• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

(Complete Rumor) Microsoft might actually be interested in buying Take-Two?

Matt said:
I think I already have, but basically it would be too much money for too much shit that MS would not want.
If T2 is a package deal, MS could buy it all, retain what they want and sell off the rest. We are talking long term investment here. If the GTA is able to hit even close to what the series sold last gen, then it is most definitely in MS's best interest to secure that franchise asap. The extra baggage would be worth it. Say the GTA series sells 30M this gen at 50 bucks a pop. That's 1.5B. I highly doubt a company like T2 would command anything even remotely close to that figure so, yeah, it would be a wise investment for MS. And if the purchase offer is true, well, MS feels the same way.

HokieJoe

shpankey said:
Good God please let this happen, for no other reason than a new Myth game under the direction of Jason Jones... please, I beg thee my Lord!

You and I are of the same mind. :D

Alas, it's probably just wishful thinking, but damn, having Myth back with it's rightful owner would be awesome.

HokieJoe

LJ11 said:
The first one had potential, it was flawed but it had its moments.

Yeah, I played it through on the PC. It really wasn't a bad game IMO. I think it was a victim of it's own hype more than anything.

davepoobond

you can't put a price on sparks
i dont think it would be good for any company besides an independent investment house buying Take Two.

Take Two should be independent imo.

ghst

thanks for the laugh
The actual profit they could make from sales of TT games is nothing to Microsoft compared to holding GTA ace. And percieved market dominance is far more important to Microsoft right now that immediate profit.

Steroyd

ghst said:
The actual profit they could make from sales of TT games is nothing to Microsoft compared to holding GTA ace. And percieved market dominance is far more important to Microsoft right now that immediate profit.

Except MS has right out said they aim to make a profit in their games division.

Matt

Mr_Furious said:
If T2 is a package deal, MS could buy it all, retain what they want and sell off the rest. We are talking long term investment here. If the GTA is able to hit even close to what the series sold last gen, then it is most definitely in MS's best interest to secure that franchise asap. The extra baggage would be worth it. Say the GTA series sells 30M this gen at 50 bucks a pop. That's 1.5B. I highly doubt a company like T2 would command anything even remotely close to that figure so, yeah, it would be a wise investment for MS. And if the purchase offer is true, well, MS feels the same way.
OK, a few notes:

Sell the rest TO WHO?

GTA won't sell 30 million units this gen if they are limited to just the 360. Besides the fact that that would be 1.5 billion in revenue, not profit, and not all for MS.

TT is worth MORE then 1.5 billion. They wouldn't sell for much less then 2. And even after MS bought them, they would still have to sink an incredible amount of money into gutting the company, funding GTA and other projects, publishing them, etc.

Skilotonn

xbot xbot xbot xbot xbot
Ah, I didn't know that the PSP/PS2 side stories weren't handled by Rockstar North themselves - my bad, I retract my earlier statement then...

According tp patcher the cost of Take two would be $2 billion i don't think any company would make such a huge purchase more like EA buys the sports, MS buys rockstar and some other publishers buy the scraps.

Goldrusher

mspiss.jpg

http://money.cnn.com/2007/03/09/commentary/column_gaming/index.htm

"One company that says it's not in the running is Microsoft (Charts). Because today's independent publishers are platform agnostic - that is to say, they build games for all major systems - taking over one would result in a massive revenue loss for Microsoft, as all development would be redirected toward the Xbox 360.

"We could never launch an acquisition bid at a third party publisher," said Shane Kim, corporate vice president of Microsoft Game Studios."

Is there any point to MS buying TT for GTA4 anyway? They already have a huge advantage over Sony, price. No one is gonna buy the PS3 version of GTA 4 over the 360 one unless they already own a PS3.

Would you rather pay $400 for GTA 4 (With extra DLC, achievements and custom soundtracks to boot) or $600 for an inferior version? What do you think casual gamers would rather pay? MS already has GTA4 wrapped up, there's no need to buy out TT.

Wollan

Well, GTA is big in Europe as well which isn't exactly MS best market + I would think they will have implemented Home trophies/items as well as the game benefiting from Blu-ray. Also, for many it's considered a PlayStation franchise first and foremost. Supposedly the PS3 version is getting exclusive content as well.

Baron Aloha

A Shining Example
Nuclear Muffin said:
Would you rather pay $400 for GTA 4 (With extra DLC, achievements and custom soundtracks to boot) or $600 for an inferior version?

How about we wait until the game ships before declaring one version inferior to the other? The PS3 version will have its own DLC. Its also likely that it will feature trophies and other kinds of Home integration. Maybe you can even import your Home avatar into the game? Phil Harrison did say that they were ironing out the kinks with 3rd parties to implement that sort of thing. We simply don't know what the final feature set of each version will be at this point. Its too early to tell.

Shompola

Banned
I hope this is not true as GTA IV is allready on the console. It would make much more sense if they did this last generation. And didn't MS pass up publishing GTA 3 at first, which we today know cost them a lot?

This is what scares me about Microsoft, and this is why I think they're the worst thing to happen to the industry. They think they can buy anyone, from Capcom to Nintendo to now Take-Two??

Blackace

if you see me in a fight with a bear, don't help me fool, help the bear!
Nightstick11 said:
This is what scares me about Microsoft, and this is why I think they're the worst thing to happen to the industry. They think they can buy anyone, from Capcom to Nintendo to now Take-Two??

if Take Two is for sale... oh I get you are just hating... you forgot to spell Microsoft like this Micro$oft
Hatorade.jpg

Prine

Banned
Chris Remo said:
As I noted in one of the other threads, this would be a massive waste of money for Microsoft. Take-Two has massive amounts of assets and resources invested into multiplatform development. A first party buying a third party would require the first party to sink tons of money into restructuring, probably a lot of firings and hirings, and would require them to simply swallow all the costs related to buying the publisher that don't pertain to their own platforms (in Microsoft's case, 360 and PC). That's not even to mention Microsoft's lack of need for operations like Global Star and Jack of All Games.

I could see Microsoft trying to pick up individual studios if Take-Two's board decides to go that route instead of selling the whole thing, but if they do that I would think Rockstar would be the asset they'd want to hang onto instead of sell.

Agreed. I dont know how a compnay like Take-Two that own GTA and publish succesful titles like Oblivion, 2k sports can be in so much trouble.

I mean, GTA sales should be enough to sustain most of thier costs. They arnt producing flops... not one in some time...i just dont get it

Prine

Banned
Nightstick11 said:

Should be thanking them for standarising online gaming on consoles. No they werent the first, but they were the first to do it right.

Blackace

Prine said:
Agreed. I dont know how a compnay like Take-Two that own GTA and publish succesful titles like Oblivion, 2k sports can be in so much trouble.

I mean, GTA sales should be enough to sustain most of thier costs. They arnt producing flops... not one in some time...i just dont get it

they were doing something funky with their books at one time.. take-2 just recently got on a roll.... but if you look at the last 10 years wasn't so hot...

Microsoft doesn`t need to buy a publisher, its a waste of money.
Microsoft would like to buy Rockstar as a developer

BUT

Whoever buys TT would never sell Rockstar, it would be like selling the golden goose.

EXCEPT

In some bizarro world where EA decides that they really need to kill off 2K sports.

It all seems very unlikely though.

Blackace

The Innocent X said:
Microsoft doesn`t need to buy a publisher, its a waste of money.
Microsoft would like to buy Rockstar as a developer

BUT

Whoever buys TT would never sell Rockstar, it would be like selling the golden goose.

EXCEPT

In some bizarro world where EA decides that they really need to kill of 2K sports.

It all seems very unlikely though.

Like I said before MS buys Take 2 as a whole.. takes Rock Star, Fraxis, Irrational and 2k Sports...and sells off whatever else they can.. get investment if they don't lose people...be far better use of money than buying rare

Blackace said:
if Take Two is for sale... oh I get you are just hating... you forgot to spell Microsoft like this Micro$oft

Right, because I don't like the thought of a publishing company buying up other large publishers, I'm "hating". Makes sense.

Blackace said:
Like I said before MS buys Take 2 as a whole.. takes Rock Star, Fraxis, Irrational and 2k Sports...and sells off whatever else they can.. get investment if they don't lose people...be far better use of money than buying rare

I disagree, that money could be better spent on buying developers outright. There is a huge premium being paid for the publishing side, which is worthless to MS as they already have a publishing business.

Rare is a diferent story, it didn`t turn out exactly like they wanted it to, but saying "better value than rare" chortle chortle doesn't make it more likely.

As long as Sony doesn`t buy Rockstar, then they aren`t worth it.

Capcom is a better choice for Ms to buy, by a long way. They have an engine that runs well on 360, and a bunch of proven IPs including next gen IPs that are all million sellers, and it helps the japanese angle too. As well as buying up a load of IP for XBLA as well.

Anyway, MS current strategy of working with other companies to get the games they want whilst retaining some of the IP seems to be working fine, so why change it?

Blackace

The Innocent X said:
I disagree, that money could be better spent on buying developers outright. There is a huge premium being paid for the publishing side, which is worthless to MS as they already have a publishing business.

Rare is a diferent story, it didn`t turn out exactly like they wanted it to, but saying "better value than rare" chortle chortle doesn't make it more likely.

As long as Sony doesn`t buy Rockstar, then they aren`t worth it.

Capcom is a better choice for Ms to buy, by a long way. They have an engine that runs well on 360, and a bunch of proven IPs including next gen IPs that are all million sellers, and it helps the japanese angle too. As well as buying up a load of IP for XBLA as well.

they would lose almost all the assests of capcom if they bought them... they have been trying to buy Japanese devs since the xbox was thought of... hasn't worked for them..

Blackace said:
they would lose almost all the assests of capcom if they bought them... they have been trying to buy Japanese devs since the xbox was thought of... hasn't worked for them..

I didn`t say they would, just that it would be a better move. Buying rockstar doesn`t guarantee that people won`t leave, you can't buy people, only companies. (eg look at FASA)

I think MS will continue the Gears of War policy of getting the top companies to help them out with exclusives whilst retaining some control over the franchise.

How many gears of wars could they get for 2 Billion?

Blackace

Nightstick11 said:
Right, because I don't like the thought of a publishing company buying up other large publishers, I'm "hating". Makes sense.

well if they could just buy Rockstar, Fraxis, Irrational and 2k Sports outright and not touch take 2 would you be happy?

Blackace said:
well if they could just buy Rockstar, Fraxis, Irrational and 2k Sports outright and not touch take 2 would you be happy?

uh, no?

Rockstar is far too valuable to be pawned off as anybody's 2nd-party, and I love Firaxis to death. I wouldn't want anything that could possibly jeopardize that corporation, and I sure as hell don't want to even see a possibility of an Xbox360-exclusive Civ 5.

Since you seem to believe Microsoft buying up every large publisher is the bestest thing ever to possibly hit the industry, how would you feel if Nintendo bought Square-Enix, or if Sony decided to pick up some mini-mes by the name of Konami or Namco?

Blackace

Nightstick11 said:
uh, no?

Rockstar is far too valuable to be pawned off as anybody's 2nd-party, and I love Firaxis to death. I wouldn't want anything that could possibly jeopardize that corporation, and I sure as hell don't want to even see a possibility of an Xbox360-exclusive Civ 5.

Since you seem to believe Microsoft buying up every large publisher is the bestest thing ever to possibly hit the industry, how would you feel if Nintendo bought Square-Enix, or if Sony decided to pick up some mini-mes by the name of Konami or Namco?

I wouldn't really care. If they had the money to so.

I see. Well then, there's nothing to do but agree to disagree. I like a "balance-of-power" among developers, and I'm not too fond of greedy, grabby, studio-destroyers like EA and their ilk. I see you don't mind either way as long as the games get into your hands. Different philosophies, that's all.

Shompola

Banned
Nightstick11 said:
uh, no?

Why the hell would MS make Civ 5 Xbox 360 exclusive? MS har a rich portfolio of RTS and turn based strategy games. Now how many of those are on Xbox 360 let alone exclusive to the console? Man you are very very melodramatic, makes it a very enjoyable reading though :D

Nightstick11 said:
I see. Well then, there's nothing to do but agree to disagree. I like a "balance-of-power" among developers, and I'm not too fond of greedy, grabby, studio-destroyers like EA and their ilk. I see you don't mind either way as long as the games get into your hands. Different philosophies, that's all.

I don`t really see MS as "destroying" studios. People can argue about rare, but I don`t see them as just buying the IP and killing the company. Yet you placed them as worse than EA as "the worst thing to happen to the industry".

if anything they let creativity reign too much (cough Peter Molyneaux cough)

Blackace

Shompola said:
Why the hell would MS make Civ 5 Xbox 360 exclusive? MS har a rich portfolio of RTS and turn based strategy games. Now how many of those are on Xbox 360 let alone exclusive to the console? Man you are very very melodramatic, makes it a very enjoyable reading though :D

exactly.. MS has the PC to protect as well.. also might see more DS games this way! :lol

Shompola said:
Nightstick11 said:
I love Firaxis to death. I wouldn't want anything that could possibly jeopardize that corporation, and I sure as hell don't want to even see a possibility of an Xbox360-exclusive Civ 5.

The Innocent X said:
I don`t really see MS as "destroying" studios. People can argue about rare, but I don`t see them as just buying the IP and killing the company. Yet you placed them as worse than EA as "the worst thing to happen to the industry".

I should clarify that the minute EA announces an "EA DIGITAL FOOTBALL" console or anything of that sort, I would peg them as "the worst thing to happen to the industry". I could list the reasons why I cast suspicious glances at Microsoft, but that would be a huge de-rail.

Wulfer

I had to think on this for a minute because 1.) Microsoft isn't getting the same equal support from Eastern developers. It's almost like Microsoft has to strong arm them to get them to develop on the 360. 2.) Technically, aren't Konami, Square and until recently Namco been ignoring the 360? 3.) Microsoft has been trying to get these developers to develop for the Xbox and recently 360 for years. What was their response to the request? They decided to spit on Microsoft or give them has been seconds.

You speak as if these companies don't deserve to develop on a Microsoft system and until recently, (looking at Capcom and Namco) they've started too. From my point of view these said companies have pushed Microsoft into these kinds of tactics after request after request from Microsoft to get them to develop on their system. The playing field has never been leveled until recently and now we're seeing the difference in a stacked deck and a leveled deck. Are you really surprised of the outcome?

MachoInfinity said:
http://money.cnn.com/2007/03/09/commentary/column_gaming/index.htm

"One company that says it's not in the running is Microsoft (Charts). Because today's independent publishers are platform agnostic - that is to say, they build games for all major systems - taking over one would result in a massive revenue loss for Microsoft, as all development would be redirected toward the Xbox 360.

"We could never launch an acquisition bid at a third party publisher," said Shane Kim, corporate vice president of Microsoft Game Studios."
i know he was a junior, but you guys should really have read his post.

Are people retarded? Selling Rockstar, that would leave the entire company (Take-Two) in ruin. No way they'd sell them much less the GTA brand.

Superfrog

So, whoever buys Take-Two buys this package - might be too much crap included to be worth the expenses:

2K Games
Firaxis Games
Frog City Software
Irrational Games
Take-Two Licensing (formerly known as TDK Mediactive)
Venom Games, Ltd.

2K Sports
Visual Concepts
Kush Games

Global Star Software
Gathering of Developers
Gotham Games
TalonSoft

Rockstar Games
Rockstar North (formerly known as DMA Design)
Rockstar Leeds (formerly known as Mobius Entertainment)
Rockstar London
Rockstar Vancouver (formerly known as Barking Dog Studios)
Rockstar San Diego (formerly known as Angel Studios)
Rockstar Toronto (formerly known as Rockstar Canada)
Rockstar Lincoln (formerly known as Tarantula Studios)

Jack of All Games
Joytech, Ltd.

As has been said many times, I don't think either of the 3 platform holders (Nintendo, Sony or Microsoft) are good fits to buy T2 - they simply would lose too much revenue, unless they still released the games on their competitors platforms.

EA, Ubisoft, Activision, plus News Corp etc are far more likely scenarios.

However, the most likely scenario is that T2 stays exactly as it is, barring some internal upheaval.

hadareud

The Translator
there's so much more to buying a big publisher like take two than just money. There's so many potential problems involved that I highly doubt that MS would do it.

They might inquire about certain developers, but that's likely all that is to this story.

Then again, what do I know. I wouldn't do it though.

Top Bottom