• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Compile Heart announces Black Rose Valkyrie for PS4

Dark_castle

Black Rose Valkyrie is a completely new RPG set in the first half of the 20th century where a hero, together with five heroines, battles monsters.

where a hero, together with five heroines

d452201d26c7a9b7292ab8634013e9d6.gif

NeonZ

Yeah, I think you are in for an unpleasant surprise if you think "investigating properly" is anything but a bad excuse for molesting those heroines.

Wouldn't they just have stuck with the Neptunia/Fairy Fencer F character designer in that case though? I think going with that new designer shows that they're trying to go with a different image for this game. And it's not like even those games got to that point.

Well it is still a harem-type scenario, can't deny that. And I expect the interview scenes to have at least some kind of innuendo every now and then. But other than that the game's art style doesn't lend itself to extreme pandering, so I think it'll be fine.

But I was wrong about Medabots so who knows ~

Li Kao

Well it is still a harem-type scenario, can't deny that. And I expect the interview scenes to have at least some kind of innuendo every now and then. But other than that the game's art style doesn't lend itself to extreme pandering, so I think it'll be fine.

But I was wrong about Medabots so who knows ~

Yeah I don't care one way or the other but the people that say it's 'finally a good CH game' are quick to forget two, let's say orange flags : investigations of your teammates and Live2d.

Falk

that puzzling face
Yeah, I think you are in for an unpleasant surprise if you think "investigating properly" is anything but a bad excuse for molesting those heroines.

Wouldn't they just have stuck with the Neptunia/Fairy Fencer F character designer in that case though? I think going with that new designer shows that they're trying to go with a different image for this game. And it's not like even those games got to that point.

Because Neptunia and Fairy Fencer are all about molesting heroines, right?

Riiight?

Anyone?

Yeah I don't care one way or the other but the people that say it's 'finally a good CH game' are quick to forget two, let's say orange flags : investigations of your teammates and Live2d.

What exactly about Live2D is an orange flag?

(Yes I'm well aware it's also used to simulate boingy bits)

Because Neptunia and Fairy Fencer are all about molesting heroines, right?

Riiight?

Anyone?

People who shit on CH games don't actually play CH games

Considering CH games have been steadily if slowly getting better over time and that Fairy Fencer F actually had surprisingly good voice acting, characters and story I am quite interested in this game.

I think CH/iF have been putting work in lately and it's starting to show

Tohsaka

I agree that it SOUNDS like they're positioning this brand to be the "JRPGs for people who play JRPGs outside of Japan" label, with all the games possibly getting close releases or simul releases in the US. But who knows, lol.

As far as the actual naming of the brand goes, yeah it's really nonsensically confusing.

The bolded would be nice. We're close to catching up to Japan with Compile Heart's localizations, they just have Death Under the Labyrinth and Neptune vs. SeHa girls left, so hopefully we get Black Rose in the west this year too.

Brew124

I am definitely interested in this. I enjoy Compile Heart games, despite all the negative things people say about them.

Maebe

Thought it sounded interesting but with 5 heroines, 1 hero + compile heart I guess it's going to have harem elements which can be pretty boring to me.

Pancake Mix

Copied someone else's pancake recipe
I really enjoyed Tales of the Abyss' somewhat divisive plot so I'm hyped for that writer. I will keep an eye on this for sure.

SephLuis

To be fair, why would someone play a gane they already think is shit? It's like Adam Sandler movies, you can usually tell from the trailer if that sort of thibg is for you or not!

Judging by some of the reactions, some people are conflicted they are interested in a CH game =P

Even if their games are somewhat formulaic, I guess you need to play at least one to see if you love/hate them

Chorazin

Provided it doesn't end up super molestery, I'm in.

Hell, maybe even if it does. The traitor mechanic seems cool.

Li Kao

Just that. I mean boingy bits simulator and "investigate signs of treachery" don't fill me with hope that the fanservice haters will really find something worthy here.
And by the way it's just for the sake of discussion, I'm not particularly interested for the time being but that's because it's still very early, don't care about fanservice or not.

Cautiously optimistic. I wonder if the whole traitor system is a riff on DanganRonpa and games of that ilk coming out recently. And if so I have no reason to believe Idea Factory's doing an about-face with more original ideas to begin with. The main benefit here for them is avoiding a Neptunia overdose for their Western PC fanbase, which is good because cash-cropping yourself into a corner won't do them good. Military-style Japanese wargame stories at least get briefing scenes and cool stuff like that.

To be fair, why would someone play a gane they already think is shit? It's like Adam Sandler movies, you can usually tell from the trailer if that sort of thibg is for you or not!
I think Sandler is shit, yet I don't go into discussions and tell people he molests women in his movies when he announces a new one!

This looks pretty cool but the randomized traitor worries me. I generally don't like this because I feel like it'll really limit character development.

They don't have to play the game, but it's annoying that they have to go into every single CH thread to openly mock them. There are franchises that I straight up hate but you don't see me going into threads to shit on games I know I'm not going to play.

It's kinda difficult to work out the artstyle or battle system from those tiny images, but the random traitor aspect has got my interest. Hopefully it'll be something you can properly address rather than just being all "you think that character is cool? too bad, they're randomly evil this playthrough!"

So it's perfectly fine if I go into every CoD announcement thread and start shit talking the game and audience based on the fact that I didn't like MW1 when I tried it 8 years ago? Because that's basically what every Compile Heart/Neptunia announcement thread turns into.

They don't have to play the game, but it's annoying that they have to go into every single CH thread to openly mock them. There are franchises that I straight up hate but you don't see me going into threads to shit on games I know I'm not going to play.

Exactly.

Brew124

This can't be stated enough.

Hikami

Don't usually play stuff from Compile Heart, I think Fairy Fencer F is the only one I've liked.. Definitely interested in this though.

Korigama

This looks pretty cool but the randomized traitor worries me. I generally don't like this because I feel like it'll really limit character development.
Basically this. Aside from disliking the idea of randomizing story elements in and of itself, the concept doesn't sound like it would lend itself well to yielding something with much in the way of actual depth. Seems like a poorly thought out excuse to increase replay value beyond changes in the story tied to choices made by the player.

Haven't played anything by Compile Heart, but probably would've been more interested if not for that addition.

Definitely an interesting concept. The scenario writer coming from Tales of the Abyss gives me a little bit of pause, but w/e. I've heard that Compile Heart treats their employees really well compared to other Japanese developers, so if that's true I hope they can really pull it off.

Hubb

Basically this. Aside from disliking the idea of randomizing story elements in and of itself, the concept doesn't sound like it would lend itself well to yielding something with much in the way of actual depth. Seems like a poorly thought out excuse to increase replay value beyond changes in the story tied to choices made by the player.

Haven't played anything by Compile Heart, but probably would've been more interested if not for that addition.

It is probably too early to tell but the way it is described it sounds like even if X character turns out to be a traitor it is either because of your actions, or you can change whether they stay a traitor due to your actions. It might not be randomized, but instead tied to different actions you take. I am sure the "perfect" ending is beating the game with no traitors or something like that.

StereoVsn

Fairy Fencer F was alright and I actually liked Tales of Abyss. Let's see if they announce localization closer to Japanese release.

Inuhanyou

Believes Dragon Quest is a franchise managed by Sony
Hmm..Fairy Fencer F gives me some hope about this game. Will keep it on my radar

Top Bottom