• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

COMICS! August l OT l So what's new with comics?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Owzers

Starting in August we have:

Hawkeye #1. Fraction and Aja are together again and will hopefully match Immortal Iron Fist in quality.

detail.jpg

Gambit #1. A good thief never goes away. Creative team of Asmus and Mann.

detail.jpg

Rocketeer: Cargo of Doom #1 of 4 from IDW, by Mark Waid and Chris Samnee.

rocketeer-cargo-of-doom-idw-arrives-in-august-L-ZxW5Cs.jpeg

If you like Neal Adams and think more weird early x-men days are your thing, First X-Men #1 of 5.

prv13095_cov.jpg

Godzilla Half Century War #1 of 5 from IDW, with art by James Stokoe of Orc Stain fame.

skreeonk.jpg

And also another new Image book with a tiny picture, Think Tank #1 by Matt Hawkins and Ekedal

ThinkTank01001_PREVIEW-194x300.jpg

After that, we still have Avengers vs. X-Men wrapping up the last stretch with issues 9 and 10 out of 12, and waiting for Marvel Now! ( which is really Marvel Later) starting in October and more heavily in November with relaunched books by new creators. Just announced: Gillen/Land on what looks like Iron Man and Aaron/Ribic on Thor.

Okay, one Ape is allowed in the OP, just on the basis of Hawkeye #1 being one of the three books needed to conquer the world. :

jDHxUBrsNQvjB.png

Well one more won't hurt anyone, and you should probably check out Winter Soldier anyway, right?

wintersoldier5.jpg

jon bones

hot hot hanuman-on-man action
that hawkeye comic might be alright... we're about due for a decent cape title.

but fuck all that avx noise, the REAL highlight this month is LOCKE AND KEY: GRINDHOUSE - a one shot from the best comic going on today. so hype.

locke_lg.jpg

This month we'll mark the last issue in Aaron/Guerra's Scalped.

I'm excited to see how it all ends, and hate the fact that I won't be getting any more monthly doses of it's awesomeness anymore.

Owzers

Apes :O I thought you were talking about another Planet of the Apes miniseries, not ....Marvel Apes. I remember worrying that dcbs was going to send me a marvel ape variant cover for a book i was reading, wanted nothing to do with that event.

Added Godzilla Half Century War #1 just because Stokoe is drawing it, and adding Locke and Key that was mentioned ( or maybe we'll just leave it with jon bones' post since it has a picture now. I'm behind on Locke and Key, first three trades were great though.

lunch

there's ALWAYS ONE
I had no idea there was a new Rocketeer comic. I love the Hawkeye cover too. I still haven't picked up last month's Saga though, so I can't see myself buying either one, but man. That is one awesome Hawkeye cover.

I have high expectations of Fraction/Aja given how good Iron Fist was. After finally taking a look at AvX, I hope the series stays as far as possible from it.
I've only read the first 8 issues of the main series but that shit is really stupid. And basically every character is an asshole.

Quick question regarding the Hawkeye series, will it have a digital code with the issue or not?

Been looking forward to this since it was announced and the cover is really awesome.

Owzers

Quick question regarding the Hawkeye series, will it have a digital code with the issue or not?

Been looking forward to this since it was announced and the cover is really awesome.

Not sure, in the newest previews, issue #3 had the free digital code sticker on the solicit, but it might have been a misprint, might not have. The other two issues didn't say it was coming with a digital code since it's a 2.99 book, but Marvel did say they were thinking of including codes with 2.99 in the future. Maybe the future is NOW!? but only with issue #3 on?

I have a two-sided poster with Hawkeye #1 and Gambit #1 on each side.

I'm displaying the Hawkeye one, because I'm not a monster.

8bit

Knows the Score
Starting in August we have:

If you like Neal Adams and think more weird early x-men days are your thing, First X-Men #1 of 5.

prv13095_cov.jpg

Uh-oh, did they allow Adams to write something else? Did no-one read Batman Oddyysseeyy?

Hmm, Hawkeye could be good.

Owzers

Christos Gage is supposed to be doing something regarding the story, that might make it okay. I got one issue into Batman Odyssey and abandoned it.

notworksafe

Apes :O I thought you were talking about another Planet of the Apes miniseries, not ....Marvel Apes. I remember worrying that dcbs was going to send me a marvel ape variant cover for a book i was reading, wanted nothing to do with that event.

All Apes everywhere ever! It's not too late to add some apes to that OP!!

jGdHSlTByRdN9.png

Brainmallah2.PNG

8bit

Knows the Score
Christos Gage is supposed to be doing something regarding the story, that might make it okay. I got one issue into Batman Odyssey and abandoned it.

Unless he is going to punch Adams in the face any time he goes near a typewriter I can't see this going well.

ReiGun

Hawkeye and Rocketeer look hot. I've had a renewed interest in Godzilla lately, so I might pick that up.

I have a two-sided poster with Hawkeye #1 and Gambit #1 on each side.

I'm displaying the Hawkeye one, because I'm not a monster.

Good man.

Hawkeye preview has me happy for sure. If it doesn't come with a digital code, I may double dip anyways so that I can read it while in Tahoe on my ipad.

Need to hang up my own Hawkeye/Gambit poster once I get home - Hawkeye side of course because Aja's artwork is awesome.

Owzers

I stand by my pre-order of Gambit #1, though i only continued pre-ordering Hawkeye out of Captain Marvel/Gambit/Hawkeye.

This month we'll mark the last issue in Aaron/Guerra's Scalped.

I'm excited to see how it all ends, and hate the fact that I won't be getting any more monthly doses of it's awesomeness anymore.

People are too busy complaining about event books instead of marking the end of the best monthly comic in decades.

I don't hate Gambit but I really can't see where the popularity comes from.

The popularity comes from the 90's animated series, his accent is much more palatable as spoken dialogue as opposed to hearing it in your head while reading

Also, i think his powers are visually cooler in motion as opposed to on a printed page

Parallax

best seen in the classic "Shadow of the Beast"
But it will be finished when the series is canceled at #3.

i would say iim sure it would be a quality book, but with panther man without fear being cancelled like it was, that literally means nothing.

I don't read Invicible, but it's always fun to see post-pregnant Atom Eve. I can't remember the last time I've seen a non-supermodel/skinny superheroine.

tumblr_m806i59cQI1rba2tuo1_1280.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom