• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Command & Conquer Generals 2: No single player campaign at launch

Nibel

Speaking with PC Gamer, Bioware Victory general manager John Van Caneghem explained that Generals 2 will not launch with a single player campaign, and that both co-op and PvP skirmishes will serve as the game’s focus.

Caneghem did reveal however, that more modes could be added to the game if the community demand is high enough, including a story mode.

Speaking of where the game may evolve over time, Caneghem added, “We decided to choose Generals as the first set of games we build under the universe, but we’ll be expanding after that, like Tiberium and Red Alert as well as some others as well. But Generals 2 was the first one, and it was one of the biggest sellers, as well as the fanbase has been asking for it for some time.”

Source

A C&C without single player campaign?

iN0McdtqvFx67.gif

This is ok with me; I hardly play through all the SP content in RTS games (Warcraft 3 an exception). Now I'm curious to see how far they will push the F2P angle... will it have live streaming built in?

Nibel

Command and Conquer SP used to be special you know: crazy ass story, great (!) cutscenes with real actors and tough mission design.

Singleplayer games are a dying medium, people

This is ok with me; I hardly play through all the SP content in RTS games (Warcraft 3 an exception). Now I'm curious to see how far they will push the F2P angle... will it have live streaming built in?

SP content in command conquer is usually gold stuff. The NOD campaign in tiberium SUn is glorious (same in firestorm post kabal or whatever).

firehawk12

Subete no aware
I feel like making an uninformed BioWare joke here.

"They didn't include a decent single player campaign with their Mass Effect 3 slot machine multiplayer game, so why is this a surprise?"

Nibel

Mass Effect 3 had an amazing campaign - it was the ending that made it shitty. But that's not the subject of this thread and there has been enough discussion about it, so let's keep that out of this thread. :)

Woorloog

Banned
*sigh*... I don't mind free-to-play but no campaign?
Anyone remember Sole Survivor?

EDIT i don't belive we'll ever get the SP campaigns. Seriously.

Not necessarily a bad thing in it self. Campaigns were never that great and Generals was all about the MP, but I still think they're going to ruin the gameplay with some p2win approach.

yeah let's get rid of one of the best RTS campaigns, who plays those nowadays?

Whaaaat? I hate Starcraft, I hate Warcraft, I loved generals 1 & zero hour and I still think the prior games had better campaigns.

Dance Inferno

Unconfirmed Member
Not necessarily a bad thing in it self. Campaigns were never that great and Generals was all about the MP, but I still think they're going to ruin the gameplay with some p2win approach.

Speak for yourself, I always played C&C for the tongue-in-cheek crazy ass "hey let's make Einstein go back in time to kill Hitler so that Stalin can take over the universe" campaigns.

Speak for yourself, I always played C&C for the tongue-in-cheek crazy ass "hey let's make Einstein go back in time to kill Hitler so that Stalin can take over the universe" campaigns.

But Generals never had that, though.

Normal one or Zero Hour, they were pretty poor.

Rafaelcsa

I never got into General's campaign. It wasn't as good as other C&C campaigns. This is fine by me, as long as the multiplayer is as good as in the first game.

Black_Stride

do not tempt fate do not contrain Wonder Woman's thighs do not do not
Well thats one game i wont have to waste my time with, as much as I like C&Cs multiplayer i need my SP campaigns, looking at the designs i was really excited to see the characters they would have in this one.

Now its MP only i aint gonna bother.

P.S What are the chances they make the SP a separate microtransaction, like buy each armys campaign for XX dollars?

AppleMIX

Well thats one game i wont have to waste my time with, as much as I like C&Cs multiplayer i need my SP campaigns, looking at the designs i was really excited to see the characters they would have in this one.

Now its MP only i aint gonna bother.

P.S What are the chances they make the SP a separate microtransaction, like buy each armys campaign for XX dollars?

I'm sure they will. I imagine they'll start with a beta and roll into a soft launch. It seems they're focusing on nailing the multi first.

inky

IT'S F2P WHAT THE FUCK?!?!?!

F2P, no single player, always online... pretty sure it will be pay to enjoy (with boosters and Battlefield Heroes-like micro-transactions shit), maybe even pay to win. LOL, they might as well drop the Bioware game while they can before people add it to the grudge list.

VALIS

Welp, that about wraps it up with me and modern day video games. Between the ever-increasing emphasis on cut scenes and multiplayer, I am having a real tough time to find many games to be interested in these days. At least on the $50-60 level.

Vaporak

Command and Conquer is not the franchise to do this to. It's multiplayer scene was always pretty weak compared to contemporaries. What set it apart was how the single player campaign worked, crazy stories and live action cut-scenes in particular.

Black_Stride

do not tempt fate do not contrain Wonder Woman's thighs do not do not
Company of Heroes 2 it is then!

This was a given was it not?
The sequel to the greatest RTS ever.....im in as long as they dont announce its Multiplayer only and will have a fixed res frame buffer.

dalin80

Banned
They really are determined to completely kill the series, RA3 and C+C4 were abominations already so now they intent to drive off the last interested party, the hardcore SP'ers.

utter stupidity.

DXPett1

They really are determined to completely kill the series, RA3 and C+C4 were abominations already so now they intent to drive off the last interested party, the hardcore SP'ers.

utter stupidity.

What...RA3 was the most fun I have had with a RTS in a looooooooong time (Company of Heroes is obviously another).

Also, did EA/Bioware rename this title to just Command & Conquer recently?

Top Bottom