• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Coming off of the remake, I can just keep Barret and tifa in at all times, right? (First time playing)

MrMatt555

Right. So, it's my first time going through the original game's paces. Aaaand....I really loved tifa and Barret in my party in the remake. How effective is Barret as a tank/healer in the original.? I can note already tifa doesn't do as much dps as she was in the remake, aside from her limit, so what is the best party to you guys?

Original has pretty much all the characters as carbon copies aside from limit breaks. Not that it even matters since anyone can use summons.

EDIT: Sorry, spoiler.

Last edited:

LordKasual

Banned
ALOT happens in the original and your party composition varies, although not nearly as frequently as in Remake.

But in FF7 the only things that really distinguish characters are whether or not they're ranged/melee and what their Limit Break is.

So any combo works.

And there's really no such thing as a "tank" in OG final fantasy.

Paltheos

Not worth worrying about as most of the game you don’t have an option to make a party and are just with one or two of Tifa/Barrett/Aerith and whoever’s not in your party gets experience points just he same.

This... is not true. There are a handful of stages with character-lock but this is not representative of most of the game.
The XP part is mostly right. IIRC FF7 scales down XP for reserve members but it's not severe.

Right. So, it's my first time going through the original game's paces. Aaaand....I really loved tifa and Barret in my party in the remake. How effective is Barret as a tank/healer in the original.? I can note already tifa doesn't do as much dps as she was in the remake, aside from her limit, so what is the best party to you guys?

You can roll with most stuff for most of the game. Characters have different strength, magic stats etc. but it's not... a huge deal. Barret's a better brawler but everybody's magic stat is usable. This game's pretty lenient on all that. I'm reluctant to spoil anything but Barret and Tifa are fine. There are better and worse characters later on, but they're fine.

Best teams isn't really even a concern until disc 3 endgame stuff? If even. At that point you may need to put in legwork to take down optional superbosses.

#Phonepunk#

Banned
i'd say don't worry about that and just play through the story. fwiw i don't think any one character is inherently better than the others. a you will need everyone for the disc 3 fights.

characters will come and go at regular intervals. Final Fantasy games focus more on the story.

Teslerum

it’s got to be well more than half of the game that you have a set party. For plot reasons there are only a few stretches where Cloud, Barrett, Tifa and Aerith are together.

And I don’t mean that as a knock on the game as I loved it. In general, I hate party systems and prefer rpgs that just give you a set party the whole game as the less time I have to spend on figuring out builds, best gear for people etc the better.

Are you talking about the Remake? I think he was talking about the original.
And for the original this is certainly not true.
(I'm coming off a playthrough less than half a year ago as well.)

Last edited:

Teslerum

Cloud, Red XIII (for the first half at least, limit breaks suck a bit), Yuffie and Barret (after) is the best party to me. You can easily go with the party you think is best story wise for a particular point in the game though (Even if it leads to some fiddeling). Keep party composition in mind though for optional bosses/content.

Last edited:

deriks

4-Time GIF/Meme God
Yes

Maybe later you change one of those, but I can say for myself that I used back in the day and probably won't change

Sign

Outside of limits, which are very similar, and some weapons being able to hit the back row with no penalty the characters are pretty much the same. If you are a real minmaxer some characters do work better than others, but the game is not so challenging that you need to use those characters. With that being said, Barret is one of those characters if memory serves. Tifa is also very strong early game witn her limits on bosses and can be very viable late game as well with the right equipment / materia.

My only recommendation is that there will be certain instances when party characters will be visible in a town and can be talked to, but if they are in the active roster they may not show up. In these instances you may want to switch to another set of characters to see your main parties dialogue. The game is sorta designed for multiple play throughs, but if you think you may only go through it once it is something to keep in mind if their are characters you really care about.

Last edited:

Pallas

I like Tifa and Aerith personally, but yeah you really don’t get to choose, since because ShinRa are assholes, you very rarely if at all have all 4 characters together.

Was I the only one hoping you could add Biggs, Wedge and Jesse to the party?

Teslerum

Outside of limits, which are very similar, and some weapons being able to hit the back row with no penalty the characters are pretty much the same. If you are a real minmaxer some characters do work better than others, but the game is not so challenging that you need to use those characters. With that being said, Barret is one of those characters if memory serves. Tifa is also very strong early game witn her limits and can be very good late game as well with the right equipment / materia.

I disagree. Tifa has nearly the worst Limit Set in the party due to every single one of them only hitting once. In addition she probably has the worst ultimate weapon of them all. (Since its damage is based on how big her limit bar is). For endgame/optional content she's pretty terrible.

Last edited:

Pallas

I disagree. Tifa has nearly the worst Limit Set in the party due to every single one of them only hitting once. In addition she probably has the worst ultimate weapon of them all. (Since its damage is based on how big her limit bar is). For endgame/optional content she's pretty terrible.
She’s great at staggering enemies though which is always a good thing.

wvnative

There will be RARE parts of the game that force you to change party members, but you can use the exchange all button to transplant Tifa and Barret's materia to other members instantly when these parts show up. Materia is what matters most so don't worry if other members are under leveled. Better yet, you can use the exchange all button any time even if party members are totally gone from the party. Just keep other members' equipment updated so they have enough materia slots.

Sign

I'm going off my memory from 5+ years ago, but edited my comment. Like I said though, the game is not so difficult that one needs to min/max. If they like Barret and Tifa there is no reason not to use them.

wipeout364

It’s been a long time since I played the original but isn’t there a point late game where you need to make two teamS. If you didn’t level your Other party members I feel like it was an issue but I have no Idea now the New game deals with xp. Didn’t the original not give any xp to members not in your current party?

MrMatt555

It’s been a long time since I played the original but isn’t there a point late game where you need to make two teamS. If you didn’t level your Other party members I feel like it was an issue but I have no Idea now the New game deals with xp. Didn’t the original not give any xp to members not in your current party?
can someone confirm this? need to switch people in if that's the case.

Paltheos

Yes, but you're not required to switch teams and you can force the encounter with one team without much difficulty. The work put into building up a second team isn't worth the opportunity cost by comparison.
Again, you're also periodically forced to use certain party members but the game's pretty lenient and the very few times the game leans very hard on forced parties, the stints are short and the encounters easy.

Wait, actually, there is one sidequest you can start midgame that if you start as early as the game allows you to do it can kick your ass. Minor, non-story spoiler:
You lose 90% of your materia and the quest tasks you with getting it back, after trekking through a region of monsters that may or may not be stronger than you.
You can't stop it once you've hit the trigger but you should be fine so long as you save regularly as you can't trip the last flag for it without exploring and you have a chance to save before without losing too much progress (although to be clear, the fact that you're about to trip the flag is not made explicitly clear to you).

Last edited:

Nymphae

Banned
You lose 90% of your materia and the quest tasks you with getting it back, after trekking through a region of monsters that may or may not be stronger than you.

You lose 100% of it IIRC, I just did this last week. Just keep a handful of decent saves and you will never have a problem with that game.

Teslerum

As already mentioned you are fine. Superbosses aside. as with most/any other Final Fantasy's (Except maybe FFX without using cheap tactics (Seymour/Yunalesca)) there's not enough to worry about to go out of your way.

Unless you want a bit more of a challenge, in which case New Threat Mod is a good start if your on pc.

Battle Balancing
-) Curve of Progression:
+ Intended to be moderate with a stable curve to the end.
+ Grinding not intended to be required but EXP is freely available if needed.
+ NOT a Hard-Type mod, though some difficult optional encounters exist.

FF7 NT's aim is to avoid the label of being a 'hard-type' hack, the name of which
carries a stigma of punishing fights, HP bloated enemies, and unfair mechanics.
The goal with this mod is to strike a balance between being accessible while also
having enough weight in its combat to make it satisfying to play.

That's not to say there aren't some excellent hard-type mods out there; Gjoerulv's
Hardcore mod is the best you'll find for testing your knowledge of FF7 mechanics to
its limits. But NT is trying to occupy a spot that's around the midcore area;
something that can be played casually while enjoying the enhanced features present.

Players will be looking for, and expecting, different things from their FF7 playthrough and
it's impossible to cater for both extremes. Instead, NT looks to cover as wide an area as
possible in the middle; for players who hit a problematic spot, grinding for additional
levels/items is easier than it was in the base game. For players wanting a more serious
challenge, optional encounters can be found and the Arrange Mode (hard mode) setting may
provide that challenge.

Last edited:
Top Bottom