• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Comparing Switch's "Evergreen" top selling software to the best selling platforms of all time (DS, PS2)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Marty-McFly

Banned
Evergreen selling software stays on top of the charts month in and month out, and I believe this is the biggest driver behind explosive hardware sales over the long term, especially when these titles are exclusive to a platform.

Red = 30 million + sellers
Blue = 20 million + sellers
Green = 10 million plus sellers.

Nintendo Switch
Userbase (89.04 million)
Years on market (4)

1 Mario Kart 8 Deluxe - 37.08 million
2 Animal Crossing New Horizons - 33.89 million

3 Smash Brothers Ultimate - 24.77 million
4 Zelda BOTW - 23.20 million
5 Pokemon Sword and Shield - 21.85 million
7 Super Mario Odyssey - 21.40 million

8 Pokemon Let's Go - 13.57 million
9 Splatoon 2 - 12.45 million
10 Ring Fit Adventure - 11.26 million

Nintendo DS
Userbase (154.02 million)
Years on Market (9)

1 New Super Mario Bros. - 30.80 million
2 Nintendogs (all versions) - 23.96 million
3 Mario Kart DS - 23.60 million

4 Brain Age - 19.01 million
5 Pokemon Diamond and Pearl - 17.67 million
6 Pokemon Black and White - 15.64 million
7 Brain Age 2 - 14.88 million
8 Pokemon HeartGold and SoulSilver - 12.72 million
9 Animal Crossing Wild World - 11.75 million
10 Super Mario 64 DS - 11.06 million

PS2
Userbase (155 million)
Years on Market (13)

1 GTA San Andreas - 17.33 million
2 GTA 3 Aspec - 14.89 million
3 Gran Turisimo 4 - 11.76 million

4 GTA Vice City - 9.801 million
5 Final Fantasy X - 8.5 million
6 GTA 3 - 8.105 million
7 MGS2 - 7 million
8 Tekken5 - 6 million
9 Final Fantasy7 - 6 million
10 Kindom Hearts - 5.9 million

Last edited:

Marty-McFly

Banned
I didn’t realize smash ultimate sold so much

also whoa. Puts those sales into perspective
This is the reason why I think the Switch is going to smash every record ever made in gaming.

No other platform in history has accumulated this many evergreens.

Not only the games I listed here, but it already has several other games about to pass the 10 million mark waiting in the wings, and it's barely getting warmed up.

Most of them are exclusive as well which makes their impact exponential.

How can the Switch stop selling like wildfire with all of this napalm behind it?

Last edited:

DenchDeckard

Moderated wildly
Zelda deserves it so much. Nintendo genuinely put every one else to shame.

It cracks me up that there's hard-core Sony and xbox fans fighting out day in and day out and Nintendo are like these guys just ninja style tip toeing through the battlefield with litwral sacks of pure gold and no one looking at them.

Fan boys ripping themelselves apart on each side of the great war with Nintendo just like...."what...your game sold 15 million copies....and cost 300 million to make.....how cute....."

Last edited:

Marty-McFly

Banned

It cracks me up that there's hard-core Sony and zbox fans fighting our day in and day out and Nintendo are like these guys just ninja style tip toeing through the battlefield with litwral sacks of pure gold and no one looking at them.

Fan boys ripping themelselves apart on each side of the great war with Nintendo just like...."what...your game sold 15 million copies....and cost 300 million to make.....how cute....."
This is where they learned how to fight in 1889 (looks remarkably like a 2D fighting game backdrop :messenger_ok: ).

5ffe555f7f2112e280d92876_https%253A%252F%252Fbucketeer-e05bbc84-baa3-437e-9518-adb32be77984.s3.amazonaws.com%252Fpublic%252Fimages%252Ff43e0f59-8133-4b83-b6ea-d95ac30eed37_8100x5644.jpeg

Last edited:

Robb

Gold Member
Neat, would be fun to see comparissons of even more systems.

I just realised that Mario Kart 8 (on Switch alone) is about to outsell Mario Kart Wii. Crazy stuff.

Also, points 8,9 and 10 on the Switch list should be green.

Marty-McFly

Banned
Neat, would be fun to see comparissons of even more systems.

I just realised that Mario Kart 8 (on Switch alone) is about to outsell Mario Kart Wii. Crazy stuff.

Also, points 8,9 and 10 on the Switch list should be green.
Fixed.

Top 10 Sony published Playstation exclusives (Playstation all time)

1. The Last of Us & The Last of Us Remastered (20.0 million) [2]
  2. Marvel's Spider-Man(PS4) (20.00 million)
  3. Uncharted 4 (16 million)[2]
  4. God of War (PS4) - 12 million[2]
  5. Gran Turismo 5 (11.95 million) [3]
  6. Gran Turismo 4 (11.73 million) [3]
  7. Horizon: Zero Dawn (10 million)[4]
  8. Gran Turismo II (9.37 million) [3]
  9. Gran Turismo Sport (8 million) [2]
  10. Crash Bandicoot (6.82 million)[5]

The top sellers overall on PS4 including third parties seems incomplete. I think our access to the data is somewhat limited.

Last edited:

Cutty Flam

Banned
I'm never gonna understand how Mario Kart 8 Deluxe sold so many copies. Mario Kart 64 and Mario Kart: Double Dash blow it out of the water when it comes to gameplay and courses. The best thing MK8 DX has going for it is a lot of content and the online is actually great

I think Sony and Microsoft picked the worst year to launch new systems.

Basically they were easing on PS4/XBO, while trying to make PS5/XBSX consoles for the holidays. There wasnt a single console available during the height of the pandemic besides Switch. Whatever was made, was sold. I never seen a game benefit so much as Animal Crossing. Everyone was asking me for it. The marketing was off the wazoo.

After this post. I was like thats weird. I started seeing celebrities with switches everywhere on the web. Youtube, etc.

Marty-McFly

Banned
You need to compare to the Wii and X360, too
X360 has some ridiculous CoD sales. Wii has some ridiculous sport sales
Top 360 games
1Kinect Adventures!24 millionNovember 4, 2010
2Grand Theft Auto V22.95 millionSeptember 17, 2013
3Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 314.72 millionNovember 8, 2011

I wonder what all of this means for collectability of Switch related stuff in say 15 years? Nintendo always had the nostalgia advantage, but with this many units out... on the other hand, some games are already hard to find because they were produced in small capacities when hw was below 20 MM or so.

Marty-McFly

Banned

It cracks me up that there's hard-core Sony and xbox fans fighting out day in and day out and Nintendo are like these guys just ninja style tip toeing through the battlefield with litwral sacks of pure gold and no one looking at them.

BOTW was the Kingmaker for the Switch. It's importance cannot be understated. By far the most important title because it complete sold the concept of a fully fledged AAA game that can be played on console/portable hybrid. It attracted the much needed hardcore crowd early in the Switch's shelf life and gave the console an elite status from the jump.

I wonder what the sales of last of us 2 are. You would expect it to eclipse the first one in sales.

Sony never released it on their recent financial report. I'm sure they are waiting for it to achieve some sort of milestone. I'm not sure if it will surpass TLOU1 tbh. TLOU 1 came out at the perfect time taking advantage of the zombie craze and had better word of mouth because of its fantastic story. Not that TLOU 2 was not an even better game in many regards, but I don't think -------'s brutal death sat well with a lot of fans of the franchise.

TLZ

Banned
Fixed.

Top 10 PS4 exclusives

1. The Last of Us & The Last of Us Remastered (20.0 million) [2]
  2. Marvel's Spider-Man(PS4) (20.00 million)
  3. Uncharted 4 (16 million)[2]
  4. God of War (PS4) - 12 million[2]
  5. Gran Turismo 5 (11.95 million) [3]
  6. Gran Turismo 4 (11.73 million) [3]
  7. Horizon: Zero Dawn (10 million)[4]
  8. Gran Turismo II (9.37 million) [3]
  9. Gran Turismo Sport (8 million) [2]
  10. Crash Bandicoot (6.82 million)[5]

The top sellers overall on PS4 including third parties seems incomplete. I think our access to the data is somewhat limited.
Top 10 PS4 exclusives:
GT 5, 4 and 2?

jerry scratching my head GIF by HULU

TLZ

Banned
Those are the highest selling Sony made exclusives of all time. Incorrectly labelled.

Fixed.
Something is off with your list. Do you mean top PlayStation exclusives of all time, or top PlayStation exclusives of all time published by Sony?

In any case, it doesn't look right. Uncharted 3 I think sold around 9 mil but it's not on the list.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom