• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

COMICS!!! |OT| July 2017 | Princess, I've Seen the Way You Look At Me.

So I finished the first Daredevil volume by Soule; it has some fantastic art and a nice story, but there are parts where I just felt something was missing. Like in the third issue, you're reading some thoughts by Matt and his thoughts on Tenfingers and the next page BAM you some random dudes getting powers. It was really strange and because of that the story doesn't flow. That's my only major gripe with it. Still enjoyed it. Because seriously, that art.

Btw, whats another great Daredevil story? I heard Brubakers run is great, but its out of print?
Frank Miller's run is one of the best runs Marvel has published. I can't recommend it enough, especially with Born Again and the Elektra stuff.

Bendis and Waid's runs were really good too. Daredevil is blessed with a lot of strong runs.

Messi

I keep seeing y'all mention Messi, why are you talking about a soccer/futball player?

Judy-Hopps-disneys-zootopia-39163044-297-303.jpg

VanWinkle

2a0FtNe.png

This is why Marvel is failing, cus they spend all their money on milkshakes.

I honestly don't think milkshakes are that great. Regular ice cream is way better.

Also, it's crazy how big this milkshake thing got after like two random people were being sexist idiots.

I honestly don't think milkshakes are that great. Regular ice cream is way better.

Also, it's crazy how big this milkshake thing got after like two random people were being sexist idiots.

There's a small community of these people because some dude is building up a following on youtube, little more than two randos

Also milkshakes are definitely better than regular ice cream. Sorry but it's true

VanWinkle

There's a small community of these people because some dude is building up a following on youtube, little more than two randos

Oh, okay. I just saw her reply to a couple of them and didn't see any other dumb replies. But I suppose that doesn't surprise me that there were more.

Who got fired at Marvel:
Today we have been told that Marvel Comics has let go their Executive Vice President and General Manager, Peter Philips, who has been at the comic book publisher since 2011. He joined that year as a Senior Vice President/General Manager, leading Marvel’s digital inroads into the web, apps and social media experiences for all Marvel lines of business.

So successful were those moves that he was promoted in 2013 to Executive Vice President/General Manager, where he oversaw the publisher’s whole digital media division, with the creation and management of web, app and social media experiences, the video games group and their developing of mobile/console/PC gaming franchises and the content distribution division, distributing TV, film and original video across digital and physical platforms such as The Defenders on Netflix.

However, he has now been let go by Marvel Comics. We have no further details, but Phillips has updated his LinkedIn account to reflect the change.

We have also been told that at the same time Phillips has been let go, he has been joined in redundancy by his number two at Marvel Comics, Kristin Vincent, who was appointed as Vice President of Digital Products in 2011, since when she has worked on Marvel Unlimited subscriptions, Marvel insider loyalty programmes, the Marvel kids website and Marvel’s Augmented Reality App.

Sadist

Frank Miller's run is one of the best runs Marvel has published. I can't recommend it enough, especially with Born Again and the Elektra stuff.

Bendis and Waid's runs were really good too. Daredevil is blessed with a lot of strong runs.
*reads story setting of Born Again*

Dayumn. That will be the next one on the list.

Currently going through a huge stretch of Thor in the reading order. Infinity has appeared, threaten to envelope all into darkness. Odin is naturally concerned and threatened to unsheathe is mighty sword, an act that will signal RAGNAROK!

I love cosmic Thor events as they're so insanely daft, they're amazing. This one is all-in too, it has Loki stealing Odin's ring and becoming king of Asgard for a little bit, Infinity being chaotic neutral, Thor being super, and a whole bunch of other crazy.

As a total side, it's really jarring reading these classic issues and then trying to read Bendis Ultimate books.

I can imagine that.

Who's your favorite character in Thor thus far? Can be main, villain, side etc.

Hercules! I'm sorry, but if I had to pick a true mainline Thor character, and I'd probably go with... it's a tough one as they've not really fleshed anyone out that much between the 1960s and 70s other than Thor, Loki and, in some ways, Odin. Sif has had a brief appearance but is nowhere near where I imagine she'll end up.

Volstagg, maybe.

You know, I have no idea. When I get issues like I've just had where Thor is allowed to be a Cosmic God doing this thing, I really like Thor. But when he's Earth side weeping over Jane Foster, and doing mundane stuff I really don't like Thor one bit. It'll be good to see how much the grow Thor and the supporting characters though, as he's the only hero other than Spider-man that seems to have an established supporting cast that mean something.

Who do you like?

This issue is the start of 20 or so issues of Thor where storylines that bleed into each well: http://cmro.travis-starnes.com/detail.php?idvalue=1094

Hercules! I'm sorry, but if I had to pick a true mainline Thor character, and I'd probably go with... it's a tough one as they've not really fleshed anyone out that much between the 1960s and 70s other than Thor, Loki and, in some ways, Odin. Sif has had a brief appearance but is nowhere near where I imagine she'll end up.

Volstagg, maybe.

You know, I have no idea. When I get issues like I've just had where Thor is allowed to be a Cosmic God doing this thing, I really like Thor. But when he's Earth side weeping over Jane Foster, and doing mundane stuff I really don't like Thor one bit. It'll be good to see how much the grow Thor and the supporting characters though, as he's the only hero other than Spider-man that seems to have an established supporting cast that mean something.

Who do you like?

This issue is the start of 20 or so issues of Thor where storylines that bleed into each well: http://cmro.travis-starnes.com/detail.php?idvalue=1094
Hercules was great back then! :D

Hercules was great back then! :D

Man, as soon as he appeared he become one of my favourite heroes, and then he disappeared again. He's everything I wanted Thor to be, just this unwitting God of power and strength caught out of time and place. Thor adapted too quickly for my liking and was accepted too readily too.

Hercules has currently been set as an outcast, and has just be found again with The Avengers trying to help him regain his memory and place within Olympus. Olympus is currently in ruin, with whatshischops trying to run the show...Ares! I'd pay to go back in time and give money to Marvel to do more Hercules and Thor team ups.

Man, as soon as he appeared he become one of my favourite heroes, and then he disappeared again. He's everything I wanted Thor to be, just this unwitting God of power and strength caught out of time and place. Thor adapted too quickly for my liking and was accepted too readily too.

Hercules has currently been set as an outcast, and has just be found again with The Avengers trying to help him regain his memory and place within Olympus. Olympus is currently in ruin, with whatshischops trying to run the show...Ares! I'd pay to go back in time and give money to Marvel to do more Hercules and Thor team ups.
When Hercules took over the Hulk book for a time in the modern age there was a great arc with Thor and him.

BrightLightLava

Unconfirmed Member
God that Hercules run was great.

Code:
[IMG]http://1.bp.blogspot.com/-ob-J90VKiDg/Vd4hkS9RhYI/AAAAAAAABfM/cHrPSZ95UCc/s1600/hercthumbszd0.jpg[/IMG]

And then they cosplayed as each other for reasons I don't remember:

Code:
[IMG]https://static.comicvine.com/uploads/original/11114/111146542/4372966-herc136_02.jpg[/IMG]

I look forward to it!

The good thing about going through the reading order like this is that I'm starting to gain a bit of insight and understanding into heroes I never even heard of, let alone consider an interest in.

I'm interested in how Vision evolves as a character now, whereas before hand I didn't really care for him. I just thought he was a robot. They go into his love interest with Wanda so early too (it's just started) and the introduction of his own moral conflicts and uncontrolable emotions was handled well - especially for a comic from the late 60s early 70s.

Hercules. I know nothing of him (Marvel version that is) before starting the reading order, now I'm considering reading Herc books when I need a bit of a rest from the reading order. He's a fun, fun hero.

I never (NEVER) had an appreciation for the Fantastic Four, I thought they were the lamest heroes in all of Marvel before I started the reading order. This opinion was based on the terrible 80s Cartoon and the three poor movies. It's such a shame that they haven't been able to capture the importance the Fantastic Four has to the Marvel Universe, they set up so much Cosmic (and N-Zone) characters up. Not just Molemanning it.

Okay, "addiction." Is that better?
That joke completely flew over my head.
I'd make a joke involving your username, but it isn't coming to me right now.
Because you can be basically a God with millions of powers but can beaten by an asshole with a match or 10 dollars lighter
I'm eternally bothered by people who say they dislike Superman and find him un-relatable because he has so many powers and is so powerful, and yet will rave about Martian Manhunter, the dude who has probably four times as many powers as Supes and is just as strong.

Like, come on.

Top Bottom