• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Command and Conquer Remasters Coming For The Series 25th Anniversary

bitbydeath

I don't remember the last time I purchased an EA title but if they get this right I'll be there day 1.
Mac version please. :D

Following the reveal of Rivals, we heard you loud and clear: the Command & Conquer community also wants to see the franchise return to PC. And as a fan of C&C for over 20 years, I couldn’t agree more. With that in mind we’ve been exploring some exciting ideas regarding remastering the classic PC games, and already have the ball rolling on our first effort to celebrate the upcoming 25th Year Anniversary.

Jae Mara

When they say C&C rivals and the older games in the same breath I'm not hopeful.

All they have to do is get the art right and I'm probably in. Strange how some remasters make the games look worse...

Andyliini

I hope they are not too much changed from the originals, they are still playable, altough need some quality of life upgrades. The complete First Decade package deserves some sort of remasters, as they can be a pain to get working on a modern PC. Oh, and maybe Dune 2000 and Emperor: Battle for Dune deserve these too?

Hudo

Yeah, I've read this yesterday and I am split. On one hand, I am glad that EA acknowledges the existence of C&C. On the other hand, I am fucking frightened at what could happen when current EA touches C&C again. Last time we got C&C 4...

The last time they've touched Ultima, we got a fucking mediocre mobile game. Dungeon Keeper fans got it even worse with their mobile version of Dungeon Keeper...
I don't know, man. If the right people at EA work on C&C again, I'm all for it. But I doubt that management will leave the game alone with their "we need to engage with the consumer on a long term basis!" bullshit.

Last edited:

GenericUser

No thanks. OpenRA is all I need.
Open RA is missing most of the campaign missions iirc and runs like shit. If EA gets this right, I'll bite for sure. I love Command and Conquer. Comfy base building and tank rushing rules.
Besides that, Red Alert 2 is almost unplayable on windows 10. Game is crashing left and right. A great announcement!

Allandor

High quality FMV's?
I would like that, but I don't think that will happen.
1. the old video files also had bad artifacts
2. with higher resolution (just videos) you only see much more of the fake renderings

But I would appreciate all C&Cs (well not 4) as a remaster as a crash-free version. Even though there are many community-patches out there, the versions are really not stable on current machines/OSs.
I would really like something like they made with the StarCraft remaster, but for the Orignal C&C (also the original red alert), I need pixel units :)

Last edited:

God Enel

There isn’t a single series that was assfucked like command and conquer after EA bought Westwood. It’s a fucking disgrace how they butchered this universe/game. I won’t support this. At E3 they announced a mobile game. GTFO

Last edited:

xandaca

Which is the one with Tim Curry? I'd buy that again just for the accent.

EDIT: It was Red Alert 3:

Last edited:

DunDunDunpachi

Patient MembeR
I'd better be able to Shift + mouseclick on the main-menu speaker...

Something tells me they'll do one game at a time.

Last edited:

DonF

I remember playing C&C on DOS. God damn! RTS where the shit back in the day. I would get a cheap C&C, like I got Age of Empires II HD for like a dollar.

93xfan

Banned
With keyboard and mouse support on xbox, this could come to consoles. Loved this game back in the day

KyoZz

Tag, you're it.
EA...

giphy.gif

I'm just gonna wait for Age Of empire IV with the hope of a game close to Age Of Kings

mcz117chief

Great. I love all C&C games and wouldn't mind playing them all remastered. Most of them already work fine on modern systems with some tweaks but I would definitely buy it just to show my support for the series. Also, the 4th Command and Conquer isn't so bad, it plays pretty well, only the story and actors were pretty meh. I really enjoy the mobile base theme and would love to see more of that in the future.

Last edited:
Let me just remind the good folks here that Community has already done a lot of great things to keep Command & Conquers franchise still active...

mologo3.png

Command & Conquer - Mental Omega is the fan-made sequel to Red Alert 2 Yuri's Revenge, and to me it is absolutely amazingly good that i am surprised fans were able to keep this level of polish in a mod.
multiplayer runs smooth, and it runs great even on windows 10 machines. what specifically really love about Mental Omega is the soundtrack with artists like World Beyond that has a epic orchestrate with heavy guitars to get your blood pumping, and then you got Black Ice 9 who has provided tracks like this.

Also mental omega gets played and developers are still actively providing new content fixing it, but right now its as good as it gets.. if you never gave it a chance and is up for some CnC gameplay mental omega is as good as it gets. i have yet to dig really into the Campaign modes, but Skirmish in multiplayer ... and tons of game modes available like Coop on campaign missions. ts a game you can keep playing for fun for a very long time.

I have heard that there is a mod to Red Alert 3 that is also really great called Armor Rush, should be very popular in china.
https://www.moddb.com/mods/red-alert-armor-rush - i have yet to give it a try due to having so much fun with mental omega.

RAIDEN1

They should revive the 1st person version/republic commando like game set in the C&C Universe...

Last edited:
My first thought was "how will they worm those micro transactions into this one". This is EA after all, better chain down those expectations but if these are pure remasters with no EA additives, then that would be great.

Nitty_Grimes

Made a crappy phPBB forum once ... once.
This would be good as long as you can still build the sand bags outside the entrance to the enemy base like in the original and then they never attacked!

Futaleufu

They probably saw the good reception Starcraft Remastered had and want in. If they can find the old live action footage and release it in HD even better.

Last edited:

Hudo

They probably saw the good reception Starcraft Remastered had and want in. If they can find the old live action footage and release it in HD even better.
Yeah, that and how well Age of Empires 2 HD Edition sold / is still selling.

Spukc

always chasing the next thrill
it's so fucking annoying this game aint on steam
i just installed red alert 2 on my pc
from origin
purple screen

fuck you ea fuck you so so much

Last edited:

ISee

I'm buying this for one sole reason. Okay, for two:
1.) I love C&C
2.) I want to give EA an important lesson: There is a market for a SP focused C&C game.

But they will ruin it with lootboxes anyway, won't they?

Last edited:

Terra_Ex

EA never changes, they'll find a way to fuck it up. Even if it starts off positive and we get something decent out of it, whatever follows it up will undoubtedly herald the start of another steep decline. I haven't forgotten how you ruined the core series with the travesty that is C&C4, EA.

CJY

Banned
#fuckEA normally, but I’ll be down for a remaster of the first few games pending reviews.

PhoenixTank

I really want EA to do a better job than they did with the TFD compilation, but I just can't get my hopes up.
I'm still kinda salty about Westwood Studios.
Prove me wrong?

Rayderism

I always used to call C&C "electronic army guys", heh. Wouldn't mind having it on the PS4. I liked them up until the last couple, when it just started getting overly complicated.

Andyliini

To be honest, I would settle for a versions that run on Windows 10 without pathing the hell out of them. Sure, the early games would need some fixes for AI, graphix, resolutions and such, but mostly they are still completely playable games. Oh, and for old time's sake. how about a physical limited edition collection of the remaster(s) inside a big cardboard box?

This sounds too good to be true and since it's EA well fuck my life.

Real talk here, C&C worked nicely in the PS1, Halo Wars worked nice on the 360, it's possible to make these games for consoles. I'm asking because C&C should be a way bigger franchise than it is and I don't get it why it didn't cross over (or stayed there).

Last edited:

Ponti

At this point any attempt at revitalising RTS is welcome but considering it's EA the only remaster I'd be interested in seeing is a remaster of Westwood with EA immediatly taking a backseat.

Top Bottom