• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Compile Heart working on new Madou Monogatari game for Vita

Jonnyram

The first new Madou Monogatari game in what, 15 years?
Compile Heart is developing Sei Madou Monogatari for release on Vita in March next year.

It's a dungeon crawler with a top-down view, similar to Siren games.
Maps are automatically created.
Two dungeons are introduced in Famitsu this week — Oboro Forest and Kachin-Kochin Cave.

For those unfamiliar with the series, it is the origin of the old-school Puyo Puyo characters (which more may be familiar with nowadays).

Jonnyram

I'd assume so.
Char designer for this game is listed as Mota (7th Dragon).
Guest char design from Tsunako (Neptunia) and Ichi (the original Puyo Puyo/Madou Monogatari designer)

So will Arle be in the game, or not? I would hope she would be, given that she's the series' main character... but while she started in this franchise, she's much better known for Puyo Puyo, which Sega owns, so yeah, I don't know.

jooey

The Motorcycle That Wouldn't Slow Down
So will Arle be in the game, or not? I would hope she would be, given that she's the series' main character... but while she started in this franchise, she's much better known for Puyo Puyo, which Sega owns, so yeah, I don't know.

only if you can peek at her panties or rub her chest

c-c-c-compile heart

d+pad

Oh, maaaaaaaaaan! I think this means I'm going to have to get a Vita at some point -- assuming it looks good and features an acceptable character roster :|

Jonnyram

Characters revealed so far:
Pupuru (voiced by Yui Ogura)
Kuuchan (voiced by Nozomi Yamamoto)
Puni (voiced by Kaori Ishihara)
Kuriora (voiced by Arisa Noto)
Gigadeath
Zeo
Eternia

I guess they're all new.

hongcha

Oh my. This is pretty awesome news, I loved the Saturn game. Vita just keeps getting more awesome Japanese games.

This news fills me with some strange conflicting emotions.

New Madou Monogatari? OMG YES OMG YES OMG.

For Vita? Hmm, okay.

From Compile Heart? GOD NO WHY DO YOU DO THIS TO ME?!

This news fills me with some strange conflicting emotions.

New Madou Monogatari? OMG YES OMG YES OMG.

For Vita? Hmm, okay.

From Compile Heart? GOD NO WHY DO YOU DO THIS TO ME?!

but what if compile heart does something so good you'll want to go out and buy it. give them another chance ;P

but what if compile heart does something so good you'll want to go out and buy it. give them another chance ;P

Chances are like Puyo. Eventually enough of them are garbage that you've filled up and cannot take anymore.

At least they're not using Arle. I had a terrible fear that they were going to be unspeakably creepy--well, more so.

We'll see how it goes, but I don't have a lot of faith in Compile Heart. They do one sort of game really well, but Madou Monogatari doesn't really suit that style, as far as the previous games in the series are concerned.

I WANT to believe, I really do, because I LOVE the Madou Monogatari series, but their track record pretty much speaks for itself.

As an act of goodwill, I suggest they get Madou Monogatari 1•2•3 out as a digital download (3DS/Vita/Whatever) and partner with one of our lovely niche publishers for an English release. Then, I would trust them with this new game.

Compile Heart is awesome.
Yeah, okay.

They have no business using Complie's glorious name or their fabulous pink logo.

And now they're going to start tarnishing their once beloved franchises? I feel ill.

Esura

Banned
I WANT to believe, I really do, because I LOVE the Madou Monogatari series, but their track record pretty much speaks for itself.

As an act of goodwill, I suggest they get Madou Monogatari 1•2•3 out as a digital download (3DS/Vita/Whatever) and partner with one of our lovely niche publishers for an English release. Then, I would trust them with this new game.

Yeah, okay.

They have no business using Complie's glorious name or their fabulous pink logo.

And now they're going to start tarnishing their once beloved franchises? I feel ill.

?

There are two Compile Hearts?

Think of it this way, at least it's not IdeaFactory (proper)...

Compile Heart is not that bad tbh. I like their games in general. Idea Factory is worse.

?

Idea Factory is even better. They made the Neptunia games so they are up there with Platinum, ArcSys, SquareEnix, Atlus, and whatever teams Capcom has making their fighters imo.

Idea Factory is even better. They made the Neptunia games so they are up there with Platinum, ArcSys, SquareEnix, Atlus, and whatever teams Capcom has making their fighters imo.

How can they be "even better" if they co-developed the Neptunia games with Compile Heart?

LuuKyK

?

There are two Compile Hearts?

?

Idea Factory developed Neptunia WITH Compile Heart though.

The Idea Factor only games are pretty bad imo.

Edit: Beaten.

Compile was the original dev studio, made games from the early 80s through 2003.
They were responsible for a pretty sizable number of titles, from MSX to Saturn.

After the closure, some of the devs and execs formed Compile Heart.
IIRC, not long after their founding, they were acquired by IdeaFactory due to one of the founders retiring.

Some things they work together on, like Neptunia, other titles are separate ventures.
A lot of stuff seems to see CompileHeart, Gust, NIS, IdeaFactory, and Red Company all smashed together due to all of the design crossovers.

I'm not a fan of IdeaFactory because I don't like the (!F) Neverland setting nor the games they always seem to set in it.

Art by the 7th Dragon 2020 artist.

Guest art by the original Madou Monogatari artist.

Sega owns Puyo Puyo but Compile Heart acquired Madou Monogatari. In order not to chance legal issues, it is speculated that they will be pretty careful here.

Sega owns Puyo Puyo but Compile Heart acquired Madou Monogatari. In order not to chance legal issues, it is speculated that they will be pretty careful here.
It would suck if they can't even have puyos as the basic monsters.

That would be like making a new Dragon Quest game without slimes!

It would suck if they can't even have puyos as the basic monsters.

That would be like making a new Dragon Quest game without slimes!

Yeah, it's sounding like this is going to be a completely different game that they're pasting the "Madou Monogatari" name on for sales reasons or something... we'll see if it works.

Well, the character designs are actually okay.

Of course, them not showing any screens of dungeons or battles speaks volumes to me.

Jonnyram

Some dungeon screens on Amazon:

513jLv0HQDL.jpg

51zlWx9F9eL.jpg

Jonnyram

Official site has been updated with character art and sample voices.

The game is scheduled for release on 28 March.
LE will cost 9240 yen.
Regular version 7140 yen.
Download version 6300 yen.

So it's called Madou Monogatari, but it's not a first-person RPG, nor does it have Arle or the rest of the Puyo characters. Basically it has nothing to do with Madou Monogatari.

Sounds par for the course for a reboot of a classic franchise. Can't wait to play the Zanac cover shooter with a cute anime girl lead

So it's called Madou Monogatari, but it's not a first-person RPG, nor does it have Arle or the rest of the Puyo characters. Basically it has nothing to do with Madou Monogatari.

Sounds par for the course for a reboot of a classic franchise. Can't wait to play the Zanac cover shooter with a cute anime girl lead

The last Madou Monogatari wasn't first person either.
They can't include the characters because while they own the rights to the franchise, they don't own the rights to those characters.

Official site has been updated with character art and sample voices.

The game is scheduled for release on 28 March.
LE will cost 9240 yen.
Regular version 7140 yen.
Download version 6300 yen.

I've had a reservation on Amazon for a while now. 6000 yen for the regular version - there's no word about what's in the LE, so I'm not interested...yet. I'm just glad it's releasing at the END of March.

Huh, I guess there were a few top-down games in the series. Even a roguelike, sorta. I didn't realize how long the series went on.

So I suppose this will distinguish itself as a MM game through its... sharp sense of humor?

Well, every character (save for like... one?) has an exact equivalent in the Madouverse. I don't know whether to say that's a good or a bad thing.

LuuKyK

Did anyone bother listening to the voice samples with headphones? They seem so... close/real. In a creepy way. lol Don't know how to describe... Its like the first time you experience Corpse Party with headphones.

Ramune

I KNEW I wasn't seeing things. A new Madou Monogatari...without the original characters, I'm so happy...yet sad at the same time. I'd be willing to give this new one a chance though.

Did anyone bother listening to the voice samples with headphones? They seem so... close/real. In a creepy way. lol Don't know how to describe... Its like the first time you experience Corpse Party with headphones.

They're just very clear audio tracks. Funny you mention CP though (just played that a few minutes ago for the first time in a while).

Jonnyram

Some major updates on the site happened recently.
Game is looking really nice actually. I'm pretty interested.
Would be good to see a demo before the game comes out.

Top Bottom