• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

(Complete Rumor) Microsoft might actually be interested in buying Take-Two?

I have absolutely no idea how reliable this site is... (never even heard of it until a couple of seconds ago)... but supposely http://www.worthplaying.com/ is reporting that Microsoft placed a bid for Take Two sometime today.

Yesterday Take-Two revealed it was postponing the previously scheduled annual shareholders meeting to explore its options, one being a possible sale of the entire company. Today word has reached us through the grapevine by means of an inside source at Rockstar Vancouver, that "the buzz" in the hallways is that Microsoft might have put in a bid or expressed interest in purchasing the ailing publisher/developer. While this is a mere rumor, albeit from a reliable source, it is to be taken with a grain of salt. Just imagine the ramifications....

Again... this could just be some retarded unknown site trying to get some hits (probably the case)... so please take this with a grain of salt.

C'mon Burger King! Place a higher bid!

All kidding aside, GTAIV exclusively on Xbox 360 would be beyond huge, and in my opinion, worth every penny to Microsoft.

FrankT

EphemeralDream said:
What started all these rumors anyway? I know Microsoft is massive but I would think Take Two would be too big for them to buy.

MS could buy and sale Take Two in about a heart beat.

dirtmonkey37

flinging feces ---->
Well, take-two has 2K Games and Rockstar under its belt...and Bethesda........

I don't know. I would assume buying Take Two would be expensive, even if the net worth of the company has dropped due to the whole stock issue and the GTA scandal.

xaosslug

we all know MS has much monies, but does their gaming division have the kind of moolah that would be needed to make such a purchase? Hmm.

squicken

I'm sure lots of people are calling Take2 to make offers, but I doubt it's for the whole company. More likely people are calling and asking about R* or Irrational, but not so much for 2k sports.

White Man

I still think they are too big to buy whole. It would be a billion dollar sale, plus the cost of restructuring the company. MS's Xbox project isn't throwing money around like they used to, and they never threw around enough money previously to buy something Take Two sized.

Fatbody

Chad Warddin says this deal would be more like a deal-do. Grand Theft Auto IV? More like Grand Theft Auto Bore!

RubxQub

φίλω ἐξεχέγλουτον καί ψευδολόγον οὖκ εἰπόν
dr3upmushroom said:
SHIIIITTT, Chad Wardinn already put a bid up for Take-Two... Six hund'ed dollas ain't nothing to Chad...
:lol

"And the winning bid goes to: Ch...Chad..Wardinn? For...Six Hundred Dollars?!"

dirtmonkey37

flinging feces ---->
dr3upmushroom said:
SHIIIITTT, Chad Wardinn already put a bid up for Take-Two... Six hund'ed dollas ain't nothing to Chad...

Didn't this Chad guy just become "popular" this week? ...and we've already got him in every damn thread? :D

AlphaSnake

...and that, kids, was the first time I sucked a dick for crack
It's pretty ironic that the publisher who currently owns arguably the most well known videogame franchise in the world is having difficulties like this.

Oblivion

Fetishing muscular manly men in skintight hosery
Jtyettis said:
Oh buddy. Chad Wardinn ain't gonna be Balllllllllllllllllin on this one.

Only little bitches be playin GTAs with their bitch ass guns and shit. ya huuuuuurd

Matt

It's not going to happen, and I'm glad about that.

What most people don't seem to get is how massive a deal this would be. It wouldn't cost MS a billion dollars, it would be more like 2 billion, or more. And this wouldn't just be MS gaining GTA, this would be MS adding about 1,500 people to the company. And guess what? Outside of Rockstar North, Fraxis, Irrational, and a few other developers, all of TT's staff would be fired almost instantly. This isen't something that anyone should be hopeing for.

If TT gets bought by anyone, I really hope it's an outside group that will want and need everything that Take Two has, including its (massive) distribution arm.

MS wouldnt buy all of take two...they wont touch 2k sports as they have ea for those games....I wouldnt be surprised if they offered to buy part of the company...maybe rockstar and bethesda only.

I don't believe it. MSFT already has paid money to secure a GTA 4 release for the xbox 360 on the same day as the PS3 and additional exclusive content.

I seriously doubt that MSFT is buying TTWO.

(But if they did, that could be a final nail in the PS3 coffin . . . but again, it ain't happening.)

rage1973

1 Billion for Rockstar, Bethesda, and Irrational sounds like a fair deal for both sides.
Anyways it sounds like a rumor going around one of Rockstar houses. This is normal for when a company goes through some financial difficulties and you just hear all kinds of rumor and doom stories being passed around by employees.

open_mouth_

insert_foot_
1) Microsoft buys out Take Two
2) They proceed to sell 2K Sports to Ubi Soft, who now has serious sports games in the football, hockey, basketball, tennis, and baseball categories.
3) They sell off Joytech or spin it off
4) They incorporate the PC-properties into "Games for Windows" division
5) They incorporate the best console properties and divisions into the "Xbox 360" division

It would make alot of sense, but Microsoft would have to invest alot of $$ and manpower into making it work out right.

PantherLotus

Professional Schmuck
nail.jpg

coffin_plain.jpg

speculawyer said:
I don't believe it. MSFT already has paid money to secure a GTA 4 release for the xbox 360 on the same day as the PS3 and additional exclusive content.

You think Microsoft paid Take 2? Did they pay Capcom for DMC4 as well? I don't think so. I think the publisher is acting in the best interest of themselves there.

Matt

rage1973 said:
1 Billion for Rockstar, Bethesda, and Irrational sounds like a fair deal for both sides.
Anyways it sounds like a rumor going around one of Rockstar houses. This is normal for when a company goes through some financial difficulties and you just hear all kinds of rumor and doom stories being passed around by employees.
Take-Two does NOT own Bethesda!

It would cost much more then 1 billion dollars!

There is far more to Take-Two then just Rockstar (which is just a name) and Irrational!

Please, if we are going to talk about this, lets talk about it with some manor of reality.

squatingyeti

non-sanctioned troll
MS would be REALLY smart to go after R*, Bethesda, and Irrational. However, if you're TT, that would leave your company with nothing worth others buying. Unless Ubi wants to get serious about sports and grab 2k. As much as some would love the idea of MS sticking it hard to Sony with this move, I don't think it goes along with their idea of becoming profitable on this business in the near future.

Top Bottom