• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Comparison between map size of MGS: The Phantom Pain and older MGS games

DieH@rd

Banned
Just unveiled in today's pre-E3 Kojipro video show. 1:1 comparison of game maps of every Metal Gear game.

2014-06-0514_44_19-kosyqw9.png

Phantom Pain gameworld is that bigass box. Half is Afghansitan, and half is hidden in white collor becuse Kojima is still not ready to unveil that area.

:O Kojima did not kid aroudn when he said that TPP will be 200x larger in landmass than Ground Zeroes.

/thanks Sn4ke_911 for the picture ;)
/I will update the OP when better image quality is found.
/Mods, pls add "MGS V" in the title :-/

Sn4ke_911

If I ever post something in Japanese which I don't understand, please BAN me.
Thanks Sn4ke_911 for the picture :p

jk, TPP will be insanely huge.

Edit: I screencapped this from the stream but hopefully we get a direct pic with better quality soon.

I wonder how interesting an open world that'll be. Also, I hope it's not like GZ where you have to go into a mission to go back into the open world. Very strange design.

Betty

Banned
I'm guessing the whited out section is a whole different area, maybe Africa. Though I wouldn't be opposed to the whole setting being the middle east.

KJRS_1993

much lesser than any ubisoft games

I bet you're a really chilled out, positive dude to hang around with.

Anyway, I hope most of this world contains actual content and not just wasteland. It confused me hugely when everyone was raving on how big the world is in GTA V when Hillbilly Land at the north of the map was around 90% desert.

Somnid

Yeah but the interest density is going to shrink to near zero. The previous MGS games were highly deliberate, every nook had a reason to be there. You could already see it going downhill in 3,4, Peace Walker. I hope whatever changes are in store use it well.

Zakalwe

Banned
Not sure if this should make me more excited or not.

I'm so numb to this stuff.

As others have said, if it's dense then good. If not then maybe the sense of scale helps immersion. As long as all this space is used effectively somehow.

Draft

I was just playing Metal Gear Solid the other day, thinking what this game needs is a big goddamn desert to wander around.

Picobrain

Banned
Jesus, I've bought Ground Zero when it came out and I haven't finished it yet. It will take me years to finish Phantom Pain.

Draft

Also, if half is Afghanistan, then why a big secret for the other half? Takes a second to search for a map online...

Gun Animal

I was hoping that the hospital and Afghanistan would be two smaller areas like Camp Omega, and that Africa would be the big open world. Still cool I guess, although I hope there's some kind of location variety and not just desert and more desert.

edit: you guys, the other half is obviously africa. don't be so dense.

mclem

Also, if half is Afghanistan, then why a big secret for the other half? Takes a second to search for a map online...

I assume that the second half is not actually physically next to Afghanistan, but a completely distinct location.

Although knowing Kojima, it could easily be a double-bluff. Or some inverted flip-Afghanistan for Reasons.

Shows you that a bigger game doesn't mean better game. The small corridor path that is MGS1 and 3 represents the best experiences I had with the series.

Shock-Wave

Neo Member
Large maps are fun and all - plus they act as a great showpiece - but it better be populated with loads of things to do that warrant its actual size. I don't just want developer posturing.

Boasting about the size of maps in games never impresses me. It could easily feel empty or overly big for the sake of it. I hope enemy placement and sneaking areas aren't ruined as a by product

Is the blurred out bottom left hand corner also part of the afghan setting, or is that another new location that hasn't been revealed?

Jonnax

Hopefully this doesn't turn out to be Metal Gear Solid: Ubisoft Game. They've most likely got a much smaller team so it may be harder for them to flesh the place out.

mclem

Boasting about the size of maps in games never impresses me. It could easily feel empty or overly big for the sake of it. I hope enemy placement and sneaking areas aren't ruined as a by product

It varies from game to game and genre to genre, but I can't say I've ever really played an Metal Gear title and particularly cared about how big the map is.

JJD

Huh? The map in Ground Zeroes is more open, but overall I didn't feel like it was bigger than all the areas on MGS 2...

Toa TAK

Banned
Hopefully this doesn't turn out to be Metal Gear Solid: Ubisoft Game. They've most likely got a much smaller team so it may be harder for them to flesh the place out.

Yeah, but at least it's a better excuse then having a shitton of people but only inhabiting the world with animus fragments.

I like a bit of empty space, certainly preferable to Ubi's approach of filling every inch of the world with crap. It's why RDR remains my favourite open world game by far.

Top Bottom