• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Comics Retailer Applauds the Shooting of Gabrielle Giffords

Status
Not open for further replies.

Slayven

and then firearms seized.

First article
http://www.comicsalliance.com/2011/01/10/heavy-ink-arizona-shooting-corcoran/

The tragic shooting in Tucson, Arizona over the weekend, which left Rep. Gabrielle Giffords in a coma and six others dead, has been universally condemned both by Democrats and Republicans, as you would expect in any civilized society where violence and assassination with semi-automatic weaponry are considered inappropriate responses to political differences. But while even Sarah Palin -- a forceful opponent of Giffords who once published an infographic targeting Giffords through gun sights -- was publicly calling for "peace and justice," at least one member of the retail comics community had a different message: "1 down, 534 to go."
More at the article

Followup
http://www.comicsalliance.com/2011/...ran-arizona-shooting/?a_dgi=aolshare_facebook

After reading the recent inexcusably irresponsible blog post from Travis Corcoran, the president of the online comics retail store Heavy Ink, lauding the shooting of Rep. Gabrielle Giffords in Arizona and encouraging the shooting of other politicians, we recently wrote an editorial condemning his actions and encouraging comics fans to consider whether they wished to continue giving him their business.

We expected some controversy, comments with angry political rhetoric, and blowback from outraged creators, all of which occurred. What we didn't expect? That the police would read our article, and then confiscate all of Corcoran's firearms and ammunition and notify the federal authorities.

We expected some controversy, comments with angry political rhetoric, and blowback from outraged creators, all of which occurred. What we didn't expect? That the police would read our article, and then confiscate all of Corcoran's firearms and ammunition and notify the federal authorities.

Why would they do that?
He didn't say or hint he would commit any crimes. Seems like he just made a stupid comment.

Drkirby

Corporate Apologist
Why does it matter what this one nut thinks? I bet you I can go on face book and have a dozen other people who agree.

See You Next Wednesday said:
Why would they do that?
He didn't say or hint he would commit any crimes. Seems like he just made a stupid comment.

"1 down, 534 to go."

People capable of making comments as ignorant as that don't deserve dangerous weapons anyway. It's probably nothing, but you never know. Sure this could be a slippery, but I can at least sympathize with the motives for confiscating his weapons

Router

Hopsiah the Kanga-Jew
See You Next Wednesday said:
Why would they do that?
I'd imagine that law enforcement agencies are more than a tad touchy on the subject of political assassinations. Joking or not.

Lombaszko

I think I'm going to stop buying comics from his site. People can say whatever they want to but that's just awful. I agree that the police probably overreacted though.

ArjanN

Simpsons-Comic-Book-Guy-Worst-Day-Ever-Sticker-B000GU10W6-L.jpg

Slayven said:
I think it is just a cause of police overrating in the wake of a tragedy. But is a slippery slope.
Wait, the cops taking his guns is a slippery slope but him talking about trying to kill more people isn't a slippery slope?

Meus Renaissance said:
Well I for one am glad that finally a stupid hateful comment posted on the Internet is being answered for. This is a thread on the Heavy Ink site forum discussing this. Alot of people cancelling their accounts

http://heavyink.com/forum/forums/1/topics/2043

I like how the thread started off by characterizing what he said as some sort of acceptable, relevant form of political discourse.

Edit:

Guy is a motherfucking psycho and deserved to lose his weapons.

Lunatic said:
I don’t think that anything productive is going to come of killing either the senator or the judge, but, yes, I think that it is morally legitimate to kill pro-regulation senators and pro-regulation judges, if it can be done without harming innocents.”

DrForester

Kills Photobucket
Out of curiosity is this guy a nut or was he one of the many many trolls that came out that day? I remember one guy posted something on ?Twitter? and it got a lot of publicity and he quickly apologized and said he was trolling.

Dan

No longer boycotting the Wolfenstein franchise
DrForester said:
Out of curiosity is this guy a nut or was he one of the many many trolls that came out that day? I remember one guy posted something on ?Twitter? and it got a lot of publicity and he quickly apologized and said he was trolling.
He's definitely not a troll, he's genuine.

SapientWolf

Trucker Sexologist
Darkman M said:
Guy is a piece of shit and moron, but is it legal for them to confiscate his belongings like that?
If the court interprets his speech as incitement to violence, yes. If not, he may get his stuff back but the police aren't taking any chances with nutjobs so soon after they dropped the ball in AZ.

Dabanton

It is absolutely, absolutely unacceptable to shoot "indiscriminately".

Target only politicians and their staff, and leave regular citizens alone.

He sounds like a real nice guy.

What an ass.

tiff

Banned
It's entirely likely that he's just some douche spouting shit on the internet and this is all one big overreaction, but I surely don't feel sorry for him.

Darkman M said:
Guy is a piece of shit and moron, but is it legal for them to confiscate his belongings like that?

You can't threaten people and not expect to be taken seriously.

Protip: Saying "I have a bomb in my bag" will result in your bag being searched and you being arrested.

Protip 2: Saying "I wish this would all bow up" will also result in a search.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom