• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

COMICS! May |OT| Round 2! FIGHT!

Status
Not open for further replies.

nicoga3000

Saint Nic
After reading all the meh opinions on Fables, I've decided to skip it and just hunt down back issues and old trades of BPRD. I'm thinking this is a much more sound financial decision haha.

Owzers

There was all that talk about more Justice League books, i'm guessing JLI will be replaced by something. I didn't read JLI so it won't be missed by me.

I do however seriously question the logic behind having Johns write a JLI annual to a canceled book.

ElNarez

Banned
Justice League International has been cancelled as per the solicits.

Dude. Dudes. A) It's nowhere near a number that would warrant a cancellation, because I mean this is DC and they are still publishing turds like Firestorm, so you know. B) It's not advertised as the capital-F finale but as the FINALE? with a question mark. Which in comic book terms means it's absolutely not the finale in any way whatsoever.

Owzers

Dude. Dudes. A) It's nowhere near a number that would warrant a cancellation, because I mean this is DC and they are still publishing turds like Firestorm, so you know. B) It's not advertised as the capital-F finale but as the FINALE? with a question mark. Which in comic book terms means it's absolutely not the finale in any way whatsoever.

in the solicits it says:

On sale AUGUST 1 • 32 pg, FC, $2.99 US • RATED T • FINAL ISSUE

could still be team/name/creative team change as noted, i think it would be a lot better to just relaunch in the third wave though or come out with a 0 issue in september and then relaunch.

kmfdmpig

bummer, I was hoping it would get fun so I could go back to it

It is odd that they relaunched a book famous for being fun/humorous into one that is just a serious book of second tier characters. I'm not sure who it was meant to appeal to. I loved the old JLI/JLE stuff and still like many of the characters. The new Justice League International has not been anything special at all, which is a shame. I hope that if they make it into a newer team (which seems logical given the solicitations and the fact that the annual comes out sevearl weeks after the "last" issue) then they inject some fun/humor.

NICE! The Pathfinder RPG comics from Dyanamite is being written by Skullkickers Jim Zub!

http://www.comicbookresources.com/?page=article&id=38652

1337007134.jpg

1337007228.jpg

Tom_Cody

I'm looking to get into Cosmic Marvel, specifically the stuff written by Abnett/Lanning. From the little bit that I've researched, it looks like Annihilation is a natural starting point.

Is anyone a fan of these books? More than anything I want to read War of Kings, but I think it will be fun to read the build-up stuff as well.

Err, I meant the second issue. I recall either it was getting a name change or that Power Girl and Huntress got their own book. I don't follow DC much anymore outside Aquaman.

Ooops! Yeah #2 is a week or two away. The girls book is Worlds Finest and came out the same week as Earth 2 #1.

Can someone tell me more about this awesome image?

Animal Man and Swampy have shared a mythos since issue 1 of their respective books. The Green, The Red and The Rot are coming together for a huge wrap up!

The build up has been amazing.

Mifune

Mehmber
Read through Flex Mentallo this weekend. What an incredibly bizarre, dense, at times impenetrable work. And yet it's totally compelling and often mesmerizing. I read the first issue over again right after finishing the fourth one. This is a book that will make a little more sense with each return visit.

Also enjoying Matt Fraction's run of Invincible Iron Man. Each issue feels like about two; I like that.

After reading it a second time, I've decided that the first issue of Dial H didn't do much for me. And I adored Perdido Street Station.

A few issues into Chew, and not loving it yet. Can't quite put my finger on why not. Feels vaguely overwritten or something.

Tom_Cody

Animal Man and Swampy have shared a mythos since issue 1 of their respective books. The Green, The Red and The Rot are coming together for a huge wrap up!

The build up has been amazing.
Cool. I will have to check those books out once they are collected.

boinx

I'm looking to get into Cosmic Marvel, specifically the stuff written by Abnett/Lanning. From the little bit that I've researched, it looks like Annihilation is a natural starting point.

Is anyone a fan of these books? More than anything I want to read War of Kings, but I think it will be fun to read the build-up stuff as well.

Start from Annihilation advancing through Conquest to War of Kings, and yeah i just started reading from Annihilation a couple days ago myself and it's been good so far.

Owzers

sadly i just can't get into Animal Man and Swamp Thing, i don't like how so much of both books are dedicated to the rot, i find it not to be that interesting of an "enemy" and i don't like the execution of the concept. I did think that Swamp Thing brought a little more to the table in issues #3-6 whereas Animal Man felt stretched.

Boy, they sure are giving Cullen Bunn a lot of work at Marvel. Wolverine, Captain America team-up, Venom, co-writing Cap with Brubaker(probably gonna take that over, too), now a Deadpool mini.

kswiston

Annihilation is my favourite Marvel crossover this decade.

Start there and decide how much time you want to invest in the books. There were 4 big crossovers, related miniseries, and two ongoings (Nova and Guardians of the Galaxy)

Annihilation Conquest was the weakest crossover, so if you are bummed with that book after the original, it gets better.

Boy, they sure are giving Cullen Bunn a lot of work at Marvel. Wolverine, Captain America team-up, Venom, co-writing Cap with Brubaker(probably gonna take that over, too), now a Deadpool mini.

I wouldn't be surprised if companies do that to more writers so they don't have time to take their best work to Image.

Tom_Cody

Annihilation is my favourite Marvel crossover this decade.

Start there and decide how much time you want to invest in the books. There were 4 big crossovers, related miniseries, and two ongoings (Nova and Guardians of the Galaxy)

Annihilation Conquest was the weakest crossover, so if you are bummed with that book after the original, it gets better.
Awesome. At least now I know for sure that I should start with Annihilation.

While we're on this topic, what part of Annihilation should I read in order to get the core essence. Is there a specific mini-series for the event, or should I read everything. The hardcovers seem to collect every all the issues from all the series involved.

To put it another way, what is the proper read order?

Lol at Marvel's "Before X-Men."

I know how you feel about Animal Man brah, the plot is meandering right now and the Rot aren't compelling to me at all. Probably in the minority, but I would love for Buddy to suit up and deal with some other dark enemies. It just seems after this storyline, where do they go from here?

tm24

I wouldn't be surprised if companies do that to more writers so they don't have time to take their best work to Image.
I don't know, for all the crap we give Marvel, this is one of the best things that any company does. They give writers a lot of freedom on this kind of stuff. I wouldn't be surprised if Remenders decreased workload is a result of him returning to creator owned works.

kswiston

Awesome. At least now I know for sure that I should start with Annihilation.

While we're on this topic, what part of Annihilation should I read in order to get the core essence. Is there a specific mini-series for the event, or should I read everything. The hardcovers seem to collect every all the issues from all the series involved.

To put it another way, what is the proper read order?

ANNIHILATION: PROLOGUE
ANNIHILATION: NOVA #1-4
ANNIHILATION: SILVER SURFER #1-4
ANNIHILATION: SUPER-SKRULL #1-4
ANNIHILATION: RONAN #1-4
ANNIHILATION #1-6

the four minis are fairly important going into the main series. Especially the Nova series. The prologue is also important.|

If these books are too much money altogether, consider buying a Marvel Digital Comics Unlimited subscription. Almost all of the cosmic marvel stuff in on there. Not the same as having the books, but a great alternative to buying expensive hardcovers if you just want to read the series.

SUPREME1

Banned
5145AVqmP5L._SS500_.jpg

Just received this via Amazon.

Read it over the weekend... was pleasantly surprised. I actually have the individual issues from No. 8 thru current... so I already knew the book/series was good. I just hadn't picked up the first story arch. Glad I did.

I also knew what it was about and how it would end, but I was still able to lose myself in the story and art. The nicest surprise to me was the fleshing out of the origins of the Final Horsemen.

I'll be double dipping by picking up the Dark Angel Saga TPBs.

Also: I am now a fan of Fantomex.

Mifune

Mehmber
What do I need to know/read to get into this Uncanny X-Force series? Everyone seems to love this Remender guy and I'm nearing the end of Whedon's really fun Astonishing X-Men run and I think I could do with another good X book.

kswiston

What do I need to know/read to get into this Uncanny X-Force series? Everyone seems to love this Remender guy and I'm nearing the end of Whedon's really fun Astonishing X-Men run and I think I could do with another good X book.

Realistically? There was a secrect X-Force team created by Cyclops during the Messiah Complex crossover. Some time later, Cyclops decides to abandon the team. Wolverine starts another X-Force team in secret. Uncanny X-Force picks up from there.

The only other relevant thing is that Warren started lapsing back into Archangel in the previous X-Force series before Uncanny.

The other X-force book was good as well, especially if you were a fan of 80s/90s X-Men. But you don't need to read it to read the current book. Also that X-Force title was heavily connected to the other X-books and to everything that was happening in the X-Universe between Messiah Complex and Second Coming. Uncanny X-Force is standalone like Astonishing X-Men was.

I don't know, for all the crap we give Marvel, this is one of the best things that any company does. They give writers a lot of freedom on this kind of stuff. I wouldn't be surprised if Remenders decreased workload is a result of him returning to creator owned works.

Sorry for poorly phrasing, one of the things I thought might be interesting if some of these bigger companies clamp down on creator owned works in the future. To me, Image has a lot of great stuff coming out top to bottom then they've had in a while.

SUPREME1

Banned
Today in comic book lessons : How not to color a book, with Birds of Prey #9.

http://www.dccomics.com/blog/2012/04/25/artist-travel-foreman-on-birds-of-brey
Here we have Travel Foreman's hecka sweet pencils. Look at how classy this is. I want this all over my face this is so nice y'all.

http://www.dccomics.com/galleries/birds-of-prey-9-preview
Same pages, colored by some fucking hack. This is a fucking mess. Goddamn ridiculous. Terribad. Gosh dang.

Oh my. Thta is... so bad.

Yikes.

Today in comic book lessons : How not to color a book, with Birds of Prey #9.

http://www.dccomics.com/blog/2012/04/25/artist-travel-foreman-on-birds-of-brey
Here we have Travel Foreman's hecka sweet pencils. Look at how classy this is. I want this all over my face this is so nice y'all.

http://www.dccomics.com/galleries/birds-of-prey-9-preview
Same pages, colored by some fucking hack. This is a fucking mess. Goddamn ridiculous. Terribad. Gosh dang.

How can you even tell? The preview is so tiny.

I think the art looks pretty great actually...

I'll second what Kwiston said, because the book is VERY accessible, and properly (re) introduces all it's characters and ideas to new or lapsed readers.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom