• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

COMICS! |OT| November 2016. Wilde for comics, 2 Hickman books this month.

TheFlow

Banned
Talking shit about Roxy?

FlowBro...

8c3.gif

no I am cool with Bling! generation x is going to be very interesting.

mreddie

Yeah, I want to know Hickman's beef. I'm gonna guess and say he had a idea but the mythos is like juggling chainsaws.

I wanted to like that Vampy book but it was just so dull that I couldn't get into it.

What kinda sucks more is that there going back to square one, just without the bikini armor.

vm_cover.jpg

I figured Leth was talking about Power Up!, the book she did for Boom
She's doing Hellcat which Marvel took away SheHulk because CW2 and it seems Jubilee is getting taken away too.

Seriously, she's been getting the blunt end of the Marvel creative.

She's Dolph Ziggler.
So in like 3 years she's gonna be unreadable and deserving of bad creative?
it's cuz a lot of otherwise solid writers get totally stumped when they get put on mainline X-Men comics
maybe Guggenheim will turn it around by being a wack writer who just gets the X-Men

TheFlow

Banned
I got your point, and you're right. X-Fans would never be happy.
Pretty much. Too many great/bad runs with lots of unique teams. I think generation x is the right approach for the next generation of x men instead of the OG 5.

My gif: was in response to the books being 10/10 though. Lord knows that is not happening

Yeah, even now Aquaman for instance is doing like 10x better than before Rebirth and seems to have stabilized in shops at that level.

Not really.

April 2012: Aquaman 8 $2.99 DC 61,657

Aquaman 6 $2.99 DC 49,903
Aquaman 7 $2.99 DC 47,005
Aquaman 8 $2.99 DC 44,551
Aquaman 9 $2.99 DC 42,695

I think Aquaman is the worst-performing of the twice-monthly books, but I haven't looked in detail. And as I said elsewhere, the double-shipping method seems to be speeding up reader loss on DC titles.

If you're talking right before Rebirth, it's double, not 10x.

Aquaman 52 $3.99 DC 22,246

The new top 10 constants on sales or shipping lists are seemingly Batman x2, 'Tec x2, JL x2, Flash x2, SS and a Spider book or Star Wars depending on the month.

Detective Comics has never been in the Top 10. Likewise Flash. Suicide Squad was for its Rebirth, first, and second issues, but it looks like that's over.

The consistent Top 10 is Event Book, High Profile #1, Batman, and maybe Star Wars.

TheFlow

Banned
Not really.

I think Aquaman is the worst-performing of the twice-monthly books, but I haven't looked in detail. And as I said elsewhere, the double-shipping method seems to be speeding up reader loss on DC titles.

Detective Comics has never been in the Top 10. Likewise Flash. Suicide Squad was for its Rebirth, first, and second issues, but it looks like that's over.

The consistent Top 10 is Event Book, High Profile #1, Batman, and maybe Star Wars.
But if you look at it as 2 issues a month Versus 1 issue a month the sales are better versus the new 52.

6 dollars a month averaging close to 95,000 a month versus the 60-70 per month at 4 dollars. I am sure aquaman is low amongst the rebirth books but you gotta look at it differently because it is a bi monthly book.

Reader drop off is only natural and is the reason we have big events and relaunches every year but a key factor for aquaman could actually be : quality in both art and story arc. I always expect Aquaman to be lower than others because he has never dominated sale charts.

Messi

Some of y'all taking big bangs numbers real serious. They were getting like 3 copies of aquaman if tjst right before rebirth.

Those numbers for Aquaman rebirth are certainly trending downwards.

All I know is from personal experience rebirth double shipping burnt me out and led to me dropping everything down to Wonder Woman and Harley. The rest I will trade wait or more likely just forget about them.

Not really.

I'm going by store numbers. Several stores(with Big Bang as the one starting the conversation a few weeks back among stores where they compared % of readers) are reporting that they sell most of their Aquaman issues right away now instead of over several weeks and they've gone from selling to only a few people to instead have a large following thanks to Rebirth that means they sell 10x more than before it. Some stores maybe only sold 4 or 5 issues before but are now selling 50 every 2 weeks.

Btw, this was the October top 20:
1 Big Trouble in Little China/Escape From New York
2 Champions
3 Doctor Strange Sorcerers Supreme
4 Dark Knight III Master Race
5 Batman
6 Batman
7 Civil War II
8 Darth Vader
9 All Star Batman
10 Walking Dead
11 Clone Conspiracy
12 Justice League
13 Justice League
14 Detective Comics
15 Deadpool Back In Black
16 Star Wars
17 Flash
18 Death of X
19 Reborn
20 Detective Comics

10 of the spots are new launches/mini-series/books that ended/events. Not counting them the list is:

1 Batman
2 Batman
3 All-Star Batman
4 Walking Dead
5 Justice League
6 Justice League
7 'Tec
8 Star Wars
9 Flash
10 'Tec

Messi

I'm going by store numbers. Several stores(with Big Bang as the one starting the conversation a few weeks back among stores where they compared % of readers) are reporting that they sell most of their Aquaman issues right away now instead of over several weeks and they've gone from selling to only a few people to instead have a large following thanks to Rebirth that means they sell 10x more than before it. Some stores maybe only sold 4 or 5 issues before but are now selling 50 every 2 weeks.

Big bang ain't selling 50 issues of Aquaman every two weeks lol. That store survives on trades.

TheFlow

Banned
Some of y'all taking big bangs numbers real serious. They were getting like 3 copies of aquaman if tjst right before rebirth.

Those numbers for Aquaman rebirth are certainly trending downwards.

All I know is from personal experience rebirth double shipping burnt me out and led to me dropping everything down to Wonder Woman and Harley. The rest I will trade wait or more likely just forget about them.
As they should be. I think everyone here will be shocked if aquaman was rising like a rocket.

It's natural to be burnt out. DC is putting out a lot of great stuff at an alarming rate amongst lots of their brands. I am sure someone like you has been reading lots of marvel would struggle to keep up with the increase both money and time wise.

And lol only Harley and Wonder Woman? You really are missing out

But if you look at it as 2 issues a month Versus 1 issue a month the sales are better versus the new 52.

6 dollars a month averaging close to 95,000 a month versus the 60-70 per month at 4 dollars. I am sure aquaman is low amongst the rebirth books but you gotta look at it differently because it is a bi monthly book.

Reader drop off is only natural and is the reason we have big events and relaunches every year but a key factor for aquaman could actually be : quality in both art and story arc. I always expect Aquaman to be lower than others because he has never dominated sale charts.

Oh, if you're going by dollar share, then Rebirth and double shipping is helping DC a great deal.

And reader drop-off is natural, but looking at the numbers, readers are treating each issue... as an issue. Basically, the numbers are dropping off for the double shipping books at the same rate as the books coming out monthly. Readers don't seem to differentiate between 1 issue every month, or 1 issue every two weeks.

Mayhaps that's the case per store, but that doesn't really help with concrete numbers nationwide.

Btw, this was the October top 20:

9 of the spots are new launches/mini-series/books that ended/events.

Like I said: Event Book, High Profile #1

Messi

As they should be. I think everyone here will be shocked if aquaman was rising like a rocket.

It's natural to be burnt out. DC is putting out a lot of great stuff at an alarming rate amongst lots of their brands. I am sure someone like you has been reading lots of marvel would struggle to keep up with the increase both money and time wise.

And lol only Harley and Wonder Woman? You really are missing out

Here's the thing though. I don't feel like I am missing out. Same goes for marvel. I've cut the shit put of that pull too.

It shouldn't be that hard to believe that not everyone is in love with rebirth and it isn't working for them.

Oh, if you're going by dollar share, then Rebirth and double shipping is helping DC a great deal.

And reader drop-off is natural, but looking at the numbers, readers are treating each issue... as an issue. Basically, the numbers are dropping off for the double shipping books at the same rate as the books coming out monthly. Readers don't seem to differentiate between 1 issue every month, or 1 issue every two weeks.

Mayhaps that's the case per store, but that doesn't really help with concrete numbers nationwide.

Like I said: Event Book, High Profile #1
Not counting them the list is:

1 Batman
2 Batman
3 All-Star Batman
4 Walking Dead
5 Justice League
6 Justice League
7 'Tec
8 Star Wars
9 Flash
10 'Tec
7 books with Batman in them.

TheFlow

Banned

Yea DC is on to something. I mean of course they are going to treat each issue as an issue but I think aquamman is the worst book to discuss sales for. Something interesting would be to discuss deathstroke and compare the rise of quality and see if it affects sales. Another would be detective comics given what happened at the end of the last arc. Also superman sales for rebirth versus new 52.

I am not implying that readers view both issues as one.
I am saying compare the bimonthly sales versus the monthly sales. The bimonthly sales are not muchdifferent when it you look it at that way if not Better

Here's the thing though. I don't feel like I am missing out. Same goes for marvel. I've cut the shit put of that pull too.

It shouldn't be that hard to believe that not everyone is in love with rebirth and it isn't working for them.

To be clear, I really like the Rebirth books.

I'm just trying to touch on this contention that Rebirth is doing gangbusters in sales. It's more of a shift in strategy.

As TheFlow noted and I said elsewhere, it's easier to make money selling Justice League twice a month than it is to have Justice League and another Justice League adjacent book. Under the old system, DC would've gotten 100,000 issues of JL for $4 a pop in one month, now they technically get 190,000 issues for $4 a pop. Short term, big gain.

I worry about the long-term prospects of the strategy though. The mid-range play is double-ship but slightly lower the price of the books. Make more money, but not double, but you have the chance to potentially keep some readers.

Not counting them the list is:

7 books with Batman in them.

Okay? There are always events books and launches though. Seems an odd way to attempt to say "The Top 10 is always X". I don't disagree with Batman being a powerhouse. I disagree with "the Top 10 is this". It's not.

Top Bottom