• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Compile Heart announces Black Rose Valkyrie for PS4

Eusis

You are right but I am still triggered from Square not localizing International versions of their ps2 games.
Square Enix is Square Enix. They're a larger company that produces games that often have a more niche appeal, and for that I think they often forget how to handle them properly.

Though in this day and age of updated rereleases I really have no idea why they were dumb with the International editions. Maybe Sony was obstinate or they really underestimated demand.

ponpo

( ≖‿≖)
Judging by the scans, the battle system could be okay. The backgrounds during the dialogue scenes are ugly though.

Falk

that puzzling face
Though in this day and age of updated rereleases I really have no idea why they were dumb with the International editions. Maybe Sony was obstinate or they really underestimated demand.

Those largely started as a misnomer from what I understand. You'd have a Japanese release of a game, then the Western release, and then since the localization took time and the Western version of the game had additional stuff, they'd release a reverse-localization with the updated content/balance/whatevs in Japan as a new version called "International".

Over time those International versions also started having additional content not in the Western versions, but the name/branding persevered.

Eusis

Those largely started as a misnomer from what I understand. You'd have a Japanese release of a game, then the Western release, and then since the localization took time and the Western version of the game had additional stuff, they'd release a reverse-localization with the updated content/balance/whatevs in Japan as a new version called "International".

Over time those International versions also started having additional content not in the Western versions, but the name/branding persevered.
Thinking about it I think it only ever really applied to FFX and FFXII anyway. Maybe FFX-2 had something but if so fewer cared. It was probably rare enough and now that I think about it we did get DMC3:SE, so SE must have thought they weren't going to be popular enough, or if it required a GH loophole SE didn't care to use it at least for FFXII.

EDIT: Forgot about Kingdom Hearts, that was pretty nuts too. I think at worst these days it'd be released as DLC, akin to how you couldn't get the "Prepare to Die" edition of Dark Souls on console in NA, but the Artorias of the Abyss DLC is there to buy.

Website's now open properly, including pages for all the main characters:

Zlj5M6Y.png

2mT8HBk.png
Qidy7Pm.png

bYChVAK.png
Bkyc6YD.png

uH7lv4A.png
CADqMQP.png

SerTapTap

That's gotta be using Omega Quintet's engine. I'm interested, Quintet had a lot of really cool stuff going on with the combat, but it doesn't really capitalize on it/make it necessary.

That's gotta be using Omega Quintet's engine. I'm interested, Quintet had a lot of really cool stuff going on with the combat, but it doesn't really capitalize on it/make it necessary.

Hopefully it's a simpler System than Omega Quintet. Nothing wrong with a nice and simple turn based battle system.

shaowebb

Oh, I remember that. It'll be interesting to see how it's implemented for this game.

Live2D from last year :

VkxK6mL.gif

tumblr_nh3rehLQ3z1qav3uso8_r1_500.gif

We had a thread about it last year here.

For those in awe, for perspective's sake I'd like to point out that the gif of how her face is just layers positioned in front of each other is how folks animate in photoshop and flash. Every moving part is generally on its own layer. In Flash you can use "symbols" to make them into an object with many stored variations (like a happy mouth or sad mouth, etc) so that at will you can select and reuse different frames of animations stored for each symbol. In Photoshop you just setup your layer order and draw which is how Skullgirls did its art seperating linework, color flats, shaders and such into seperate layers.

Live 2d is essentially saying "hey since its hard baking animations and eats up memory, why dont we just make the model's body in 3d since its poses aren't ever going to get too extreme and use 2d animation layers for the face?" This way it can do a lot of stuff fluidly like a 2d animated face with squash, stretch and low runtime memory cost. It may increase loadtimes between things since it has more images to load but its a good runtime solution. Plus since the hard part to animate is all the foreshortening of the body and its poses keeping it 3d while leaving the face 2d gives some types of storyboards the best of both worlds with easy posing and body animation while maintaining simple and reusable stuff on the faces without having to fiddle with a ton of issues on the shader maps, specular maps, diffuse maps and what have you that typically have noticeable tricky lighting issues at runtime on faces.

Remember this if you were "wow-ed" by the cleverness of that layered face gif up there if you ever felt like griping about 2d animation in flash or photoshop being dumb.

HGH

Banned
You had me dreading M-rated screenshots and none were to be found. Phew.

So the gist of what I'm getting here is these soldiers are infected with whatever it is that you're fighting in order to use the silly oversized weaponry, but that in turn can cause acute personality splits that you have to figure out via regularly conducted interviews. Or something like that.

valkyrie2.jpg
battle.jpg

I'm not sure I quite get this battle screenshot though, the text descriptions mostly talks about a fluid combo and arts system without giving details.

Also completely unrelated to anything but man, checkered sweets are pretty good.
Is Compile Heart growing up?
Perhaps this part is up to us.

jiggle

must be embarrassing for tales studios for a compile heart game (bullshots?) to look almost as good, if not better, than their mothership game

t1gerjaw

I really want to play this.
Fujishima art without boring Tales gameplay looks so good. I still need to play Zestiria though.

God, the main character looks like the dullest turd possible. Like the Japanese equivalent to the angry brown haired, white guy with a gun.

If your focus is on your cute anime girls with weapons, just make them the main characters. We don't need some personality-free audience avatar that your whole team fawns over.

Ydelnae

Boxart

I think Fujushima is so attached to the Tales of series that the general public might think this is some sort of spin off or something. At least they didn't use a white blackground with the characters strapped on.

Aters

This game looks good, and it's not far from release. Never played anything from that publisher though, and what I've heard are not very encouraging.

This game looks good, and it's not far from release. Never played anything from that publisher though, and what I've heard are not very encouraging.

People are highly exaggarating the "terribleness" of CH games based on their early PS3 releases, which were, frankly, pretty shitty. There are few companies that improved as much as they have in a short time.

They're not high art or GOTY contenders, but they're fun RPGs.

bobawesome

People are highly exaggarating the "terribleness" of CH games based on their early PS3 releases. There are few companies that improved as much as they have in a short time.

They're not high art or GOTY contenders, but they're fun RPGs.

I also wouldn't be surprised if the majority of people shitting on Compile Heart have even touched one of their games. Seems to be the way things go around here.

SeanTSC

They do have a pretty dubious track record and it's kind of a you either like their stuff or you hate it kinda deal most of the time. But don't be too discouraged, they've gotten better and I think they proved that they can handle a more semi-serious game like this fairly well with Fairy Fencer F. I think they'd get a lot more notice if they pushed forward with more games like this and FFF and didn't rely so heavily on the Neptunia games (as much as I love them they kinda are what they are).

Their battle systems are usually fairly good, and subject material aside, the worst part is usually the environments. Hopefully they can improve on that end.

Falk

that puzzling face
The battle systems have also come a long way - from the absurd tedium that was Neptunia, to passable-yet-with-some-hilarious-difficulty-spikes around ReBirth 1, to ReBirth 3, Neptunia V-II, and Omega Quintet which are actually pretty well done.

Fairy Fencer F stuck out as a slight step back in terms of clunkiness/fat vs fun factor, but it's still miles ahead of their output even 2-3 years prior. (I have not played the remake/expansion/sequel)

Aters

I thought this thread got bumped up because the character designer got married lol. I wonder how does it feel for a 51 year-old man to marry a 20 year-old girl.

Darth_Caedus

No longer canonical
Glad to see Compile Heart releasing more standard mainstream JRPGs. Should help their rep a bit. I'm excited for Fairy Fencer ADF and this as well.

Top Bottom