• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

COMICS!!! |OT| August 2017 | Gwenpool's milkshake brings all the boys to the yard

It's a big solo effort

tumblr_o1c8lmYKTY1uzfcjzo2_540.gif

Vibranium

Banned
Generations could be fun. I know they had a book together, but Sam and Rich should have a story.

I should check out that Power Rangers book, the fact that it has the original and best team is great. Just need the Green Ranger to appear, Tommy's AFK again!

Most of the comics I've been trying to get from the library are too new. I guess I need to do some research first before I walk all the way there. I hope they have these Jem comics.

Sandfox

Apparently, I have no fucking idea what is going on at Marvel right now.

Basically Generations is a weekly story that will have an effect on the respective characters for Legacy as they interact with with their predecessors. It ends the same week the Legacy one-shot releases and it takes place during Secret Empire in the "Vanishing Point", which will be explained in the event.

Worse? EMPIRE 9/10 is supposed to tell us how they ended up there.

The milkshake thing is aimed at wrong people, it should be the marketing and head editors getting shit but no one will do it.

That's messed up, but those people get harassed too.

How are people feeling about Venomverse so far?

The Edge of Venomverse books are doing absolutely nothing for me, and I'm not sure if the "Every Venom Ever!" hook is going to be able to coast along the same way Spider-Verse did.

Aizo

Banned
I look forward to hearing which of those Jack Kirby memorial comics I should read.
I am really not ready for the releases this month at all. There are a bunch of things I need to read before! Ahhh!

I'm upset that the OT was one I didn't suggest.

Oh well. I'll forever have The Manhattan Project.
So reading the Johns Flash Omnibuses and wow why isn't Wally pushed!?. Would have loved to see him instead of Barry taking his characteristics in the show. Finished the first omnibus and I'm currently going through the 2nd. I love how he really is a hero of the people. I can see how that JL episode where he talks to Trickster and fights the rogues took queues from this run.
Welcome to every fan of Wally ever.

Barry sucks. He's just bad. If he isn't boring, he's breaking the universe so it can be Humpty Dumpty'd again.
I love and hate the Justice League cartoon.

I love it to death, but re-watching it this time around has made me realize that I'm really not fond of their portrayal of Superman. Like, shit I forgot how just purely petty he was. Like goddamn.

Remember when CW2/IvX both ran at the same time and then IvX/MU?
IvX is best event.

Seriously. Everything that happened made sense given what built up to it.

The Edge of Venomverse books are doing absolutely nothing for me, and I'm not sure if the "Every Venom Ever!" hook is going to be able to coast along the same way Spider-Verse did.
I liked the first, didn't like the second, haven't read the third.

Sandfox

Next year, a second ongoing series will debut called “Flash: Speed Force;” This series will feature currently absent Flash-related heroes like Wally West, Bart Allen, Jesse Quick, and XS, Bart Allen’s cousin and Barry Allen’s granddaughter from the future. There were no other details revealed on the panel, other than the fact that Johns is impatient to get to it, as is apropos of a writer for “The Flash;”

It's too bad this never happened and the Flash family got screwed over instead.

I don't them to be harassed, just someone tell them stop relaunching series that don't need it.

2018 will be interesting for them given the rumors and what we know.

Nah I'm just joking.

I didn't think it was bad and it played out better than I thought it would, though. Like, a lot better.
You set the bar really low then?
I though that MU was a good popcorn summer blockbusters event for it was trying to do. By no means it's great but it doesn't really do the things that most Marvel events do nowadays.

Aizo

Banned
On Sunday I went to Jinbōchō, a neighborhood I like that's famous for its (mostly used) bookstores. I found a couple trades I wanted, and then my Japanese friend wanted to go to the comic book store in Akihabara—I ended up buying this variant for Astonishing X-Men... I never buy floppies.
Code:
[IMG]https://pbs.twimg.com/media/DF_KVPbVYAA9IbI.jpg[/IMG][IMG]https://pbs.twimg.com/media/DF_KVPZVwAU58fm.jpg[/IMG]
[IMG]https://pbs.twimg.com/media/DF_KVPaVYAAE5d4.jpg[/IMG]
I grew up reading Johns' Teen Titans in elementary school and watching the cartoon, and I've also read the 190~ (?) issues buy Wolfman (I love that fucking name), but I have some pretty hefty gaps in my Titans knowledge, so I wanted to fill those in before reading Titans Hunt (which I was already putting off) and all my Teen Titans comics I bought during the recent DC sale.

Has anyone read The Titans vol. 1 and 2 runs? I don't have any way to access it for a reasonable amount of money, so I think I'll be reading summaries online. Same for New 52 Teen Titans (except I did read some of it when it was going, and it was fucking awful. I just want to know what happened). Also, I bought The Technis Imperative yesterday, which is a book with more cameos than I've ever seen before. I may even re-read Johns' run. I'm making so much more work for myself to read the comics that I bought hahaha.

I only bought #2 because it's basically a Gwenpool issue and Gwenpool is the best.

Aizo

Banned
While I'm talking about Teen Titans, Wolfman's run sure does become a mess. The whole first Wildebeest arc, when you consider what ends up happening to them, does not seem planned out at all. Who the hell does the original Wildebeest even end up being? I remember he has a chat in a hole with Nightwing but doesn't reveal who he is.

Also, the whole curve ball with Phantasm being Danny and then not Danny is confusing. And then the last arc is a huge mess. Raven sure is a horrible character for half of that series. Looking back, I see why people really only ever mention the great run as Wolfman and Perez's run.

Edit: I never read Team Titans. Terra II is what, just not a crazy person from another timeline? I don't recall.

Who is the Teen Titans scholar in this thread?

Fury451

Banned
That's not true. They have good books people love glossing over.

I'm enjoying several myself (hello Infamous Iron Man, Generation X, Weapon X), it's more on the whole their vision seems less focused than DC right now. There's still good individual books out. Having two (imo) flop events in short order is pretty disappointing- Venomverse as a concept isn't doing much for me either.

Messi

I'm enjoying several myself (hello Infamous Iron Man, Generation X, Weapon X), it's more on the whole their vision seems less focused than DC right now. There's still good individual books out. Having two (imo) flop events in short order is pretty disappointing- Venomverse as a concept isn't doing much for me either.

I've openly said their company wide direction is bad and in pieces but that doesn't stop them from having great books. See Gwenpool.

Messi

It seems like most of the good books are unconnected to the big garbled mess that is the company direction.

Bendis is writing books that are great that remain connected.

Spencer is trash tho

Aaron continues one of the best runs on Thor in the characters history.

Soule Daredevil, which I actually can't believe he turned around.

Sandfox

Marvel is being secretive about the future of the line.
It's a shame that Yost's run got cut so short. I really wanted to get to the Aracely story.
That book took too long to get started and there are a lot of people who didn't care for the lineup.

It seems like most of the good books are unconnected to the big garbled mess that is the company direction.
There really aren't that many books connected to the Standoff->SE direction.

Top Bottom