• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

COMICS! |OT| October 2016. Capes, Crime, Bondage, and sometimes Overwatch.

CazTGG

if we cant complain about shit in comics, then why the fuck is this thread even open

For literally everything that's ever existed.

Like this story about Jesus' tomb being opened for the first time in centuries. Or this picture of a dog looking bored on Halloween.

CwIbwHHWEAAXzJM.jpg

I understand that.

Look at it this way. If I come across something I don't like for whatever reason, in this case something I think is in bad taste, then I avoid it. I don't tweet about it or email whoever and complain. I feel that trying to get something you don't like in the media changed or removed is attempting to force a company / artist / individual to self-censor. And I'm very much against that.

So you are agreeing with me: you want free speech for sexists but not for people against sexism. Got it.

GAMEPROFF

Banned
I think we can arrange this :D

I don't have any faith but id love if universal's monsterverse worked out.
Its fucked up already becaue it takes places in the current time.
0 interest in a mummy running around a Navy Seal Team. Wolf Man will most likely running around Central Park and Frankenstein will be some guy in a basement.
Gothic horror placed in the time these books where written needs to return.

Its fucked up already becaue it takes places in the current time.
0 interest in a mummy running around a Navy Seal Team. Wolf Man will most likely running around Central Park and Frankenstein will be some guy in a basement.
Gothic horror placed in the time these books where written needs to return.

Oh I had no idea they were set now. That makes me even less confident :( the idea is sound though. It didnt have the best ending imo but I liked penny dreadful and the way it mashed up some of those characters in some new ways.

I know what I said. And the Rafael Albuquerque Batgirl variant is a perfect example of DC self-censoring due to public outcry.

You mean a variant that the creators of the comic themselves didnt even want

I dont think you guys know what the word "censorship" actually means. Like by this logic, Marvel is self-censoring the X-Men books because public outcry about how shit they are.

Messi

I do believe the only reason the Batgirl cover was pulled is because the creators openly said how much they didn't want it and didn't approve it.

That's beside the point, isn't it? DC hired Albuquerque to do a variant. The reason they pulled the cover was directly reactionary to the social media backlash. I'm not sure DC gave two shits what the creative team wanted.

I do believe the only reason the Batgirl cover was pulled is because the creators openly said how much they didn't want it and didn't approve it.

Was that mentioned in an article somewhere? I missed it if so.

Messi

That's beside the point, isn't it? DC hired Albuquerque to do a variant. The reason they pulled the cover was directly reactionary to the social media backlash. I'm not sure DC gave two shits what the creative team wanted.

Was that mentioned in an article somewhere? I missed it if so.

No its my personal belief. Stewart was very clear in his unhappiness.

jurgen

It was more likely the social media backlash. Gail Simone did a pretty good rundown on the variant cover process several weeks ago when Frank Cho split from doing variants on Greg Rucka's Wonder Woman. The majority of creators do have some input on the standard cover for their book, as it's a representation of their work.

Variants, however, are handled more by the art editor and variant artist only. This is because variants are done more as an incentive to retailers to increase orders rather than to act as a representation of the creative team's work. The only time there's an exception to this is for more A-list creators like Rucka, Johns, Bendis, Snyder, etc who might rock the boat if they have objections.

Cameron Stewart, Brenden Fletcher, and Babs Tarr are great creators but they ain't A-list.

Messi

It was more likely the social media backlash. Gail Simone did a pretty good rundown on the variant cover process several weeks ago when Frank Cho split from doing variants on Greg Rucka's Wonder Woman. The majority of creators do have some input on the standard cover for their book, as it's a representation of their work.

Variants, however, are handled more by the art editor and variant artist only. This is because variants are done more as an incentive to retailers to increase orders rather than to act as a representation of the creative team's work. The only time there's an exception to this is for more A-list creators like Rucka, Johns, Bendis, Snyder, etc who might rock the boat if they have objections.

Cameron Stewart, Brenden Fletcher, and Babs Tarr are great creators but they ain't A-list.

Do you think them saying they didn't want it had no effect?

No its my personal belief. Stewart was very clear in his unhappiness.

That's a whole lot of speculating you are doing BTW.

I get that the creative team wasn't happy. I just don't know how much sway that would hold over decisions like variant covers. I doubt the creative team on USAvengers would be able to change the fact there are going to be 50 variant covers of #1.

Either way, I'm done talking about it. I never meant to get into an argument over the whole thing. Next time I'll just keep my opinions to myself.

PsychBat!

Banned
Jingle bell jingle bell jingle bell rock
Jingle bells swing and Jingle bells ring
Snowing and blowing up bushels of fun
Now the Jingle hop has begun

Messi

I get that the creative team wasn't happy. I just don't know how much sway that would hold over decisions like variant covers. I doubt the creative team on USAvengers would be able to change the fact there are going to be 50 variant covers of #1.

Either way, I'm done talking about it. I never meant to get into an argument over the whole thing. Next time I'll just keep my opinions to myself.

Yes because this would clearly be the same situation.

jurgen

Do you think them saying they didn't want it had no effect?

It did in the grand scheme of social media backlash but that seemed after the fact, if I remember the timeline of events correctly. The creative team really didn't make their objections public until after DC pulled the cover.

imo censorship is good and there's too much titties in comics, don't @ me

Maybe. But I think that has more to due with the industry's inability to outgrow its characteristics of being a boy's club. Comics are for everyone, but that doesn't mean the publishers still don't cater themselves to a largely adult male audience.

Farside

Unconfirmed Member
Hmm... don't really feel I fit in with the ethos or focus of this thread anymore. It's been fun guys, thanks for the discussions.

Owzers

Purge Election Year: The purge is such a weird series, i should be watching Warcraft.

These people just want to keep America great and surprise surprise, another female , totally inauthentic candidate is trying to ruin it.

tkscz

Umm... so is this thread mostly comic talk or drama? I really never posted in here before.

Red She-Hulk was always a gimmick. Same with Red Hulk. Copycat characters like that don't really have what it takes to carry their own books for the long haul. Luckily, Jen isn't dead and will have her own solo book coming starting December. I expect it to be angrier than past She-Hulk comics.

Son those are fighting words. RSH's run was really good and rarely reflected Shulk's comics. Didn't read Red Hulk's so can't comment there.

Umm... so is this thread mostly comic talk or drama? I really never posted in here before.

Son those are fighting words. RSH's run was really good and rarely reflected Shulk's comics. Didn't read Red Hulk's so can't comment there.
Mostly comic talk

And also the November OT is up. Link's up above

ElNarez

Banned

It's a never-ending balls-out death battle of ideas, with the soul of art itself at stake. You log on to the grid, expect a hyperviolent mindfuck beyond the limits of perception. You will be cleansed of pre-conceptions in a ritual baptism by critical fire, and you will emerge a new kind of person. A better one, ready for gladiatorial combat, with strength above all others.

Lashley

Why does he wear the mask!?
Quiet week

Big Trouble In Little China Escape From New York #2 (Of 6)
Walking Dead #160

Batman #10
Green Arrow #10
Justice League #8
Nightwing #8

Avengers #1
Champions #2
Death Of X #3 (Of 4)
Unworthy Thor #1 (Of 5)

Top Bottom