• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Comic-Con 2017 |OT| Now remaining in San Diego until 2021! (July 19-23)

ReAxion

Help, I got a pass to Comic-Con and have no idea what to do. Thinking of taking my daughter since she can get in free, but is it kid friendly?

Yeah, but Sunday is kid's day. It's almost all kids programming/panels on Sunday. Knock out some of show floor on prior days, look at the programming schedule, make a plan for Sunday.

Betting on people leaving Hall H on Friday after WD and GOT panel since I want in on the Twin Peaks panel and I hope people take off.
Am I setting myself up for disappointment?

I'm going to try for the same thing. I fully expect after GoT and WD that Hall H will barely be a quarter full. Twin Peaks, Conan on Thursday, and Marvel/DC is all I really have planned.

Should we shoot for a GAF meetup at some point?

Yeesh at those lines for the funko pop up shop x Conan stand by tickets

120+ at 2 am 0_o
That's not counting empty chairs x people holding spots, fuck that I'm staying and sleeping in

I was #200 at 5 am for Saturday last year.

I really, really don't get the insanity over Funko Pops at SDCC. I understand there are some collectors out there, but some people there are rabid about them like they're made out of gold.

I moved to California a few years ago and recently started considering going to big-name cons like SDCC just to experience them once. I'm not going this year or anything, but what's the situation with this?:

KEEP YOUR BADGE AFTER THE SHOW! You must have a valid Comic-Con badge to register for next year. Don't toss it!

You can't get a badge unless you had a badge from last year? How do first timers get a badge then?

Kirye

I moved to California a few years ago and recently started considering going to big-name cons like SDCC just to experience them once. I'm not going this year or anything, but what's the situation with this?:

You can't get a badge unless you had a badge from last year? How do first timers get a badge then?

There are 2 opportunities to get tickets. Once for previous badge owners, then another a few months later for random people who have a Comic Con account.

bengraven

I know I'm freaking out!

That Thor and Hulk can't be dismissed though. This line continues to improve, really well done.

They look fantastic but honestly other than the accessories and poseability just a step up from the legends. And I need to get that whole Ragnarok wave anyway or at least most of it. So I think I might be skipping those guys for the more affordable alternative so I can save some money for Doctor Strange and Catwoman. :D

Last time I went to Comic-con was exactly 10 years ago. I think it was the first year (or one of the first years) where it actually sold out. The Hall H panels were fun, and I got to see an awesome extended clip of Iron Man before it came out, but it's just so damned big. I couldn't believe how packed the endless attached airplane-hanger-like rooms had been. I want to go back one day but it feels like it would be even more overwhelming now.

Bread

Banned
excited to walk through downtown during the festivities again, shame i won't live a 5 minute walk away this year though. I never had an issue finding parking in Little Italy last year while the convention was going on.

I'm outside San Diego for work stuff so hopefully I'll be back Friday night for Downtown activities on Saturday and Sunday.

As usual, I'll be at the Marriott next to the convention center for the Nintendo Lounge.

EDIT: And I JUST found out Nerd HQ isn't attending this year. Dammit.

I may have to try volunteering next year to actually get into the con.

I really, really don't get the insanity over Funko Pops at SDCC. I understand there are some collectors out there, but some people there are rabid about them like they're made out of gold.
Well that's the thing, they've essentially become the economy of conventions: buy rare ones, flip them, buy entry to your next con and buy more. Once you start learning what's valuable, when and where to line up, etc., you can be making a ton of money. Waiting in line for a few hours, shooting the shit with friends/strangers can sometimes be more profitable than actually going to work for most people. It's an odd economy, but it is an economy.

BBboy20

I was thinking of asking a friend of mine to pick up an exclusive Usagi Yojimbo figure, but I'm pretty sure they would all be gone by the time she would be able to go by.
I have to ask: officially Comic Con starts at 9:30am but read that the doors open as early as 6am. Is it just a way to ungestate lines or do booths and such become open for business before the official start?

i miss the days of SDCC whare as a sd local i could just roll down there on site and get a badge.:( last time i went was in 2008

I have to ask: officially Comic Con starts at 9:30am but read that the doors open as early as 6am. Is it just a way to ungestate lines or do booths and such become open for business before the official start?

It opens for certain things if I remember correctly. They begin to split off the "everything else" line to their designated function. Like the people lining up for autograph draws are taken to the Sales pavilion to wait there, those lining up for Funko, Mattel, Hasbro, etc are taken to an area to start drawing tickets for certain booths, and volunteers get in so they can sign up to work the shift they want instead of picking from the leftovers.

TAJ

Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that.
i miss the days of SDCC whare as a sd local i could just roll down there on site and get a badge.:( last time i went was in 2008

My first con was 1991. It was the first year that SDCC was in the convention center.
2002 was the first time the line to buy tickets onsite was impressively long. It went from the right side of the building back to the water and to the right a tiny bit into Seaport Village. And it was only even close to that bad on Thursday.
I used to volunteer in the '90s and I was an exhibitor in 1994.
I missed several years because of work and now I'll probably never get to go again even though I still live here. I don't remember if my last one was 2007 or 2008.

I worked on a party in the US Grant this week. I've heard several times that the con started there but never which room it was in. I found a PDF of the show program but I didn't see it in there.

cuilan

Same with me. The convention center is like 20 minutes away from where I live, but I stopped going to SDCC once they started making everyone jump through multiple hoops in order to get a badge. I believe 2008 was also the last time I attended, though I did hang out around downtown last year to check out the stuff that didn't need a badge. Might do the same again this year.

D

Diggeh

Unconfirmed Member
Awesome Preview Night! Got most of the stuff I needed.

Blade30

Unconfirmed Member
Any chance that Deadpool 2 might be on FOX Panel?

So, when do the big players like Disney, Marvel and DC have their presentations?

On Saturday, Marvel (5:30pm – 7:00pm) and WB (11:30am – 1:30pm). Not sure about Disney's Panel.

Took me 2 hours, but finally got my tickets for Conan tonight.

There were already people starting a line for tomorrow's show. Good god.

Pachimari

Any chance that Deadpool 2 might be on FOX Panel?

On Saturday, Marvel (5:30pm – 7:00pm) and WB (11:30am – 1:30pm). Not sure about Disney's Panel.

I'd say 90% chance. Probably not a full trailer, but definitely a scene or something.

Deadpool 2 weren't supposed to be there, but the actor of Colossus has tweeted that "we should get ready for Comic Con cause the mutants are coming", so it might be there, or it might just be the X-Men movie projects.

Took me 2 hours, but finally got my tickets for Conan tonight.

There were already people starting a line for tomorrow's show. Good god.

What time did you start lining up?

I was thinking to line up at 5 am tomorrow for the wristband for a standby ticket. But now I'm thinking I'd be horribly mistaken not to line up earlier.

Marvel Games panel starts in a few minutes, though I don't think they've teased any big announcements, so I wouldn't expect too much (plus there's a separate MvCI panel tomorrow).

Wanderer5

Marvel Games panel starts in a few minutes, though I don't think they've teased any big announcements, so I wouldn't expect too much (plus there's a separate MvCI panel tomorrow).

Well if Lego Marvel Superheroes 2 is going to be there, wonder if they will do another character reveal (please be more interesting this time if so heh).

Grizzlyjin

Supersonic, idiotic, disconnecting, not respecting, who would really ever wanna go and top that
Fox's only panel was about Kingsman. Don't expect news on upcoming X-films.

How odd. They have so much brewing for next year. And they just dropped that Kingsman trailer online earlier today, didn't even let some buzz build first.

What time did you start lining up?

I was thinking to line up at 5 am tomorrow for the wristband for a standby ticket. But now I'm thinking I'd be horribly mistaken not to line up earlier.

I joined a group that had 6 extra tickets so I just met them at 10am. But most people who got a ticket lined up around 2-3am

BBboy20

THE FUCK Waited 2 hours for Stan Lee and nobody informed jack shit on that it was already capped and now he left. Fuck is this shit?

Ok, I am figuring out how panels work here and it still bonkers. I really must have lucked out with the mask of the Phantasm panel

Wanderer5

THE FUCK Waited 2 hours for Stan Lee and nobody informed jack shit on that it was already capped and now he left. Fuck is this shit?

Ok, I am figuring out how panels work here and it still bonkers. I really must have lucked out with the mask of the Phantasm panel

There was a panel for that?! :O

And yeesh, it sucks that they don't inform people that it is cap till long after the panel starts and get finished.<.< Or was this a autograph thing? Sadly when it comes to someone like Stan Lee especially, you have to be beyond early.

BBboy20

There was a panel for that?! :O

And yeesh, it sucks that they don't inform people that it is cap till long after the panel starts and get finished.<.< Or was this a autograph thing? Sadly when it comes to someone like Stan Lee especially, you have to be beyond early.
QEXfLxq.jpg

Bucket list accomplished and fuck the system.

And yeah, witnessing both Batman and The Man in consecutive days is a hell of a thing.

D

Diggeh

Unconfirmed Member
It's the last day already! Got so many goodies. I can't believe the Nintendo Gaming Lounge actually had lines to get in that were capped! Insane.

Surprise Kansas performance today in H. That was awesome, don't know if any of you are in here too. Eagerly awaiting Doctor Who. Even though I haven't seen Supernatural they always have good panels.

hateradio

The Most Dangerous Yes Man
All I want to say is that the shenanigans about the line for Hall H on Saturday are the worst.

I honestly wish they would change the whole system into a lottery, at least for Friday/Saturday. &#128529; &#128529; &#128529;

Top Bottom