• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

COMICS!!! |OT| December 2016. Motor Girl is my new Motor Crush

Foofaraw

So, I tried an issue of Heavy Metal...

Halloween issue had some good stuff. It had a lot of artists I was not aware of that are super rad. The comics, though. Woof. Weird Morrison Noir Cat detective story. Lots of short "horror" stories that are basically throw away ideas. No good.

Batman Annual 1, on the other hand. Hot fire. So many warm smiles. Except for the Dini, Adams story. That was more of a garbage fire. Possibly due to Harley Quinn and some really really terrible work from Neal Adams. The other stories were great.

PsychBat!

Banned
We all love and adore Carol? Now you'll think we're all gonna get Dead Rising 4 next week or that sillymonkey will come back.

Halloween issue had some good stuff. It had a lot of artists I was not aware of that are super rad. The comics, though. Woof. Weird Morrison Noir Cat detective story. Lots of short "horror" stories that are basically throw away ideas. No good.

Was that the issue with the weird sci-fi sex story?

Locke and Key?

Holy shit! LOCKE AND KEY! I'm ridiculously hyped for that. What an amazing comic. Twisted AF.

Y'all talking about Captain Marvel when new Locke and Key is dropping. Maybe comics weren't a mistake.

mreddie

Locke and Key?

Holy shit! LOCKE AND KEY! I'm ridiculously hyped for that. What an amazing comic. Twisted AF.

Y'all talking about Captain Marvel when new Locke and Key is dropping. Maybe comics weren't a mistake.

Locke is about the much lored Small Key. This is gonna be interesting.

Messi

Locke and Key?

Did Locke and Key win book of the month on here? Maybe it's final issue?

Ok, holy shit, Kingsglaive really is important to watch before playing FFXV. Some really important events happen that I can't imagine is well explained in the game.

Locke is about the much lored Small Key. This is gonna be interesting.

I'm stoked.

Did Locke and Key win book of the month on here? Maybe it's final issue?

GAF monthly comic awards were as accurate as a Donald Trump tweet. Nobody misses seeing Harley fans stuff the ballot for their queen.

We needed superdelegates. RIP monthly comics awards, nobody misses you.

Foofaraw

Was that the issue with the weird sci-fi sex story?

With the tubes on the groins, but not over any part which would appear to be stimulating, and everything is broken up into panels but really all just one picture? Yes. That one. I stared at that for a long time, but could not figure out what the hell was going on. I think the explosion is an orgasm, but beyond that, I have no clue what was supposed to be going on. Any insights on that pastel dream sequence?

Messi

That Locke and Key issue should not say #1. It's a 24 page one shot. So that's a tad disappointing.

Syder

kKtjeMT.png

Aliens: Life and Death #4 By Abnett, Moritat (Dec 21st) - As the Colonial Marines on LV-223 prepare to make their last stand against the xenomorph horde, their one hope may lie in the Alien queen!
Aliens vs. Predator: Life and Death #1 By Abnett, Thies (Dec 28th) - The Predators arrive on LV-223! The question is: are they here to finish the fight with the Colonial Marines, or will they join the marines in the battle against the Aliens? And who will Ahab—the Predator from the Fire and Stone story cycle—side with?
So what's the best way to get into the Alien/AVP/Predator/Prometheus comics?
Is it worth going back to the Fire and Stone series (or even further)? What's the best order to read through them all?

So what's the best way to get into the Alien/AVP/Predator/Prometheus comics?
Is it worth going back to the Fire and Stone series (or even further)? What's the best order to read through them all?

The Fire and Stone library edition is great and well worth picking up. It even has a nice bonus section with some really nice concept art. As for the current books, I'm still catching up on the Prometheus and Aliens Life and Death minis, but Aliens: Defiance is a great series and should probably be your top priority. There will also be a Life and Death library edition at some point just like Fire and Stone got, so reading now or later is purely a matter of how patient you want to be.

Syder

Buy dis thing
The Fire and Stone library edition is great and well worth picking up. It even has a nice bonus section with some really nice concept art. As for the current books, I'm still catching up on the Prometheus and Aliens Life and Death minis, but Aliens: Defiance is a great series and should probably be your top priority. There will also be a Life and Death library edition at some point just like Fire and Stone got, so reading now or later is purely a matter of how patient you want to be.
and this F&S edition is all in the 'best order'? I heard the issues aren't released in chronological order. Is there a guide for this anywhere?

Sandfox

hm, last post in the last thread

jean grey sucks and should have stayed dead

IMO If they're just going to keep trying to replace her with knockoffs I would rather have an actual Jean. I haven't read enough of normal Jean to have an opinion of her though.

and this F&S edition is all in the 'best order'? I heard the issues aren't released in chronological order. Is there a guide for this anywhere?

The Library Edition has the minis ordered: Prometheus, Aliens, AvP, Predator, and then Prometheus: Omega, which was the conclusion.

Yeah old Jean was really bad

Young Jean was fun under Bendis (except for that one thing you're already thinking of replying to this post with). I still think Trial of Jean Grey was awesome, that might be the only truly great Bendis Guardians story in fact. She hasn't been so great in ExX. Hopefully the next person finds the fun with that character again.

Batman Annual 1, on the other hand. Hot fire. So many warm smiles. Except for the Dini, Adams story. That was more of a garbage fire. Possibly due to Harley Quinn and some really really terrible work from Neal Adams. The other stories were great.

Yeah I liked almost all the stories too. The Harley story was trash, of course. And the last story was kinda weird.

I read the first story as I was reading this thread which made the last page hysterical

IMO If they're just going to keep trying to replace her with knockoffs I would rather have an actual Jean. I haven't read enough of normal Jean to have an opinion of her though.

I don't have an opinion on Young Jean, but her revival after the Dark Phoenix Saga is awful and screws up a lot of stuff. There's an awful retcon of the Phoenix Force that tries really hard to ruin the DPS, but primarily it really screws up Cyclops' character. It looks like Claremont was going to create a conflict of being an X-Men vs. being a husband/father but that all gets thrown out the window because Jean is back and is his true love. As in like "my wife and son are dead but I need Jean so whatever."

Sandfox

Yeah old Jean was really bad

Young Jean was fun under Bendis (except for that one thing you're already thinking of replying to this post with). I still think Trial of Jean Grey was awesome, that might be the only truly great Bendis Guardians story in fact. She hasn't been so great in ExX. Hopefully the next person finds the fun with that character again.

Yeah I liked almost all the stories too. The Harley story was trash, of course. And the last story was kinda weird.

I read the first story as I was reading this thread which made the last page hysterical
Between X-Men Blue and the Jean Grey ongoing the character is going to have plenty of opportunity lol.

Sandfox

But let’s be real for a second: Not every young mutant is X-Men material. And it’s downright irresponsible to send those kids into battle. Like Cypher. Remember him? His mutant ability was that he spoke a bunch of languages. Of course he died.
Is it wrong that I laughed?

It's interesting to see this character return. I wouldn't be surprised if he was a key player in one of the ongoings spinning out of Monsters Unleashed.

MG310

Incredibly bad night of Overwatch.

Now watching Christmas classic Batman Returns and avoiding that Capullo thread.

Really struggling to finish Like Cage. When are they going to start making these seasons ten episodes. Every single time they collapse in the back half.

Hellboy has one in January

Last year's special was alright, really liked the little short with Tim Sale on art about Gall Dennar, pretty funny. Winter Specials etc are odd to collect but I like the idea too.

Locke and Key?

Haha, I get excited when one of these one shots drops because it's one step closer towards them being collected, but otherwise just one big tease. Thats...3? now right? So maybe soooonish. I'm not sure if they're extra length issues though. They're doing a special HC thing for this one shot which is cool.

It's interesting to see this character return. I wouldn't be surprised if he was a key player in one of the ongoings spinning out of Monsters Unleashed.

Really hope those two books have good creative teams, I want to get behind that kind of thing from Marvel, monsters unleashed looks very fun.

Sandfox

Last year's special was alright, really liked the little short with Tim Sale on art about Gall Dennar, pretty funny. Winter Specials etc are odd to collect but I like the idea too.

Haha, I get excited when one of these one shots drops because it's one step closer towards them being collected, but otherwise just one big tease. Thats...3? now right? So maybe soooonish. I'm not sure if they're extra length issues though. They're doing a special HC thing for this one shot which is cool.

Really hope those two books have good creative teams, I want to get behind that kind of thing from Marvel, monsters unleashed looks very fun.

R.L. Stine is writing a Marvel book, which could possibly be one of them. If we get an Elsa Bloodstone book I'm buying that for sure.

R.L. Stine is writing a Marvel book, which could possibly be one of them. If we get an Elsa Bloodstone book I'm buying that for sure.

Elsa Bloodstone sounds great, would need to be a good team though, I wouldn't read it with anyone. I could see RL Stine doing something with Kid Kaiju, it would be nice if that was a thing and something both my boy and I could enjoy together. Pretty cool that Lemire is writing the monster commandos in OML soon, I wouldn't mind Lemire on one of them. After Animal Man & his brief Frankenstein run, I think he'd fit well.

Really struggling to finish Like Cage. When are they going to start making these seasons ten episodes. Every single time they collapse in the back half.
The complaint should never be about the amount of episodes. It's on the showrunners and writers to ensure their storyline(s) is(are) long enough. Plain and simple. I'm watching Person of Interest right now and they manage to write 22 episode arcs just fine. Granted, I'm not disagreeing, but I've only felt the season length problem with Cage and JJ. And the latter was only because they should've been slower in the beginning instead of going as hard as they did. Cage is inexplicable. I blame Diamondback. Bottom line is that a lot of it is a simple solution. Those writers and showrunners know how many episodes they're working with. It's their own damn fault that they can't make that story work for that much time.

PsychBat!

Banned
The complaint should never be about the amount of episodes. It's on the showrunners and writers to ensure their storyline(s) is(are) long enough. Plain and simple. I'm watching Person of Interest right now and they manage to write 22 episode arcs just fine. Granted, I'm not disagreeing, but I've only felt the season length problem with Cage and JJ. And the latter was only because they should've been slower in the beginning instead of going as hard as they did. Cage is inexplicable. I blame Diamondback. Bottom line is that a lot of it is a simple solution. Those writers and showrunners know how many episodes they're working with. It's their own damn fault that they can't make that story work for that much time.

I looooooooove PoI.

That is fair. It has been my experience that shorter is better for shows that are so heavily serialized, and that's where my comment was coming from.

Like if we could do a bottle episode once or twice a season, I think that would be hugely beneficial to these shows. Any episode that even remotely feels like a bottle is like coming up for air. Like the Stick episode in DD S1, it was so nice for an episode to feel a little different for a change. And the fact that they don't do much of that makes me wonder if there is a mandated focus on the main storyline, and that may be hurting these shows in the context of a thirteen episode season. I haven't seen much of PoI but of what I can recall, I think there is some focus on "case of the week" eps, correct? Not just one big plodding story.

Shade the Changing Girl #2
All I can really say is that I don't think I've ever really been more compelled by high school drama than this book right here. Well, maybe Buffy, but otherwise it's pretty much this. And this is far, far more psychological than what I'd typically expect.

There's a few things that are interesting:
One big one is Shade getting rid of all the devices (laptop, phone, etc.). She states she doesn't need them, but she's not dumb. She knows exactly what they're for and probably how to use them. She has to realize almost immediately that Earth uses them as the primary form of communication. On top of that, she immediately knows how to work an old TV (which apparently only plays old shows). So I'm not sure I get it. I realize that she thinks that Earth is some kind of vacation, which is why she tries to get out of school. At the same time she seems to realize that she'll have to do it to fit in.

The human relationships are fairly interesting as well. We saw in #1 that
the parents and school were all fairly terrified by Megan's return. Wes, however, seems hurt by her not remembering. No one else seems to mind that she doesn't remember much, but it's interesting that Wes is actually hurt by a lack of feelings. He genuinely seems to be the only one who actually cares in a positive way. Everyone else either hates, fears, or is apathetic towards her. Teacup is another interesting character, because she's hiding from everyone on the team. Not just Megan, which implies the rest of the team bullies her all on their own (#1 showed everyone bullying Teacup at Megan's demands). This is a scary thought, especially considering the current team captain actually seems to want to deliver "consequences" to Megan, implying someone who wants to stand up to Megan's tyranny. Judging by Teacup's reactions, it's more just about power rather than anything else.

Good ass book. Very compelling and trippy. The visuals really help play up Shade's emotions, particularly confusion. It also helps that they're so damn beautiful.
I looooooooove PoI.
Part of the way througj S3 and daaaaaaaaamn this show keeps getting better.
That is fair. It has been my experience that shorter is better for shows that are so heavily serialized, and that's where my comment was coming from.

Like if we could do a bottle episode once or twice a season, I think that would be hugely beneficial to these shows. Any episode that even remotely feels like a bottle is like coming up for air. Like the Stick episode in DD S1, it was so nice for an episode to feel a little different for a change. And the fact that they don't do much of that makes me wonder if there is a mandated focus on the main storyline, and that may be hurting these shows in the context of a thirteen episode season. I haven't seen much of PoI but of what I can recall, I think there is some focus on "case of the week" eps, correct? Not just one big plodding story.
It starts that way at first, and while it still does cases, there is ALWAYS a major plot thread running in the background. One of several. While it gets a serialized focus later on, in doesn't change the fact that there are storylines that take multiple seasons to resolve and not once do they feel plodding because they are ALWAYS operating at a times. In fact, the cases start to in more and more. Introducing more major players or interconnecting with existing ones. JJ and DD lend themselves perfectly to that kind of show given their material.

Again, I don't disagree. Given how they're written, dropping an episode or two would be beneficial, but this is one of those cases where it's on them to better construct a story. Especially considering each episode is about an hour.

Top Bottom