• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Command and Conquer Remasters Coming For The Series 25th Anniversary

Oh man, give me all the C&C games ever in one complete collection on the Xbox One, or even Steam, and I'm there.

Some of my greatest memories in gaming over the ages.

Sp3eD

0G M3mbeR
I would actually be really interested in a PS4 port as I want to see if they would use the Touch Bar for cursor moving. That would work quite well.

Legitimate remasters would be cool but the IP shouldn't be relegated to just ports and collections of the old games.

They should try an honest take on a new Command and Conquer RTS, playable on a controller and VR but not "streamlined" for consoles. Reboot Renegade into a AAA team shooter on giant battlegrounds with resources, vehicles and buildings ala Starhawk (just don't let DICE make it). Try a CnC MOBA or battle royale or something.

It's unfortunate EA has let the franchise linger in irrelevance when it has such a interesting universe and cast.

Hudo

If they remaster Tiberian Sun, they need to be careful as fuck. That game was one of the most atmospheric games I have ever played (And it's a RTS, mind you!). The feeling of post apocalyptic hopelessness on some of the heavily "infested/radiated" maps is amazing.

Holy shit yes, Red Alert 2 and Generals for me, plz. I know that there's no real hope but console versions too while you're at it. Granted I upgraded to a Surface Studio this past winter for design but those games would be amazing on that thing.

Bolivar687

Banned
Legitimate remasters would be cool but the IP shouldn't be relegated to just ports and collections of the old games.

They should try an honest take on a new Command and Conquer RTS, playable on a controller and VR but not "streamlined" for consoles. Reboot Renegade into a AAA team shooter on giant battlegrounds with resources, vehicles and buildings ala Starhawk (just don't let DICE make it). Try a CnC MOBA or battle royale or something.

It's unfortunate EA has let the franchise linger in irrelevance when it has such a interesting universe and cast.

I think experimenting with a Renegade reboot would be a great idea but they should leave that other stuff alone. Slapping the C&C brand on bandwagon knockoffs of popular genres would create a ton of bad will that would completely drown out any enthusiasm for the series. Dawn of War III is arguably the best looking RTS of all time but because it had a bright color palette and staggered objectives, grognards went on a crusade against it and no one bothered to learn how to play.

bosnianpie

I have fond memories of the early games and Red Alert 2 is among my favorite titles ever. However, seeing that EA is behind the initiative I will look at this with sceptical eyes, until we know exactly what they're offering. It's still nice to see them talking about a series they killed and buried.

I'd be mostly interested in Red Alert collection, normal C&C got very old and is kinda forgotten.

But if they want to make new game I'd have 0 trust in it as they would most likely want to make it online first.

nemiroff

Gold Member
I loved C&C, but why not do a remake of Dune 2 while we're at it...................................................:(

Last edited:

clyd

Neo Member
Amazing how time flies. I remember being so excited for the First Decade edition almost 13 years ago. I really hope this version has included support for widescreen and perhaps a zoom option. The new starcraft remastered edition has spoiled me, but the difference between EA and Blizzard is fairly huge.

Pc gaming sucks. Who wants to play rts on a 27 inch monitor when we could instead play it in a 65 inch hdtv?

Bring these games over to the Xbox One X, or PS5 and I’m in.

Halo Wars works well. No reason why CC won’t on consoles.

It’s an amazing franchise that EA has abandoned like they did with Burnout. Gamers are clamoring to get these remastered onto consoles but EA prefer to leave money on the table.

Last edited:

nemiroff

Gold Member
like Dune 2000? Or do you want a remake of the remake?

Dune 2000 is fine, but it's still two decades old, I bet there are exciting and appealing things to add to a (another) fresh take on the original. I'd like a high production value experience, fully 3D modeled and first person optional, thank you :)

sol_bad

Last edited:

Hudo

PC games look pretty good on my 55inch TV and play well with my Dual Shock 4.
:messenger_beaming:

There are people in that Reddit thread advocating for cosmetic microtransactions. What the fuck is wrong with people, seriously?
Not sure how they would implement cosmetic microstransactions in C&C, though. Give your tanks a sombrero? The old games are "too lean" for this.

The_Mike

I cry about SonyGaf from my chair in Redmond, WA
When they say C&C rivals and the older games in the same breath I'm not hopeful.

All they have to do is get the art right and I'm probably in. Strange how some remasters make the games look worse...

Agreed. Warcraft 3: Reforged somehow looks worse than the original for me. Like the scenes been done in 3D Max. Art has doesn’t even look like Arthas.
Warcraft-3-reforged-980x620.jpg

The C&C game I really want to experience as a remaster is Generals. I really enjoyed that.

BRING BACK TIBERIUM!

I just want them to wipe C&C Tiberium Dawn out of existence and make a New C&C 4

Talk about different opinions :p

Last edited:

Agent_4Seven

Tears of Nintendo
Talk about different opinions :p
What....? It was a cool concept, the problem was that no one knew what to make of it and now I think is the right time to let old Westwood guys figure it out. Unless of course EA didn't thrown all of the games asset into toilet.

Did you guys forgot about Renegade and that it wasn't a bad game even though so different from the original RTS games?

Last edited:

Shotpun

What....? It was a cool concept, the problem was that no one knew what to make of it and now I think is the right time to let old Westwood guys figure it out. Unless of course EA didn't thrown all of the games asset into toilet.

Did you guys forgot about Renegade and that it wasn't a bad game even though so different from the original RTS games?

It didn't help that C&C4 started as a multiplayer only PvP game that got forcibly shoehorned into full sequel, EA being EA.

Also I imagine Nacery meant Tiberian Twilight, not Tiberian Dawn. Dawn is the very first game.

Agent_4Seven

Tears of Nintendo
It didn't help that C&C4 started as a multiplayer only PvP game that got forcibly shoehorned into full sequel, EA being EA.
Well I'm sure you understand that by mentioning Renegade game in relation to Tiberium I was trying to,... well, you know, tell people that the game in FPS genre can work if you have the right kind of people to do the job.

Last edited:

Shotpun

Well I'm sure you understand that by mentioning Renegade game in relation to Tiberium I was trying to,... well, you know, tell people that the game in FPS genre can work if you have the right kind of people to do the job.

Sure, not saying that concept couldn't be made to work as a single player game. This one just got started badly from the get go and taking so different route for a game thats supposed to finish a beloved series is, well, a bit ballsy.

Late edit: right, you've been talking about Tiberium the whole time and I've been talking about Tiberian Twilight, my oopsie.

Last edited:

JohnnyFootball

GerAlt-Right. Ciriously.
I don't ever see people talk about it, but I absolutely loved Command and Conquer 3 and it's expansion, Kane's Wrath. I was very disappointed that they never built off of that.

I didn't like Red Alert 3 all that much because it was wayyyyy too cheesy and having 3 factions was a bit too much and each faction never got their chance to shine.

mcz117chief

C&C 4 was horrible in every way possible

Played it, finished it and enjoyed it. It wasn't as good as the previous games, it felt off in a number of ways but I immensely enjoyed the mobile base concept. Reworking that game into a moba esque game could be phenomenal. Something like this: a large map with two major bases on each side with units being produced from both by an ai companion that is on GDI side regular army and on NOD side some militia, guerilla, renegades, etc. Players would pick a walker/ flyer, move around the map claiming tiberium fields, oil derricks, special buildings, etc. etc. Could be really cool.

Last edited:

Dada55000

I don't ever see people talk about it, but I absolutely loved Command and Conquer 3 and it's expansion, Kane's Wrath. I was very disappointed that they never built off of that.

I didn't like Red Alert 3 all that much because it was wayyyyy too cheesy and having 3 factions was a bit too much and each faction never got their chance to shine.

Eh? RA3 was a mishmash of C&C3 and RA2, with the quirkiness set to max. It's not like the scrin got a good showing in C&C3. I'd assume on a gameplay level, people that like TW would enjoy RA3, even if they prefer TW. Both Tiberium Wars and RA3 played like Generals at the core level, so you might enjoy Gen+Zero Hour.

Played it, finished it and enjoyed it. It wasn't as good as the previous games, it felt off in a number of ways but I immensely enjoyed the mobile base concept. Reworking that game into a moba esque game could be phenomenal. Something like this: a large map with two major bases on each side with units being produced from both by an ai companion that is on GDI side regular army and on NOD side some militia, guerilla, renegades, etc. Players would pick a walker/ flyer, move around the map claiming tiberium fields, oil derricks, special buildings, etc. etc. Could be really cool.

That sounds like a game even less people would want than C&C4. The point of MOBA is to get rid of all the unit-, base- and resource management and only focus on 1 hero unit and their progression. It's how you can get away with having a boring as fuck 3 lane map and nothing else. Conversely, RTS needs variety in maps, units, and scenarios, with different goals. 4 was bad enough, now make it into a MOBA? Least of all worlds, dead on arrival.

Last edited:

mcz117chief

That sounds like a game even less people would want than C&C4. The point of MOBA is to get rid of all the unit-, base- and resource management and only focus on 1 hero unit and their progression. It's how you can get away with having a boring as fuck 3 lane map and nothing else. Conversely, RTS needs variety in maps, units, and scenarios, with different goals. 4 was bad enough, now make it into a MOBA? Least of all worlds, dead on arrival.

I don't think so. I think it could work. Having a mobile base instead of a hero and be able to produce unique units for each walker/flyer would be very fun.

Last edited:

Laserschwert

Neo Member
So, will the cutscenes be re-rendered at 1080p? Or completely re-done up to modern standards? Live action was most likely shot only in standard definition video, so that'll provide a problem...

Andyliini

So, will the cutscenes be re-rendered at 1080p? Or completely re-done up to modern standards? Live action was most likely shot only in standard definition video, so that'll provide a problem...

This could be a problem. They could of course reshoot the scenes with new actors, but I'm afraid that if they go that route, they'll just do the cutscenes in CG and have someone re-read the lines. Maybe just me, but the one fascinating thing about C&C was always curscenes with real actors. No matter how cheap the backgrounds looked like.

I hope they are not too much changed from the originals, they are still playable, altough need some quality of life upgrades. The complete First Decade package deserves some sort of remasters, as they can be a pain to get working on a modern PC. Oh, and maybe Dune 2000 and Emperor: Battle for Dune deserve these too?

Dune 2000 remake on frostbite :messenger_savoring:

I don't trust EA and FFS nobody should. But as long as it's you they ripping off, I'm just sad for the franchises.

Of course they'll fuck it up, and do a crap remake without FMV, without the right adaptation to the original UI, text, sound, music etc...OF COURSE there will be microtransactions...

IbizaPocholo

NeoGAFs Kent Brockman
https://www.3djuegos.com/noticias-v...levaba-tiempo-queriendo-trabajar-con-command/

Taking advantage of a chat with the team responsible for the promising Conan Unconquered, in 3DGames we wanted to ask them about the origin of the remasterings.

"We've been talking to EA for quite some time in order to get involved in any way with the Command & Conquer universe," says the Petroglyph team. "As they say, the right time is everything," they continue, and market circumstances led the two companies to reach an agreement.

"Fans' desire to see a Command & Conquer video game on PC, plus the release of Command & Conquer Rivals and remasterings of other strategy games finally helped us reach that point and approve the remastering of the original C&Cs.

Since the team is now promoting Conan's video game for Funcom, we at 3DGames were curious and asked about the chosen title, which phonetically sounds very similar to Command & Conquer. Was it intentional? I'd say it's a happy coincidence," they explain; "people in the office noticed it once they put the title on.

Top Bottom