• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Communities Forum Reboot

EviLore

Expansive Ellipses
Staff Member
Hi there, GAF. We're rebooting the Communities section with a fresh start, clearing out dead space, and consolidating the Gaming Community section and Off-Topic Community section back into one area. This will be our spot for long-term |OT| discussion, multiplayer groups, matchmaking, and some off-topic communities (we'll organize them separately again if there's enough interest/activity).

The threads for both sections are still available to browse in the Forum Archive area. I encourage the creation of new threads here in case of old threads created by members no longer with the community that were continuing to be used, or dead threads.

If you'd like a thread to be moved over and it hasn't, just ask and we'll be happy to help.

Hi there, GAF. We're rebooting the Communities section with a fresh start, clearing out dead space, and consolidating the Gaming Community section and Off-Topic Community section back into one area. This will be our spot for long-term |OT| discussion, multiplayer groups, matchmaking, and some off-topic communities (we'll organize them separately again if there's enough interest/activity).

The threads for both sections are still available to browse in the Forum Archive area. I encourage the creation of new threads here in case of old threads created by members no longer with the community that were continuing to be used, or dead threads.

If you'd like a thread to be moved over and it hasn't, just ask and we'll be happy to help.
Please move MLB Playoffs OT

Also the Warframe OT

Last edited:

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
Can you move my 52 Games, 1 Year challenge thread here? It seems like it makes more sense being here instead of mixed in with all the gaming news threads.

Cheers

EviLore

Expansive Ellipses
Staff Member
Can you move my 52 Games, 1 Year challenge thread here? It seems like it makes more sense being here instead of mixed in with all the gaming news threads.

Cheers

Sure, done.

JORMBO

Darkness no more
Do you have the ability to transfer an old OT over to a new owner if the previous thread creator left two years ago? Not sure if the forum software would support changing the original thread creator.

God Enel

I love the idea of putting the communities into communities, though I think it would still be good to have gaming communities and ot communities separated, So that isn’t a mix between those two.

communities
-> gaming
-> Off Topic

What do you guys think?

EviLore

Expansive Ellipses
Staff Member
I love the idea of putting the communities into communities, though I think it would still be good to have gaming communities and ot communities separated, So that isn’t a mix between those two.

communities
-> gaming
-> Off Topic

What do you guys think?

As explained in the OP, we only had a handful of active threads in Off-Topic Community. Back in the day, before we had enough threads to support a separate OT C forum, we consolidated things in the same way as here. It makes sense to go back to that to reduce the number of sections to click on and encourage growth of the sections we have. We'll continue to evaluate as we go.

greyshark

Almost every thread in this section has an OT tag on it, which seems a bit redundant. Do we need that tag here considering most threads will likely be OT’s of some kind?

Bill O'Rights

Seldom posts. Always delivers.
Staff Member
Almost every thread in this section has an OT tag on it, which seems a bit redundant. Do we need that tag here considering most threads will likely be OT’s of some kind?

It will be a bit of a hangover when we move OT's from the main forums. We did tidy up tags earlier and consider it as it pushed the titles out. We have no strong preference so I'll remove them and we can see what it looks like :)

Nymphae

Banned
I'll wait to see how this shakes out, but currently not a fan. I don't ever go to the communities section, I don't "get" it. I go to gaming for gaming threads, politics for politics, and OT for everything else, that one doesn't feel necessary to me. Also I still strongly dislike the visual impact of the tagging system and I wish I could hide them or something, I personally don't think I'm ever going to use the tag functionality, and I find it visually distracting.

What is the rationale for the thread moves? I don't get why Clown World would be a better fit in Communities and not the Politics board.

Last edited:

Tesseract

Banned
everything is pretty chaotic now, it's hard to get a read what is where and why

i think it'll stabilize over the coming weeks tho as communities consolidate

gonna have to sift through threads i'd like to keep (fitness will be one of them) and make new duplicate threads wherever possible (permitted)

hoping older members won't mind if we copy and paste their templates into new threads

Last edited:

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
I'll wait to see how this shakes out, but currently not a fan. I don't ever go to the communities section, I don't "get" it. I go to gaming for gaming threads, politics for politics, and OT for everything else, that one doesn't feel necessary to me. Also I still strongly dislike the visual impact of the tagging system and I wish I could hide them or something, I personally don't think I'm ever going to use the tag functionality, and I find it visually distracting.

What is the rationale for the thread moves? I don't get why Clown World would be a better fit in Communities and not the Politics board.
This seems like a return to GAF Communities in the past, at least that's the way I see it. Stuff belongs here if it's an ongoing thread that isn't centered around a particular piece of news or an event. While it would be okay to post something like "Steam adds new giraffe mascot" as a thread on gaming side, it wouldn't really fit here. In communities, we should have a dedicated Steam thread (I need to get on that, actually) where people could discuss the news of the day as well as coordinating multiplayer sessions or talking about the latest game releases. Having said dedicated thread on the gaming board means it's continued bumping might otherwise stagnate and get in the way of Steam-related news threads that actually belong there.

Mods feel free to correct me if I'm misunderstanding it though.

Can we have a thread about wargame? There are some great title coming our way in 2019-2020: Radio Commander, Burden of command (out), Warplan, Panzer Korps 2, Unity of Command 2, Command Modern Operation etc.

decisions

I'm not really sure where to put this, but just a UI suggestion:

Forum category "Tags" are useful, but they are in a really annoying spot where they interrupt the process of just reading thread titles if you are not looking at things in a specific category and just generally don't look very good. I think these tags should replace the orange GAF logos on the side of each thread, which are totally pointless to begin with.

Kazza

Would it be possible to move the Saturn thread over? Although it's a pretty old one (started 3rd of Jan 2012), it has still been pretty active recently, thanks in no small part to Daniel Thomas MacInnes Daniel Thomas MacInnes 's soft reboot of the thread on 21st Feb 2018. There has been a lot of nice content posted on there since then and it would be a shame to lose it all. Whoever oiriginally started the thread has long since been banned and deleted their OP. I would be willing to make a new one myself, if the content since Feb 2018 could be added. Maybe I'm asking for something that is technically unfeasible .

Last edited:

Daniel Thomas MacInnes

GAF's Resident Saturn Omnibus
Would it be possible to move the Saturn thread over? Although it's a pretty old one (started 3rd of Jan 2012), it has still been pretty active recently, thanks in no small part to Daniel Thomas MacInnes Daniel Thomas MacInnes 's soft reboot of the thread on 21st Feb 2018. There has been a lot of nice content posted on there since then and it would be a shame to lose it all. Whoever oiriginally started the thread has long since been banned and deleted their OP. I would be willing to make a new one myself, if the content since Feb 2018 could be added. Maybe I'm asking for something that is technically unfeasible .

I'll second this request. The Sega Saturn thread is doing very well and is quite active, with recurring posts by myself and several others. I also sent a PM asking if it was possible to repost a "starting" post to this thread, since the original author is long gone. If it were possible to move all the 2018-2019 content to a new Saturn thread, that would be excellent.

If that does happen, I'll be more than happy to put together an opening post.

EviLore

Expansive Ellipses
Staff Member
I'll second this request. The Sega Saturn thread is doing very well and is quite active, with recurring posts by myself and several others. I also sent a PM asking if it was possible to repost a "starting" post to this thread, since the original author is long gone. If it were possible to move all the 2018-2019 content to a new Saturn thread, that would be excellent.

If that does happen, I'll be more than happy to put together an opening post.

If you wouldn't mind creating a new OP, I can edit its timestamp and then attach all the 2018-2019 posts to it, sure.

Kazza

If you wouldn't mind creating a new OP, I can edit its timestamp and then attach all the 2018-2019 posts to it, sure.

That's great, it would have been a shame to lose all the previous content.

Daniel Thomas MacInnes Daniel Thomas MacInnes , Komatsu Komatsu was kind enough to create this logo for Saturn community thread, if you would like to use it:

uZXlzIi.png

I can create the new thread if you are short on time, but am more than happy to see you do the honours, being our resident Saturn omnibus.

Kazza

Thank you very much to everybody for their support and assistance, and especially to the fine staff at NeoGAF for all their hard work.

I will begin working on creating the new Sega Saturn thread immediately (Friday). Kazaa’s title artwork is excellent and it will definitely be used.

Great stuff, looking forward to the new thread, but I can't take credit for the artwork - thank Komatsu Komatsu for that.

Last edited:

Daniel Thomas MacInnes

GAF's Resident Saturn Omnibus

Good news, I have now finished and posted the Sega Saturn Community thread. You can follow the link to visit it directly. I will continue to make minor edits to the opening post (screenshots, mostly) in the coming days.

So no wargaming thread? Command: Modern operation and Unity of Command 2 are out this week. I'm so excited I can't stand it.

Shifty

I see we don't have an indie dev thread in the rebooted communities section. I'm not sure how active game dev GAF is these days, but it'd be cool to have somewhere to show things off.

Shall I spin up a new one?

Reactions: eot

ZombieTech

Neo Member
Howdy EviLore,

Hope I'm not bothering, but had a question. Is there a thread anywhere for website suggestions? I tried a search and not finding anything, perhaps I'm missing it somewhere.

Have a really awesome suggestion that I think might be great for this site, if it's possible to do it, just need to figure out where to put it (*suddenly imagines very colorful response* xD).

Last edited:
Top Bottom