• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

COMICS!!! |OT| August 2017 | Gwenpool's milkshake brings all the boys to the yard

Messi

Never read either. Original is the one people love?

Both are great, start with the first. Eventually you will get to the second series and learn to love Strix. The greatest of us all.

cfcbf81ed193961b91d9f0764c4fc126.jpg

Strix is from Gail Simone's Batgirl run and she also writes Secret Six.

Wanderer5

Still really good, though.
Code:
[IMG]https://68.media.tumblr.com/fe04d23bb0ef669c96ee5273a40df95f/tumblr_nrp2749yOl1rctwmjo1_1280.png[/IMG]

Yeah, but shame the original run isn't on sale also, cause it is pretty damn good from what I read of it so far.

I probably wait out on checking out the new 52 series later. Also, was Strix involved with the Court of Owls?

Yeah, but shame the original run isn't on sale also, cause it is pretty damn good from what I read of it so far.

I probably wait out on checking out the new 52 series later. Also, was Strix involved with the Court of Owls?
She's a former Talon that broke free and wants to be a normal girl. She was introduced in Simone's Batgirl run, which I've recently started reading and rather enjoy. Though it is incredibly dark.

Messi

She's a former Talon that broke free and wants to be a normal girl. She was introduced in Simone's Batgirl run, which I've recently started reading and rather enjoy. Though it is incredibly dark.

The bit where they are getting dressed to go undercover :(. I love Strix I just want to hug her.

Wanderer5

Yeah thought so with that appearance.:p

I don't know if I will get around to Simone's Batgirl run, even if it great.

The bit where they are getting dressed to go undercover :(. I love Strix I just want to hug her.
Code:
[IMG]http://1.bp.blogspot.com/-OFYP-pXBxl8/VnIdAsgsmZI/AAAAAAAAEjQ/GUuJhhESX8M/s1600/secsix05.PNG[/IMG]
TOO dark. It's good, though.

I was not expecting some of the shit that happens in the first trade. Like oh my god. People being murdered because of PTSD. Like the Inception of dark trauma.

Messi

Code:
[IMG]http://1.bp.blogspot.com/-OFYP-pXBxl8/VnIdAsgsmZI/AAAAAAAAEjQ/GUuJhhESX8M/s1600/secsix05.PNG[/IMG]

I was not expecting some of the shit that happens in the first trade. Like oh my god. People being murdered because of PTSD. Like the Inception of dark trauma.

That callback made my day when I seen it. Such a small thing years later but so cool.

Secret Six second run a year or two after Simone wrote the scene about her being given the dress.

Nevermind. I was processing that different. When you said callback, I thought the stuff with the prom dress from that run (which I've read all of) was a callback to something else. For some reason.

I also like Big Shot.

5848500-img_3845.jpg

Oh for sure. I only disliked Catman and Ventriloquist. The former because they made him too "catlike" for my taste, but even then he was fine. The latter because, well, she's a piece of shit. An uninteresting piece of shit, no less.

Porcelain, Strix, Big Shot, and Black Alice are all great.

Aizo

Banned
I'm confused. You all keep saying the original run isn't on sale, but isn't this the original? Maybe nobody noticed because the trade isn't on sale.

OH! I get it! You can get these secret six Secret Six issues for six secret dollars!

Oh for sure. I only disliked Catman and Ventriloquist. The former because they made him too "catlike" for my taste, but even then he was fine. The latter because, well, she's a piece of shit. An uninteresting piece of shit, no less.

Porcelain, Strix, Big Shot, and Black Alice are all great.

I miss this Ventriloquist.

1419335-peyton_06.jpg

Oh, also the callback to the joke with
Catman impregnating women, in this case being the donor for Scandal, Knockout, and Liana. The first being his impregnation of Cheshire. I want to say there's a third instance, but I forget.

And this is part of the series that everyone loves most?

Yes. The collection volumes are as follows:

Villains United (Vol. 1)
Money for Murder (Vol. 2)
Cat's Cradle (Vol. 3)
Caution to the Wind (Vol. 4)

The second series:

Friends in Low Places (Vol. 1)
The Gauntlet (Vol. 2)

Aizo

Banned
Seems super weird that they'd leave out the continuation of the series in the sale. It's even listed as vol. 2. Odd.

Ragdoll is the best.

Bane
Catman
Deadshot
Jeannette
Cheshire
Scandal
Ragdoll
Black Alice
King Shark
Giganta
Parademon
Knockout
Dwarfstar
Fiddler
Tremor (the agent Waller sent to be their liason)

I believe I covered everyone. In that order. From best to worst.

Seems super weird that they'd leave out the continuation of the series in the sale. It's even listed as vol. 2. Odd.

I'm just listing off the volumes as I own them.

Bane
Catman
Deadshot
Jeannette
Cheshire
Scandal
Ragdoll
Black Alice
King Shark
Giganta
Parademon
Knockout
Dwarfstar
Fiddler

Dwarfstar deserves to be beneath everyone on this list.

VanWinkle

Bane
Catman
Deadshot
Jeannette
Cheshire
Scandal
Ragdoll
Black Alice
King Shark
Giganta
Parademon
Knockout
Dwarfstar
Fiddler

I would put Cheshire below Ragdoll and Scandal. But otherwise, good list.

Does Jeannette even exist in the new-52? Cause I really dig her a lot so far.
Yes. She appears in the second series.
Dwarfstar deserves to be beneath everyone on this list.
Even Fiddler?
I would put Cheshire below Ragdoll and Scandal. But otherwise, good list.

I re-read it all recently, and I personally found Cheshire to be underutilized, but I really liked her as the wildcard. I didn't much care for the pull with
Ragdoll at the end having no soul and becoming a prince of Hell, but it does make sense. Throughout the run Ragdoll says and does messed up stuff, and people frequently point it out. Not only that, but he frequently states that he doesn't understand why 90% of stuff that is said and done throughout the series is as messed up as it is. You're never sure if he's ever joking or not, and when you find out he has no soul, everything makes sense. Especially when you consider his pedigree, though my problem is A) it feels like it makes a largely comic relief character suddenly placed into a position of great power as a central messianic figure, and B) it makes the question throughout the series of "nature vs nurture" irrelevant, as he never had control anyways and has no soul and will become the prince of Hell.

BrightLightLava

Unconfirmed Member
I liked Peter Parker #2 a lot more than the first issue. It's rare that a book makes me laugh out loud.

I feel like Zdarsky is getting into more of a groove as a writer. I didn't love Howard the Duck, but his Jughead was good and so is this.

Also, he cracks me up regularly on twitter. I love how everyone gives him a hard time.

Aizo

Banned
Nobody responded earlier.
Do we have a resident Teen Titans expert?
Oh no. It's going to be me, isn't it?

Li Kao

Hey, Suicide Squad is pretty good ! A little unexpected, I just started reading it because of the Justice League crossover that I have to read next and... it's really good fun.
Granted, after Justice League everything would look good.

Oh btw what the fuck is this about Generation ?
I planned to make those titles a starting on point for Marvel and you are telling me they are tied to Secret Empire ?

Sandfox

Hey, Suicide Squad is pretty good ! A little unexpected, I just started reading it because of the Justice League crossover that I have to read next and... it's really good fun.
Granted, after Justice League everything would look good.

Oh btw what the fuck is this about Generation ?
I planned to make those titles a starting on point for Marvel and you are telling me they are tied to Secret Empire ?
They're related, but I don't think reading Secret Empire is required based on what we know. Legacy is supposed to be the jumping on point rather than Generations though.

Didn't Ellis promise no delays or hiatus'? Shall I get my pitchfork? I'm sure I can take a couple of days off work! You can take pitchforks on trains right?

Top Bottom