• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

COMICS!!! |OT| July 2017 | Princess, I've Seen the Way You Look At Me.

Finished up DC One Million today on my lunch break. Impressions didn't really change from my last post, and it had a nice satisfying conclusion and was a fun story all around. Probably my favorite event when it's all said and done. Only tie-ins I got were JLA and Hitman. JLA was good, no surprise there, and I haven't read Hitman yet but I expect it to be a blast if it's as good as the rest of the run.

This made me laugh too. Look how good the Earth looks here:
MG5dIj1.jpg

Didn't mention it on here but I read through Solid State by Matt Fraction and Albert Monteys the other day. I loved it. It's supposed to be based off of Jonathan Coulton's album of the same name, but Fraction and Monteys did an excellent job here. It's really hard to get into it with getting too spoilery, but it's about two men named Bob in different time periods in present-day and the future and the story kinda alternates between them and ultimately shows how they sync up. It's really good and really weird. Definitely something that warrants a reread IMO. I've never read a Fraction GN, so it was cool to see him flex a bit here. Always been a fan of his writing and this is worth checking out if you are too.

Oh, if it's John Byrne, that says it all. The dude loves words.

Haha right? I do actually quite like Seed Of Destruction, a lot of love for the story that started it all, but it palpably lacks that Mignola touch in the scripting. It's kind of a weird volume with Byrne writing and no Stewart on colors yet which really transforms the book in a big way.

I really gotta read that Fraction OGN, that feels like a book I'll forget and let slip by and it looks and sounds great.

mreddie

And now the assholes who started the harassment with the female Marvel editors suddenly say "WHERE'S THE EVIDENCE OF THESE CLAIMS"

Also, I never see DC get trashed for being "SJW"

Sandfox

And now the assholes who started the harassment with the female Marvel editors suddenly say "WHERE'S THE EVIDENCE OF THESE CLAIMS"

That's because people are mad that Marvel is pushing characters who aren't white straight males harder than certain characters who are and a lot of those fans think anything that doesn't appeal to them shouldn't exist(which is what we're seeing today). We'll see what the excuse is next year.

Ha ha ha, I will try it again sometime. Bought the first two library editions and could see the good but couldn't get into it at the time

Haha also on the flip side dude, as much as I think they are legit, I don't think it's outrageous for someone to read them and just not feel it, Mignola has some pretty specific influences both on the writing side and the art side. Especially if you read that second library edition, to me that is really prime stuff, you gave it a fair shake!

TWD 167 where
Andrea
bites the dust really serves to show just how much kirkman's storytelling has developed over these years. What a terrific issue

Mmm going to have to disagree here, just a little. Not that it wasn't more wordy to begin with but I would disagree it's got anything to do with the introduction of the lore; presenting the lore in an opaque manner (and often through fanatical rambling villains lol) is really a hallmark of the book and something that continues throughout. Imo the first volume is more wordy in a very literal way because Mignola isn't the one scripting it, John Byrne is. Almost immediately following Seed Of Destruction you see that shift with Mike taking over.

Ahh too true. All fair points. I didn't particularly enjoy Seed of Destruction, and had forgotten or failed to notice that.

I remember back in the day, Dwayne McDuffie got shit on from high heaven for making the Justice League "too black", because he added Vixen and Black Lightning.

This was the team, btw.

Messi

I remember back in the day, Dwayne McDuffie got shit on from high heaven for making the Justice League "too black", because he added Vixen and Black Lightning.

This was the team, btw.

For these people too black means anything more than 0 black characters.

Einchy

semen stains the mountaintops
Why was this thing in the very end of Hickman's Avengers omnibus?
Tj6Fxm7.jpg

I tried real hard to finish it but I had to stop. It was so bad.

Aizo

Banned
That milkshake controversy is so odd. What a thing to be set off by. I guess I'm happy that I can't begin to understand that thought process.
--

In other news, they have a physical copy of New Frontier at my comic shop (it's like the only good one in Tokyo), but it was the softcover one. I thought the printing wasn't amazing and the paper quality was low. Is the hardcover significantly different? I was planning on buying that, but now digital is more appealing after seeing that softcover...

Basically, McDuffie joined JLA and was stopped at every turn by DC editorial. This comic covers the major issues.

When fans asked on the official DC message boards about what was going on, he answered honestly over the course of many years. Johnston collected a whole bunch of the replies in Lying In The Gutters and published it, which made the posts far more visible than before.

So, DC fired McDuffie.

His statement at the time:

Nope, it was my own doing. I was fired when “Lying in the Gutters” ran a compilation of two years or so of my answers to fans’ questions on the DC Comics discussion boards. I’m told my removal had nothing to with either the quality of my work or the level of sales, rather with my revelation of behind-the-scenes creative discussions.

Sou Da

It's less visible because they're currently using DC as a hammer against Marvel but if you look into stuff like Batman discussions you'll find people all types of deranged shit said about Scott Snyder and Duke.

Sandfox

Jim Zubb posted on twitter that there is a reason why books like Uncanny Avengers don't have legacy numbering, but he can't talk about it without without spoiling future plans for the series. He's also working on a new Marvel book that he says is the highest profile book so far in his career. He tweeted that he was working on it with Alanna Smith(Avengers assistant editor) in response to today's crap so that kinda narrows down the possibilities a bit.

That milkshake controversy is so odd. What a thing to be set off by. I guess I'm happy that I can't begin to understand that thought process.
Marvel sales are bad all across the board for the past couple of months and certain people want to believe that Feminist and "SJWs" are to blame. Any book that looks like it's aimed at women and poc are "SJW" liberal nonsense. Let's not point the blame at Marvel marketing and terrible PR for not helping attract people to these books, let's blame the people who make them.

Jim Zubb posted on twitter that there is a reason why books like Uncanny Avengers don't have legacy numbering, but he can't talk about it without without spoiling future plans for the series. He's also working on a new Marvel book that he says is the highest profile book so far in his career. He tweeted that he was working on it with Alanna Smith(Avengers assistant editor) in response to today's crap so that kinda narrows down the possibilities a bit.

Ooo that's very intriguing

VanWinkle

Haha right? I do actually quite like Seed Of Destruction, a lot of love for the story that started it all, but it palpably lacks that Mignola touch in the scripting. It's kind of a weird volume with Byrne writing and no Stewart on colors yet which really transforms the book in a big way.

I doubt it's as insanely dense as his Fantastic Four, though. Man, it's taking me forever to read this thing. And I'm certainly not saying it's bad. The stuff in here is very good. It's just WAY too wordy.

j05J.jpg

I got to that last panel with two little word balloons and was like, "YEEESS."

Finished up DC One Million today on my lunch break. Impressions didn't really change from my last post, and it had a nice satisfying conclusion and was a fun story all around. Probably my favorite event when it's all said and done. Only tie-ins I got were JLA and Hitman. JLA was good, no surprise there, and I haven't read Hitman yet but I expect it to be a blast if it's as good as the rest of the run.

Awesome! It's one of my favorite events for sure. I wish you had read the omnibus. A lot of the tie-ins are good and feel like a part of the story instead of just this random little side nothing.

mreddie

Marvel sales are bad all across the board for the past couple of months and certain people want to believe that Feminist and "SJWs" are to blame. Any book that looks like it's aimed at women and poc are "SJW" liberal nonsense. Let's not point the blame at Marvel marketing and terrible PR for not helping attract people to these books, let's blame the people who make them.

It's marketing and stupid gimmick at fault but something something SJW

BBboy20

Basically, McDuffie joined JLA and was stopped at every turn by DC editorial. This comic covers the major issues.

When fans asked on the official DC message boards about what was going on, he answered honestly over the course of many years. Johnston collected a whole bunch of the replies in Lying In The Gutters and published it, which made the posts far more visible than before.

So, DC fired McDuffie.

His statement at the time:
What the holy fuck.

Messi

This abuse isn't a new thing. It's just that people are becoming more and more aware of it. More needs to be done to stamp it out.

I doubt it's as insanely dense as his Fantastic Four, though. Man, it's taking me forever to read this thing. And I'm certainly not saying it's bad. The stuff in here is very good. It's just WAY too wordy.

*horrendously verbose ff4 spread.xls*

I got to that last panel with two little word balloons and was like, "YEEESS."

Yknow, the saddest thing about that page is that, when the artist was given room to be expressive, in that there last panel, be nailed it. The look on Reed's eyes, the backdrop, the expression. All perfect. All conveying a whole lotta info.

Which obv shows that the editor was a fucking idiot and should've told the writer to fucking trust the artist he'd been paired with. Also that the writer failed to notice it too.

reminds me of early TWD.

Vyer

I would recommend the Starman tie in, particularly if you're familiar at all with Robinson's Starman run.

mreddie

A quote from that comic in 2009

This is why I’ve always preferred the Avengers, because the majority of their characters were nothing but Avengers. But with Marvel gearing towards having nothing but summer crossovers, it seems like tehy’re heading the same way.
If only we got the JSA over here.

8 years ago, BOY OH BOY

Top Bottom