• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Coming Out On Top (An Adult Gay Dating Sim) |OT| I'm gay, high five!

32X0Zq3.png

Please read the thread rules at the bottom of the OT before posting, this is very important in order to make sure this topic stays on course and within the GAF guidelines. Also, please note that any links in the OT, while not directly, might potentially lead to NSFW material. Thank you.

Coming Out On Top
Developer: Obscurasoft
Publisher: Obscurasoft
Platform: PC
Genre: Visual Novel/Adult Gay Dating Sim
Release Date: Dec 11th, 2014 [Worldwide, English version]
Steam release TBA!
Official Website

gfeeMto.png

What is Coming Out On Top?

Coming Out On Top is an adult gay dating sim/visual novel for the PC developed by Obscurasoft. Coming Out On Top (COOT) is the story of college student Mark Matthews. After coming out as a gay man to his two best friends, Mark must navigate through his final semester of college, while hopefully finding love along the way. With six eligible(?) bachelors to pursue and a variety of humorous and harrowing situations to experience, will Mark finally be free to live his life the way he wants? Or will it all be too much, too fast?

COOT features an extremely hilarious and heartfelt script by Obscura, founder of Obscurasoft. (She also drew the character sprites.) Scene CGs are provided by the very talented doubleleaf.

COOT was the first gay themed game to be successfully Kickstarted, and is the product of two years of hard work and dedication from Obscura and her team. It's also the first gay dating sim to be commercially developed in North America, and only the second gay dating sim commercially released in English ever. (There has been some other PC games featuring gay characters and content, but mostly of an underground nature.) If you are interested in games starring gay characters in adult situations, or just in quality visual novels, I hope you'll consider giving Coming Out On Top a try.

wB5koSd.png

NWzUPgb.png

Mark Matthews
Our protagonist. Mark is sweet and smart, your average run of the mill college student. Entering his final semester at Orlin University, Mark appears to be a well adjusted and friendly young man, living his life leisurely, or at least that's what his friends and family thought. In reality, Mark has been hiding his sexuality for years, and has decided that now is the time to be true to himself. This is where the game begins. What happens next to Mark is up to the player...

bHEKAIw.png

Ian Manachevitz
One of Mark's best friends, Ian is charming and affable, if not a tad impetuous. Studying to be a zoologist at Orlin U, Ian is seen as a ladies' man and a bit of a rascal by his peers. But his friends know that he is deep down a friendly and easygoing guy that would do anything for the people he cares about. Ian couldn't be more supportive of Mark after coming out, and even offers to be his wingman, but it seems after Mark's admission some other feeling are also coming to the surface...

bfcegUW.png

Alex Davies
Witty, intelligent and devastatingly handsome, Alex is one of the first men to show interest in Mark after he comes out. But not all is as it seems with Alex, and some very tricky obstacles stand in the way of any potential romance between the two. It doesn't help that some individuals may want to use their burgeoning relationship as a weapon against them...

a0AYlHx.png

Jed Zhou
Mark's upstairs neighbour, Jed is a free spirit, through and through. Lead singer of a local punk band, Jed lives his life with reckless abandon, and is open to a great deal of "possibilities". Mark's first run in with Jed is something of a shock to say the least, but underneath the carefree veneer, Jed is a very warm and passionate man. But Mark and Jed come from two very different worlds, and what might seem like harmless fun at first might lead both men to realize something new about themselves...

EKZSNBI.png

Phil Healy
Son of a prominent politician and a new recruit into the US Army, Phil's existence is one of responsibility and dedication. Having no time for those without a firm direction in life, it may seem like forming any sort of bond with him is impossible, yet the way to Phil's heart is not as hard to find as it first appears. Can Mark find a way to connect with this stalwart but closed off young man...?

5XPyRgI.png

Brad Melnick
Star football player for the Orlin Otters, Brad lives the stereotypical jock lifestyle. Surrounded by girls, booze and drugs, Brad's college life is hanging on by a thread, and if he doesn't improve his grades this term, he'll loose his scholarship and kiss his dreams of playing pro goodbye. Mark offers to tutor Brad, but when a system of under the table deception comes to light, will Mark be able to guide Brad down the right path, or will he also become susceptible to it? And is tutoring the only thing on both men's minds...?

hK9841y.png

Amos Demirci
Owner of a local flower shop, Amos is a contemplative man with a romantic soul. A lover of animals, motorcycles and discussing poetry, Amos offers Mark a type of connection that one might not find within the confines of a university campus among his peers. But with age comes a penchant for stubbornness, and a very definite set of opinions and preferences...

Ks3Vhp2.png

Penny McLastName
Another one of Mark's best friends. Smart and snarky, Penny is full of ideas, some brilliant, others not so much. But she is a truly loyal and devoted friend to Mark, and wants nothing more than to see him happy. After trying to set him up countless times with her female relatives, Mark's coming out has suddenly opened up a whole new world of matchmaking possibilities...

Note: There is also one more secret route to discover, but it requires looking somewhere you might not think you'd find "romance".

qIhRtpN.png

JlAt5UZ.png
5KCpaif.png

Coming Out On Top is a visual novel, so the bulk of the gameplay will be reading text and making choices. (570+ choices spread over 250+ decision points.) There is also some light resource/stat management aspects, as you'll need to keep your grades up and your wallet filled if you want to have access to certain routes, not to mention staying in the good graces of your friends and the men you plan to pursue.

The game has 9 main routes, with multiple endings, good and bad. Ten stand alone mini-routes/dates are also included, free of charge.

Another cool feature of the game is the hair mod, so you can select whether or not Mark and the six main guys have beards and/or body hair. Each option had an individual toggle for each man, so you can have it exactly the way you want. These choices will be present on both the in-game sprites, and the CG scenes. (There is also a condom mod.)

JdCxuZA.jpg

FYI, there's a free demo for those that want to see what this game is about.

The Gallery update is now live, so make sure to upgrade to the newest version using your purchase link you got emailed to you after buying the game.

ZfWj5id.png

Screenshots/Artwork

Videos

Original Kickstarter Pitch Video (SFW)
Let's Play of the Coming Out On Top Demo (SFW)

Links

Official Website
Kickstarter Page
Official Obscurasoft Twitter Page
Official doubleleaf Twitter Page

eXNrPs1.png

Rock, Paper, Shotgun S.EXE (Contains Spoilers, slightly NSFW)
I think Coming Out On Top is one of the best, if not the best game I’ve covered on S.EXE, simply because it’s so robustly made, so replayable, surprising and so full of wit and the art is so tastefully hot. Most of the times I replayed I didn’t even use the ‘skip’ button for the text, just because it’s so effervescently written.

GayGamer.net (Contains Spoilers)
It’s a great treat for those of us who are happy to play something that’s happily queer. Games like that don’t come across too often, and it’s wonderful to be able to recommend Coming Out On Top not just because it’s unabashedly queer, not just because we should support artists and developers who support us, but because Coming Out On Top is a lot of fun. Bring on the sequel.

Cliqist (Contains Mild Spoilers)
This visual novel contains a variety of boys to pursue with lovely, even touching, storylines for each. Along with great art and tons of dialogue choices there’s at minimum 10 hours of gameplay to enjoy to complete everything. It is likely to never be on Steam due to 18+ content, but you can support the developer directly by buying Coming Out On Top through their website.

hGS0lhj.png

--Please Read This Section Before Posting--

Alright everyone, please listen up. Coming Out On Top is an adult gay dating sim that features nudity, sexual content and overall mature scenarios. The rules for what's permissible on GAF have not changed so please do not think that just because this thread got mod approval that we can skirt the rules. Absolutely no images of nudity of sexual activity can be posted in this thread, or even linked to. Touching, kissing, shirtlessness, etc, are all fine, but no adult content, period.

Sex scenes may be alluded to in a general SFW fashion, (ie. "The scene between Mark and Mr. X in the lockerroom was really hot.", or "I really enjoyed seeing the culmination of Mark's relationship with so-and-so.")

Example of what is NOT okay "My favorite part was when Mark stuck his
REDACTED
into blank's
REDACTED
and got
REDACTED
everywhere!" If you can't post it elsewhere on GAF, you can't post it here either, simple as that.

We all want this OT to be a fun and productive place to discuss this game. Adult game OTs are a new thing on GAF, so this thread is going to be monitored heavily, so don't think your posts will go unnoticed. I'm not trying to scare people off, I just want everyone to be clear about it so that we can build off this experience to future topics of similar nature. Thanks.

xa7rVdg.png

This game is blazing a lot of new territory, for gaming in general and on GAF specifically, so please play nice and let's all try to make this OT a success. Constructive feedback, both positive and negative, are of course welcome, but please keep in mind that the rules of mutual respect and tolerance are very much in play here. GAF is an open and welcoming community for all gamers, and this OT wishes to embody that.

Thanks to Obscurasoft for making such a great game, and thank you for reading.

nl52v8U.png

I played through this for the first time last night, and quite enjoyed it!

But I thought h-games weren't really supposed to be discussed here? A few scenes I got were.... delightfully explicit.

.... never mind, I see you addressed that :)

bigkrev

Was going to post #tohairyforme, but glad to see they included options on beards/body hair

Probably not going to play this, but glad to see it exists!

Kevyt

Yes!! You used my title suggestion! :D. Can't wait to download the game! For folks wondering about the game, there is a playable demo (as it says in OT). There's also some Let's plays of it on YouTube.

Great job on OT Hours Left! :)

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
Those are some terrible tats on the Chinese dude. Also you'd be hard pressed to find such a strong jawline even among the biggest HK stars.

Delio

Oh I forgot this was coming out! I played the demo and loved it (Wish there was like one twinky option but whateves) Grabbing this for sure.

Brad>Jed>Ian>Phil>Alex, just so we're clear.

Seriously though all of the characters are done quite well. I actually like the best friend dynamic the most, Penny is a boss. Charming writing and some cool choices/options.

Also props, great OP.

Haly

Is it just me or is Brad literally Christ Patt ver. GotG?

bigkrev

Oh! If I had a PC, I'd get this. Any remote possibility of an Android port? Not begging, just asking!

From the official website:
6. What About Steam? Or iOS? Or Android?

Because of the erotic content in the game, it’s not going to happen any time soon. Please remind the people at iOS or Steam that if the public can handle gruesomely violent video games, they can probably handle illustrated pictures of people having sex, thanks!

Not sure about Android yet.

Sounds like there is actually a chance for an Android version- even if Google Play/Amazon rejects it, you can probably publish and monetize on Humble

Grizzo

Not a big fan of the graphics... that blonde, red-hair and dark brown guy kinda all look the same.

Other than that, this might be good. I'm intrigued.

Being able to give everyone chest + facial hair is amazing because it probably makes them all look 10x better if the example in the op is anything to go by.

Dee Dee

You can edit the hair on the dudes.

The fuck. Straight VNs need to steal this feature, stat.

So much this! Give hair-toggle now!!!

Also agreeing with the posters above claiming Brad is the right choice.

So ... will there be let's plays happening of this, or is it way past steamy?
Any info in the secret routes?
Are there horribly sad forever alone / let's just be friends endings?
Does it have stats mechanics where you need to spend time on workung out or whatever?

Gradon

My boyfriend showed me this on Kickstarter and was really excited for it.
So it's out now? I'm gonna have to buy it at some point, I'm not a massive fan of standard visual novels or dating sims but damn, that Brad.

Goldrush

Does it have stats mechanics where you need to spend time on workung out or whatever?

The game do have a cash, study, and friendship stat. However, it's not necessary except if you're chasing certain objective. This is more a choose-your-own-adventure type VN then a tokimeki memorial/persona type dating sims.

KiN0

This game actually reminds me a lot of the Eating Out series. Right down to the mix of campy dialogue and gratuitously detailed sex scenes

jzbluz

I kinda forgot about this and the art style is not my favorite, but bought! I'll try to get around to it tonight.

Mr_Zombie

I'm surprised this game just came out. I remember playing the demo a long time ago, but haven't followed the game's development.

Kudos for the developers for that hair switch. Such small feature, but with such great impact on guy's attractiveness ;)

That screen with Brad doing push-ups... :3

Jobbs

Banned
Just when I thought Alien Isolation was firmly my GOTY, things get interesting.

This is gonna be harder than I thought.

Mesoian

Is this game better than "My exboyfriend the space tyrant"? Because I feel like that game failed in such spectacular ways.

Haly

I feel like the CG is taking a lot of inspiration from Mentaiko. If it were black and white it could easily pass for something out of Priapus.

That "impossibly large, beautifully carved statue of a man" pose is also very Mentaiko.

Is this game better than "My exboyfriend the space tyrant"? Because I feel like that game failed in such spectacular ways.

I haven't played that but from your description, probably. COoT is only moderately ambitious, and I mean that as a good thing since it's actually able to succeed at what it sets out to do. Its strengths mainly rest on the writing, which while nothing astounding, it's charming and the characters generally all feel like real and distinct people, which is actually kind of neat considering the number of them, and not just the LIs.

IvorB

Wow. Did not expect this when I logged into GAF today. I'll take my time over this OT, make sure I get every detail. I don't have a PC though :-(.

thesaucetastic

Unconfirmed Member
I'm glad this exists. And the hair toggle is genius. Too bad I probably won't play this because I don't really play VNs in general.

It's also the first gay dating sim to be commercially developed in North America, and only the second gay dating sim commercially released in English ever.

So this means that "No, Thank You!!" will probably be the 3rd English gay dating sim commercialy released?

Anyways, I honestly wasn't watching this game compared to NTY, but it doesn't hurt to try the demo before making a final choice. As expected of a Western made game, there's more racial diversity in this compared to th Japanese made NTY, so that's nice. On the other hand NTY had more age diversity (romance options range from 24ish to 45ish).

Now that I think about it, it'd be fun to get both and compare them. It looks like I'm in after all.

Haly

Characters are way too gym-fantasy like, not cute. I will play it anyway, lol.

It's probably because twinks are over represented in VNs, as it's a Japanese dominated genre.

Top Bottom