• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

COMICS! |OT| October 2014. Witches, wytches, and things that go GROOT in the night.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GAMEPROFF

Banned
Seriously? That's all I've ever wanted!! I can't even begin to explain how excited I'd be for a Wreck-It Ralph quality Marvel animated movie...

Its rumored, so I wouldnt wait for it, but I can see them doing things like Power Pack, Runawayas and maybe Young Avengers in animated form (Even when I would die for seeing Patrion in a live action movie...).

Marvel Babys would be great, too!

fauxtrot

Banned
Its rumored, so I wouldnt wait for it, but I can see them doing things like Power Pack, Runawayas and maybe Young Avengers in animated form (Even when I would die for seeing Patrion in a live action movie...).

Marvel Babys would be great, too!

I'm not gonna lie, I would watch any type of Marvel Scottie-Youngiverse movie.

fauxtrot

Banned
t-j-miller-gif-o.gif

I'm sorry.

So what did I do with my fabulous day off from work? Did I go last minute costume shopping? No! Did I spend the entire day killing orcs in Mordor? No! (ok, I spent like an hour or two killing orcs in Mordor). Did I sit about in my room contemplating where I should be heading with my life and if everything I've been doing up until now has been a foolish waste of time? Uh, nooooooooooo.

I read the entirety of Infinity on Marvel Unlimited! With intense awesome background music from the movie feature film Fury(and a little bit of Gravity in the middle)! Which mostly fit awesomely! Wow wa wee wa! Now this is an event! Please tell me you guys don't hold it in the same regard as Avengers vs X-Men and Age of Ultron? This was AWESOME. The only thing I found a bit strange was the mysterious lack of Spider-Man and Wolverine, who had been in the issues leading up to this. Is this around the time that Otto took over Spidey? He didn't even make any earth cameo's, at least Wolverine showed up for a couple panels.

The only real knock I have against it was that while a lot happened, it didn't feel much like it ended. I suppose it ended the main Avengers story line leading up to it, but the New Avengers story line is just going even harder. So I guess what I mean was it in some ways didn't feel like an event more of just a really intense part of the New Avengers story? I liked the Lord of the Ring vibes I got with them going back to Earth to find it all messed up (ala going back to the Shire only to find Sharkey and Wormtongue. And wtf is up with that fake name anyhow? Sharkey? C'mon. Sorry, got off track) I could just be getting this feeling just because I know a bit of whats to come, and I know that it's all going to get even crazier. I'm not sure how, just from the posts I've seen you guys talk about it...and all those Secret Wars Summer 2015 teasers.

But yeah woooo, that was an awesome read. I freaking love Hickman. These Avengers stories feel like some of the, if not THE, most epic shit I've read in comics. Not quite sure if it beats his FF run for me, but I suppose I'm only halfway through Avengers right now, so I can't really judge.

Kipp

but I am taking tiny steps forward
Oh, guys, I call dibs on the 10,000th post.

So what did I do with my fabulous day off from work? Did I go last minute costume shopping? No! Did I spend the entire day killing orcs in Mordor? No! (ok, I spent like an hour or two killing orcs in Mordor). Did I sit about in my room contemplating where I should be heading with my life and if everything I've been doing up until now has been a foolish waste of time? Uh, nooooooooooo.

I read the entirety of Infinity on Marvel Unlimited! With intense awesome background music from the movie feature film Fury(and a little bit of Gravity in the middle)! Which mostly fit awesomely! Wow wa wee wa! Now this is an event! Please tell me you guys don't hold it in the same regard as Avengers vs X-Men and Age of Ultron? This was AWESOME. The only thing I found a bit strange was the mysterious lack of Spider-Man and Wolverine, who had been in the issues leading up to this. Is this around the time that Otto took over Spidey? He didn't even make any earth cameo's, at least Wolverine showed up for a couple panels.

The only real knock I have against it was that while a lot happened, it didn't feel much like it ended. I suppose it ended the main Avengers story line leading up to it, but the New Avengers story line is just going even harder. So I guess what I mean was it in some ways didn't feel like an event more of just a really intense part of the New Avengers story? I liked the Lord of the Ring vibes I got with them going back to Earth to find it all messed up (ala going back to the Shire only to find Sharkey and Wormtongue. And wtf is up with that fake name anyhow? Sharkey? C'mon. Sorry, got off track) I could just be getting this feeling just because I know a bit of whats to come, and I know that it's all going to get even crazier. I'm not sure how, just from the posts I've seen you guys talk about it...and all those Secret Wars Summer 2015 teasers.

But yeah woooo, that was an awesome read. I freaking love Hickman. These Avengers stories feel like some of the, if not THE, most epic shit I've read in comics. Not quite sure if it beats his FF run for me, but I suppose I'm only halfway through Avengers right now, so I can't really judge.

Haha. Great post. Your enthusiasm is infectious.
Glad you enjoyed Infinity!

Kipp

I'm not voting. This democracy is a sham. My vote doesn't even matter anyways. And even if I did vote, I'd just be voting for the lesser evil.

Oh hey people who live in the US, I'll use this post as a reminder to vote on Tuesday, November 4th because the midterms are cool too.

Zombine

Banned
First time for everything :p

Hey man I voted one of those months. And I think I was salty as hell when my shit didn't place lol

I got bored and bought some books. I'm still having a hard time deciding which Albuquerque print I'm getting.

Messi

Hey man I voted one of those months. And I think I was salty as hell when my shit didn't place lol

I got bored and bought some books. I'm still having a hard time deciding which Albuquerque print I'm getting.

Lots of pages to choose from. Some great stuff still there. I am actually shocked he has so much for sale. He must keep nothing.

Tizoc

I should get into these Megaman comics.

Do it, the series needs that sales boost. If you're a fan of the games you'll love the nods they have for them, like this for example:
SlideMechanics.jpg

Note that the art can be its weakest point but I like it. The current issue featured GeminiMan and he stole the show.

Boogiepop

Yep. Premiered last Friday.

Gets rid of the swearing and the smoking, though.
Huh. Any good otherwise?

Also, since I didn't get a response last time I asked: what's worth grabbing for Hellblazer? Is it all good or just some of it? Thinking of trying out the new printings and maybe keeping up with them after catching up.

She said she's always been into Dick.I don't know if im ready for this...renji keeps giving her a Damian scowl when she calls him cute. Halloween is the best

Huh. Any good otherwise?

Reception to the pilot was mixed. I haven't watched it myself yet.

Also, since I didn't get a response last time I asked: what's worth grabbing for Hellblazer? Is it all good or just some of it? Thinking of trying out the new printings and maybe keeping up with them after catching up.

You can't go wrong by starting from the beginning, with Jamie Delano's run. I can't help you beyond that, though I heard Garth Ennis' run was good as well.

Kipp

I believe the Garth Ennis stuff is most highly regarded. I think people like Jamie Delano's stuff too though, so starting from the beginning would work. But if you want to go right to the best stuff, then probably start with Ennis.

Zombine

Banned
Lots of pages to choose from. Some great stuff still there. I am actually shocked he has so much for sale. He must keep nothing.

I actually have my first purchase narrowed down to a group of pages. I can't tell what the best one is for that character though.

kswiston

Messi hit 1000 posts for this month's thread. A couple of years ago, the entire monthly thread occasionally had fewer posts than that.

frye

Huh. Any good otherwise?

I would say most of it is pretty good, though everyone has their preferences.

I don't think anyone who liked the book would object to the first two runs: Delano and Ennis. Delano's is a bit dated with the politics, but he sets everything up. Ennis makes the book and the character his from the first storyline which is probably the classic Hellblazer story with the classic Constantine moment. I actually prefer the stuff later on when Dillon comes on board because he lets Ennis open up tonally beyond the horror stuff. Kit shows up here and I don't think Ennis has really topped her as far as his female characters are concerned.

I also like Azzarello's quite a bit (though it's definitely the most controversial but I will say that it's one of the few Azz comics I like) because he embraces the fact that no one really ever got the voice of John Constantine as pitch perfectly as Ennis did by making John a kind of background trickster figure for his run. Azz is the only American other than the two Jason Aaron issues who wrote the book iirc and it's an odd run partly because of that, but it mostly works.

And (being me) I also liked the Milligan run that ended the book. The guys on the Hellblazer forums hate it but w/e, fuck 'em imo. It's Milligan writing himself basically, an old man who's scared he's past his prime and kind of a bullshitter. Makes a quite funny little scene when he confronts Shade, who's a kind of surrogate for a younger Milligan.

Other than that you got Ellis (I don't like Ellis but if you do this short run might be for you) and Mike Carey (ditto). Never got around to reading Diggle or Jenkins (or Mina, but everyone seems to hate that one)

Kipp

Real talk, how many of you guys have jobs? It always amazes me how many posts some of you manage haha.

I do, but I get way less hours than I'd like.
Hopefully in a couple weeks I'll have a full time job...

However, right at this moment I'm doing a few hours worth of volunteer work for the guy running for congress in my district. He's lucky I don't have any Halloween plans. haha

fauxtrot

Banned
I've mastered my office job to the point where I can post while I do my daily tasks... and even then I'm rarely in the top 10 every month. I'm not fully convinced that Messi and Kipp even sleep, let alone work.

Real talk, how many of you guys have jobs? It always amazes me how many posts some of you manage haha.

Jobs? I thought some you have some kind of money tree. I mean, wasn't it Zombine who drop a grand at comic con? Jesus.

Anyways, I work 5 days a week like most people. I have to eat too and pay the bills....

Kipp

I've mastered my office job to the point where I can post while I do my daily tasks... and even then I'm rarely in the top 10 every month. I'm not fully convinced that Messi and Kipp even sleep, let alone work.

Oh, trust me, I sleep. I go to sleep at 8:30pm every night and wake up at 4:00am every morning. Like clockwork.
Nothing gets between me and my sleep schedule.

But seriously, I really, really wish I worked more. Sales at work have been awful this year so even during the summer when I'd usually get a lot of hours, I barely got anything. That's why I'm really hoping one of the two potential job opportunities I have comes through.

What kind of person would I be if I didn't deliver.

Haha. Fantastic.

i was gonna pick up death of the family but it was sold out.

so instead i picked up wonder woman vol. 1 because i liked the look of the art and i've heard brian azzarello's name a few times.

was this a mistake or what? good series?

Messi

i was gonna pick up death of the family but it was sold out.

so instead i picked up wonder woman vol. 1 because i liked the look of the art and i've heard brian azzarello's name a few times.

was this a mistake or what? good series?

That is a good purchase. But make sure you still get death of the family

kswiston

2-3 years ago, you could take the top poster spot of the month with around 200 posts, and make the top 10 with less than 100. These threads have really blown up in the past year.

That is a good purchase. But make sure you still get death of the family

good to know. yeah i'll definitely get around to it. read batman vol. 2 and it was flames. so good.

except for this one issue with some random girl. da fuck was that all about? it felt like DC's anti-bullying campaign.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom