• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Companies spend so much time trying to screw us, why isn't gifting a day 0 feature on all consoles / operating systems?

jigglet

Banned
Companies seem to get so devious about finding ways to get to our wallets, but this is one case where consumers are happily putting up their hands saying "yeah let us give you money" but they won't do it.

Since Wii first had it 15 years ago (not sure if it was the first), there have been so many consoles and operating systems where I've had to google "how to gift" only to find out I can't, including the Switch. This seems like a no brainer but yet again I'm here having to go online to find a place that sells foreign eshop cards, pay an international transaction fee, then have to send the code to someone externally via email etc. I had to do this recently on Android, and last gen I recall having to do it a few times but I can't remember which of my consoles.

And even on the platforms that offer gifting, most of them weren't there on day 1. We had to wait years.

Am I missing something? Is anyone else confused about why this seems to be such a low priority feature? Nintendo - the king of being ass backwards in terms of online features - had this FIFTEEN YEARS ago!

jakinov

It's not as high priority as the other OS and platform level features they worked on. Companies might split out larger teams into smaller teams responsible for different components too So the hypothetical store teams could have been busy redesinging the store, improving thing slike search, improving billing, trying to suppport more countries etc. Being able to gift things to your friends probably wasn't that important especially when digital wasn't as prevalent as it is today.

Nintendo prioritizes weird shit.

jigglet

Banned
It's not as high priority as the other OS and platform level features they worked on. Companies might split out larger teams into smaller teams responsible for different components too So the hypothetical store teams could have been busy redesinging the store, improving thing slike search, improving billing, trying to suppport more countries etc. Being able to gift things to your friends probably wasn't that important especially when digital wasn't as prevalent as it is today.

Nintendo prioritizes weird shit.

I'm not just talking about Nintendo though. It's a low priority for every company out there, every single one has dragged their feet on it.

I'm not just talking about Nintendo though. It's a low priority for every company out there, every single one has dragged their feet on it.
Not Apple, that was one of the first features they came up with when they launched iTunes. They also had an option called "allowance" where a parent would set a monthly amount their kids could spent on itunes. That was amazing and it's really weird how you can't do that today.

Last edited:

radewagon

Yeah... it's kind of weird. You'd think they'd want to make it easier for people to spend money on their platform. Like, at this point, I would have wasted hundreds (maybe thousands) of dollars already just on jokingly buying countless waifu games for my brother.

I have gifted my friends games on Xbox several times. That might explain why MS has so much money now thanks to the gifting racket.

Spukc

always chasing the next thrill
Yeah... it's kind of weird. You'd think they'd want to make it easier for people to spend money on their platform. Like, at this point, I would have wasted hundreds (maybe thousands) of dollars already just on jokingly buying countless waifu games for my brother.

uhhuh

Sure Jan GIF

hemo memo

Gold Member
I don’t know about Xbox but Switch is barebones and PS5 is probably the laziest OS launch in a machine including cheap smart televisions so no wonder that feature is not there.

hybrid_birth

Gold Member
You don’t get a 2 trillion dollar market cap without game gifting. 😅

The 2 companies that have gifting also have 2 trillion dollar caps.

Math.
calculating the hangover GIF

Mon460f.jpg

Old fashioned playstation gifting.

One trillion dollar company almost got rid of physical game gifting. (MS)

Top Bottom