• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

COMICS!!! |OT| July 2017 | Princess, I've Seen the Way You Look At Me.

When we get to the new thread, I will keep a list of posts that mention a comic that is either the best around or a best of certain genre.

Lists, eh?

giphy.gif

I'm so disappointed by Jimmy's Bastards. I love Ennis, and I don't have a problem with satirizing progressives. And I know what to expect from him, generally. But when he takes shots at concepts like microagression and creates a villainous organization called "the gender fluid," I get pretty damn uncomfortable. I don't think he really has any clue, here...looked up an interview about it and found this bit

source

That's a super bad look when applied to, say, someone asserting their gender (or lack thereof). And ugh what a tired argument about political correctness. I don't know what the hell he is doing here but I'm out.

This sounds disgusting.

that book does sound pretty lame but he's right that the word problematic actually bad

Using the word lame to describe something you think is in poor taste is problematic. Heh. Heh. But I would be curious as to why you don't like the word problematic.

I didn't like Hellboy, felt it was overwritten and the art early on was trashtier

Yes but, and hear me out on this, if you have lived all your life with an unknown longing for pancakes waiting to be unlocked, Hellboy just might be your book. Someone might come into the thread wanting to know this.

Sandfox

Sooo, I caught up with Amazing Spider-Man. And I have very mixed feelings.
The arc with Regent was very good, one of the better arcs in the last years of Slott doing stuff. I liked the banter with Stark, since all the Parker CEO stuff was clearly inspired by the early Iron Man stuff, I was very looking forward to this and I was satisfied.

The next trade, Dead No More was really bad. It has a lot of Bendis-Syndrom. Everyone sounded exactly the same. Everyone is half-jokingly all the time and it kills a lot of the suspense. And I just overall didnt cared what happened. Oh cool, JJJ Senior finally died and Aunt May is solo again. How terrible
(finally, I couldnt wait until this happened)
, oh Max Dillion was randomly killed to be replaced by a female Electro... Electra... Eh. Oh noes, so terrible, I guess she will be around for decades!

And then Clone Conspiracy started and yikes. Jackal was the worst. My issue with everyone having the same voice and banering and joking around continued. It was so horrible. Espescially for the Jackal. Given that he is the insane clone of the insane clone of the insane clone etc of Peter Parker, I can see what Slott was going for with him joking around all the time in the worst manner, but it felt really half assed. Also the Plot really didnt made much sense. Spider-Gwen and Kaine not telling Peter of the upcoming threat, because in other worlds, he helped the Jackal to clone around is just a big plothole. Just take him to Loomworld and show him what happened. Its not that difficult. You should know that "our" Peter Parker would not go for this after seeing this.
For me, there were only two highlights in this Event: Immonens AMAZING! and spectacular art and the great issue in Amazing Spider-Man, in which Peter has a talk with the Gwen-Clone.
I havent read the Silk Tie-In, since I will rather read the whole series since its now canceled, but the Prowler "Ongoing" was really shit. His Inner Monologues were so laughable, he sounded as if he was really deep in Spideys butt. "He acts like a complete idiot and against the guy for which I developed a hastingly developed motivation that makes no real sense, but hey Spidey cant be wrong!" No wonder this shit was canceled after Issue 6.

I really hope Slott is of with Issue 800. The series needs fresh blood. Desperatly.
Still, I am looking forwards the Osborn Arc. Hopefully, its not that bad.
Cheung drew Clone Conspiracy.

Invincible like most of Kirkman's work is bad.

I mean, if this is your honest opinion I can respect it. It's terrible and I'll ignore any other comic opinion you express in perpetuity, but I can respect it.

Next thing you know someone is going to say Hellboy is bad...

frye

This sounds disgusting.

Using the word lame to describe something you think is in poor taste is problematic. Heh. Heh. But I would be curious as to why you don't like the word problematic.

It's basically what Ennis identifies as the problem ("if you're gonna express disgust don't be polite about it"). The way it's often used obfuscates issues of racism/misogyny/whatever behind a word vague and non-specific enough that you don't have explain what you mean.

It's basically what Ennis identifies as the problem ("if you're gonna express disgust don't be polite about it"). The way it's often used obfuscates issues of racism/misogyny/whatever behind a word vague and non-specific enough that you don't have explain what you mean.

This is an interesting point.

If memory serves, *very early* hellboy does indeed become a bit too verbose sometimes, when mignolla is establishing the mythos, introducing anung un ranma 1/2, cosmic concepts and the like.

Eventually that phase passes, Mignolla firmly settles into Less Is More, and it becomes The Best Comic Ever (along with BZRPXD and the like)

also that rasputin pancake has been The Best Thing Ive Seen All Week (so far).

Phamit

I read the Edmondson and Noto Black Widow Run. I liked it a lot, except the Chaos reveal and the end of Chaos. I didn't felt right and wasn't really satisfying. Waid and Samnee is coming next.

Edit: Oh Hellboy Civil-War started. I didn't read any of it. yet.

If memory serves, *very early* hellboy does indeed become a bit too verbose sometimes, when mignolla is establishing the mythos, introducing anung un ranma 1/2, cosmic concepts and the like.

Eventually that phase passes, Mignolla firmly settles into Less Is More, and it becomes The Best Comic Ever (along with BZRPXD and the like)

Mmm going to have to disagree here, just a little. Not that it wasn't more wordy to begin with but I would disagree it's got anything to do with the introduction of the lore; presenting the lore in an opaque manner (and often through fanatical rambling villains lol) is really a hallmark of the book and something that continues throughout. Imo the first volume is more wordy in a very literal way because Mignola isn't the one scripting it, John Byrne is. Almost immediately following Seed Of Destruction you see that shift with Mike taking over.

Sou Da

Sooo, I caught up with Amazing Spider-Man. And I have very mixed feelings.
The arc with Regent was very good, one of the better arcs in the last years of Slott doing stuff. I liked the banter with Stark, since all the Parker CEO stuff was clearly inspired by the early Iron Man stuff, I was very looking forward to this and I was satisfied.

The next trade, Dead No More was really bad. It has a lot of Bendis-Syndrom. Everyone sounded exactly the same. Everyone is half-jokingly all the time and it kills a lot of the suspense. And I just overall didnt cared what happened. Oh cool, JJJ Senior finally died and Aunt May is solo again. How terrible
(finally, I couldnt wait until this happened)
, oh Max Dillion was randomly killed to be replaced by a female Electro... Electra... Eh. Oh noes, so terrible, I guess she will be around for decades!

And then Clone Conspiracy started and yikes. Jackal was the worst. My issue with everyone having the same voice and banering and joking around continued. It was so horrible. Espescially for the Jackal. Given that he is the insane clone of the insane clone of the insane clone etc of Peter Parker, I can see what Slott was going for with him joking around all the time in the worst manner, but it felt really half assed. Also the Plot really didnt made much sense. Spider-Gwen and Kaine not telling Peter of the upcoming threat, because in other worlds, he helped the Jackal to clone around is just a big plothole. Just take him to Loomworld and show him what happened. Its not that difficult. You should know that "our" Peter Parker would not go for this after seeing this.
For me, there were only two highlights in this Event: Immonens AMAZING! and spectacular art and the great issue in Amazing Spider-Man, in which Peter has a talk with the Gwen-Clone.
I havent read the Silk Tie-In, since I will rather read the whole series since its now canceled, but the Prowler "Ongoing" was really shit. His Inner Monologues were so laughable, he sounded as if he was really deep in Spideys butt. "He acts like a complete idiot and against the guy for which I developed a hastingly developed motivation that makes no real sense, but hey Spidey cant be wrong!" No wonder this shit was canceled after Issue 6.

I really hope Slott is of with Issue 800. The series needs fresh blood. Desperatly.
Still, I am looking forwards the Osborn Arc. Hopefully, its not that bad.
It's bad.

VanWinkle

Mmm going to have to disagree here, just a little. Not that it wasn't more wordy to begin with but I would disagree it's got anything to do with the introduction of the lore; presenting the lore in an opaque manner (and often through fanatical rambling villains lol) is really a hallmark of the book and something that continues throughout. Imo the first volume is more wordy in a very literal way because Mignola isn't the one scripting it, John Byrne is. Almost immediately following Seed Of Destruction you see that shift with Mike taking over.

Oh, if it's John Byrne, that says it all. The dude loves words.

Top Bottom