• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

COMICS! |OT| October 2015. ...Are just something we do while the patch downloads.

So, I finished the Usagi Yojimbo Special Edition box set last night, which is all the stuff up to the Dark Horse releases. And yup, that was some enjoyable stuff. In particular, the
Seppuku ghost story
was a yeah holy crap, that was both really good and another strong reminder that despite the art this would totally not be suitable for children. Also a bit of a shame that the TMNT crossovers weren't a little more substantial/interesting, but oh well (also looks like maybe one is missing from these Usagi Yojimbo collections?) Which actually did cause me to realize that Usagi Yojimbo has actually held together a consistently released comic with tied together continuity for longer than the turtles, which is totally deserved but funny to think of considering the comparative popularity of the franchises (IE Usagi's just kind of gotten to be a hanger on of the TMNT as far as extended media goes).

The TMNT crossovers are in the first Dark Horse collection. Unless you mean there are other crossovers before that which were skipped by Fantagraphics?

Didn't see this posted.

Is that a new arc or something? I got tired of Wytches after three or four issues.

Kipp reading Hellboy? Perish the thought.

Kipp doesn't read comics anymore, he only plays with Monsterarts.

TLDR: remember that Janelle Asselin piece on harassment centered on Scott Allie from Dark Horse? Hannah Means Shannon wrote a piece defending Dark Horse saying it was all handled internally. The piece read like Dark Horse PR and Means Shannon was hired by Dark Horse as an associate editor afterward.

That's not suspicious at all, Ed. What are you implying?

XD

I really liked Gail's run on Batgirl.

Eh. The first two arcs were fine, but after that you could really start to tell that her heart wasn't in it. Which I assume is where Editorial was interfering with what she wanted to write. Because DC Editorial consists entirely of BUTTS.

Messi

Is that a new arc or something? I got tired of Wytches after three or four issues.

Kipp doesn't read comics anymore, he only plays with Monsterarts.

That's not suspicious at all, Ed. What are you implying?

XD

Eh. The first two arcs were fine, but after that you could really start to tell that her heart wasn't in it. Which I assume is where Editorial was interfering with what she wanted to write. Because DC Editorial consists entirely of BUTTS.

New arc of wytches next year yes.

Gail said they didn't let her do what she wanted right from the beginning of batgirl.

Owzers

there was a possibly dead spider behind my one bookcase. Another reason to go digital people.

:O Digital spiders. Comixology should make digital dust in their next update and you have to tap each issue to clean it off or you have to pay $10 monthly for a digital cleaning service.

Ah, I thought the Batgirl of Burnside trade was the start of a full #1 reboot but it's actually #35-40. I'd have been surprised if that was the one you were describing as the first issue was really fun.

Ah, I thought the Batgirl of Burnside trade was the start of a full #1 reboot but it's actually #35-40. I'd have been surprised if that was the one you were describing as the first issue was really fun.

oh no, Hipster Batgirl has been solid. The story has had ups and downs, but the art has been great.

I really like the current series. It's good fun with great art.

The Steph and Cass runs are great too. Hope we can get a book with the two of them once Eternal ends.

Owzers

When you are vacuuming around your wii u wires and you think " no, i'm okay".

You're not okay.

:(

edit: You know what? I didn't feel like being happy today anyways so the jokes on you wii u.

Hagi

And nothing. Just demonstrating that your standards for comic writing may be a bit lower than other people's.

;D

He's was buying it knowing full well it was shit though. I have no idea what you'd call that. I am in awe of his dedication to Selina because I would have dropped that after 1 issue.

Look, I'm a bit late on it, but we all know the real reason Alonso doesn't want to talk about Angela is because he's pretty sure he'll make The Worst Comment Ever.

That's not a nice thing to say

tumblr_mkmipvUcxH1s9s0bdo1_500.gif

Boogiepop

The TMNT crossovers are in the first Dark Horse collection. Unless you mean there are other crossovers before that which were skipped by Fantagraphics?

It looks like it was this one in particular that's missing: http://tmntentity.blogspot.com/2009/11/usagi-yojimbo-vol-1-10.html

It's weird just because there's a gap where they don't know each other in one and then suddenly they're pals, and then the one at the start of the first Saga from Dark Horse happens. But it's not something I'm insanely frustrated over or anything, just an odd exclusion.

Edit: Also, Space Usagi is apparently a thing that exists and needs a reprint pretty bad. And to a much lesser degree the Usagi Yojimbo: Yokai graphic novel, which seems like it may not end up in the collections...

Why did you even waste your time with the tie-ins if all you wanted was the main series?
It's 2015, by now you KNOW that tie-ins are hit or miss and thus are better left unread to be on the safe side.
You're complaining for the sake of complaining :/
I bought them all. I feel like a scorned lover and they begged me to take them back. Now, I am lying her penniless as she is out getting pounded by some NYC cabbie. And the only thing left to comfort me are these soft sheets from Bed Bath and Beyond that we purchased, together.

In the spirit of Halloween I went back to until dawn to finish it. At chapter 7 and I'm loving it. I'm not a fan of horror (I scare easily...especially in games) and even then I think it's amazing.

Tizoc

I bought them all. I feel like a scorned lover and they begged me to take them back. Now, I am lying her penniless as she is out getting pounded by some NYC cabbie. And the only thing left to comfort me are these soft sheets from Bed Bath and Beyond that we purchased, together.

In life
Sometimes absolutes are the best option
In this case it was ditching tie-ins if they don't interest you from issue 1
That or just grabbing the TPB of them like 3 years later *sips OJ*

GAMEPROFF

Banned
Time for me date with Freddy Krueger. I am tired as fuck and most likely going to fall asleep during the movie, but I dont think thats a good idea while watching Nightmare on Elm Street.

When I am not back until dawn posting in this topic - Avenge me in the dreamscape!

So after I read Batman RIP (the Comixology collection) it's Final Crisis, right? It's a bit confusing 'cause the Comixology version doesn't have the numbers and stuff on the covers, and frankly the story was bouncing around a lot anyway, so I'm not 100% clear on what is and is not supposed to take place before Final. The stuff with the Lump, that's before, right? I don't think I read anything that takes place after...

Owzers

i started one of the Army of Darkness comics from the humble bundle that takes place after Army of Darkness, it's okay so far but i'm ready to watch that first Ash vs Evil Dead Starz series.

I also watched two more episodes of the From Dust Till Dawn tv show season one....it's still not good.

I'm cleaning things again and floppies are just the worst, what do i do with my Wonder Woman Azzarello and Daredevil Waid 30 issue runs? What is a floppy anyways? It's really sad stuff, the desire to keep things even though you know they shouldn't exist, this weird stack of print things you have to remove from the bag/board to reread issue by issue. Floppies are the American Cheese of comics.

When you set that kind of precedent, passing up a chance to unapologetically show you're actually inclusive is, well, what an idiot dipshit clown would do.

It's the softest of softball questions for your all-softball interview, and Alonso found the way to blow it. He just had to say "Yes". Angela makes out with Sera twice in that issue. It's not all that open to interpretation. At the very least, it's not being mindful of these issues, which is bad. You could go a bit further, and call it cowardly balking at an imagined backlash from the worst crowd, like Joe Glass does in his column at Bleeding Cool. I just think it's one more incident that proves Alonso can't stop putting his foot in his mouth.

Yup. I wrote a thing about this, if anyone cares to read it.

http://geeksout.org/blogs/nathan-tabak/how-marvels-editor-chief-closeted-angela

It’s been over two months since I last took to this site to criticize Marvel for its handling of LGBTQ diversity (or lack thereof) in the Secret Wars: Secret Love one-shot. In that time, Marvel has announced plenty of new books as part of its All-New, All-Different Marvel relaunch, and while a number feature female and/or non-white lead characters, not a single one features an LGBTQ protagonist.

It’s now all but undeniable that Marvel’s commitment to diversifying its titles, while laudable, is strictly limited to straight, cisgender female and minority characters. LGBTQ representation (aside from two versions of Iceman and a few characters from Young Avengers being used in Al Ewing’s Avengers books) is simply not a priority.

tim1138

So after I read Batman RIP (the Comixology collection) it's Final Crisis, right? It's a bit confusing 'cause the Comixology version doesn't have the numbers and stuff on the covers, and frankly the story was bouncing around a lot anyway, so I'm not 100% clear on what is and is not supposed to take place before Final. The stuff with the Lump, that's before, right? I don't think I read anything that takes place after...

If all you're interested in is the Batman stuff, you can honestly skip Final Crisis and just know something happens to Bruce. Next in the reading order is volume 1 of Batman and Robin.

If all you're interested in is the Batman stuff, you can honestly skip Final Crisis and just know something happens to Bruce. Next in the reading order is volume 1 of Batman and Robin.

Hmm. I'll check it out afterwards, then. It's probably got its own reading order :p

Hmm. I'll check it out afterwards, then. It's probably got its own reading order :p

Final Crisis isn't all that necessary. I think there was a discrepancy between RIP and FC where they weren't sure where Batman would actually die, but RIP gives him a death. It just wouldn't mesh with the whole time-traveling thing, so that's why they had him die again in FC.

Man, though. You're a huge DC fan Poodle and you haven't even read B&R? I can't imagine how much more of a fan you'll be after.

Top Bottom