• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Command and Conquer Remasters Coming For The Series 25th Anniversary

The_Mike

I cry about SonyGaf from my chair in Redmond, WA
The OS is godlike in comparison to Windows as it’s built for end user experience first and foremost so it’s rare for really anything to go wrong. Even MS Office runs on it better than Windows. Take Outlook for example, in Windows there is two sections for user profiles, control panel and in Outlook itself and you can’t always just use the one in Outlook and sometimes it even takes blowing the entire user account away just to change addresses over.

Mac on the otherhand ‘just works’ you go into outlook you change the email address line and that’s it. No creating brand new ones or anything, everything just works.

That’s just one example, hell, Windows 10 still has two control panels, it is a complete mess.

You don’t have to deal with regedit on Macs, blowing away apps is a breeze as the contents are compressed into a single file. Everything is just well thought out and due to that you barely get any issues.

I have no doubt that Apple is more user friendly, and windows indeed has its flaws.

But I still don't see why a gamer would buy a Mac.

Caffeine

he's not wrong but driver support could be better on mac, I remember having to use cider ports of games just for them to work on mac os, and they still had shadow and lighting bugs.
the whole settings interface they added to 10 is complete dog shit, and I still have to you og control panel to get stuff done.

nemiroff

Gold Member
I have no doubt that Apple is more user friendly

After more than a decade with Macs as my main computers (Mac Pros, and of course iphones..), and recently back to with Windows with Windows 10, Mac OS really isn't that intuitive as it sometimes sounds like. Parts of the experience is user friendly, but there's plenty of stupid stuff to criticize (remember, this is from the company that for too many years refused to put a second button on their mice, and their OS still is affected by that kind of "culture"...), and these days, believe it or not, as a old Mac fanboy I actually think Windows 10 is "better" and "snappier" overall.

Last edited:

bitbydeath

After more than a decade with Macs as my main computers (Mac Pros, and of course iphones..), and recently back to with Windows with Windows 10, Mac OS really isn't that intuitive as it sometimes sounds like. Parts of the experience is user friendly, but there's plenty of stupid stuff to criticize (remember, this is from the company that for too many years refused to put a second button on their mice, and their OS still is affected by that kind of "culture"...), and these days, believe it or not, as a old Mac fanboy I actually think Windows 10 is "better" and "snappier" overall.

You know a right-click function exists on Macs right? Just because there’s no physical button on their mice doesn’t mean it doesn’t exist. It’s just more clever about it.

Saying that you can just hookup any mouse if you prefer two physical buttons.

Last edited:

nemiroff

Gold Member
You know a right-click function exists on Macs right? Just because there’s no physical button on their mice doesn’t mean it doesn’t exist. It’s just more clever about it.

Saying that you can just hookup any mouse if you prefer two physical buttons.

I was talking about the culture of trying too hard to be different..

BigBooper

The message was written by Frank Klepacki, who was the original composer for the series. He's kept the classic soundtrack alive for decades. If he says there would be problems using the original sound from the game, I believe him.

This is the more expensive route to take, and they're taking it. EA would not allow them to do anything that cost more out of spite.

GenericUser

Something new, Red Alert 2 HD in the bottom right.

9x6lfiq6yik41.png

Last edited:

HE1NZ

Banned
Looks like release date might be announced on monday. Some news will be dropped and Jim hinted at editions of the game being discussed.

By the way, really dislike the way AI upscaled cutscenes look. Hopefully they can put less altered original cutscenes as an option.

Stuart360

Oh wow it looks quite nice, a bit of effort has been put in. The new ground textures look a bit plain though, needs more detail and texture.
I wonder why they stopped making C&C games, they were big sellers in their day, and you still get these kind of games on PC, and they usualy seem to sell well.

Oh wow it looks quite nice, a bit of effort has been put in. The new ground textures look a bit plain though, needs more detail and texture.
I wonder why they stopped making C&C games, they were big sellers in their day, and you still get these kind of games on PC, and they usualy seem to sell well.
EA made an online only C&C. The community went mental because there was no campaign and it was tied to servers, it flopped.

Afterwards EA shut Westwood down.

Fuck EA

Allandor

Well C&C 4 became reality.
EA had the feeling that C&C4 was what fans want and failed in more than one aspect. Really, I only paid 5€ for that game and still regret buying it. It pretty much destroyed all what C&C stood for.
And that after the great C&C 3 ...
Well and Red Alert 3 ... well they have completely overdone it.

Really hope C&C to come back with this remaster.
But I really don't like the screenshots so for. Looks like they just made an picture-enhancer for the game which doesn't look so well. They should do it like in StarCraft Remaster, so the game looks ok (for todays standards) but still has the old charme.

Btw, the Shadows are more than off in these screenshots. I know they were never correct in C&C but with this upscaled graphics they could at least add them to the Buildings and Units.

Looks like release date might be announced on monday. Some news will be dropped and Jim hinted at editions of the game being discussed.

By the way, really dislike the way AI upscaled cutscenes look. Hopefully they can put less altered original cutscenes as an option.

I hope you can choose between the original scenes and the enhanced videos. I'd take the pixels over the weird smear any day of the week.

By the way, the remaster is looking great! I love the fact that the devs remade all the sprites in high-res without replacing the original art-style.

McCheese

Oh lord, the stuff that made it into the cutscenes was so bad it was good, so I can't imagine how cheesy the footage on the b-roll tapes must be, and they have 4 hours of it?!

It's weird seeing EA putting more love and care into a C&C remaster than Blizzard did with Warcraft III too, old papa EA can't hold a shotgun anymore and is telling the grandkids teary-eyed stories about all the ones that didn't make it.

Bolivar687

Banned
Sounds amazing, love the passion going into this.

I was hoping for a 3D update and thought this was too close to the originals but after looking closer at some of the images, I have a feeling this is going to look even better when we're actually playing it than we're expecting right now.

Getting access to 4 hours of previously-unseen b-roll video is going to be fantastic. Scoring an extra Frank Klepacki track as well is just icing on the cake. This will be a day one pick-up for me.

Has a physical release been mentioned at any stage during these development updates?
Wow. That has absolutely blown me away. I can literally see 25 years of passion in this man's eyes. This will be the first game I buy in 10+ years.

Top Bottom