• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

COMICS!!! |OT| July 2017 | Princess, I've Seen the Way You Look At Me.

VanWinkle

Back to reading the Daredevil by Waid run. Just about at the halfway point. Forgot how good it was! And Samnee is incredible of course.

Vic_Viper

Waid/Samne Captain America would be an awesome team for the book. It'll probably only last 1 arc but man, that would go a long way imo to redeeming the character.

Has Azreal played a role in Detective Comics lately? Or is this his first appearance since Rebirth?

LIST!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Totally forgot. Let's see what this week looks like...

Aliens Dead Orbit #3
Aquaman #26
Cave Carson #10
Green Lanterns #27
Wild Storm #6
TMNT Universe #12
Curse Words #6
I Hate Fairyland #14
Invincible #138
Ms. Marvel #20
Star Wars Darth Maul #5
Rapture #3
Secret Weapons #2

Sorry I asked. Bye bye monies.

The marriage was the worst thing to happen to Spider-Man.
Absolutely not. Killing the marriage is the worse thing they ever did to spidey. He should be in a position like Superman is with reberth. But nooooo we have to undo it all so he can be a single bum with pointless love interests that change when new writers show up

Absolutely not. Killing the marriage is the worse thing they ever did to spidey. He should be in a position like Superman is with reberth. But nooooo we have to undo it all so he can be a single bum with pointless love interests that change when new writers show up

Wasn't that DCs approach at one point? DiDio wanted everyone to be single and shit.

Stalk

Back to reading the Daredevil by Waid run. Just about at the halfway point. Forgot how good it was! And Samnee is incredible of course.

That run still has one of my favourite covers of all time:

detail.jpg

Read through Will Eisner's New York Life in the Big City over the weekend. This was great. A collection of his work from later in his career. I didn't know he wrote so much till late into the 90s! The books themselves are little short stories in the O. Henry vein or small vignettes and snapshots of people and/or inanimate objects in a big city . Funny, insightful, ironic and maybe even melodramatic at times but pieces like Sanctum or The Building will stick in your mind for a long time.

I've read some of Eisner's Spirit work and the art was always brilliant (as it is in this book) but it was really the writing that impressed me. I will have to track down his other work - The Contract With God trilogy looks interesting.

List!!
-------
The Wild Storm #6. Cant wait for the arc finale. Everything seems on the brink of blowing up.

You should. Especially if you stopped watching before Heaven Sent.

I stopped very early in the season. Maybe the second episode of the ghosts arc? I'll get around to it sometime.

Sandfox

Personally I think they should have never gotten married in the first place, but eh. Renew Your Vows gave MJ powers so she wouldn't be useless or a damsel in distress, but even then I think Peter being a parent is the actual interesting part with me not caring about the marriage. They waiting too long to kill a marriage they never liked and did on a whim and now people will always be upset about it.

Personally I think they should have never gotten married in the first place, but eh. Renew Your Vows gave MJ powers so she wouldn't be useless or a damsel in distress, but even then I think Peter being a parent is the actual interesting part with me not caring about the marriage. They waiting too long to kill a marriage they never liked and did on a whim and now people will never get over it.

So basically you just hate relationships.

And a hell of a reach saying the only reason they gave MJ powers was to not be useless or a damsel. Clearly it couldn't be an interesting wrinkle for them to explore as a couple and parents. To me There's so much more interesting avenues to explore with characters like Peter and Clark in marriages over the recycled girlfriend plots. No more of this "I've got to hide my secret from my GF to protect her!"

So I’m halfway through the Infinity event and not really feeling it. And I guess I’m not feeling it cause anything not Illuminati based I just don’t have a ton of interest in. Love the Black Guard and the designs for them though. Now I get the hype for those statues at D23.

So I'm halfway through the Infinity event and not really feeling it. And I guess I'm not feeling it cause anything not Illuminati based I just don't have a ton of interest in. Love the Black Guard and the designs for them though. Now I get the hype for those statues at D23.

I enjoyed Infinity though I felt the ending of the event fell a little flat. Marvel often has trouble sticking the landings of their events. I'm sure I mentioned it before, but after Infinity, when the Avengers books go into the Time Runs Out arc, there's a lot more Illuminati / Black Order action. So stick with it.

I enjoyed Infinity though I felt the ending of the event fell a little flat. Marvel often has trouble sticking the landings of their events. I'm sure I mentioned it before, but after Infinity, when the Avengers books go into the Time Runs Out arc, there's a lot more Illuminati / Black Order action. So stick with it.

Well I’m sticking with it cause I want to read Secret War anyway but that’s encouraging at least. I really hate Namor won’t be in Infinity War after reading this. I need someone for T’Challa to despise in the MCU.

Sandfox

So basically you just hate relationships.

And a hell of a reach saying the only reason they gave MJ powers was to not be useless or a damsel. Clearly it couldn't be an interesting wrinkle for them to explore as a couple and parents. To me There's so much more interesting avenues to explore with characters like Peter and Clark in marriages over the recycled girlfriend plots. No more of this "I've got to hide my secret from my GF to protect her!"

Me not liking one specific relationship doesn't mean I hate relationships lol. Also, marriage isn't a requirement to trust someone with your secret identity.

VanWinkle

Read through Will Eisner's New York Life in the Big City over the weekend. This was great. A collection of his work from later in his career. I didn't know he wrote so much till late into the 90s! The books themselves are little short stories in the O. Henry vein or small vignettes and snapshots of people and/or inanimate objects in a big city . Funny, insightful, ironic and maybe even melodramatic at times but pieces like Sanctum or The Building will stick in your mind for a long time.

I've read some of Eisner's Spirit work and the art was always brilliant (as it is in this book) but it was really the writing that impressed me. I will have to track down his other work - The Contract With God trilogy looks interesting.

Yeah, I really enjoyed this. Made me appreciate Eisner as an artist AND a writer. I mean, MAN his art holds up crazy well.

Ah well, War of Kings finished.

To Abnett's credit, he did eventually come to terms with the fact that Vulcan was an unsalvageable shitlord and embraced it. Getting fzarrked while shouting "OMEGA LEVEL, OMEGA LEVEL"? Yeah, that was pretty funny.

Also the crystal ronan thing, while way too rushed, was somewhat nice. As was karnak dropping a truthbomb on medusa.

Big Valerian sale just went up too.

It starts pretty rough, but i'd say 6-10 are a damn fine arc of comics (6, 7, 8 are basically each self-contained, and then 9 & 10 is a two part-er and generally considered the high point of the whole series). You could just do 9-10 alone, given the plot is pretty self-contained, but it helps to know the characters and see them develop over the previous books and makes those two more powerful.

At the same time, given the elevated prices on euro books, i'm not sure i'd recommend going all the way back to book 1. 1 & 2 especially are *rough*, and you can see them getting their feet underneath them and figuring it out in books 3-5 but they're not really necessary.

I might do a irregular video round ups of the Marvel Reading Order, not entirely sure. It's easy enough to splurge out erratic thoughts into words into a monthly thread on GAF... but opening that up onto the wider internets is another thing!

I'm bracing myself for the 22 issue run of Thor, which seems to be based around Infinity. So I'm now wondering if Infinity will appear in Avengers Infinity War.

That run still has one of my favourite covers of all time:

This is the most threatening I've ever seen Mole Man! I like it.

Top Bottom