• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

COMICS!!! |OT| April 2017 - Now Featuring Superstar Artist Brett Booth - APRIL FOALS!

The worst part of all this is what happens in SamCap.
We have one of our symbols of freedom, liberty, and heroism turn out to be a corrupted symbol of subjugation and control (different methods, same end goal), and our other one just gives up.

Dalek

We have one of our symbols of freedom, liberty, and heroism turn out to be a corrupted symbol of subjugation and control (different methods, same end goal), and our other one just gives up.

I agree-I was hoping this would pan out with Sam being the one to rally everyone against this but it definitely doesn't seem that way at all.

Picking yourself up one of these then? Hehe.

But yeah I'm excited. I'll stick to the omnibuses for now and then pick up the off ones later. Or maybe just to my damndest to catch up to the current run. (Two rebirths btw? wtf?)
Just go through all of John's run. Pre N52 Green lantern corps that started up around the same time is also really good. I'm not sure how much of that makes it in the omnibus.

mreddie

SamCap = Dems
SteveCap = Reps

I like 50% of that. The other one is very much a "but y tho?" kind of moment.

Because Steve wants to cut off loose ends?

ElNarez

Banned
"But Hickman blew up the Earth and there was sign everything was gonna be okay..." - Nick

a) wait did he really say that
b) also, how the fuck dare he, it was known Battleworld was untenable not just because of the metanarrative, but because Hickman had done the work to seed points of failure to bring about Doom's demise and universal rules that would explain how the universe after would be built (Doom being actually shitty at ruling was even explored in his Fantastic Four run), which there's been none of in the build to Secret Empire
c) and, incidentally, fuck him for trying to use Hickman and Weaver's S.H.I.E.L.D. to justify the argument that Hydra aren't nazis, because, sorry, but you can't walk back being a goddamn nazi

mreddie

a) wait did he really say that
b) also, how the fuck dare he, it was known Battleworld was untenable not just because of the metanarrative, but because Hickman had done the work to seed points of failure to bring about Doom's demise and universal rules that would explain how the universe after would be built (Doom being actually shitty at ruling was even explored in his Fantastic Four run), which there's been none of in the build to Secret Empire
c) and, incidentally, fuck him for trying to use Hickman and Weaver's S.H.I.E.L.D. to justify the argument that Hydra aren't nazis, because, sorry, but you can't walk back being a goddamn nazi

I don't know, he's in "LET ME TELL MY STORY" mode now.
Spencer has been playing HYDRA aren't Nazis thing since the shit started. Meanwhile the same week he talks about HYDRA going back centuries, Agents of SHIELD basically called them nazis.

I agree-I was hoping this would pan out with Sam being the one to rally everyone against this but it definitely doesn't seem that way at all.

It seems like Sam is becoming an underground resistance leader if the tie-ins indicate anything. So I'm betting he will, but Sam has had so much pushback in-universe, and now the "one true Cap" has been revealed to be Hydra. So will anyone even trust the image of Captain America again?

SamCap = Dems
SteveCap = Reps

Because Steve wants to cut off loose ends?

That's fair.
I don't know, he's in "LET ME TELL MY STORY" mode now.
Spencer has been playing HYDRA aren't Nazis thing since the shit started. Meanwhile the same week he talks about HYDRA going back centuries, Agents of SHIELD basically called them nazis.

The problem with this, and I'll defend this one: In the MCU, Hydra legitimately spawned out of the Nazi Science Division. From the very beginning, it was a Nazi group. In the comics, at least for awhile, Hydra was only a Nazi group under Red Skull's control, which hasn't always been the case. In all other circumstances, it's just a general supervillain SHIELD counterpart with some generic Old Ones imagery.

The new Nick Fury #1 by Robinson/Aco has nothing interesting going on plot wise but is gorgeous and has some dope colors and spreads

This is what I thought the book would end up being. The art really is amazing though, the previews so far have have just been whaaaat.

I think that FCBD spoiler is hilarious lol I kind of want to read how it gets there

This is what I thought the book would end up being. The art really is amazing though, the previews so far have have just been whaaaat.

I think that FCBD spoiler is hilarious lol I kind of want to read how it gets there

Ha ha I remember you calling that Nick Fury book actually

And yeah I'm in kind of the same place with it. Too far gone to come back now anyway

I find it interesting how there has been no CMX sales to tie-in to SE with Cap books on sale or something. Nothing. Just Age of Apocalypse and GotG sales.

Thank you for saying this. At this point, I feel bad to be still very interested how all this Cap stuff turns out...

Spencer just really loves mysteries within mysteries even when he has no idea where it's going or why, he wrote Morning Glories and worships Lost lol. His writing is basically Hydra incarnate, he always loses at the end, but the getting there can be exciting. Some of this stuff, allies rewriting history, the spoiler thing, is exciting if you don't think too deeply about it haha.

Ha ha I remember you calling that Nick Fury book actually

And yeah I'm in kind of the same place with it. Too far gone to come back now anyway

haha. I am also now googling OG btw. Two thing jumped out at me "Peter, whose life's ambition is to become a garbageman" & "the children descend through a secret trapdoor into a strange underground world of mushrooms". I'm sold! I enjoyed that convo that came up last night, good stuff

Diverging from this Cap stuff, can you guys think of any team members that bring nothing to the table as far as being relative to the team goes? Carol in Ultimates and Garth in Titans are the big standouts for me right now. Both in personality and power set. I mean, Garth at least has a good power set, but never uses it. Or just does dumb shit because his personality begins and ends at "magic Atlantean."

Also Hercules in Avengers. I like him, I do, but come on dude.

Diverging from this Cap stuff, can you guys think of any team members that bring nothing to the table as far as being relative to the team goes? Carol in Ultimates and Garth in Titans are the big standouts for me right now.

Will the mutant with the "I learn languages" power please stand up

error4041

I think this was how Spencer justified HydraCap
Still being able to lift Thor's Hammer
a8c.jpg

error4041

I won't be reading Secret Empire until it's put in a collection. I feel like this is a story that is easier to swallow if you can read the whole thing in one sitting versus fighting about the themes of HydraCap on the internet for 4 months assuming no delays.

I wonder how crazy the shenanagins will get over the course of Secret Empire we already have the Allies using the cosmic cube to win WWII after they lost WWII, and we now have HydraCap
being worthy of Thor's Hammer when Thor isn't worthy of Thor's hammer.
And we aren't even on Issue #1 yet!

duckroll

The problem with this, and I'll defend this one: In the MCU, Hydra legitimately spawned out of the Nazi Science Division. From the very beginning, it was a Nazi group. In the comics, at least for awhile, Hydra was only a Nazi group under Red Skull's control, which hasn't always been the case. In all other circumstances, it's just a general supervillain SHIELD counterpart with some generic Old Ones imagery.

AoS has completely retconned the origins of Hydra from the MCU's starting point in CA:TFA though. They're basically taking the comics route too - where Hydra as it was known under Red Skull was just the WW2 iteration of a secret organization that has existed for centuries under different names and guises. But in the end they still recognize it as a Nazi organization because even with older roots, what attracted Nazis to it is that it shares much of the same values.

error4041

It would be amazing if Thor and Captain America decided to change places, Captain America takes the hammer to help clear his head after all the Hydra fuckery and goes on cosmic adventures fighting Thor's villains and leading Asgardian armies. While Thor wants a break from moping about being unworthy so he takes over the Captain America mantle for a while, dealing with spies, red tape, Shield's fuck-ups and stepping up to the challenge of being someone people aspire to be instead of being the muscle that the Avengers because they don't want the Hulk at the moment.

Zombine

Banned
I don't know why people are so worried about Captain Hydra.

Sooner or later Captain America will be restored anyway.

It's the fact that he's a Jewish created American superhero who was created as an outlet to fight facism who is currently being written by a guy who is saying that he was always secretly a part of Hydra (which, regardless of whatever changes they made, was spun out of a Nazi science division in the comics), during a time where white nationalism is visible in the United States, and it reads like it's a story written for those people, by a person with really sketchy personal views and a company with ties to a pro-Trump (I.e. Racist and crazy as fuck) supporter in Ike Pearlmutter. It's super trashy, and it's not even written particularly well.

It reminds me of during the republican rallies when those "waves" were being thrown up, and the retort was always "No you've got it all wrong! It's not a Nazi salute! It's just a wave! 😉😉😉" this story is "Oh, it's not white nationalist propaganda, it's a comic book story! 😉😉😉"

It's absolute filth and legit gutter trash.

dan2026

It's the fact that he's a Jewish created American superhero who was created as an outlet to fight facism who is currently being written by a guy who is saying that he was always secretly a part of Hydra (which, regardless of whatever changes they made, was spun out of a Nazi science division in the comics), during a time where white nationalism is visible in the United States, and it reads like it's a story written for those people, by a person with really sketchy personal views and a company with ties to a pro-Trump (I.e. Racist and crazy as fuck) supporter in Ike Pearlmutter. It's super trashy, and it's not even written particularly well.

It reminds me of during the republican rallies when those "waves" were being thrown up, and the retort was always "No you've got it all wrong! It's not a Nazi salute! It's just a wave! 😉😉😉" this story is "Oh, it's not white nationalist propaganda, it's a comic book story! 😉😉😉"

I see what you are saying. And I agree that characters like Captain America should be fighting for truth and justice, now more than ever.

I don't know about Spencer's 'sketchy personal views' though.
Has he done something I don't know about.

Sandfox

I really don't get how you can say this is a story for white nationalists when Steve is being marketed nad written as the villain and will be taken down by a diverse group of heroes.

GAMEPROFF

Banned
Zero way Cap and Hydra is going to go out of this with success. No one who is not a Nazi would be so stupid to write a story like that right now. And despite "sketchy views" (Arguing that you should not punch a nazi on twitter doesnt make you a nazi, it makes you in the worst case an idiot), I also see no indications that this is the case. I get that we have reason to be upset, but he wrote a black Captain America now for years, which was celebrate by the people in this thread.

Zombine

Banned
I really don't get how you can say this is a story for white nationalists when Steve is being marketed nad written as the villain and will be taken down by a diverse group of heroes.

He's done, literally, everything right thus far. He's always one step ahead because he's the powerful, intelegent, perfect white male specimen.

I mean shit, #0 ends with
Tony trying to assemble the remaining heroes that Steve didn't leave in space to be killed at the White House, only to have Steve already know that he was going to assemble them there so he's already going to launch an attack.

Intentionally or not, all this story acts as is for fuel for the racists that are reading comics, in an industry that is always under fire for issues with diversity and sexism.

caliph95

Zero way Cap and Hydra is going to go out of this with success. No one who is not a Nazi would be so stupid to write a story like that right now. And despite "sketchy views" (Arguing that you should not punch a nazi on twitter doesnt make you a nazi, it makes you in the worst case an idiot), I also see no indications that this is the case. I get that we have reason to be upset, but he wrote a black Captain America now for years, which was celebrate by the people in this thread.
An open liberal Cap book in which while the hero didn't like the violence sympathises with the the protest.

I keep seeing some people painting Spencer as something he's not because from Sam book it's clear he doesn't condone anything HydraCap and Hydra does. Regardless of the stupid twitter beefs

Top Bottom