• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

COMICS |OT| - November is SPANKSGIVING! 30 Days of Appreciating Funnybooks!

Status
Not open for further replies.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
FF600%20Weaver%20Dustin.jpg

It's like an orgy of awesome art

http://www.heroinitiative.org/newsdetail.asp?n=312&ti=The+Fantastic+Four+100+Project

So much good shit there, oh man.

Orcastar

You all know what this month's most anticipated comic is?

ScdX2.jpg

Oh yes, the official My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic comic book, written by Katie Cook and illustrated by Andy Price, coming out on November 28. The first story arc will run for four issues, but I'm pretty sure we'll see more after that.

Why?

Because over 90,000 copies of the first issue have already been preordered! Bronies are just crazy like that.

Did I mention that the first issue has 19, yes, friggin' 19 variant covers?

There's also a three-page preview up on iTunes. Check it out!

So who's gonna be picking this up?

This will probably be when they introduce X-Clops
tT7Xp.jpg

I can't wait

Random Mutant about to die in a few panels - "Wow! Your power is just like Cyclops! Who are you?"

XClops - "Please don't compare me to that traitor of the cause, I am Xcplos!"

X-Men - "He seems like a trustworthy guy! I'd let him babysit!"

I still don't understand how his mask would even work. >.>

Pie and Beans

Look for me on the local news, I'll be the guy arrested for trying to burn down a Nintendo exec's house.
Ugh, Brilliant Bachalo tied to Busted-Ass Bendis.

I often worry about a totally shit artist getting WatXM long-term (kinda sad Bachalo wont be on it again presumably) since the fun artstyle is kinda the main source of my enjoyment from it.

Finally caught up with IDW's Ghostbusters run as well. Massive props to the team on this, its so filled with awesome callbacks (spare black GB2 jumpsuit useage made me squeal out loud). Highly recommended.

Also on the topic of IDW: pony avatar never cropped up in previous comic threads, appears now. My main problem with bronies is despite supposedly being all about that "broadening of horizons", they are myopic as fuck. Lets hope some of the comic newbies amongst that 90,000 horde branch out and try other comics now they've got their man-hooves wet.

LiQuid!

I proudly and openly admit to wishing death upon the mothers of people I don't like
I don't quite get the brony thing. Have they made it socially unacceptable to find the show silly and enjoyable or are you instantly a pervy creep if you do?

LiQuid!

I proudly and openly admit to wishing death upon the mothers of people I don't like
I don't understand how a dude that looks like a professional wrestler can write the endless fount of boundless joy and heart-wrenching sadness that is Wolverine and the X-Men.

Pachinko

Post the local comic shop eh ?

Happy Harbor Comics

v1misc_12.jpg

v1misc_06.jpg

They don't have the greatest photos of their store but it's rather large, every month they host the usual assortment of nerdy stuff- magic, hero clix , movie nights , etc. But they are also great with the local artist pool- they have a "local comics" shelf for fanzine level comics as well as playing host to both the international 24 hour comics day event (where you draw a comic in 24 hours , in this store a donation to the local literacy association is used as an entry fee) as well as a 12 hour comics day in the spring where you have to draw 12 pages in 12 hours with some sort of quirk- ideas from a hat, switching pages with other artists every hour so you get some crazy stories , etc. They've won a few awards and are a fine addition to my local community. If you live in Edmonton, Alberta or visit at some time be sure to check it out.

Seems the other part of this thread is to post a favorite artist ? - Lately that's been James Stokoe, the guy has his own comic- Orc Stain and more recently he's been involved with a 6 issue godzilla "100 year war" miniseries. Buy all of his stuff.

gojira01-cover.jpg

As far as thanks are concerned I'd like to mirror Spike Speigel, I followed you guys over here from Tecmo when that place went to shit in 2001. Good times. I miss TTOB's artwork.

jon bones

hot hot hanuman-on-man action
i had no idea aspergers was so common til mlp came out.

anyway, most anticipated comic is uncanny x force coming to a close.... new avengers/avengers with hickman and opena is going to be amazing though. after reading his ff run i am sold on him 100%.

i would be pumped on uncanny avengers but shit is already delayed! boo!

Seems the other part of this thread is to post a favorite artist ? - Lately that's been James Stokoe, the guy has his own comic- Orc Stain and more recently he's been involved with a 6 issue godzilla "100 year war" miniseries. Buy all of his stuff.

LOVE stokoe... can't wait for the Sullivan's Sluggers hardcover kickstarter to drop already UNF UNF UNF

sullivans.jpg

Annihilation Conquest Sale at Comixology for those interested in Cosmic Marvel.

I recommend the Star-Lord mini.

Because he's the best Cosmic character.

thanks for the head's up... i'm just getting my feet wet with marvel cosmic. read thanos 6-12, drax1-4 now on to annihilation prologue... decent so far, but nothing seems too special to me.

sazabirules

Unconfirmed Member
LOVE stokoe... can't wait for the Sullivan's Sluggers hardcover kickstarter to drop already UNF UNF UNF

sullivans.jpg

thanks for the head's up... i'm just getting my feet wet with marvel cosmic. read thanos 6-12, drax1-4 now on to annihilation prologue... decent so far, but nothing seems too special to me.

Where is that being sold?

FF600%20Keown%20Dale.jpg

I miss Dale Keown's Hulk :'(

It was good, but I want more Keown Thing. GOD DAMN!

I love a well drawn Ben Grimm, even the insanely talented Ryan Stegman dropped the fucking ball drawing ol' Blue Eyes.

oh thank goodness

i thought i was going to have to cave your skull in with a can of pepsi

Are you sure it's not. . .

Also on the topic of IDW: pony avatar never cropped up in previous comic threads, appears now. My main problem with bronies is despite supposedly being all about that "broadening of horizons", they are myopic as fuck. Lets hope some of the comic newbies amongst that 90,000 horde branch out and try other comics now they've got their man-hooves wet.

The Bronies are just gravy. The kids and little girls are the money. Much like 40 year old Nintendo fans are the gravy. :p

American Vampire # 32

I suppose Sweet's betrayal comes to no surprise and I really doubt this Hattie/Skinner Sweet alliance is a permanent one. Anyone who have read the AV series knows what usually happens when someone strikes an alliance with Sweet.

Sweet playing the "good guy", teaming-up with the VMS and Pearl, hunting down those responsible for Henry's current predicament early in the Black List story line was almost too good to be true. Sweet would've made a really cool "hero", but I still liked the old Skinner Sweet; treacherous and unpredictable.

Also the new Hattie is just batshit insane! I'm really liking Hattie's transformation. I hope she stays around longer lol

I still can't figure who's the vamp who knew about Skinner's betrayal. The one with the "scarred eyes"

Snyder and Albuquerque duo is just awesome. Can't wait for American Vampire #33

Dan

No longer boycotting the Wolfenstein franchise
Where is that being sold?

It was a Kickstarter. Pretty sure it's entirely exclusive to backers.

Looking forward to my copy :)

I just hope it arrives before my Christmas hiatus so that it doesn't end up sitting on my doorstep for a week or two.

sazabirules

Unconfirmed Member
It was a Kickstarter. Pretty sure it's entirely exclusive to backers.

Looking forward to my copy :)

I just hope it arrives before my Christmas hiatus so that it doesn't end up sitting on my doorstep for a week or two.

Well that is disappointing I can't buy a physical version.

i had no idea aspergers was so common til mlp came out.

anyway, most anticipated comic is uncanny x force coming to a close.... new avengers/avengers with hickman and opena is going to be amazing though. after reading his ff run i am sold on him 100%.

i would be pumped on uncanny avengers but shit is already delayed! boo!

sullivans.jpg

Brah why would you read Sullivan Suggers when I read it? Brown Pride.

ElNarez

Banned
Best selling comic in November. I'm callin' it.

No fucking way. Not with the Marvel Now! happening. Bronies are fucking crazy terrible people with more money and time than common sense, and dedication out of the goddamn wazoo, but comic book fans are crazier, terribler, with even more money and even more time and even more dedication.

It won't break the top 10. Maybe a solid 11 or 12 because yeah 90k is a fucking great number for pre-orders, but Brian Goddamn Bendis on X-Men is gonna make chump meat out of that. And that's already two spots in the November top 10.

Orcastar

Yeah, I haven't posted in the comics threads before, but that's because it's kinda hard being a comics fan in Scandinavia, where the whole comic book culture just doesn't exist in the way it does in the US. Seriously, you wanna know how many Marvel comic books get regularly published here in Finland?

Two. A monthly Spider-Man comic and a monthly X-Men comic, both of which compile stuff from several American comic books seemingly at random.

How many DC comics?

Not a single one.

So count yourself lucky, Americans. :(

LiQuid!

Yeah, I haven't posted in the comics threads before, but that's because it's kinda hard being a comics fan in Scandinavia, where the whole comic book culture just doesn't exist in the way it does in the US. Seriously, you wanna know how many Marvel comic books get regularly published here in Finland?

Two. A monthly Spider-Man comic and a monthly X-Men comic, both of which compile stuff from several American comic books seemingly at random.

How many DC comics?

Not a single one.

Are digital comics not available/convenient for you there? If so you should get an iPad and dig in!

Acid08

Banned

How many DC comics?

Not a single one.

Turning to ponies out of desperation huh?

KimiNewt

Scored 3/100 on an Exam
Can anyone recommend me a comicbook similar to Invincible and Ultimate Spider-man?
A sort of semi light-hearted and funny yet serious book. I've been looking around ever since I read those and there was nothing quite like 'em.

bengraven

American Vampire # 32

I suppose Sweet's betrayal comes to no surprise and I really doubt this Hattie/Skinner Sweet alliance is a permanent one. Anyone who have read the AV series knows what usually happens when someone strikes an alliance with Sweet.

Sweet playing the "good guy", teaming-up with the VMS and Pearl, hunting down those responsible for Henry's current predicament early in the Black List story line was almost too good to be true. Sweet would've made a really cool "hero", but I still liked the old Skinner Sweet; treacherous and unpredictable.

Also the new Hattie is just batshit insane! I'm really liking Hattie's transformation. I hope she stays around longer lol

I still can't figure who's the vamp who knew about Skinner's betrayal. The one with the "scarred eyes"

Snyder and Albuquerque duo is just awesome. Can't wait for American Vampire #33

Awesome, thanks for spoilers that weren't really TOO spoilery for someone who hasn't read the issue yet. :)

I agree that old Skinner was much better. Plus, I understand that he's the main character of the books, but the shit he pulled in the past isn't exactly redeemable, so I really hope they're not trying to retcon him as a hero.

The team up for the last few issues has tried to point out that maybe subconciously he truly cares about Pearl, but this is the same Sweet who:
injected his blood into an unborn child, a process that killed the mother; murdered a man's innocent fiancee just for sadism's sake; and committed nearly countless murders of other random innocents

Owzers

ipad 3 cmx-hd comics on comixology have a lot more "blur" page loading when flipping pages than regular comics on my touchpad.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom