk a bit further, people really thin out fast.

SeanC

Not going this year, have others going in my stead, but stay safe, hydrated and take some showers you disgusting animals.

I am hoping as this gets closer I can beg a GAF member to pick me up the exclusive Kingsman vinyl that will be at this comic con. I want it so bad...but in Illinois.

The_Kid

I'm going to the con but is anyone else staking out the mondo booth? Was hoping a couple of us could work together to get different things we want from there. I neeeeeeeeeeed that Attack on Titan Print and the Samurai Jack pins.

the chris

I was thinking of asking a friend of mine to pick up an exclusive Usagi Yojimbo figure, but I'm pretty sure they would all be gone by the time she would be able to go by.

Trying to decide if I want to go for the DBZ scouter again. Last time I tried, they kept capping the line as soon as it would open and I just gave up.

NECA is usually my vendor of choice. Might get that 30th anniversary Dutch action figure.

RedHill

Banned
I really want to go one day. For those of you that come from out of town, how much money do you end up spending between your badge/hotel/etc?

Bii

Trying to decide if I want to go for the DBZ scouter again. Last time I tried, they kept capping the line as soon as it would open and I just gave up.

NECA is usually my vendor of choice. Might get that 30th anniversary Dutch action figure.

I was able to get the 3-pack scouter a few years ago. You just have to walk 'in circles' as the line moves and hover around the person holding the 'end of the line' sign. As soon as it opens, make a dash for it. haha

I really want to go one day. For those of you that come from out of town, how much money do you end up spending between your badge/hotel/etc?

$4-5k on average for me, my girlfriend and 4-year old. I usually end up doing additional things outside of SDCC though. So could be cheaper for you, especially if you pack your own lunches, get a cheaper hotel (or room share), don't spend as much on merch, etc.

D

Diggeh

Unconfirmed Member
Diggeh, don't make me come over there.

I'll show you what's what!

I've never gotten into Bandai, and I've done Hasbro quite a few times! It's one of those booths like Funko that I don't even bother attempting anymore due to the sheer insanity.

If you're not getting in free, not splitting the costs of a hotel, possibly a thousand or so.

Food wise, you can easily spend $300.

Travel, depends on where you are coming from.

SDCC is not cheap, even by convention standards.

These super rare or something? Or just slim chance at charity?

It's often considered rude to ask someone to get exclusives for them. The lines for exclusives are super hard to get into and fill up fast, plus you're asking someone to spend sometimes up to a hundred dollars or more on top of what they were going to spend if they are going for the same exclusive. Plus, sometimes you can only get one.

If you've never been to San Diego you should at least go for a vacation , that place is paradise. Bonus if you get tickets to comic con.
That being said, comic con is pretty cool, kinda overhyped since you spend a good portion of your time waiting in lines , it still hurts I spent 4 hours in the lego mini figure line to not win it , shit.
I hear hall h is like a walk in situation so I'll be trying to attend it since I've never been in hall h.

Anyone going to the Conan show on Friday? I need a ticket and I'll trade a Conan funko from last year or a haunted mansion ghost funko for a ticket. 1:1 trade

If you've never been to San Diego you should at least go for a vacation , that place is paradise. Bonus if you get tickets to comic con.
That being said, comic con is pretty cool, kinda overhyped since you spend a good portion of your time waiting in lines , it still hurts I spent 4 hours in the lego mini figure line to not win it , shit.
I hear hall h is like a walk in situation so I'll be trying to attend it since I've never been in hall h.

Since I have friends in or near San Diego, I think I'm just going to go with my wife and upcoming child to SD for vacation. I love SDCC, but the amount of money I spend for the convention can be used elsewhere, and not having to deal with a literal sea of humanity.

Hall H is anything but a walk-in situation depending on what you want to see. If the panel you want to see is before something ridiculously popular, then you probably won't get in unless you join a line group and are willing to sit through other panels until what you want to see comes on. You stand a better chance of walking in if what you want to see is after the really popular stuff.

Try signing up for the Friends of CCI site. There is a forum where people are doing ticket trades for Conan, parties, etc. I was able to snag two tickets for Conan on Thursday night as long as I agreed to give the ticket holder the Funko Conan dolls.

ErichWK

The merrow, a venue a quick Uber ride north, has a cool VGM nerdcore show on Friday. MegaRan and kirby's dream band! I'll be there!

My badge is only for Sunday but I'll be spending all day Saturday in San Diego also. Got a room for the one night.

Been a few years since I went. So if I want to get in Hall H on Sunday, I have to get a wristband Saturday night at 7:30p? And then I have to return to the Hall H line before 7:30a Sunday?

bengraven

Got hooked on Marvel Legends about 9 months ago hardcore so I'm excited what we'll be seeing for 2018.

Here's hoping for Storm, Gambit, Nightcrawler, and Psylocke.

The_Kid

Anyone going to be in the Sails Pavillion on Fri for drawings? If you can go for Steven Universe signing (and manage to get it) I'll pay $100 easily. Can't get to the signing since the panel is at the same time.

Shot in the dark but figured why not ask.

My badge is only for Sunday but I'll be spending all day Saturday in San Diego also. Got a room for the one night.

Been a few years since I went. So if I want to get in Hall H on Sunday, I have to get a wristband Saturday night at 7:30p? And then I have to return to the Hall H line before 7:30a Sunday?

Depends. I think the Dr. Who panel is pretty popular but Sunday Hall H was pretty easy to get into last year.

Typo, meant Sunday hall h panels
People gtfo by Saturday afternoon

Picked up my Conan doubles/triples
We ready to trade for shit ��

Depends. I think the Dr. Who panel is pretty popular but Sunday Hall H was pretty easy to get into last year.

Whahuh?

The last time I went, around 4 years ago, the people who didn't camp out for Sunday H did not even get in. I showed up at like 5am and it was too late, fortunately I had friends that did camp out and I joined them.

iF24D1Z.jpg

Vectorman

Banned
Betting on people leaving Hall H on Friday after WD and GOT panel since I want in on the Twin Peaks panel and I hope people take off.
Am I setting myself up for disappointment?

ReAxion

Betting on people leaving Hall H on Friday after WD and GOT panel since I want in on the Twin Peaks panel and I hope people take off.

that's not a bad strategy. no guarantees of course, but i've done similar in the past and it's worked.

It's often considered rude to ask someone to get exclusives for them. The lines for exclusives are super hard to get into and fill up fast, plus you're asking someone to spend sometimes up to a hundred dollars or more on top of what they were going to spend if they are going for the same exclusive. Plus, sometimes you can only get one.
Ah. Yeah...that makes sense. I stupidly assumed a few things. Much appreciated.

SpecX

Help, I got a pass to Comic-Con and have no idea what to do. Thinking of taking my daughter since she can get in free, but is it kid friendly?

Wait you have conan tickets? What do you want for one? :eek:

I'm trading last years conan funko for tickets this year
Basically a funko for a funko

I'm planning on doing that myself lol
Everyone will dip after those two panels
Dougie help me

I'll legit wait by the door asking if they need a seat filler

Top Bottom