• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.
  • The Politics forum has been nuked. Please do not bring political discussion to the rest of the site, or you will be removed. Thanks.

Comics Are Dead, Long Live Manga!

Lupingosei

Oct 24, 2017

And they wonder why manga eats their lunch

strange headache

Fluctuat nec mergitur
Jan 14, 2018

And they wonder why manga eats their lunch

It's not the lazy art and the endless reheating of the same story beats, it's us crusaders who are at fault.
Let this thread die before it gets closed for being too political. We can't have it interrupt the usual product shilling.

Yes, I'm salty.

Lupingosei

Oct 24, 2017
It's not the lazy art and the endless reheating of the same story beats, it's us crusaders who are at fault.
Let this thread die before it gets closed for being too political. We can't have it interrupt the usual product shilling.

Yes, I'm salty.
Well that too, but for me it is more about that they could not even spell April correct in the title of the damn book.

And not only that, it even went on their website for promotion, nobody even saw that or questioned it.

How numb do you have to be to work at IDW.

strange headache

Fluctuat nec mergitur
Jan 14, 2018
Well that too, but for me it is more about that they could not even spell April correct in the title of the damn book.

And not only that, it even went on their website for promotion, nobody even saw that or questioned it.

How numb do you have to be to work at IDW.

I didn't even notice the Arpil, I was too taken aback by the artwork.
Good catch :messenger_tears_of_joy:

sol_bad

Jan 17, 2006
And again. There have been over 200 issues of Ninja Turtles from IDW but only now it's brought up because of that cover. What are your thoughts on the other 200 issues?
Who am I kidding. Of course you haven't actually read any of it.

Azurro

Jun 11, 2018
And again. There have been over 200 issues of Ninja Turtles from IDW but only now it's brought up because of that cover. What are your thoughts on the other 200 issues?

I know I'm talking to the tailend of the Hollywood human centipede, but whatever. Look, it's not the job of the readers to look past bad and/or woke covers, characters, illustrations or plot synopsis.

It's the publishers job to make their comic/manga/book attractive to the reader so that they want to buy it. In this sense you are completely out of place at acting indignant that people don't want to read things with covers/illustrations as shit as that.

Lupingosei

Oct 24, 2017
Who cares?

They do not even care. If they did, they never would have spelt the name of the protagonist wrong and it would not have passed everybody and landed on their marketing homepage.

They put together some older stories and slapped a low effort artwork on the cover. Now they hope somebody will buy it.

sol_bad

Jan 17, 2006
I know I'm talking to the tailend of the Hollywood human centipede, but whatever. Look, it's not the job of the readers to look past bad and/or woke covers, characters, illustrations or plot synopsis.

It's the publishers job to make their comic/manga/book attractive to the reader so that they want to buy it. In this sense you are completely out of place at acting indignant that people don't want to read things with covers/illustrations as shit as that.

Considering that IDW have had the TMNT license for 10 years and have produced over 250 comics, about 50 TPBs and 13 deluxe hardcovers and none of the drama crowd have ever mentioned it I'm pretty sure they have done well with their art and covers.

Of course no one from the drama crowd would want to discuss how well made these books are and how beautiful they are.

strange headache

Fluctuat nec mergitur
Jan 14, 2018
This mediocrity is increasingly prevalent and tainting the rest. It's like driving a frikkin' Ford Pinto or eating a soup with a drop of urine in it. These problems stick out and are driving people straight into the arms of the competition. There's only so much crap that audiences are willing to take. If your only defense is "but other stuff doesn't suck so bad", then you've already conceded subpar quality.

Of course they also introduced a token female Ninja Turtle in order to promptly make her into a furry lesbian:

Frikkin' Ninja Turtles don't need to be sexualised. You ever seen a Turtle penis? Yeah, trust me you don't want to. I don't want to see Turtles kissing and having sexual relations to be honest.
They also introduced a pink Turtle from the future that is just pure cringe:

Pretty much explains why their highest selling book, issue #100, sold a measly 50.000 copies. It's also the reason why their TMNT Universe series got canned after a measly 25 issues in 2018. Even hardcore Turtle fans are worried by the low numbers.
IDW is severely struggling with sales in general, a year ago their top comics were Marvel Action Spider-Man #12 (8,873) Shredder in Hell #5 (8,995) Sonic the Hedgehog #24 (9,617) Dying is Easy #1 (14,776) and finally TMNT #100 (53,945).

IDW Publishing sales declined and profits swung to a loss in the company’s fiscal Q1 ended January 31, parent IDW Media Holdings said in its quarterly report. Sales by the publishing division were $5.8 million, down from $6.3 million in the same period a year ago. IDW Publishing lost around $400,000 in the quarter, vs. a $100,000 profit in the same period a year ago. [...] IDW Entertainment lost $4.6 million on sales of $2.8 million, as it continues to work through money-losing production deals.

Yeah, they sure are doing 'fantastic'...

Reactions: VanEs

sol_bad

Jan 17, 2006
This mediocrity is increasingly prevalent and tainting the rest. It's like driving a frikkin' Ford Pinto or eating a soup with a drop of urine in it. These problems stick out and are driving people straight into the arms of the competition. There's only so much crap that audiences are willing to take. If your only defense is "but other stuff doesn't suck so bad", then you've already conceded subpar quality.

Of course they also introduced a token female Ninja Turtle in order to promptly make her into a furry lesbian:

Frikkin' Ninja Turtles don't need to be sexualised. You ever seen a Turtle penis? Yeah, trust me you don't want to. I don't want to see Turtles kissing and having sexual relations to be honest.
They also introduced a pink Turtle from the future that is just pure cringe:

Pretty much explains why their highest selling book, issue #100, sold a measly 50.000 copies. It's also the reason why their TMNT Universe series got canned after a measly 25 issues in 2018. Even hardcore Turtle fans are worried by the low numbers.
IDW is severely struggling with sales in general, a year ago their top comics were Marvel Action Spider-Man #12 (8,873) Shredder in Hell #5 (8,995) Sonic the Hedgehog #24 (9,617) Dying is Easy #1 (14,776) and finally TMNT #100 (53,945).

Yeah, they sure are doing 'fantastic'...

1: Thanks for spoiling something about the story. I'm personally only up to #30.
2: IDW is a small publisher and will rarely if ever reach the same sales numbers as Marvel/DC.
3: Maybe you should read your own links better.

If you read through the conversation, sales numbers for TMNT actually increased after #100, that's a positive.

"Sales were up in comics and down in games, according to the report, with digital sales leading the way with a 68% year-over-year increase."
It's the video game division that is causing the losses, not comics.

Universe may have stopped after 25 issues due to poor sales or it may not have. For the majority of time IDW were releasing micro issues, just like Mirage did back in the 80's. Micros are basically one shot single issues about individual characters. I've read ones for the 4 Turtles, Casey, April, Baxter, Krang, Hob, Fugitoid, Hun, Shredder, Karai and Bebop & Rocksteady. IDW decided to experiment, they stopped the micro series and tried TMNT Universe. Some single issue stories, some 2 partners, some 4 parters, not always involving the Turtles as the primary characters.
Universe may not have sold poorly per se but the micro issues may have just sold better.
Can't fault them for trying something different.

strange headache

Fluctuat nec mergitur
Jan 14, 2018
1: Thanks for spoiling something about the story. I'm personally only up to #30.
2: IDW is a small publisher and will rarely if ever reach the same sales numbers as Marvel/DC.
3: Maybe you should read your own links better.

1. What spoiler? The furry lesbian kiss that happeed in a Turtles comic over a years ago? Don't be ridiculous. If you're afraid of spoilers, what are you doing in this thread anyway?
2. IDW is a small publisher, but the sales are still abysmal. Their best comic books sells like 8k copies.
3. I've read the link, the increase in sales was for digital and they are operating at a loss. Games are down because nobody buys this crap:

They make losses because their products suck, comics included. This is a far cry from the rosy situation that you tried to paint previously. Their GI Joe writer Aubrey Sitterson already ran that franchise into the ground:

IDW is releasing a variant cover, of the homoerotic variety, of their G.I. Joe comic.. They even brought in Lambda Award winning artist Ed Luce to design it.

Things got so bad they had to fire Sitterson:

Scarlett's Strike Force is set to debut in comic book stores on Dec. 27, but as confirmed by CBR, the book has already been cancelled with no issues planned after #3. Its fate was sealed more than a month before the book's "Final Order Cut-off" (FOC) date of Dec. 4, and the series will now end on a cliffhanger. While IDW has stated that the cancellation is due to low sales, observers have wondered if ongoing controversy surrounding series writer Aubrey Sitterson influenced the decision.

IDW are so "successfull" Chris Ryall had to step down as their own licenses are sinking them. They took on a huge debt and severely had to cut their costs, i.e. shrink down:

These moves are in response to IDW Media Holdings taking on a veritable buttload of debt, mainly due to the decision to finance their own television shows. IDW Media Holdings operated at a net loss of $4.1 million in the three-month period from November 2018 to January 2019, which was actually up from the same period a year prior, which saw a $4.5 million loss. For Q4 of 2018, which ended last October, IDW Media Holdings operated at a $28.3 million loss with $41.3 million in cost and expenses. At that time, the company had a comprehensive loss of $35.6 million since October 2017. [...] Though the percentage of revenue from direct market and traditional retail publishing sales grew in 2018, overall sales revenue was actually down. As a result, the company looked to expand revenue in other areas, such as licensing, to make up for the loss. Though the revenue from these other areas did not make up for the loss in sales revenue, IDW was able to maintain its gross profit margin, partially due to cost-cutting.

They were forced to pretty much replace their executives:

The hires follow IDW's most recent financial report which showed the publishing division lost $1.2 million during the period of May 1st to July 31st. Losses for Q3 were actually down from the previous quarter, where IDW Publishing lost $1.6 million. IDW also recently shuttered their Black Crown imprint and canceled a Magic The Gathering comic before publication.

This year they've managed to stay afloat because Netflix renewed Locke & Key and they sold their marketing division:

The company had net income of $2.5 million compared to a loss of $400,000 in last year’s second quarter. The improvement was mainly due to the sale of its CTM division, which distributes print and digital-based advertising and information advertising.

Say what you want, this is not a healthy company.

Last edited:

oagboghi2

Apr 15, 2018
Considering that IDW have had the TMNT license for 10 years and have produced over 250 comics, about 50 TPBs and 13 deluxe hardcovers and none of the drama crowd have ever mentioned it I'm pretty sure they have done well with their art and covers.

Of course no one from the drama crowd would want to discuss how well made these books are and how beautiful they are.

What does any of that have to do with fucking up a cover?

Are you really so far up these companies' ass, you can't just admit they made a typo?

Reactions: strange headache

Diatribe1974

Jan 29, 2007
American comic books that were just comic books and not a political or social platform that were run by professional people that met deadlines for writing of the book, penciling and inking, lettering and coloring were the backbone of the industry. The moment we deviated from that, western comics began to decline. The further it deviated from that deviation, the more rapid the decline happened.

Claus Grimhildyr

Vincit qui se vincit
Jan 30, 2018
What does any of that have to do with fucking up a cover?

Are you really so far up these companies' ass, you can't just admit they made a typo?

It's Sol_Bad, so the answer is an unequivocal "yes".

They could literally wipe their asses with comic paper and sell it to him and he will sing its praises.

sol_bad

Jan 17, 2006
If anyone is interested in knowing about the different types of collected editions comic books have. There is a lot.