• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Completely Unofficial "Going to E3" Thread

bomblord1

Banned
When I first heard E3 was open to the public this year I got extremely excited. It's been a dream of mine ever since first reading about the event over a decade ago in Nintendo Power to experience the event for myself first hand.

After getting my ticket I hit minor issue/confusion after minor issue/confusion but thankfully some advice from fellow gaffers as long as my own personal research helped me get through it. I thought I would attempt to compile some of this advice into a single thread to help others in the same boat.

So let's start from the top

mR9JSQn.png

A̶c̶c̶o̶r̶d̶i̶n̶g̶ ̶t̶o̶ ̶t̶h̶e̶ ̶o̶f̶f̶i̶c̶i̶a̶l̶ ̶E̶3̶ ̶t̶w̶i̶t̶t̶e̶r̶ ̶c̶o̶n̶s̶u̶m̶e̶r̶ ̶p̶a̶s̶s̶e̶s̶ ̶a̶r̶e̶ ̶s̶t̶i̶l̶l̶ ̶u̶p̶ ̶f̶o̶r̶ ̶s̶a̶l̶e̶ ̶i̶f̶ ̶y̶o̶u̶ ̶i̶n̶t̶e̶n̶d̶ ̶t̶o̶ ̶g̶e̶t̶ ̶i̶n̶ ̶I̶ ̶w̶o̶u̶l̶d̶ ̶d̶o̶ ̶i̶t̶ ̶q̶u̶i̶c̶k̶ ̶t̶h̶o̶u̶g̶h̶.̶
Passes are sold out

To register just go here https://e3expo.com/ and click "Register"

- Tickets are $250 a person
- You can only order 1 pass per person.
- Consumer Tickets are limited to exhibits only no press conferences
- Your ticket confirmation may go to spam or to the promotional folder (if using Gmail)
- Some have reported 30 minute + waits for confirmation emails
- You need to print off your confirmation email and show it at the convention center along with a government issued photo ID to receive your pass passes will NOT be mailed
- Passes cannot be sold, swapped, or transferred in any capacity
- If you lose your pass you will be able to re-register and pay full price for another as long as the convention center is not full. Your badge cannot be reprinted.
- Attendee on-site registration at the Los Angeles Convention Center will be available in the South Hall Lobby. Badge Pick-up Counters will be available outside both the South and West Hall Lobbies.

Times to pick up your passes are as followed
Registration Hours:
Sunday, June 11: 1:00PM – 6:00PM
Monday, June 12: 8:00AM – 6:00PM
Tuesday, June 13: 8:00AM – 6:00PM
Wednesday, June 14: 8:00AM – 6:00PM
Thursday, June 15: 8:00AM – 5:00PM

I would personally recommend taking care of this the day prior to the opening.​

c12M5q3.png

I used https://www.kayak.com/ to compare prices from multiple different sites however I also found going directly to the site would in some cases yield different prices.

Suggestions
https://www.kayak.com/
https://www.hotels.com/
https://www.expedia.com/
https://www.hotwire.com/
https://www.priceline.com/home/

I personally found the best deal for my hotel and flight plan through Expedia. It's cheaper to bundle your hotel and flight together through the same site.

- Hotel Prices Range from $400/person to $800/person for the entire stay (show up a day before leave the 15th).
- There is a direct correlation between the room pricing and the proximity to the convention center the closer you are to the convention center the more you will pay.
- I found after about 3 miles away the prices stabilize

I would recommend booking fast as hotels are selling out already and prices going up.​

kkHwOBz.png

I've had both Uber and Lyft recommended to me as the cheapest and most reliable options. Taxi's in the area are very expensive and public transport is and I quote "a joke"

If you do want to attempt to use public transport you can get a 7 day metro pass for $25. Seeing as you won't be there very long it may be the best option.

The area immediately around the convention center is supposed to be pedestrian friendly so if you get a close hotel (~1 mile) you will be better off to just walk​

9ws6Qjs.png

*I admit I'm completely lost on this but hopefully some people can help out.

I highly recommend going to Griffith Observatory, very fun stuff to look at and what is undoubtedly one of the best views in LA. Also, it's open pretty late.

Try In-N-Out Burger if your state doesn't already have one.

To everyone who is going to get tickets via this:

GO TO THE GAF MEETUP

SouSouRocket and Modus do good work and GAF meetups are always a blast.
CrDVSJ8.png

Don't eat the convention food it is low quality and more expensive than area food.

Don't bother waiting in line for freebies

Don't pester the devs

Avoid Skidrow

OuTyD8m.png

Lots of places to eat around the convention center, don't eat there. Food trucks outside, a mall with a food court is close, and even a Dennys is a few blocks away.
Big a side bag or a backpack. To hold your DS, Switch, some drinks, and use it to carry any swag you grab.
Every time I have gone, when the doors open everyone runs to Nintendo's booth. I bet this year will be the same.
I wouldn't wait on the games you want to play, if there's a big line for a game, it'll probably stay big all 3 days. Just get into line and get it over with. Or you might miss it.
Make sure to grab the daily E3 news paper. Gives you a map, informs you of event times, and has a lot of cool stuff to read.

Bring a refillable water-bottle to avoid having to pay $3 for a bottle of whatever.

There's lots of good restaurants near the Staples Center if you get hungry, The Yardhouse is good if you want a beer, Smashburger is good for a quick, yet delicious bite.

idufVQc.png

Prices is about $1k per person after everything (plane tickets, hotel, food, spending money, passes, transportation, etc). This will obviously vary by your location and circumstances (ex if you need to go by plane if you need a hotel). But this is what it is going to cost me and my group of friends.

Dress comfortably and light you will be on your feet and in line for considerably periods of time. Consider bringing a portable game system to tide you over lines.

Along with that a portable battery charger because you will be in line a very long time.

Wear Deodorant Wear Deodorant Wear Deodorant!

Don't forget a portable battery along the lines of this.

You need all the juice you can get to make it through a convention.

Big a side bag or a backpack. To hold your DS, Switch, some drinks, and use it to carry any swag you grab.
Every time I have gone, when the doors open everyone runs to Nintendo's booth. I bet this year will be the same.
I wouldn't wait on the games you want to play, if there's a big line for a game, it'll probably stay big all 3 days. Just get into line and get it over with. Or you might miss it.
Make sure to grab the daily E3 news paper. Gives you a map, informs you of event times, and has a lot of cool stuff to read.

Exhibit Floor Hours
Tuesday, June 13: 12:00PM – 6:00PM
Wednesday, June 14: 10:00AM – 6:00PM
Thursday, June 15: 10:00AM – 5:00PM

Finally have fun

Feel free to correct/expand on/enhance this info in any way I will do my best to keep the OP updated.​

Compsiox

Banned
I don´t see $250 being worth it without the actual conferences. I guess it could be good for a once in a lifetime type of experience.

Nice, good on the when to pick up the passes. I was wondering about that one. I'll try to go the day before to avoid the lines for badges and then lines to enter on the day of.

The food IS expensive but also not too bad if you want to save time and don't mind dry chicken strips and fries.

Da Fro

Can't wait. Super excited.
I'll be coming from Canada. I usually rent a hotel far from downtown LA and rent a car. Parking close is super expensive, but just a few blocks away is up to half the price of parking close.
Lots of places to eat around the convention center, don't eat there. Food trucks outside, a mall with a food court is close, and even a Dennys is a few blocks away.

That's all I can think of right now for tips.
But I will add, I lost my travel wallet outside of E3 one year. It had, $500 cash, bank card, credit card, passport, my ticket to E3, and my plane tickets inside. Being in another country alone, without any cash, bank cards, or passport sucked a lot. It was a process getting enough info to get to the Canadian consulate to get a temporary passport to get home.
I doubt this will happen to anyone, but I was just too excited and didn't pay attention to my stuff. So just a heads up to pay attention to your important stuff everyone!!

Qwark

I have to save money for my wedding, so I can't go this time :/

No conference access though? That seems a bit underwhelming for the price.

If there is something you HAVE to see, make sure you get to the convention center early and wait by the door.. there is typically a big rush to line up for "X" thing and typically by 11AM or something, they've closed the line for the day.

Now some things can process people quicker than others, so they may periodically let people in.. but the Halo 5 Hololens thing, they shut they line down pretty quick once it got full.. because they can't have people lining up everywhere.

My personal strategy has been to skip whatever big thing people are gravitating towards, and seeing everything else. Just not worth my time and stress, and wasting a day @ E3 sitting in 1 line seems like a bad decision. However, do whatever is important to you!

Also, please don't go at it alone! It's much more fun with a buddy, I can't even fathom wandering around E3 by yourself. Find a NeoGAF buddy if nothing else!

I have to save money for my wedding, so I can't go this time :/

No conference access though? That seems a bit underwhelming for the price.

Pretty sure those are put on by the companies themselves, not E3. So you'd need to petition them for access.

I sure hope you guys aren't underwhelmed. Please don't eat at the chain restaurants. LA has a lot of great places. Take an Uber and go to them. Read some LA restaurant blogs for tips.

Also if you're a AAA member make sure to check that out. This far out you can get first class tickets for like $350 round trip. Great hotel prices too.

What time would one recommend to arrive before doors open? I don't want to be the sucker stuck in the hall between both sections. Anything from there is a 3+ hour wait.

Thewonandonly

Sadly as a broke college kid I won't be able to make it this year. But it has always been my dream since I started watching them when I was 12. I will be making it next year for sure tho if I hear good impressions :)

Treating this as a networking event so I bought the business pass. Very excited! I'm a local so hotel accommodation won't be an issue but with any event downtown, I assume we will get gouged with parking fees and the like

Is the expo food really as bad as people say it is?

having went last year i'll say... Definitely don't buy the food inside the convention hall.

Out front there is usually a bunch of street food vendors grab yourself one of them famous Bacon wrapped LA Hotdogs. you wont be disappointed.

Other than that hopefully i'll be joining you all again this year!

Swiggins

I sure hope you guys aren't underwhelmed. Please don't eat at the chain restaurants. LA has a lot of great places. Take an Uber and go to them. Read some LA restaurant blogs for tips.

Also if you're a AAA member make sure to check that out. This far out you can get first class tickets for like $350 round trip. Great hotel prices too.

AAA is amazing, I get my car insurance through them and it's about $100 cheaper a month than anywhere else. The discounts you get are also amazing.

I highly recommend going to Griffith Observatory, very fun stuff to look at and what is undoubtedly one of the best views in LA. Also, it's open pretty late.

Swiggins

Treating this as a networking event so I bought the business pass. Very excited! I'm a local so hotel accommodation won't be an issue but with any event downtown, I assume we will get gouged with parking fees and the like

Is the expo food really as bad as people say it is?

Parking is $25 a day, which is steep but not outrageous for a large event.

Yes, expo food is as bad as they say. It's often pre-packaged microwaved crap, the sort of stuff you'd find at a 7-11, but at quadruple the price.

Bring a refillable water-bottle to avoid having to pay $3 for a bottle of whatever.

There's lots of good restaurants near the Staples Center if you get hungry, The Yardhouse is good if you want a beer, Smashburger is good for a quick, yet delicious bite.

bomblord1

Banned
Parking is $25 a day, which is steep but not outrageous for a large event.

Yes, expo food is as bad as they say. It's often pre-packaged microwaved crap, the sort of stuff you'd find at a 7-11, but at quadruple the price.

I've actually seen one of those before but I've never been are they any good? The logo always stood out to me because I thought it was a gamestop at first.

Tagyhag

I live in LA so I thought about going, the experience sounds great but idk if it's worth $250 to stand in line with seas of people all around me, especially with no conferences.

I might just go with friends and hang out outside since there's usually neat stuff happening during big things like E3 or anime cons.

I'm booked, but since I may be starting a new job the week of, YET AGAIN, for the 3rd year in a row, probably won't have much time to actually attend it or do meetups. May randomly run in to some of you like that one time at Umami Burger.

bomblord1

Banned
I live in LA so I thought about going, the experience sounds great but idk if it's worth $250 to stand in line with seas of people all around me, especially with no conferences.

I might just go with friends and hang out outside since there's usually neat stuff happening during big things like E3 or anime cons.

Someone I know mentioned something about panels however I couldn't actually find anything online about it so IDK.

I'm sure you'll be able to see some of the live showfloor coverage like treehouse and IGN in person.

I know they hand out huge bags at E3 that people carry around loaded with swag but they're kind of annoying when you have to manuever through crowds with them.
Would one recommend taking a back pack or a messenger bag?

Also if any one knows what time to arrive before doors open feel free to add what works best to beat the lines.

Any gaffer going solo, especially for the first time let me know if you want to buddy up for a bit. I can save you a spot in line before doors open :) trust me, you'll want to avoid the line leading to the next hall just to enter.

Works for me says

Cool, link wasn't working for me either.

You get freebies with almost anything you check out, or even as you pass by a back area of a booth you can help yourself to some keychains and stuff. (And I mean what's being handed out with no line)

Even last time waiting in line some nice dude walking by opened his backpack and handed me and a few other people a pretty cool keychain of an Xbox one controller.

Really excited to be going to E3 this year. Luckily the trip for me won't be too expensive, I live about 110 miles north of LA. My first real gaming convention was PlayStation Experience last year and I loved every minute of it, everyone was enjoying the convention and people were super friendly. Hopefully the same type of atmosphere will be at E3 too.

Da Fro

I know they hand out huge bags at E3 that people carry around loaded with swag but they're kind of annoying when you have to manuever through crowds with them.
Would one recommend taking a back pack or a messenger bag?

Also if any one knows what time to arrive before doors open feel free to add what works best to beat the lines.

Any gaffer going solo, especially for the first time let me know if you want to buddy up for a bit. I can save you a spot in line before doors open :) trust me, you'll want to avoid the line leading to the next hall just to enter.

Yeah bring one. The bag E3 gives you for swag isn't enough or as comfortable as a backpack or messenger bag.

_SAKY_

Are press conferences shown in the exhibition halls anywhere? Unless Sony changes their's schedule I believe it will be during the first day of the show.

jax

Banned
So this is kind of weird, but I've been doing the E3 thing for so many years, I think I have some interesting protips.

Don't get there early. That time is better spent getting a coffee or breakfast far away from the convention center. In my experience getting there early will not get you in the lines earlier due to complete chaos and disorganization.

Don't get an Uber. The Ubers in LA for some stupid reason are all default UberPool and you'll be driving around LA for hours instead of playing video games. Look for a shuttle from your hotel, or just get a regular cab.

Speaking of breakfast, don't eat something that will upset your stomach, the bathrooms at E3 can get downright disgusting. If you have bathroom stuff to take care of, do it as early in the day as possible.

When you get there, there will be a huge crowd of people loosely organized as a "line", lurk around as close to the doors as possible to get in fast, the security and E3 staff doesn't consider that mob a line, and neither should you. People will ditch their mom there to hold their spot for hours and cut back in. Its a mess. I reccomend scoping out the lobby from upstairs and metal gearing your way to an open area.

When you get in, run to what you want to play first. They'll say don't run. If you don't run you'll be waiting hours instead. Again, metal gear.

Make the big 3 your priority. They will have the longest lines. What I do is head to Sony first as their stuff is usually appointment based, then make my way to Nintendo the first day. But whichever is your favorite should be a priority cause if you aren't there right when the floor opens you might not get to experience it at all.

Don't get stuck in one half of the convention. Once your done with whichever big three booth, go check out the other hall. It's way too easy to completely forget there's a whole other half of the floor to explore.

Don't even try to get freebies. They're all terrible and usually not worth it. You'll end up with enough swag regardless.

There's also a plethora of free Red Bull and shit outside the convention, don't buy those beforehand. You'll find that for free 100% of the time.

You'll want to drink. But don't get caught paying $9 for a shot of vodka at the E3 bar. Bring a flask or something. I usually just bring a "coke" in that is mostly whiskey.

That being said DONT OVERDO IT. Don't be a douche. Also, VR is fun! But if you're plastered you will hurl. I've seen it happen.

Speaking of stuff to bring, bring snacks. Lots of snacks. Your backpack should consist of portable batteries, a tablet or small laptop, water, and tons of chips/almonds/goji berries and HAND SANITIZER. when you eat this stuff, "drink" it out of the bag to avoid getting H1N1 from 60,000 people holding the same dirty controllers as you.

When the snacks run out, you might wanna check out the food trucks. They're usually pretty awesome and actually reasonably priced too, which is nice. DONT eat the awful convention center food unless you are a nihilist.

Don't leave the convention center area until the show is over. LA is too weird, you'll end up wasting an entire day if you leave at all. If you need to have a smoke, do it near the food trucks on the steps.

The best part of E3 in my eyes is the parties afterwards. If you can get into those, do it. Free food, free drinks. Amazing music. But when you're there, watch your drinks, because some asshole was drugging people last year.

I'll add more stuff as I think of it.

So I found out my brother and a bunch of friends had been talking about this which would make a 2000 mile drive from Birmingham, AL possible.
are the tickets something that needs to be looked into immediately or will it be okay for a bit?

So I found out my brother and a bunch of friends had been talking about this which would make a 2000 mile drive from Birmingham, AL possible.
are the tickets something that needs to be looked into immediately or will it be okay for a bit?

Look into the E3 registration, I don't know if they're sold out to the public yet.

I already found several people on Craigslist (L.A.) selling and making passes for $$$

One guy bought his pass but since he has to move is selling his pass for $275 ($25 more than the $250 public pass)

PAULINK

I microwave steaks.
I don´t see $250 being worth it without the actual conferences. I guess it could be good for a once in a lifetime type of experience.
When I went in 2015, I just showed up to the place where sony was having theirs. A rep looked at me and a group of people who didnt have tickets, and just let us in, it was awesome.

bomblord1

Banned
Look into the E3 registration, I don't know if they're sold out to the public yet.

I already found several people on Craigslist (L.A.) selling and making passes for $$$

One guy bought his pass but since he has to move is selling his pass for $275 ($25 more than the $250 public pass)

Passes are non-transferable. You have to show a government issued photo-id at the gate that corresponds to the name and address you put in in order to pick one up.

Just checked, e3expo.com still has passes for sale for $249. Don't buy them 3rd party, you will run into issues.

I got in at the $149 early bird rate, I don't think I'd do the $249, and I live in LA.

Just checked, e3expo.com still has passes for sale for $249. Don't buy them 3rd party, you will run into issues.

I got in at the $149 early bird rate, I don't think I'd do the $249, and I live in LA.
I was more meaning does it seem like the 15,000~ tickets would likely be gone pretty soon or would they likely still be around a couple weeks to a month from now?
I can jump on the $250 ticket now but I don't think the other 4 or 5 guys can, and if they are out the trip is likely over.

I have watched E3 coverage since I was like 8 or 9 and have dreamed of going once in my life so im fine with that price for a probably 1 time thing.
Especially if its going to start changing because of the public.

I was more meaning does it seem like the 15,000~ tickets would likely be gone pretty soon or would they likely still be around a couple weeks to a month from now?
I can jump on the $250 ticket now but I don't think the other 4 or 5 guys can, and if they are out the trip is likely over.

I have watched E3 coverage since I was like 8 or 9 and have dreamed of going once in my life so im fine with that price for a probably 1 time thing.

I would imagine you'd be ok waiting a little longer. It's 90 days until E3 and the initial demand was probably the biggest time tickets would go.. if they're still for sale I imagine they won't sell out, unless they discount them closer to the show.

Booking hotel rooms etc may be higher though if you wait.

I would imagine you'd be ok waiting a little longer. It's 90 days until E3 and the initial demand was probably the biggest time tickets would go.. if they're still for sale I imagine they won't sell out, unless they discount them closer to the show.

Booking hotel rooms etc may be higher though if you wait.

Thank you.

bomblord1

Banned

You're going to have a bigger issue booking a hotel (and probably pay exuberant markups) if you wait as opposed to the tickets.

All of the "E3 Discount" hotels are completely sold out. I ended up booking with a hotel that's a few miles away from the convention center at roughly half the price of the nearby ones but that was a month ago now.

majorscud

This is my 2nd E3 (I went for the first time last year). I noticed it was much harder getting a hotel this year. The big advice I have is to make sure if there is a VR experience you really want to do, to make sure you have the app loaded right when sign ups go live and be fast with your fingers. I managed to play Farpoint, but it was a close thing.

I would say it's definitely worth it to book a hotel away from the convention center, both for money reasons and QoL (quality of life).

I mean, if money is no object and you can stay next door to the convention center.. by all means go ahead, it'll probably be awesome.

For everyone else, I'm sure you can find nicer and more reasonably priced alternatives a little ways away. Downside is you need transportation and/or dealing with LA traffic (It's something you can tell the folks back home about!).

This will be my 4th E3! Haven't been to a GAF meet-up. When and where will info for that be available?

Same here, I'd join any meet up. I'll be taking those days off work.
I didn't get a chance to go to the L.A. live free concert last year, hopefully they do something like that again this year.
I'm debating on taking public transportation to the event or driving myself there.

This will be my 4th E3! Haven't been to a GAF meet-up. When and where will info for that be available?

Typically goes up the week of or a week before, I don't remember exactly.

There will be a whole fancy thread for it.. I've been going for a couple years now but didn't make a meet up yet either!

Already requested my time off @ work.

Any gaffers want to meet up and even hang out after for some drinks and what now feel free to hit me up.

If you're flying in from far without a means of transportation I can always drive y'all and show you L.A.

I know this isn't some Craigslist connections or whatever but I'm sure there are some of you excited to come to Los Angeles along with the event.

I've never done the L.A. live thing at night so anyone else with good Intel can fill us in on that.

Top Bottom