• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

COMICS February |OT| of Curious (Black) Creators & Curious (Black) Characters!

Status
Not open for further replies.

ReiGun

I was the number 2 reading that book. And although I would have preferred no damn guest spots (fucking storm) it was a good read.
Oh yes. Why did she need to be there for the Kraven story? I wish they'd get a divorce or something, already. lol

Tizoc

I don't like the direction they're going with Black Panther ATM. Granted I've not read the current series but I assume he's having a hard time dealing with the villains and gangs he goes up against?

Dan

No longer boycotting the Wolfenstein franchise
DC revealed the collections planned for both the DC and Vertigo lines for fall 2012.

There's a few cool and noteworthy things in there above the expected stuff, but I'm most psyched with the confirmation of this one:

KAMANDI, THE LAST BOY ON EARTH OMNIBUS VOL. 2 HC
Writer: Jack Kirby, Gerry Conway and Paul Levitz
Artists: Jack Kirby, D. Bruce Berry and Mike Royer
Collects: KAMANDI, THE LAST BOY ON EARTH #21-40
$49.99 US, 416 pg

Woo! More Kamandi next December!

Parallax

best seen in the classic "Shadow of the Beast"
I don't like the direction they're going with Black Panther ATM. Granted I've not read the current series but I assume he's having a hard time dealing with the villains and gangs he goes up against?
Better than the hudlin era. Much better.

ReiGun

He's had some problems, but mainly it's been due to his having to readjust to being in Hell's Kitchen and without his usual resources.

Satch

Banned
i bought all the nu batmang issues and i gotta say that seeing batman get owned like that was strangely cathartic

If I wanted to read black panther where would I begin? I'm not really that familiar with the charecter at all other than that he's the prince of wakanda

Tizoc

He's had some problems, but mainly it's been due to his having to readjust to being in Hell's Kitchen and without his usual resources.

OK I'm sorry but that's bullshit, complete and utter bullshit. While I've only just begun reading Priest's BP run and had previously read Hudlin's run as well, BP shouldn't have a hard time like that even without his 'resources'.

If I wanted to read black panther where would I begin? I'm not really that familiar with the charecter at all other than that he's the prince of wakanda

There's Christopher Priest's Black Panther, but only 2 TPBs were ever released collecting it. It is considered the best BP series BTW-
http://www.amazon.com/dp/0785107894/?tag=neogaf0e-20
http://www.amazon.com/dp/0785108297/?tag=neogaf0e-20

Then there's Hudlin's run, which not many like because he changed stuff that were apparent in Priest's run...but I personally liked it =P
http://www.amazon.com/dp/0785120483/?tag=neogaf0e-20
^Much of his run is collected in TPB. Dwayne McDuffie also wrote some Black Panther stories.

notworksafe

Tizoc's recommendations (beat me damnit) plus Wikipedia/Comic Vine for backstory is really all you need IMO. Vol 1 of his Hell's Kitchen stuff is newer and a good read too.

I mean you could go farther back, but it's not like you'll need to know every fact about the dude to enjoy his comics.

Tizoc

@notworksafe- I find reading the old stuff is just to see how the character was written and portrayed over the years, so mostly for 'historical' reasons I guess ^_^;
In fact I think Christopher Priest wrote a B. Panther 4-issue mini back in the 80s didn't he (back when he was going by another name)? Is that one collected?

notworksafe

Yeah he was Black Leopard for a bit in the 70s, but that went away quickly.

Don't think Priest wrote him until the 90s (could be wrong here), but you may be thinking of the miniseries done by Peter Gillis. I don't believe that is collected however.

If you really want some good classic BP, I recommend his Marvel Masterworks collection. Really made him into a fantastic character (to me at least) and at the end has him investigating a murder that the KKK is involved in as well. Very good stuff imo but it isn't cheap.

I don't mean to demean reading "historical" comics for a backstory on a character. I just think for jumping into a character, it's best to work backwards. Get the new stuff (while using Wiki/CV for reference when needed) and if that gets you interested then go back and search for old collections and singles, which is a more expensive than just getting new stuff. Not everyone's cup of tea for sure, but I find it works well the majority of comics.

EDIT: Just realized you mean when Priest was Jim Owsley. IIRC Priest didn't write BP until he was already calling himself Christopher Priest.

ReiGun

Well, when I say "he's had problems", I don't mean he's stumbling around, getting beaten up by mooks in dark alleys. Rather, it's a new situation, and he's dealing with it. The book still portrays him as an incredibly powerful person.

I don't know. I've read a good bit of Priest's run, and I never had any problems with T'Challa's portrayal here. *shrug*

oipic

Loved 355. One of my saddest comic book moments.

290b247f7bb8b9aa9961ee7d89bfe544825eaff2.jpg

Valravn

Just ordered some TPB's!

Uncanny X-Force: Deathlok Nation
Uncanny X-Force: Dark Angel Saga Book 1
Amazing Spider-man: Big Time
Amazing Spider-man: Matter Of Life And Death

I've been hearing good things about Slott's run on Amazing Spider-man. The title is fun to read again and Slott brought life back to this character since the unfortunate missteps in storylines. I've only read Spider-Island and concerning this arc i agree with the positive comments about Slott. Spider-Island was an event without any seismic changes and finally this was also an event that wasnt too serious for its own good, instead it was kind of funny at times. I had some trouble with the art, it looks a bit too cartoony for my tase but the art fits the tone of the story well, just like Chew just to name a comic with cartoon styled art.

Jedeye Sniv

Banned
So I got the hankering for more Uncanny X-Force and went to Comixology... they only have up to #7, wtf? Are they just trickling the issues out? I NEED TO KNOW WHAT HAPPENS!

Can someone tell me who that was at the end of X-Force this week?

The Skinless Man
. New character, brief statue appearance in UXF #18. Not a very effective final page reveal I think, instead of the reader going "oh shit its this guy!", they go "Oh it's uh...wait, who is this person?"

the chris

Can someone tell me who that was at the end of X-Force this week?
I was wondering the same thing, the art was a little better than last issue but I couldn't tell what happened at the end of the issue.

Venom was great though, I always love seeing Tony Moore on anything, so seeing him draw
Blackheart
was a real treat for me.

ghostmind

I'm an outsider looking in these days, but this new DC regime, and many of its actions really feels like the X-Men office circa the 1990's. Unsurprisingly, both were headed by Bob Harras.

Editors listening to artists and ignoring writers, for one.

Howard Mackie for two.

The heavy editorial control makes it feel like old times back in the house of X.

Listening to artists and ignoring writers because a permanent thing when Marvel hired a 90s cover artist who couldn't hit a deadline (Joe Quesada) to run the company

Pie and Beans

Look for me on the local news, I'll be the guy arrested for trying to burn down a Nintendo exec's house.
so, Spider-Men.

detail.jpg

Either Ultimate Peter is coming back or Miles Morales is meeting 616 Spidey for crossover hijinx / desperate sales plumping (the other logo is Morales' spider insignia)

Parallax

best seen in the classic "Shadow of the Beast"
so, Spider-Men.

detail.jpg

Either Ultimate Peter is coming back or Miles Morales is meeting 616 Spidey for crossover hijinx / desperate sales plumping (the other logo is Morales' spider insignia)

so it could be like the spider man 2099/616 crossover? or that miles appeal has finally worn off and they want pete back in the top spot?

Its an Ultimate Spider-Man thing. Bendis has been hyping up some big Ultimate project for awhile now, he was talking all about this on his Twitter and Facebook, AND the left logo is the exact same one from USM #160, representing Ult. Peter Parker.

usm160.jpg

/comicjournalism

Jedeye Sniv

Banned
Interesting... Miles has barely had time to settle in though, I hope they're not getting rid of him already. The trouble with Bendis' hyper decompressed storytelling is that even 6 issues in, not much has really happened... The issues were gorgeous but not much in the way of Spider-Manning.

Listening to artists and ignoring writers because a permanent thing when Marvel hired a 90s cover artist who couldn't hit a deadline (Joe Quesada) to run the company

Whatever one may say of Quesada, I don't see how you could argue that Marvel became less, not more, writer-driven during the last decade. The Ultimate line? Writer-driven. New X-Men? Writer-driven. Astonishing X-Men? Writer-driven. Civil War? Writer-driven. Pretty much everything Bendis, Millar, Brubaker, Ellis, etc. did in that period was writer-driven (or at least equally driven by both), despite a few artist-driven vanity projects like Onslaught Reborn.

The Spider-Man image is possibly a storyline where Miles travels back in time a year or so and meets Ultimate Peter Parker, though I suppose they could already be bringing the latter back. I doubt there's actually going to be a 616/Ultimate crossover.

"Stay out of my way."

That's not how you make friends, Frank. :|

Also, how f*cked is that guy in the last panel? I love Checchetto's artwork; that
ghostly skull appearing in the darkness would be such a pants-sh*tting moment in real life.

So yeah. Still loving Punisher.

my eye is twitching

hughes........................

HUGHES YOU SON OF A BITCH

Show me your rage! BWAHAHAHAHA!

You'll become Comic GAF's Goblin Queen. >:D

IN COMIC NEWS!

Savage Dragon was awesome. Larsen is nailing the voice of Malcolm at school. Lots of Angel panty shots.

Luther Strode was awesome. Ass kicking and intensity!

X-Sanction isn't making any more sense, BUT GOOD ART AND FIGHTING! :D

It was a good week for comics and I.

As for writers ruling the roost at the big two - yes. Ethan van Sciver has been very vocal about this for the past two years. I still say the big two are still butthurt over Image.

Speaking of which - Happy 20th Anniversary to Image Comics!

Eat a dick Todd McFarlane.

Did nobody actually read all of the OP? I was kind of hoping the FCBD funnybook exchange would be of interest to you ninnies.

I just started reading this today. Really amazing from a conceptual standpoint. I would describe it as Mad Max meets A Princess of Mars, with a dash of blaxploitation. What a fucking hidden gem.

Awesome. My shop didn't have any copies. I will have to look elsewhere.

I'm going to try and read as much of the stuff in the OP this month as I can. It all looks really good. "Gold Digger" especially looks like it'd be right up my alley.

It really is a ton of fun.

Anyhow, gotta run. This beer ain't gonna drink itself and I got some goobers on gaming side to troll. ^_^

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom